Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    Good things come to those who wait.
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to be the 400 th post
  • Options
    Guess I was 402
  • Options
    The Dunning sale was a nice gesture, but I'm sure the seller will kick himself when he realizes that the card would have gone for $80+ on ebay. That McRae I/A ending tomorrow night is going to be very expensive and it isn't even as rare as the Dunning.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    The McRae card is actually probably rarer since there is only one example in PSA 9 or better. The Dunning card is up to 6 examples in PSA 9 or better.

I am sure a few of the PSA 8 McRae cards have been resubmitted more them once in an attempt to get a 9.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Dave- The comparison between the mcrae ia and dunning is tough. The Dunning is a high number so theoretically less copies were produced. If you figure that the Dunning has a pop of 18 in PSA 8 but 6 have been graded PSA 9. 24 graded 8 and better.In comparison the mcrae ia has 22 PSA 8's yet only one PSA 9 exists. 23 in 8 or better.If you also consider EO needs a 9 for his set , you could easily expect to be outbid for the next 9 that comes around. Then PSUINNYC would/could likely win the next one at nearly any price.

The Dunning card is two PSA 9's away from being a middle of the road 9, generally after a PSA 9 of a common player has a pop of over 7 they can be usually be had at a reasonable price. The next few psa 9 Mcrae IA's will certainly sell for BIG bucks

Another thing with the Dunning for the last 2 you bid 80 dollars on each, after previously winning one for less. If you were "one and done" and not driving the prices on subsequent copies a psa 8 Dunning the demand would decrease. Just by factoring that Jami now has a copy the demand has decreased by at least 30 percent, closer to 60 percent if I opted to wait for a 9. The next one should sell for a buck over Arny's max bid.

BTW, the mcrae ia on ebay now will be hotly contested.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Congrats on the Dunning card Jami!

By the way, keep me in mind when/if you upgrade to those 9s for those 8s that I might need! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Kennylow, check your e-mail because I responded with a couple additional cards that you need. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Hi all, just a collector of the 72 Pirates in 9 or higher. Just wanted to see if anyone is interested in trading some cards. Looking for cards #1, 60, 87, 180, 190, 228, 229, 343. I have a few nice ones to trade. #'s 223 and 268 PSA 10 1 of 1's and 3 9's #'s 222, 392, and 502 all no qualifiers. Let me know if you are interested.
    Thanks
    Ken
  • Options
    My last few ebay bids for 2005 image are running their course. I had bids on 14 items that ended this evening.....(mostly PSA 9s)..........

...I won exactly ZERO!!

• Options
    Jami,

Still plenty to bid on that end this Saturday.image
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options

<< <i>Jami,

Still plenty to bid on that end this Saturday.image >>

You definitily have some high end tough cards up for sale....(most of which will close out of my comfort spending zone)

• Options
    The PSA 8 McRae IA closed pretty high, I figured it would have gone for over a hundred. The centering was the best I have seen for the card, could be the closest to a PSA 9 to come around for a while.
    The Barton IA also went for more than I expected considering the weak centering, but it is a tough one.
    It's been a while since I've seen a newly graded Schaal IA come up. In my opinion it's probably "pound for pound" the toughest card in the set in 8 or better. Maybe someone will read this and send some in for grading.
  • Options
    Just sold a collector 1/7 of the set in PSA 9 and I'm sure he'll be registering these cards in the next few weeks.

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
  • Options
    Just wanted to let you guys know I just listed 13 PSA 8 high #'s on ebay. All the proceeds from the auctions will benefit the victims of hurricane Katrina who have sought refuge locally. Also have a related thread in the community forum. Thanks goes out to Jim Vitale (highend) who has pledged to send cards for me to sell to benefit them as well. If anyone else would like to donate PM or email me. Thanks and God bless.

Jason
  • Options
    Here's the link to Jason's charitable eBay Auctions....

CLICK AND BID!

...great job Jason! I'll open things up with a bid on each of the cards for sure! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Jason needs to put in his auctions that all proceeds will benefit hurricane victums, unless there is some EBAY policy that does not allow such.

• Options
    I've bid on all of them even though I don't need them.

Jami, not sure if he can/should do the addition of the Hurricane info on there. I remember eBay doing special things like waiving listing fees if the proceeds were going to a charity or something before.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>I've bid on all of them even though I don't need them.

>>

I put a crazy high bid on the one card I need....I hope someone tries to top my bid. image

• Options
    I just cut a deal with Mark for 110 PSA 9s for my set. This will have a huge impact on my rating. As always, Mark's price was very fair and he was very easy to deal with. I will have a large number of 8s to sell as many of these will be upgrades. Prices will be very competitive with current ebay prices.
  • Options
    Good move. That's the way to do it. You saved a ton on shipping too!! Those shipping costs really add up when your picking up one card at a time.
    Mark is great to work with.
    Did you pick up any low pop 9's?
  • Options
    Darn it Dave! LOL

I'm never gonna catch up to you at this pace!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Inching closer to Dave (until he gets that huge update!) with 5 PSA 9s including a couple of HI #s. Now, that puts me at.....8.03 78.91% 6.11 .....which is .18 behind Dave.

Well, things are getting tougher and tougher at this stage of the game. But, makes for fun card huntin'! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Thanks for your bids guys. The first time I listed these cards I had a short line in there saying the profits would benefit the hurricane refugees in my area. The next morning, ebay had cancelled them all. Apparently you can't have that in your auction desription.
  • Options
    Some semi-low pops but nothing to brag about. The best low-pop in my set is a Cleo James #117 Pop 1 of 2.

After this update my set stats will be:

81.07% Complete
    8.23 Weighted GPA
    Set Rating of 6.62

The update is primarily upgrades to my existing cards. I have created a spreadsheet for the 190 doubles I now have for sale. If anyone is interested in a great starter set or buying individual cards, send me a PM or email to Barkusd@gtlaw.com with your email address and I'll send you my spreadsheet with prices. The bigger the discount the more you buy.
  • Options
    Dave, you know that I would certainly be interested in any of the cards that I would need for my set.

I've sold just about all of my doubles at this point, but I'll take a quick look at the few that I might have to see if you need any for trade. Can you PM me the list?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Say thank you Dave for the Cleo in 9 and not realizing it was a POP 2!
  • Options
    Bob,
    I believe I said thank you. I also offered to give you the card back or pay you more. Anytime you want to sell me more cards for my 72 set I would be happy to make it up to you that way. I didn't even realize the card was a low pop until you told me.
  • Options
    I won my last official card for my set this year................I do have one more bid in on one of jason's cards: which I will win no matter how much anyone bids. ( my high bid is $100) so feel free to track that card down and to bid up to that amount.

• Options
    Submitted some 1972s and got the following in graded PSA 9

285 Gaylor Perry (fairly high pop but HOFer)
    551 Ollie Brown (pop only 6)

I wouldn't mind trading the 551 Ollie Brown for a PSA 8 and a bunch of other PSA 8 1972 Topps...but I mean a lot. Email me at kenny98z11@yahoo.com if want to discuss.

The rest in 8s and ocs, and a couple of trim jobs (blah!)
    270 Palmer PSA 8
    309 Clemente PSA 8
    620 Nekro PSA 8

1975 Topps Brett and Yount PSA 8
    1976 Topps Steve Mingori PSA 9 (pop 5)

Submission 579290
    zip 02368
  • Options
    Kenny- The Ollie Brown used to be VERY tough nine. When the pop report is updated it will show up as 1 of 7 in PSA 9. When the card was a 1/1 in PSA 9 it sold to EO for 300 bucks..... I paid 51 bucks for a 9 a few months ago.
  • Options
    Well......it appears that I am not missing much this week. The pickens on EBAY look rather slim this week........If I WAS bidding there are only two cards that I need (plus a few upgrades) available.................

I am anxiously awaiting my last few purchases that will officially put me over 90% but the mail has been slow this week......as it sometimes is here to the Islands...........

......although I did get a package from England ( a set of movie star cards from 1940) that only took five days........Go figure?

• Options
    Jami- At 90% the pickens will be less and less. I'm sure at least one of those cards you mentioned will be hotly contested.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I am usually relieved when I look on eBay and don't find anything to bid on.... Its those days when I find 6 different PSA 10's that I need and know will close in 3 days AND cost me a grand to $1500 to win that scare me. I try to suppress the competitive spirit and simply stick to my best bid - but sometimes its VERY tough...

And Bob, if it makes you feel any better - your Cleo James 9 was the 3rd. I actually bought the 1 of 2 when Dave Read broke up his set 4 months ago. image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Well, I picked up a dozen cards (five of them 9s w/Hi #s) which puts me at almost 80% complete.

Here are the stats....8.04 79.54% 6.18 image

Still a bit off my 'competitors', but I'll get there!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Well.....the Bud harrelson BH card that ended today was the first of its kind that i have seen this year.............

...it is a tough card that has not been spoken about.............

...it went for more then i would have bid........but rightfully so......

• Options
    I was mildly disappointed that I didn't win the card, but it found a good home in Larry's set anyway.

• Options
    Couple of upgrades arrived in the mail today.

Set stands at 8.05 79.54% 6.18 image

I'm a smidge below 80% and that's amazing to me. I can't believe that I'm at this stage in a 3 month period.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I bid on the Harrelson anticipating that the scarcity would be overlooked. Not this time. I got the one in my set with my first bulk purchase. I certainly paid a lot less than the one that just sold on ebay and mine has a strong chance for a crack-out 9.
  • Options
    Arny,

BTW ,the lmayer ( Larry Mayer) they were referring to in that other thread is the owner of the #15 set in our registry (BBCARDS4U)

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Dave,

Got your PM and for some reason the system won't let me reply to it directly. I definitely have some extra 72's in 8 and 9 sitting around. Not sure what I have that you need but will check your set this week. Shoot me an email to lynnfrank@earthlink.net and we'll go from there.

Frank

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    I was looking for our thread and noticed that some guys must've been playing some games and this thread ended up on page 6 or something.

Just bumping back to page 1.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Well.....once again this thread was about to sink into the second page...........

• Options
    Jami- I think that's a sure sign for you to come off your hiatus........image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    was looking for our thread and noticed that some guys must've been playing some games and this thread ended up on page 6 or something.

Just one guy, named cardhunter. he replied to 120 plus threads in a matter of minutes the other nite.

SD

Good for you.
  • Options
    In another life I got into with Ylder and he hit me with barrage pm's some as lengthy as a doctorate thesis. I actually started to feel bad for the guy and was afraid he might actually kill himself if he didn't start taking his meds.
  • Options
    Alright, back to the set. I added about a half dozen cards or so and have now surpassed the 80% plateau! image

Current stats....8.05 80.56% 6.23 image

Hope to find someone with a good sized lot of the cards that I'm missing, but with less than 20% of the set to go, not sure if that'll happen anytime soon. Most of the lots that I see for sale lately are less than 20 cards in size and generally only have one or two cards at most from what I need.

For those of you putting the set together, I've got dupes of the following mid to high pops....#78 Steve Arlin PSA 8, #97 Tom Kelley PSA 8, #249 Harry Walker PSA 8, #328 Red Sox Team PSA 8, #360 Dave Roberts PSA 8, #537 Bob Locker PSA 8 (Low Pop!) & #675 Pat Jarvis PSA 8 (Hi #!)

So, please PM me or send me an e-mail to SCMAuctions@aol.com if you are interested in trading or purchasing these cards outright.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Nice job Arny.

Bob Locker a low pop ? 25 psa 8's and 9 psa 9's of this card have been graded. I get a kick out the "low pop" phenomena. Is there really a stronger market for this card ? There are 34 of them in 8 or better. The nine psa 9's make it a pretty easy common in PSA 9 as well.
  • Options
    From what I understand, anything in the 30 or less is considered a low pop card. Look at the current numbers and compare. Most of the others that I've got listed are in the 40 to 50 in just PSA 8. The Locker card does go for a premium versus the rest of the cards on eBay.

With 34 PSA 8 or better out there and about 25 'active' and updating members of the 1972 PSA Set Registry (Plus, any team or certain player collectors) make it a more difficult card to get. Or, in our terms...a low pop card. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards