Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Having been doing this a few months longer then Dave and Arny, (which doesn't make me any more an expert) starting prices haven't really changed that much in 9 months. Most auctions for commons started at $5.99 or $6.99. I rarerly have seen (or won ) cards starting at less then $4.99. (there have been exceptions.) There have always some sellers who try to push the envelope by having a $9.99
    starting price.

I probably have averaged about $6.50 per high pop common plus S/H. The trick was to save on the S/H by winning multiple items or buying large lots, even if I had to turn right around and sell some duplicates.
    Now most of the cards I need are semi or low pop cards. I am lucky if I win one card in a night so there is no longer savings on S/H.

I have noticed one difference from say 6 months ago: There are very few large lots up for auction. I bought at least five "lots" of over 50 cards. ( and there were many more I did not bid on). There were even a few lots of PSA 9 cards!! I have seen almost no auctions for large lots recently.

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Jami, I noticed that myself. Very few lots of '72s are being offered. I've picked up only a couple of lots in the two and a half months collecting this set. Most of the 'lots', have been done 'off-eBay' for me.

When I started this set, Jami was about at my level (approx 75% complete)....it's not from lack of bidding or trying to win cards, but now we see when the 'tougness' of the 1972 Monster comes in!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Bidding wars on some cards make it so foolish to put stuff up for lot sales. Sometimes I get lucky with lots that I win that have low pop cards in them. Its all about doing your homework.
  • Options

<< <i>Bidding wars on some cards make it so foolish to put stuff up for lot sales. Sometimes I get lucky with lots that I win that have low pop cards in them. Its all about doing your homework. >>

Agreed about doing homework..........................

• Options
    I was able to pick up a total of 5 cards tonight for the set including a PSA 9.

And, I noticed that I was outbid on a couple by my friends Dave and Jami! image

Oh well, can't win 'em all!

PS. I was also able to add almost a dozen '75 Minis for very low bids tonight as well. I've started that set officially on the side as I see cards that are affordable here and there.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I just picked up a nice lot of cards offline from Jason. Very fair price and the group will put me a good bid ahead of Arny when I receive it. Looking forward to getting back to the 12 spot and this deal puts me over the 70% barrier.

Arny, not fair picking up 75 minis without talking to me first. I thought we were going to decide which set to tackle next? I have enjoyed the competition.

Does anyone keep track of the amounts they have paid for their cards relative to SMR? I am currently at 67% of SMR for my 72 set. I wonder how that compares to others?
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    Dave, I actually just decided a couple of nights ago. Sorry, forgot to tell you! image

I've kept track of each and every card and how much I've paid for them. But, I don't have a total percentage in comparison to SMR. I know that I've invested around $4500 up to this point though.

I picked up a total of 7 cards tonight, not 5. So, I'm currently at 5.87 set rating and nearly a 76% completion rate at this point. image

Gotta live it up until Dave jumps up and takes my spot again!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I keep a running total of what i have spent on the 72 sets. That total includes my second mostly raw set and all S/H charges......

....two cards added tonight...........

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone keep track of the amounts they have paid for their cards relative to SMR? I am currently at 67% of SMR for my 72 set. I wonder how that compares to others? >>

Although I am not actively pursuing the completion of my '72 set at this time (I am currently 16th on the registry behind you guys), I have spent 43.4% of SMR on my 400+ '72s so far. The reason for this is that the majority of my grades were from my own submissions from nice raw sets I have had for awhile. I suspect later on as I pursue completion and my submittable cards dry up completely, that my $$ spent relative to SMR will steadily climb. Those pesky low pops will really get me before all is said and done.

David

PS I have enjoyed reading this thread. You guys are a great group!
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    1974 Topps Baseball PSA 8+

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
  • Options
    I checked my mail today and found a padded envelope that had a post mark from March 30th. In it was a Steve Stone card I had long ago given up on. ( and had long ago replaced)

There was more then enough postage................I guess it took the scenic tour to St Thomas! image

• Options
    Added a few cards from the last day or so that I've won. Now, currently at 5.91 set rating and still hangin' onto that 12th spot and bracing for Dave's update! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ......added my third PSA 10 to my set. (# 628 Terry Crowley). This was the result of one two many adult beverages; althought at $122 the price was reasonable enough. With it and three other upgraded my weighted GPA creeped up one point. When all is said and done I would like to have GPA of about 8.25.

I had posed a question a week or so back about factory rough cuts and how the rough cut might affect grading.

One of the cards I added today was an Ed Farmer PSA 9. This card seems flawless except for the roughest cut I have ever seen on a 72 card. It was so rough it actually left both left corners fuzzy.

Without the rough cut the card could be a PSA 10......but wouldn't two fuzzy corners usually preclude a card from being a PSA 9?

I haven't had much luck uploading scans here or else I would show you......

• Options
    In my large submission to PSA, I inevitably got back some PSA 7s. With some of the low pop cards, I just submitted if they even had a remote shot at PSA 8. Anyway, is there interest for any of these low pop PSA 7 cards or should I not even bother listing them. Thanks.

Some of the low pop PSA 7s of note:

#2 Ray Culp
    #36 Jerry Johnson IA
    #48 John Ellis IA
    #312 Clay Carroll IA
    #384 Dave Campbell
    #408 im Northrup
    #542 Jack Billingham
    #570 Ed Kirkpatrick IA
    #649 Pete Richert
    #670 Holtzman
    #663 Fran Healy
    #708 Foli IA
    #734 Bob Burda
    #737 Len Randle
    #786 Chuck Brinkman
  • Options
    Kalch,

You have two options........list them individually at a $2.99 starting price.......or sell them as a lot.

I am ashamed to say that I actually have a few PSA 7s of the REALLY low pop cards in my set.

Jami

• Options
    Personally, I'm opposed to adding anything less than an 8 to my set. But, that's just me. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Not much news for my set. One card added, now at the following stats.....

8.02 76.49% 5.92

....just getting ready to feel the wind from Dave passin' me by soon! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Added two commons tonight....76.75% complete now.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Hi, just wanted to let everybody know I just listed a group of PSA 8 HOFers and PSA 9 commons. As usual, If a board member wins any of my cards, shipping is on me.

Thanks--Jason
  • Options
    Jason, I forgot to ask you about PSA 9 commons.....oh well, I'll drop some bids on some, I'm sure. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Both Dave and I felt the brunt of Hurricane Kristen. Thankfully my family and I escaped unharmed with only minor property damage.

Dave, are things okay with you and yours?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    We are fine here. Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    Having gone through more them my share of hurricanes down here in the islands, I can sympathize.......

• Options
    Has anyone noticed that since we have started this "Official" thread how many other "official" threads have popped up?

• Options
    Well, when something is successfull, it will be duplicated! image

Seriously though, I think that it's the best way to do things and keep them organized. This way, anyone interested in those particular sets can voice their opinion or offer their cards that are for sale or trade.

Plus, I think that we have the best guys posting on these boards and there's a real comraderie here.

PS. I added two cards yesterday for the '72 set so my stats are now....8.02 77.00% 5.96
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Just a friendly reminder (AKA Ebay Spam) that my 72s are ending tonight.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Mine too.
  • Options
    I wonder if Steve Dunning knows that his 1972 card is worth more than Clemente's....

• Options
    well , I thought when I checked back in here I'd see at least a couple of new members to the 90% club.

A couple of suprises, the last Vida Blue IA went for nearly 2x what I expected. It was a nice one, and I believe it was the last card Brad Horton needed to upgrade for an 8 and better set.

Card # 14 Phillies Rookies, a deceptively tough card went for less than I expected.

I guess, I shouldn't be too surprised that yet another Dunning closed at 81.00 with Barkus as the underbidder, the winner is a veteran to the 72 registry.

Another , #524 Reds Rookies to Barkus, a very well centered example of the notoriously OC card. I would resumbit that one at least 3 or 4 times to try and score a PSA 9.

Has anyone else noticed that with the renewed interest in the 72 registry the "tough cards" are coming out of the wood work ? A couple of newly graded blue ia, mcrae ia, 3 dunnings, 3 marshall's, 1 or 2 reds rookies.
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    ......unofficially I am one card short of 90%........but I don't add them till I get them

For sure there is lots of action in the 72 set registry......13 of the top 16 sets have updated/upgraded their sets in the last 5 days.

Populations of SOME of the low pop cards have been slowly creeping up.............Grote has gone from 17 in PSA 8 TO 26 in PSA 8 in the last 7 months.

I see there is a Dunning PSA 9 up now on ebay......

• Options
    Yup, a lot of action on the '72s lately.

I added a total of 8 commons (1 of them Hi #s) to my set and I'm currently sitting at these numbers...

8.02 77.89% 6.03

....this is the biggest addition in number of cards for the last three weeks for me in one day. I'm now used to only adding one or two at the most on certain days. Oh well, I'm real close to the 80% mark which is huge for me this quick! Can't believe it. I had to buy another two MJ Roop Archive boxes for the additional cards that I've been getting. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I saw that Dunning, and was trying to keep it quiet.......image

That's the 5th PSA 9 Dunning. So, I would imagine a PSUINNYC and GLibersher will be fighting for it. The market is getting harder to predict but I'd bet it goes for over 150.00.

At the moment I'm still recovering from a few offline deals and my vacation but I hope to bid aggressively on at least some of the tougher cards that Mark Wingard will be offering.
  • Options
    I am back up to number 12 after a 40+ card offline deal I made with Jason. Not sure why the Dunning sells for more than the Reds Rookies, but I guess its just a matter of who needs the cards.

I plan to crack and resubmit a number of the PSA 8 low pop cards I have bought. Often times if you have 3 or 4 examples, one will get a PSA 9.

Even with the renewed interest, there still are plenty of deals. I have been able to add a good number of PSA 9s to my set in the under $25 range (many below $20).
  • Options
    david- you are right about sending in 3 or 4 of the same card in hopes of getting a bump up, although you would have to consider that with a weak 8 you could get knocked down too. In any event, good luck. I'm curious to see how it turns out with that Red Rookies, the centering certainly falls within published standards for a 9.

I noticed that Jimmy3673 is bidding on 72's again. He is an aggressive bidder. If you factor him and Larry Mayer going head to head the prices for 9's will increase at least for the short term.

I'm considering putting my set on hold until things calm down a little. The PSA 9's that I had been able to win virtually uncontested in the 17 to 20 dollar range are selling more regularly in the 30 dollar range. It's turning into a seller's market again and I may turn my attention toward finding 60's stars at a bargain. I can't complain though, I was able to pick up close to 500 psa 9's for MY price.
  • Options
    I bought a real nice 1972 Topps set where about 500 of the cards were in NM-MT or better condition. I have been upgrading the rest of the non-deserving cards by buying PSA 8 and PSA 9 cards. I haven't put my set on the registry because most of the cards are ungraded (and will likely remain that way since I'm keeping the set), but here are the cards I need in PSA 8 or 9:

2 20 22 36 40 41 44 46 50 54 69 73 76 93 94 117 132 135 136 143 144 150 151 152 164 166 167 174 175 176 178 182 184 185 189 190 193 208 210 226 228 230 239 240 241 242 245 246 256 258 263 269 272 277 280 292 293 294 296 300 301 304 306 308 319 321 322 337 340 342 346 361 366 372 378 385 390 391 394 396 403 405 408 409 4241 423 432 433 434 436 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 448 452 453 454 455 463 465 467 469 470 475 480 483 484 487 492 496 498 501 504 509 511 515 518 519 520 540 541 543 554 556 567 568 572 574 580 581 596 598 599 600 619 621 635 642 646 657 662 665 666 667 669 681 683 694 695 696 697 698 701 702 704 706 708 710 713 717 720 722 723 729 730 732 734 737 738 740 747 751 753 755 756 757 761 763 773 775 779 782 784 786

If anyone has a decent sized lot (5 or more) that they like to sell me, please email me at kenny98z11@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks to everybody who bid on my stuff. If you've paid, cards go out tomorrow.

Now, here's a "quick and dirty" way to get some completion percentage cheap. You can always upgrade later....

1972 Topps PSA .... Missed
  • Options
    kennylow, I'll be sending you an e-mail shortly with 5 that you need.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Aside from the 5 that I just e-mailed kenny, I've got a few duplicates (all PSA 8s) that are available for sale or trade. I'd rather trade for other '72s that I need or '75 minis that I need. But, here's the list.....

#79 Fisk/Oglivie RC
    #181 Ed Kranepool
    #205 Dick Drago
    #323 Earl Weaver
    #344 Dave McNally BHP
    #410 Fergie Jenkins
    #476 Lee Richard
    #558 John Odom IA
    #615 Steve Hargan
    #618 Rich Robertson
    #718 Del Rice

....again, these are available to any who need them and I'd rather offer them here than go on eBay. But, whatever isn't moved before Sunday will be going on eBay.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Just to get an idea of how hot the 72's are right now, 17 of the top 20 sets have been updated in the last week. I can't recall ever seeing that before.
  • Options
    I see Olander finaly picked up one of the 6 cards he needed.........(Aaron IA of all cards 1of 2).......

...Good for him!!!image

• Options
    Jami had mentioned something about the '72s being updated like that. Amazing, isn't it?

Glad to see that a couple of new guys added to the mix like Dave and I really got the '72s started again! And, deservedly so! Great set.

Of course, now I'm back down to #13 because of Dave's big update. But, I'll try and move up as soon as possible! My stats at this point are... 8.02 78.02% 6.04
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Congrats to Mark Wagner the 7th ranked set is apparently complete. Nice job!
  • Options
    That's a great achievement! Congratulations Mark!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Gentlemen,

With Sept 1st just around the corner, this will be my last week this year that I spend money in the attempt to finish my 72 set. I am basically self-employed and my business does not generate enough income in the last few months of the year to have extra money to spend.

December 1st of last year I started this set with the idea of spending two years to complete...........i am way ahead of that schedule..............................

...but my completion will wait untill next year ............

I am one or two cards short of 90% completion and I will reach that ..............

............I have my FREE submissions all ready to go but not yet sent...plus I have numorous bids in that end this week.......

.....I will still be watching and contributing to this thread and wishing everyone the best..........

...Hopefully in four months everyone will complete their set and their will be lots of cheap tough cards available.............

regards.........Jami

• Options
    Jami- Looking forward to seeing you back in action. I have followed your progress and have been rooting for you. It's all about timing, and I think your hiatus will ultimately save you money.
  • Options
    Hello all,

On Sunday I listed a batch of 1972 Topps PSA cards in addition to some others. Nothing extremely special, but most cards are high end for their grade and I have provided high-resolution scans to demonstrate that fact. Since I'll be combining shipping charges as stated in my auctions, this could be a good opportunity to pick up a nice batch of cards with significant savings compared to individual purchases. Also, rest assured that I ship very quickly and carefully. All graded cards are sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard, wrapped in bubble pack, sealed in a bubble mailer, and then mailed the following business day with tracking number provided. Here's a link and a list of what I'm selling:

My Auctions

1972 Toppst #81 Mike Hedlund PSA 8 NM MINT Royals
    1972 Topps #220 Jim Perry PSA 8 NM MINT Twins
    1972 Topps #266 Bobby Bolin PSA 8 NMMT 72 Red Sox
    1972 Topps #282 Astros Team PSA 8 NM MINT 72
    1972 Topps #378 Series 4 Checklist PSA 7 NR MINT 72
    1972 Topps #419 Jim Spencer PSA 8 NM MINT 72 Angels
    1972 Topps #691 Curt Blefary PSA 6 EX MINT 72 A's
    1972 Topps #722 Bill Sudakis PSA 7 NR MINT 72 Mets
    1972 Topps #728 Gail Hopkins PSA 7 NR MINT 72 Royals
    1972 Topps #744 Jim Slaton PSA 7 NR MINT 72 Brewers
    1972 Topps #746 Lowell Palmer PSA 7 NR MINT 72 White Sox

1974 Topps #134 Denis Menke PSA 9 MINT 74 Reds
    1974 Topps #218 Johnny Briggs PSA 9 MINT 74 Brewers
    1974 Topps #313 Barry Lersch PSA 9 MINT 74 Phillies
    1974 Topps #365 Steve Busby PSA 9 MINT 74 Royals
    1974 Topps #385 Don Gullett PSA 9 MINT 74 Reds
    1974 Topps #425 Pete Broberg PSA 9 MINT 74 Rangers

1975 Hostess Panel Dave Lopes, Wilbur Wood, Steve Renko PSA 9 MINT
    1975 Hostess Panel Ron Cey, Darrell Porter, STEVE CARLTON PSA 9 MINT
    1975 Hostess Panel JOE TORRE, Ted Sizemore, Bobby Grich PSA 9 MINT
  • Options
    Jami, I can't imagine that you still won't throw some entry-level type bids on cards here and there. Do you actually have the willpower to simply not even look on eBay? I'm now going to be selling off a lot (if not all) of my 'other' cards and memorabilia (raw cards, autographed baseballs, etc) to supply my 'habit' of the '72s and the '75 minis. So, I understand where you are coming from.

You were the person that initially got me started on the '72s by answering a couple of questions early on in my 'research' as to which early 70's set to attempt. So, I thank you for that. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Jami, ..... Do you actually have the willpower to simply not even look on eBay? >>

I will be attending my first 12 step meeting on Thursday............image

• Options
    Well, this morning it appears that a PSA 8 example of the elusive Dunning card will be heading my way......A fellow 72 collecter in PA who has an 85+% graded set (not registered) was kind enough to contact me with the availability of the card. (and two others I need)

I told him he should stop by here and say hello. (if he hasn't done it already)....and to register his set!!

If you read this........thanks ......... the check is in the mail....image

• Options
    ALRIGHT !! great news Jami. Did you get it for less than 80 bucks?
  • Options

<< <i>ALRIGHT !! great news Jami. Did you get it for less than 80 bucks? >>

OH yeah.......image