Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    Wow, who woulda' thunk it.....500 posts already. Originally just started it as a way to celebrate my little purchases of the '72s and look what we've done! image

Jami, I just posted about all my dupes being dealt as well. Looks like our set is really exploding with popularity right now. I like that! image

Mick, I agree with you on the Javier. I say it goes for $245. What do you guys think?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    You can never tell where some of these cards will wind up pricewise. Especially PSA 10's...

The number of people who will pay over $200 for a 72 PSA 10 is a very, VERY small group and there are times where one or more of us will forego bidding if we've just made a $2-$3K purchase the week before. You can only buy so much before the wife starts to question why the checking account balance has dropped so much... And there is something to be said about household harmony...

Earlier this week, I won the 1/1 Billy Martin IA PSA 10 from Gaspipe for $161. I know its first series, but those of us who grew up in the NY area during the 70's have a special fondness for Martin. I expected it to go over $200. Mark Wingard's 1/1 Koosman IA PSA 10 I knew was not going cheap (High Series, tough card in 8 and 9, Met, just below HOF status, etc.). But, I figured a bid in the low $400's should be enough to bring him home to a Met fan... and I was right. But, I was looking over my shoulder for Larry Mayer's bid and got beat by Steve Axeman who works on Mets team sets. Sometimes the team set collectors will bid much heavier than the full set collectors on the 1/1's.

But even then - 1/1's don't really mean much... There was a time when I had over 40 PSA 9 72's in my set that were 1/1. Some of them are now in the 20 pop range. So, I don't mind losing when the price goes above where I'm willing to pay - I'm confident that there will be another eventually.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Frank> Something that set builders often forget about the team set guys is that the team set guys generally only need a max of 30 cards from a given set - where in the case of 72T, you need 787. That's a big difference in determining how much you're willing to pay for each card.

Mike

So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Thanks to a couple of large direct purchases, my set is now over 90% complete and in the 10th position. With an 8.44 GPA and additional upgrades, my set should have a legitimate shot at a top 5 position once completed. Only a few low pops remaining and I already have the Kendall card, which is supposed to be the toughest. Thanks to Jim V., Mark W. and Frank B. for all the help.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Hello to everyone. My name is Andy and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a 1972 PSA 9 Baseball set. My set is currently ranked #19 at PSA and can be viewed. My Partial set consist of 264 card all in PSA 9 with no qualifiers. All of the cards are centered with 4 strong corners as they have been cherry picked over the years. I have been a 1972 collector for quite some time now. This was actually my second time around as I sold my first one a while back but have now decided to sell this one as well. If anyone is interested or have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. My email address is the following. amontero5@aol.com

Thank you. Andy M.
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jack in PSA 7's & 8's!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Andy, I sent you an e-mail already in case you look here first.

I won a card tonight, so that brings me down to 148 cards to go! I'm trying a 'countdown' now for myself to keep me motivated (like I need it! image ) in completing the set.

Puts me at the following stats....8.04 82.59% 6.40....so, little by little. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny- I just emailed you!
  • Options
    Right back at 'cha....
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Andy--- I PM'd you
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    Andy Montero...

Hmmm... Name rings a bell....

ANDY!!! HOW THE HECK ARE YOU!!!!!!! I THOUGHT YOU HAD DROPPED OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!!!

Guys - Andy's first 72 set was neck and neck with me, Olander and Jarvi as we built them. Then one day he announced that he received an offer that he "couldn't refuse" and was taking the cash and would slowly start again since he built mostly by his own submissions. I remember thinking that I wished that I had made the contact instead of him because the money was tremendous at the time!

Oh - and when Andy says that he's a stickler for HIGH END, well centered cards - he is not lying. I've bought 8's from Andy where I couldn't find anything short of perfection. Andy has also done a number of deals with Mike Castaldi as well.

Welcome back to the boards Andy!

Frank

Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank

I'm doing fine and thank you for your kind words. Although I'm planing on selling this 1972 set once again, I'm still collecting PSA cards from other years. As Frank mentioned, whoever buys this partial 1972 PSA 9 Set will be a very happy camper with the condition of these cards. If anyone is interested, please make me an offer!

amontero5@aol.com

Thanks,
    Andy
  • Options
    Guys. . .if you've ever dealt with Andy, you know what a stickler he is. Andy simply doen't buy just any PSA9. Any card he accepts for his sets has to be perfect. I don't know of any 72 collector who had more stringent standards than Andy. I can assure you, you'll be ridicuously happy with any card you get from him.

Mike
  • Options
    Got 2 more cards....down to 146 to go!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I've now inched ahead of Derek's set to become the new #3 current finest with my most recent upgrades with more to come over the next week or so.

SW
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    The sale of my three PSA 10's went well......this money raised will go along way in helping me complete my set without the wife complaining too much...............I can now pay for a 19 card lot which is waiting for me.........once received I will need less then 40 cards to finish my set.

......Thank you Frank and Bill.....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options

<< <i>I've now inched ahead of Derek's set to become the new #3 current finest with my most recent upgrades with more to come over the next week or so.

SW >>

SW.....Congrats on moving up the ladder and passing this Derek fellow whoever he may be.......I know he bought many of his cards from Dave Read but other then that he is an unknown. ( at least to me)

It is nice to see yourself and FB and other first and second generation 72 collectors contribute to our little thread. image

Jami

• Options
    No problem Jami...
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Congrats MachoDoc! #3 finest is definitely a big accomplishment!

I won a couple of cards last night (2 HI #s) on the Bay, purchased a few cards from Dave via Naxcom (which I haven't added yet) and picked up a couple of cards from an unnamed source (image ) which puts me at only 133 cards to go! Woo hoo!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Dave B,
    Your 98 card 1972 lot was mailed today.

gaspipe
  • Options
    Thanks Bob. Always a pleasure dealing with you. Let me know whenever you have new 72s. I am happy to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Finally! One of the toughest is now....mine! Behold, the elusive....McRae IA!

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I've also picked up a few cards here and there and have been adding them to my set. I'm now down to needing 131 (not counting some off-eBay deals I've got going image ) to complete the set! image

By the way, Dave...you are leaving us all in the dust! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Another couple of off-eBay deals getting finished off should get me a lot closer. But, for now I'm down to needing 127 cards! image

The 100% countdown is on! Unfortunately, it's gonna get stalled at around 20 or so left because of those tough low pop cards and/or a couple of tougher star cards. But, so far so good! image

By the way, has anyone kept an eye on BBCards4U's set? He's charging up the ranks and has almost all 9s and quite a few 10s in that thing! Wow, that's gonna be a contender for a top spot for sure!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>

By the way, has anyone kept an eye on BBCards4U's set? He's charging up the ranks and has almost all 9s and quite a few 10s in that thing! Wow, that's gonna be a contender for a top spot for sure! >>

Arny,

If you check out the list of BBCards4U's other sets, (and his website) you will see he is a man with a BOTTOMLESS pocket!!!!

• Options
    Dave, got the box of 9 cards that I bought from you. Thanks!

Here are my current stats (for my tracking purposes image )....8.04 84.50% 6.55 image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Expect Larry to add more cards anyday, I'm surprised at his aggressive buying in regard to the 72's. He was a "low ball" guy for a while. Not so anymore.

Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭
    Larry has been aggresively buying cards for lots of different sets of late.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    The first time I noticed Larry's name on a bid was for the Killerbrew IA PSA 10 which is still 1/1. I remember he paid over $1500 for it. I would say an agressive bid!!

....... You can buy this card from him off his website for I believe $3200+

• Options
    I have bought, sold and traded cards with Larry. He is a great guy. I think he unfairly gets a bad rap on these boards. He likes high end cards and he has no problem paying for them. He is also willing to sell any card he has for the right price. I think most of us are the same way, just with more limited funds. There is not a card in my collection I wouldn't sell for the right price. The more difficult a card would be to replace, the more I would want before I am willing to sell it. We all pay for convenience. If you want the 1/1 Killibrew 10, you could have outbid Larry when the card was at auction, pay his price now or wait for the next one.
  • Options
    .......ain't got no problem with Larry.....and see no reason why he should have a bad rap.......

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen Larry get a bad rap. But I agree, he is a great guy!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    Wow...couple of big cards going for big money tonight. Dave ended up with both the Vida Blue IA ($93) and the Schaal IA ($177). Let us get a Blue Dave! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    So, has anyone purchased any unopened '72 material to open and submit? I've thought about it, but never looked into it. Must cost a pretty penny...especially some of the higher series. Plus, who knows if you end up with a lot of OC stuff....sheesh, what a gamble that must be. But, gotta be some great fun bustin' those things!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Larry Is a great guy to deal with, I never heard anyone say anything bad about the guy. He did/does have a reputation as a low ball bidder and some sellers will grouse when he wins an auction because they felt the could have got more or maybe just sold at the wrong time, but by the same token; a bid is a bid and regardless, it raises the increment. I trust Larry enough to send him thousands of dollars of cards before receiving payment. Believe it or not, he does sell cards off his site at those prices too.

Arny - Buying unopened is huge crapshoot. I paid 3500 for a 1972 series 3 wax box from BBcardexchange, great box, great seller but I didn't come close to recouping the initial outlay. If I had scored a an Aaron ia in Psa 9 and the right combination of 9's and 10's it would have been a win. Alas, I didn't , no tens 33 9's including a Clemente and Clemente ia, a bunch of 8's no McRAE and some real nice raw mint oc cards.
    It was fun ripping them packs open though!
  • Options
    I have to admit that I don't have the stomach for opening up unopened material in hopes of catching gobs of PSA 10's.

I HAVE found that I've done better by buying high end complete sets. I used to buy them on eBay when I could snag them for $2K or so and at Ft. Washington - now I'm more concerned that the cards have been picked through than they used to be.

I had one set that I bought from eBay in NM-MT condition that had 470 "submittable" cards. So, I shipped them in on a $5 special about 3 years ago and came away with 0 PSA 10's, 221 PSA 9's, 230 PSA 8's and the rest lower or OC. The downside was that I was only able to upgrade about 15 cards! But, I did replace another 50 with nicer looking examples.

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Finally picked up a Sparky Anderson card last night at a good price and the Cubs team (tough little cookie) at another decent price. I'm now down to needing 124 cards to complete the set. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Got me the #1 card in the set...Bucs Champs! Not bad for $16. Down to 123 left to finish the set. But, I missed out on another Vida Blue IA card to someone image

I've got about a 1/2 dozen cards coming in, so soon to be under 120 to go! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I have put my mostly RAW 72 Topps Complete Set up for auction on EBAY. This set was my predecessor set to my graded set, started way before I even realized about graded cards and PSA.

Mind you this set is of little interest to a PSA collector but it is still a nice set just the same. I am positive at this point in time there are more raw collectors out there then graded collectors.

• Options
    Good luck with it Jami!

I picked up three PSA 9 cards today that have been toughies for me to find even in 8...#245 Tommie Agee, #418 Tom Shopay & #546 Joe Hague. Down to 117 and unofficially less than that! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    FB> "I had one set that I bought from eBay in NM-MT condition that had 470 "submittable" cards. So, I shipped them in on a $5 special about 3 years ago and came away with 0 PSA 10's, 221 PSA 9's, 230 PSA 8's and the rest lower or OC."

That was your result 3 years ago. Care to speculate on what the results would be if those were submitted today?

Mike
  • Options
    All 9 and 10's......image
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Thoughts on the PSA 10 Ryan that closed tonight? Apparently it is a 1/3 - when i stopped tracking them it was a 0/0. Any input appreciated.
  • Options
    Congrats to FB for picking up the above mentioned Ryan.........that should get your GPA up another .01.....

• Options
    I can't say I'm surprised that Frank won the card but I was half expecting it to land with a Ryan collector rather than a 72 guy.
  • Options
    I was just checking out some new listings on EBAY..........we have this seller (707sportscards) listing PSA 9 for starting bids starting out at $99 or some at $125......is this seller insane??? He has a Rick Renick card for instance. I just bought one on ebay for exactly $15.

• Options
    Levi (707) is one of the most respected dealers ever. If he doesnt get his price he doesnt sell the card. I agree the $$ is very high, but a seller has the right to list at any $ amount he wishes. I dont think I'd call Levi insane.
  • Options
    707 has perfect feedback.......that alone says alot...........but still.....I guess if he sells one of these cards he has had a good day.

• Options
    707 is and always will be a retailer. He gets top dollar. I will admit I'll be surprised if that one sells.
  • Options
    Congrats FB! A Ryan in 10! You have outdone yourself with that addition.
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Frank,

Great snag on the Ryan! I've made some progress too, but I'm hardly a threat to you. Eric on the other hand better check his six.

BTW, nobody beats Levi. Period. Yup, his prices can be high, but he has managed to thrive in this business since 1988, and there are damn few dealers that can claim that much success.

SW