Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    I just want everyone to know that despite my reputation as a high bidder, I am outbid on cards I want 4 out of every 5 times. The 72 set is very popular and since Arny and I started on this little quest, prices have been increasing. Where are all the sellers? If I had a stockpile of 72s this would be the time I would sell (or grade raw cards).
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    I have three 1972 high numbers out on the bay right now and the bids are quite low, FYI.

My auctions

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    The only one I need is the Baker and I bid $15 for it. Arny topped me at $15.02 (what's new). That card will get Arny a few more points towards the standings.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have three 1972 high numbers out on the bay right now and the bids are quite low, FYI.

My auctions

Mike >>

........am not of the school of showing my hand too soon.image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Keep it going guys!

I'm having a blast just seeing you guys having a blast! There hasn't been this much life in the 72 registry in years!!!

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Thanks Frank!

I'm definitely having a blast with this set. And, with Dave, Jami, Maggio, J.Walnutz & Jason when he gets back into things......just makes it that much more fun. That's part of the problem with my '84 Donruss set. I'm at 90%, yet only competing with one person and the submissions have dried up. So, there's no 'fun' in it right now. But, I'm still keeping an eye on the auctions to make sure that I can upgrade whenever possible and hope that I get a card or two before having to submit them all myself.

I'm thinking of getting two examples of each card that I need (have almost two of each already) and submitting them myself. But, I'm trying to be patient and hope that they appear at some point.

Oh well....back to the '72s! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Frank,

Must admit I was disappointed to see you let Larry win my recent 1/1 PSA 10 high number card I had up for auction. You slipping or something???!!!!

Mike

• Options
    Well, I see that Dave won a few cards tonight. I picked up a great auction for me as a 10-card lot (including 6 that I needed) was out there and I just outbid Dave for it! image

Picked up the elusive Frisella, Aparicio IA, Catfish, W.Stargell, B.Williams & Red Sox Team cards that I needed. I'll be able to sell off the other four (McCovey, Seaver IA & two commons) and make up about $50 of the cash I put out there. All in all, I was happy with the deal.

Dave is still ahead of me though at 4.64 to 4.62! Doh! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny,

I did notice the three lots, even placing some low ball bids. Six months ago I would have been all over those lots and won them all. I cannot understand why any seller would not break these lots up and sell the cards individually. Not only did each lot contain HOFers but each lot also had some hidden gems.....some low pop cards. ( the sum of the parts in this case is worth more then the whole)

Oh well.......good deals for you and dave

Jami

• Options
    I was certainly pleased to win the lot. I should have bid more on the lot Arny won. Arny, let me know what doubles you bought. I picked up about 12 cards I needed and I think 9 extras. I picked up card 627 Moe Drabowsky which is the 16th toughest card to find in PSA 8 or better. That's my second one. It will be great for trade or sale.

Arny, I'm now up to 4.96 with recent acquisitions. Can't wait to add them to my set.

• Options
    Dave, I'll confirm which ones I'll have dupes of and drop you a PM.

I already had the Moe, so I wasn't as motivated (although I had some good bids on the other ones) to get those.

Either today or tomorrow I should receive about 20 cards (if I recall correctly) from Jason, so we'll see where that puts me overall. I haven't checked to see where that leaves me, but I hope that puts me somewhere close to your 4.96.

Either way, good night for us with those lots. That's the way to go. Jami, I'm also surprised to have seen the seller sell them in groups of cards like that. I can see a bunch of mid to high pop commons in a lot (like my 7 cards that I have up for auction right now), but not HOF and low pop commons like that. Oh well, better for guys like us! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ttt..............(didn.t want this thread to end up on page 2)

• Options
    I dont even collect 72's and I like reading this thread!
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    EOMINTEOMINT Posts: 349
    Repeat, can somebody please find me the 6 cards I need to finish this set, I will pay up for them, I just want to finish this damn thing.
  • Options
    smallstocks,

Not slipping - just cost conscious...

Larry has been putting in some strong bids on 72 PSA 10's. If you check out his website, I don't believe that he realizes that the prices have come down from the $350-$400 range. Plus, with my recent purchase from Dave Read - I'm much more cash poor than I was two months ago!

Also - don't forget. I've been at this set for a long time... There was one point where I had 42 different 1972 PSA 9 1/1's. Now, none of them are 1/1. High grade PSA's are like Doritos - PSA will make more...

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    We definitely enjoy collecting the set and posting on this thread! Glad someone is getting sme enjoyment aside from us!

EOMint...which cards and in which grade?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>

EOMint...which cards and in which grade? >>

EOMINT has the #2 set in our registry. He is attempting to complete the entire set in PSA 9 or better............He lacks six cards to accomplish this.....of course there is no Red's rookies card #524 in PSA 9.

the other five cards are: Felipe Alou #263, Hal Mcrae IA #292, Hank Aaron IA #300 Dave Marshall #673 and #94 AL pitching Leaders.

We have discussed this before Arny........you have to pay better attention!!!!image

• Options
    Heh....I remember reading about this. I think that I'm so caught up in my own stuff that I can't focus on anything else! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Larry is killing me on the '55's too. Prices had really dropped but lately he has because quite aggressive and always seems to beat me out.

• Options
    Although it's temporary....I have tied up Dave at #14! Woo hoo! image

I'm picking up a couple of packages that should help me with a little boost tomorrow morning at the post office too! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Sorry Arny. With the cards I added tonight I am down to 13. You are back to 15. You will probably pass me soon. You have been buying a lot more cards than I have been.
  • Options
    Arny,

Ray may not be a 72 guy, but he used to join Neil Downey and I when we would meet at McDonalds on the Garden State Parkway and make trades and sales of 72 PSA 8's in the early days. It was like some sort of clandestine drug deal going on in the back over Big Mac's and fries. We'd eat first and bull$#@! - then we'd bull$#@! some more - always about cards, the registry, the forums... And when Ray was there we would talk about 69's, Gaspipe's Garage of endless vintage cards, who was working on what, etc... Ray was part of the group (BEFORE the registry) that determined that your set would REALLY be something if you were able to augment your raw set with 100 PSA 8's or better - now THAT would be a SUPER set!!! Little did we know how the Registry would change all that...

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank - You're making me weepy. image
    Congrats for staying the course.
    My collecting habits have gone off in a million different directions since the"good ol'days" but I still have a soft spot for set focus and this sort of enthusiasm. It's what collecting is all about.

My advise to you guys, intent on making it to the finish line, is to formulate a plan now for what to do when you get there. It is both euphoric and anti-climactic all at the same time. I sometimes feel today that I don't dare finish any set I'm working on because I have so much fun with the collecting part of the process.

I have had the good fortune to share this process with McDonald's rendevous' and Message Board chat with so many collectors I can call my friends. PSA Registry set building and this community spirit has been a wonderful ride...and I'm still enjoying it.
    Keep it goin' guys.
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    For those of you that have finished several sets....what was your next step? As far as your 'plan', did it include starting up a new set just as you were at the 90% range on the current set you were working on?

For me, I go with what I mentioned, as I approach the 90% mark, I start to look hard and make decisions on which set(s) to start. That way, as you hit that 'wall' of trying to find those elusive final cards, you can keep the zeal of collecting going by taking your focus to a new set. I've done that so far with the few sets that I've completed and it's worked for me.

I'm almost positive that I will be embarking on putting together the '75 set next. Although, I really am thinking about the '73 and '74, I think that the '75 (being my 2nd favorite set of all time behind the '57s) is the one for me.

But, for now, my focus is on this darn big 'ol set of '72s! Great challenge, but a lot of fun!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Milestone day for me today.........My set has a set rating over 7 now....(7.04)

.........less then 100 cards to go......

......next milestone will be 90% complete.......

• Options
    Hello guys, My name is Mickey James. I am new to the forum and i would just like to say that this thread is the reason i finally joined. I love following the progress of the guys building this monster set as well as hearing "pioneer" stories from the great FB. My progress on the set is very slow but one day i would like to finish this set with a rating of 9 or better.

My other interests include 60's and 70's cards and the Hall of Fame Player set. I don't have any interest in post 79 cards except for the Topps Heritage Sets.
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    Welcome Mickey..................good group here!

Don't be a stranger..........

• Options
    Thank you for the welcome Jami. I hope to be able to add what I can to this thread.
  • Options
    Welcome Mickey. This is a fantastic group. Arny and I have this love hate competitive relationship which has really sparked my enthusiasm for the set. As Arny knows, I have tried a few times to sell my 72s so that I can get back to my other projects. Arny, any chance your next move will be to 33 Goudey, 52 Bowman, 60, 70 or 78 Topps? I have big blocks from those sets and I wouldn't have to move to another new set to keep up our friendly rivalry after we finish our 72s. If you want the 74s I'll be happy to sell you my extras we discussed. I am down to 6 cards to finish the 74 set in PSA 8 or better so it will take you a long time to pass me on that one. If you spend your time on 74s, I can go back to my other projects ;-)
  • Options
    Welcome Mickey! You've got a competitive but helpful group of guys here, that's for sure! image

Dave, I might have to start on those 78's to keep up with you. That is, unless you'd like to start on the '75s. My plans are to finish the '72 (someday) and then jump on the '75s. But, I could be coerced to start on the 78's if you aren't too far ahead! Always great to have a competition going. We'll see.

For now, I'm still waiting for my box from Jason and a couple other cards that I've purchased to add to the '72 set. Can't wait to see where that puts me! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Thanks again for the welcome.....arny, the 75 set is a nice choice for your next project, and you won't go broke doing it 8's are very cheap and 9's aren't too far behind. aside from 72 it's my favorite from the seventies. 78's are a winner too, i haven't graded any of mine but i'm nearly done with my raw nm-mt to mint set. you guys obviously have great taste in cards. image
  • Options
    I have a raw 78 set also NM+. My set will probably stay raw.

• Options
    I've picked up my 78s whenever deals were so good I couldn't pass them up. I have 56.47% of the set with a weighted GPA of 8.14. If I paid 20% of SMR for the set I would be surprised. Fairly often you can pick up 8s and 9 in the $1-$3 range.
  • Options
    I've picked up my 78s whenever deals were so good I couldn't pass them up

That's how I started my 70's sets. I saw 100-300 card lots on Ebay, and if the pricing was below the cost of grading, I would buy them. Just like Barkus said, in most cases I was buying large lots for $2.50-$4 per card. PSA 9's, I would bid no more than $8-$9.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Well, I just got Jason's Box O' 72s delivered....when I added the cards....well, I'm proud to announce that you are now looking at the #13 set of 1972s! image

Dave, I just leapfrogged 'ya, but I'm sure that this will give you enough cause to go out there and get more of the cards that you need now! Oh, and I got the Garvey for you, so I'll mail it and the other two that I owe you on Monday or on Tuesday.

For now, let me soak it in....ahh....

By the way, even though Jami is miles ahead of us in ratings....at least we'll be 'ranked' neighbors soon! I'm at 5.04 and only .06 away from taking over the 12th spot right behind Jami! Wow....I've made some very good and quick progress on this set. I'm currently now at 69% complete and I gotta thank all of you that have helped me get to this spot so quickly!

And, I ended up with the #3 pick overall in my 12 team fantasy football league 'lottery' this afternoon! Woo hoo! This is definitely a good Saturday! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Congrats Arny. You deserve lucky 13. I have too many irons in the fire to keep up with you on this set.

Good luck with the football draft. I'll send the other cards I owe you on Monday.
  • Options
    Hey guys, great job moving up the 72 mountain. A very rapid ascent for sure.

edited to say: Jami will certainly have a new neighbor in the future. image
  • Options
    Well, I won four cards last night including two hi #s and the Odom card. So, that puts me at a tie for 12th! Jami, I'm right behind 'ya! Well, sorta image At least with the ranked position. I'm WAAAAAY behind you in total number completed and rating. So, here goes the big climb up the mountain!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Well, I have got out my binoculars.........I think I see someone down there behind me but I can't really tell..............image

• Options
    image HEY! JAMI! IT'S ME! I'M DOWN HERE! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    nice jump arny, things will start to get real interesting when you, barkus and jami are all around 90 % and fighting it out for that last 10%.
  • Options
    Thanks!

At the pace that Dave (Barkus) and I are going, we might just catch up to Jami at or around 90-92%. But, I know that it gets tougher and tougher the higher you climb. So, we could have a rude awakening coming our way. But, we'll see. I've been pretty resourceful in dealing with some folks on eBay and here on the boards, so I'm confident that I'll continue to climb.

Stay tuned! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I may have already caught Jami with respect to the tough low pop cards. That will hopefully make my climb easier in the end.
  • Options
    yep, the low pops are key, but in the end most of them are still only weighed as 1 point.

i often wondered if the weights for particularly tough commons will ever change when certain cards emerge as being undisputably tougher. i think enough cards have been graded from the 72 set to make a safe assumption on which cards will never be run of the mill pop 40 or better psa 8's.

should card 259 sparky lyle with a pop of 75 in psa 8 and 24 in psa 9 be weighed the same as card 291 mcrae ia with a pop of 21 in psa 8 and only 1 psa 9 ?

• Options
    It has been almost two months since I reached 75%..................the going since then has been very slow....and its only going to get slower.

There are currently 247 listings on ebay.....of which I need 7 cards..........a good chance i will not win all or even most of those as i will continue to TRY not to overpay on any card, but sometimes I do anyway.

EBAY, of course is not the only source and I have actively sought cards elsewhere....and have gotten cards from the various set breakups and downsizings...............

.............but all I can do is plug along.......

...I am smart enough to realize that I am stuck in 11th place for a LONG time as I will need to get around 98% complete or better before I can move up.

....admittedly I am enjoying the trip.image

• Options
    Dave has really made it a point to pick up those low pop cards. So, he has an advantage in that regard. I have been able to pick up a few here and there and I'm not really concerned about those...what I'm concerned about are those HI #s. I've been attacking those low and mid series like there's no tomorrow, but will have that mountain to climb when it comes to the HI #s.

Each one of us has some sort of challenge with this monster of a set, but I'm confident that we'll all reach a very good percentage sooner than even we think! Especially since most of us are pushing each other and challenging each other.

We'll see. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Okay, currently in sole possession of 12th place right behind Jami! Won a high # card this evening (maybe more to come?) and it puts me at 5.10! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I purchased some from the retired set but am still wanting to buy some cheapie commons I need even if they are high pop*!

Text

here is my wimpy set if some folk can help. Reed helped with some but I need additional help now~ Thanks much!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    Hey Marz, although you don't have the 'quantity', you sure have some nice 'quality' on those cards. All PSA 9s? Hi #s and some HOFs? Nice.

Keep it up, we could use some additional 'push' from anyone else looking to move up the ranks of the 1972s!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards