Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I wish that I actually had some vintage dealers here in South Florida. If it weren't for eBay, I wouldn't be able to get ahold of anything vintage.

For those of you that have found very good 'raw' finds, where have you found them?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Arny,

I'm lucky enough to live about 90 minutes from Fort Washington. I've had good luck with buying raw cards from Norty (Joe Tauriello) at Set Builders, Dick DeCourcy at Georgia Sports, Paul Starx at Starx Cards and a couple others at each of the shows.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Looks like Arny is raising his bid prices tonight. Before long I might be playing second fiddle to Arny in the registry. I have so many partial sets that if this one gets too much demand I might have to take a break and focus on others.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    I've stayed consistent with my bidding, just happened to be high numbers tonight! image

Picked up #732 G.Culver, #759 C.Canizzaro, #775 J.Reuss & #100 F.Robinson all PSA 8s.

Little by little...I'll get there. Dave, stay with us! Makes things more fun!

Edit: I also won 295, 338, 345 last night as well. Woke up to that. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Alrighty...just won another few 72s....these from our buddy LostDart!

#84, #115, #152, #179 & #268

...that much closer! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Given my recent eBay experiences it may still be cheaper in both time, worry, and $ to buy 9's on line now. The market for 9's is folding...

SW
  • Options
    If the set were a little smaller, I would agree with you. But, since this 72 is a darn monster, I'd end up spending WAY too much money to get everything in 9s. Believe me, I agree with your thinkin', just not happenin' on my budget right now.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>If the set were a little smaller, I would agree with you. But, since this 72 is a darn monster, I'd end up spending WAY too much money to get everything in 9s. Believe me, I agree with your thinkin', just not happenin' on my budget right now. >>

Arny,

I think Machodoc is saying that IF one were to put together the set in PSA 9s it would be easier just to buy them on EBAY rather then attempt to submit raw cards to PSA for grading.

Thanks for the bids on my cards........ just make one payment after the rest of my cards close tonight..... but you knew that already...image

• Options
    Woo hoo....won a total of 20 cards tonight...and, I let Dave keep that Cleon....but, I was tempted! LOL

Just keep swimmin'...just keep swimmin'....
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    My bid on the Cleon was below the reserve. I think the Cleon used to be a very tough card, but the pop has risen. I guess others agreed because no one met the reserve mid. I now have an extra Randle and an extra Culp. I couldn't let the 2nd culp pas for $28.
  • Options
    The problem with the Jones IA card is that there are numorous Met collectors.......Yes the POP has risen.........we will continue to pay more for this card because Jones is a MET.

Dave Read just sold me mine....I have not gotten it yet but it is on its way............

Now much did I pay?? ....I paid what I consider a fair market price..image

• Options
    That's all well and good about the Met collectors, but with or without them, no one was willing to beat a $35 bid. That speaks volumes about the current market price.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    David, not always. If I see there is a reserve to be met, I often refrain from bidding all together. I HATE reserve auctions. Very often I would have bid higher than the highest, non-winning bid if the auction had been without the reserve provision.

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

<< <i>David, not always. If I see there is a reserve to be met, I often refrain from bidding all together. I HATE reserve auctions. Very often I would have bid higher than the highest, non-winning bid if the auction had been without the reserve provision.

Mike >>

image..........if you will not accept less then $45 for a card, then start the bidding at $45

• Options
    Arny,

I thought you were going to get a cheap Ryan tonight. With six seconds to go you were still the high bidder at $81.

Even at $113 the buyer got a GREAT deal. My experiance watching Ryan PSA 8 sales in the last 8 months shows Ryan's selling on ebay for between $125- $155. I saw one or two even sell for around $175.00. This sale is only the second time I have seen a card go for under $120. The other time being $103. In that case the seller had his auction end at 8AM EST. (Lesson to learn here : Do not have your auctions end when half of america is sleeping and the other half is driving to work.)...........I was the lucky winner of that auction!'

The good news is that there is ALWAYS a Ryan in PSA 8 up for auction. I doubt one will ever sell for under $100, but one can only hope and continue to place their bids........image

• Options
    Man, I was sure that I was going to get that Ryan. Oh well, I'll get one eventually.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Need a Mays or a Mays IA in 8?
  • Options
    Gaspipe: I was trying to send you a PM, guess you have them turned off.

I need a Mays IA in PSA 8.

There's one that I'm watching and occasionally throwing a bid on eBay right now, but I'd be interested in hearing an offer from you.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Email me at rjc012661@aol.com

I have a Fisk rookies in 8 too, plus a few others.
  • Options
    Umm...Dave, are you just investing at this point? I've noticed that you have outbid me and some others for cards that you already had? Or, are you simply upgrading within your 8s?

On the bright side, I won 4 cards last night (Tim Foli #707/Odom IA #558/Indians Team #547/Josephson #543) all for $7 each! Got a hi # and that Odom for cheap!

Plus, when I added those card #s to my set, I've now gotten back into a tie for 19th place with Dave! That is, until he receives the latest batch and adds those. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Arny,

I was gonna bid on that Foli myself, but since I am not building the set I didn't want to do that to you or any of the other setbuilders.

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    Arny and Barkus,

Y'all bidding on PSA 9s now?? What up with that??image

Pickings have been slim for me: since the 1st of the month I have only picked up two NEW cards on ebay and a handful of upgrades......Nothing new listed for me that I need until Sunday night......

I did get in the mail and add #761 Cey rookie to my set this morning..........my first addition in 5 days!!

• Options
    I have bought a few extras when I have seen what I consider to be low prices on stars or low pop cards. Ebay has had limited demand for a lot of sets lately. Last night I also bought 6 69 PSA 8s from different auctions from the same seller for a delivered price of approximately $24 for all 6. Hard to believe I can pick up 8s for less than grading fees.

I have recently picked up doubles of some of the 100 toughest cards from the 72 set at very reasonable prices (many of which you and others need). My hope is that I can trade them later to fill in cards I'm missing. I also starting buying a few 9s here and there when I thought the prices were good (especially on minor stars).

I gave in on the Cleon Jones I/A card and paid $50. That is more than I have spent on any 72 common to date and I have bought lower pops like the Henderson card and a few others.

I am having a lot of fun with this 72 set. The best part about it is there are plenty of guys on these boards who are willing to sell cards in quantity and at reasonable prices. There are a few others who insist on charging prices that may have been market some time ago, but certainly are not market now. Ebay seems to be the great equalizer. I try to make fair offers when I buy cards and often times when my offers are rejected the cards end up on ebay. There is no better validation of an offer than to be able to turn around and buy cards from the same seller on ebay at prices below those I offered through the message board.

Arny, I wouldn't count on that #19 ranking any time soon (or at least for anything more than a day or so). I have about 50 cards I have bought (including stars), which I am waiting to receive.

My true stats are:

49.94% (393/787) of the set
    8.0467 GPA
    4.04 Set Rating

That will move me up to 16th when I get all of the cards and you never know what I will buy today. ;-)
  • Options

• Options
    I saw that and I couldn't figure out why anyone would pay that.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    I have roughly 300- 400 PSA 9 and PSA 8 1972's. Don't believe there are many low pops, but plenty of high numbers and league leader cards. I'll have a listed created sometime next week and post it here and anyone with any interest in any of those cards can contact me at that time.

Thanks,
    Mark
    MKWSportscards
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    I really thought that the Ron Cey would not have sold and would've been relisted and that I'd have a chance at paying $30 or so for it. But, never did I even think about paying $50 even though I'm a "penguin" fan!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Talk about overpaying........... >>

................much better deal.

• Options
    Now, that's a much better deal. That was while I was just starting the set and was focused on buying every $4-7 common out there! I hope I can find a "Penguin" rookie out there for cheap at some point!

Oh, and I see that Dave has pulled ahead of me again....sheesh....LOL
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I got a laugh out of this auction.........This particular card has one of the highest population of PSA 9's in the whole set and he is looking for $80 as an opening bid!!

It appears that the cards Jason is selling tomorrow night have generated some interest..........I feel some bidding wars on those cards.

I had intentions to pick up a few of them myself........but at this rate I will be taking a backseat. I know Jason can use the funds!!

Jimmywalnutz sold many of these cards 6 or 7 weeks ago, ( and I know he reads this thread). He didn't do as well....There is no rhyme or reason for it...........(one theory is that Dave and Arny weren't in the hunt back then) LOL

• Options
    It seems that between you, Dave, JimmyWalnutz and myself, the '72s are getting some good bids on 'em. But, I'll stay in until my personal limit that I've set. With more than half the cards remaining, the deals really have to make sense for me to jump on a higher priced card.

Just consider me the tortoise of the group! Slow and steady. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Wow...I just took a peek at Jason's cards....currently nearly $600 for the few cards! Wow!

Even if they were to end right now, Jason would make a nice chunk of change. But, I'm sure there's going to be some extra bidding at the last moment for a couple of these.

Congrats Jason!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Thanks for all the support on my auctions guys. Looks like almost everyone who has bid on them is a member here! Looks like free shipping all around! I do stand to make a nice profit off these. I've only got about $7-$10 in each card as most of them have come from my own submissions. As many of you may know I did very well a while back on a '72 Rose and a '72 cello I bought off ebay, so the '72 set has been very good to me! When my current financial situation improves I will be hitting everyone up for their extras. I will be going out of town in a couple of weeks too so I'll get a chance to do some scouting for some quality raw. BTW, does anyone know of a good shop in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, TN area?
  • Options
    Why did that 72 #673 Dave Marshall get a PSA 7??

It scares me as I'm about to submit 200 72s to PSA....
  • Options

<< <i>Why did that 72 #673 Dave Marshall get a PSA 7??

It scares me as I'm about to submit 200 72s to PSA.... >>

Only thing that i see would be centering top to bottom, but even that isn't THAT bad. (and worthy of an 8). It must be something on the back......

• Options
    I have made all the bids I will make on Jason's auctions. I will be happy if I win cards at the prices I bid or I will be happy for Jason if they go for more money. In many cases I was just trying to maintain the value for several of the low pops I have already acquired.
  • Options
    Here's the list of 8's and 9's. Shoot me a list of cards if interested and I'll quote a price. I'll be easier to work with on the 8's.

my email is jjtmmw@aol.com

Thanks,
    Mark

1972 PSA 8

60, 88, 90(2), 101, 116, 124, 129, 141, 190, 196, 203, 223, 237, 260, 262, 265(2), 329, 353, 388, 427, 538, 562, 569, 577, 578(2), 588, 598, 749, 759

1972 PSA 9

126, 222, 227, 236, 238, 255, 269, 273, 275, 290, 302, 303, 334(2), 363, 364, 378, 384, 388(2), 392, 397, 399, 415(3), 419, 422, 423, 424(3), 426(2), 453, 469, 475, 476(2), 482, 483, 486, 526, 540, 541, 543(2), 561, 566, 571(2), 578(3), 580(3), 584(2), 592, 597, 601(2), 605(2), 608, 610(2), 615, 617(4), 618, 622, 623, 629, 635, 636, 639, 640, 643, 648, 649, 677, 678(2), 679, 680, 697, 735, 738, 744, 747, 749, 759(2), 765(2), 771(2), 772, 773, 774, 775, 780, 781, 782, 783(3)

edited to remove sold cards

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Hey Arny,

If you go back to your original message in this thread and press EDIT, you can change the title of this thread:

Perhaps: The Official 1972 Topps Basebal Thread ???

• Options

<< <i>Hey Arny,

If you go back to your original message in this thread and press EDIT, you can change the title of this thread:

Perhaps: The Official 1972 Topps Basebal Thread ??? >>

You know, I was trying to find out how to do that. I'll take care of it.

<< <i>In many cases I was just trying to maintain the value for several of the low pops I have already acquired. >>

Dave, don't bid things up just to keep the 'value' of your cards up...that's not very fair for those of us trying to catch up or complete the sets. If you feel that you're going to purchase a card for purposes of trading or something, then I'm okay with it. But, just to keep the value up? Gotta let those of us with limited budgets with at least an outside chance of getting some of these lower pop cards.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

• Options
    Oh, by the way, I got my cards Jami! Thanks for the quick shipping!

And, a quick note to Mark ... I've sent you an e-mail.

I'm interested to see where Jason's cards end up. Let's see what happens! I might bid on one or two of them to see what happens.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I understand and agree with you but if a card in the 50 toughest is going to sell for some low price because no one is watching (or bidding appropriately), I'm going to buy it. I don't bid up cards just to make people pay more or anything like that. I am happy to have multiple copies when I find undervalued cards in a set I am collecting. It's no different from spotting 10 high end raw cards of the same player and grading all ten. I study the pop reports very carefully because in many cases that's where the value is in buying. It doesn't take any brains to just buy every card you can at minimum prices. Building sets is about buying every card at its appropriate value. You need to buy the highest pop cards at a discount so you can pay a premium when the low pop cards come up.

• Options

<< <i>I don't bid up cards just to make people pay more or anything like that. >>

Whew....just makin' sure. I agree with the rest of your statements though.

Although, I understand about getting a card at a great rate due to it's rarity in a certain grade, etc.....I'm in the process of putting together this beast of a set and I set some guidelines for myself early on when starting it. I agreed to amass as many of the common cards at very affordable prices (I've picked up PSA 8s for as little as $2.99!) and then pick up star cards and lower pop cards IF and only IF they are at a "reasonable" price. The term "reasonable" is subjective, I know, but in my case I'd rather pick up 10 common players at $6 each then spend $60 on one lower pop card. I'm hoping that during the time that I'm building the set, a few more of those lower pop cards will get graded and put on the market, thus lowering the overall price of those. Basically, I will hopefully end up getting those same lower pop cards that folks are spending $40-80 now for $25-50 later. And, if I can't get them at that price, then I'd be at the point where I was looking specifically for those lower pop cards and willing to pay the higher per/card prices.

I know that different collectors have different methods of putting sets together, but this way works for me. Now, that doesn't mean that I won't throw some bids on some lower pop cards, just won't get in any bidding wars at this point. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I woke up to a half dozen emails regarding the 72's. I working through them in order recieved. Will get back to all of you eventually

Thanks
    Mark

• Options
    No bidding wars here either. Arny, more often than not you outbid me or have offers bigger than I am willing to make so I don't bid!
  • Options
    Just picked up another 24 72 PSA 8s from Mark. Very fair ask prices and no negotiation. Can't wait to add them to my set.

With cards to be delivered my set is up to:
    53.11% 418/787 cards
    GPA 8.05
    Set Rating 4.28
    Based on current numbers that would move me up to 15th in the registry.

This is a monster set. 418 cards and just a little past half way.

It's all Mark's fault I am back into this set. He posted a starter set which I bought some time ago because I had some extra cash. I definitely did not need an extra set.

Anyone want to buy me out? I'd sell the entire lot for 10% over the money I have in. I need to get back to my other sets.
  • Options
    Dave, you crack me up. Everytime I'm bidding on stuff and get outbid, it's generally you. Your cutting deals and making purchases of nice sized lots and moving up the ranks. Then, in the same post you talk about selling out to focus on your other sets. LOL...I'll never figure you out. image

I'd be really scared of you if you were to actually focus on the '72 set! You've got some other nice stuff going too though....
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Thanks Mark!

Just sealed a deal with Mark to pick up another 21 cards to add to my set including about a half dozen high #s and Dave was right....very fair price, no negotiations needed.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards