Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    So, now that I've been outbid for the McRae IA PSA 9 card (NA:US:11&Item=320020835519">Hal McRae IA PSA 9) what do you all think this card will end at?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Let's try this link again....won't let me edit for some reason....

NA:US:11&Item=320020835519">PSA 9 Hal McRae IA
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Looks like the forum is having problems with links. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    It's tough to gauge how much the Mcrae will go for, there are a handful of potential serious bidders, but I think EO will bid whatever it takes to win. My guess is over 1000 bucks.
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the McRae IA PSA 9 will end at over $1000.

Does anyone know if EO has seen it.....he has no PM on or lists no email address........he missed one of his three cards before that came up for auction.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    EO = herbetizer

High Bidder
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options

<< <i>EO = herbetizer

High Bidder >>

Well in that case.........GO GET IT EO!!! We are rooting for ya!!

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    It probably won't go $1000. But, I'm sure that Eric will be happy to see that ALL of the remaining cards he needs to complete are on eBay right now (292, 94 and 673).

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank,

HOLY Shiite....You have retired your set...................and selling it off???..........

WOW I am stunned and speechless!!!

Will you be accepting offers on yet to be listed cards??? ( there is only one I want) image

• Options
  • Options
    I am stunned to say the least...but honored to carry forward the torch of the great FB. Would love to know why selling now though? I dont think putting sets together is a great investment necessarily, moreso just fun to look at.

EO
  • Options
    EO,

So ..........no longer the bridesmaid.........image

Your three white whales are there for the taking.................

Good luck!!!

Jami

• Options
    I could be short reign for EO as the new 72 king. With a 9.24 GPA, Larry Mayer has a golden oppurtunity to seize the number one spot by filling plenty of holes with PSA 10's. He certainly has the cash to do it.
    In any event, it is the end of an era. Best of luck to everyone!! It will be interesting to see how the rankings look when Frank is done selling.
  • Options
    When I started this monster 5 years ago I was in awe of Frank's set and have remained awed 'til this very day. Any time I'd ask questions of the other registry collectors that I got to know, they'd always give me the same answer - "Ask Frank." So I would, and even though he didn't know me, Frank always answered.

I hope there's nothing pushing Frank into selling his set, merely "Time to move on to other things" being the reason.

Best of luck in whatever endeavor you choose to conquer next, Frank!
  • Options

<< <i>

I hope there's nothing pushing Frank into selling his set, merely "Time to move on to other things" being the reason.

>>

Perhaps time to free up a hundred plus thousand................image

imageimage

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Joe,

Nothings pushing me. The prices for 72's are high on eBay and my frugalness is causing me to win fewer and fewer PSA 10's. So, I'll take this opportunity to sell off the PSA 10's and the tough 9's and then rebuild in less expensively at between an 8.25 and 8.50. I'll also be able to use the money to finish my 71 set and maybe pick a regional set or two that I've wanted to try.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Great, another bidder on the 8s that I need to finish the set! image

Seriously, I'm just glad that you aren't leaving the '72s altogether.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I dont see a set called the Larry Mayer set, which set is his just so I know who my new nemesis is lol...

EO
  • Options

<< <i>I dont see a set called the Larry Mayer set, which set is his just so I know who my new nemesis is lol...

EO >>

That would be bbcards4u set # 12 on the current list..........

• Options
    Well, I could go and buy all of Bakka's 10s, but that was never my goal for this set, just seems silly...my goal was to create the first set w all 9s or better, no 8s whatsoever. There is something about the 72s Ive always loved, and having 787 mint ones is enough for me! If lmayer doesnt bid against me on the 3 cards I need, I'll happily leave the 10s alone!

EO
  • Options

<< <i>If lmayer doesnt bid against me on the 3 cards I need, I'll happily leave the 10s alone! >>

Oooooh. You never should have said that! Now the crazies are gonna pop in and accuse you of bid rigging and/or collusion. You're gonna end up with the Pete Rose Suite at the Carbondale Correctional Facility.

• Options
    LOL...thats pretty funny, he is free to bid on those 3 cards, obviously. I wont go after the 10s regardless I dont think.

EO
  • Options
    EO,

Don't you think its time to start that 75 set?

Mark

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    I may, Im thinking about it, if I do Im going to try to do it in 10s...make it more of a challenge given 9s are pretty easy to come by that year.

How bout this, if 3 or more board members outside of yourself tell me they want to see me take the #1 spot in 75, I'll go do it. You guys decide.

EO
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    #1 - Go for the '75 set in all psa 10!
  • Options
    #2 - Go for the '75 set in all psa 10!
  • Options
    #3 - Go for the '75 set in all psa 10!
  • Options
    10's?

Talk to me EO, talk to me!!

• Options
    Bug on the Rug counts as 1...need 2 more, then I go for the 75 set predominantly in 10....will be at least a 9.50 in aggregate, half and half, but Ill try for as many 10s as I can. Why the heck not.

BTW, if anyone has a nice 55 Clemente 9 Im in the market for one.

Thanks,

EO

• Options
    At the risk of really upsetting the '75 guys, go for it .
  • Options
    Well, the month of August is just about over.............................

I went 0 for the month of August in my bidding on PSA 9s..............There were no bargains to be had............OH WELL!!

• Options
    Just snagged the Mcrae IA for $664. That one looked better centered than the other one so I went for it. And then there were two...
  • Options

<< <i>Just snagged the Mcrae IA for $664. That one looked better centered than the other one so I went for it. And then there were two... >>

...plus the fact that having both of the McRae IA 9 listed at the same time might have saved you a few bucks!!

• Options
  • Options
    The only other thing I might consider besides the 75s would be the 71 set all 9 or better...esp since I already have most of the stars including the elusive Munson in a 9 NQ. Also I have 3 Baylor/Baker RCs all 9s so I could trade a couple of those. Thoughts?

EO
  • Options
    Wow, tough call. I love the '75s and they have sentimental value to me, but the '71s are just beautiful cards when in PSA 8 and 9 shape.

If money is no object, I would go for a set of '71s in all PSA 9s! But, those '75s in 10s are great too....geez...can't decide...gotta lay down.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>The only other thing I might consider besides the 75s would be the 71 set all 9 or better...esp since I already have most of the stars including the elusive Munson in a 9 NQ. Also I have 3 Baylor/Baker RCs all 9s so I could trade a couple of those. Thoughts?

I would go after the 71 Topps, very tough set in 9 or better, believe they will just go up in value quicker than the 75 set, also alot more 75's in my opinion. plus alot of 75 unopened still around. only advantage 75 has is the rookies (Brett, Yount, Carter).

• Options
    Good argument, perhaps the 71s make sense, would be a lot of fun to do...I agree on supply of 75s, they are all over the place, love the colors though.

I cant believe Im going to undertake this, but what the hell...I do the 71s. Once Ive finished off the 72s I'll begin in earnest, but dont be surprised to see me pick up a few things opportunistically starting now!

EO
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I'd do the 1975 set to complement your 72s. There is still a lot of player overlap, but you'd get Schmidt, Winfield, Brett, Yount, Carter, Rice, etc... Basically you start getting the late '70s/'80s generation of stars.
  • Options
    Too late, the "Olander's Gunning For #1 in 71s" set has already hit the 71 registry...have some more star cards to input, then gotta start filling in minor stars and commons.

EO
  • Options
    Good Luck EO

The “71” project will entertain you for years. I could have put together a nice starter set of 75’s, about ¼ of the set in PSA 9 and 10. Including many low pops, like Lacy, Hughes, Washington and more!

Mark

• Options
    Maybe I'll do both...I'll get back to u treetop!
  • Options
  • Options
    Am I missing something ? I have seen card # 141 Mets Rookies in PSA 8 listed and re-listed week after week with a BIN of 129.99. What's up with that ?
  • Options

<< <i>Am I missing something ? I have seen card # 141 Mets Rookies in PSA 8 listed and re-listed week after week with a BIN of 129.99. What's up with that ? >>

Somebody that really loves their cards or somebody that really loves Leroy Stanton & Jon Matlack.
    or maybe he's hoping somebody will offer him 40.00 bucks HA HA.

I have a psa 8 #141 NQ for 20.00 dlvd LOL image
  • Options

<< <i>Am I missing something ? I have seen card # 141 Mets Rookies in PSA 8 listed and re-listed week after week with a BIN of 129.99. What's up with that ? >>

He's gotta recoup the fees for listing it every week.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually encountered a guy a few months ago who raised his BIN price on several cards about a dollar a week when his stuff went unbought and he relisted it the next week, and I swear I think he was doing exactly that.
  • Options
    I won a 72 Topps Carlton traded for a decent price!

I have a small ways to go! http://www.psacard.com/set%5Fregistry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=12301&alltime=yes&requesttimeout=9999&rank=none&tied=0
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options

<< <i>I won a 72 Topps Carlton traded for a decent price!

I have a small ways to go! http://www.psacard.com/set%5Fregistry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=12301&alltime=yes&requesttimeout=9999&rank=none&tied=0 >>

It was a decent price.........cause you only outbid me by a couple of bucks.....image

• Options
    I won two unopened packs this weekend - unknown series, which usually means series 2! I'm gonna crack them out of the slabs and open them as soon as they show up!image Then I'm gonna look at the little stack of off-center, stained commons and think "Why the hell did I do that?"