Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Yeah.... Joe .......you are probably right...
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    I have recently joined the PSA Collectors Club at the Gold level and after reading the posts in the message boards I am considering sending to PSA to get graded. I have never sent cards in to be graded before and am wondering what type of grades I might get back for these cards. I have around 100 to 150 in similar shape to these and around 1000 in lesser condition. I am considering working on the set for the registry, but need some input to help me decide.

Thanks for any comments you can share.

Piman58
  • Options
    Pimam58,

Of course it is hard to tell from these scans, but assumming your cards are flawless otherwise, the cards you show could grade anywhere from PSA 7 to PSA 9.( The Buckner's corners do not look great, but it could just be the scan).

Most 72 common cards in PSA 8 can be had for around $5.00...hense it is cheaper to buy them already graded. ...and forget about PSA 7 commons, you can hardly give those away.

Check the pop reposts on common cards before sending questionable ones in. There are a few dozen or so commons in low pop that will cost you $50 - $100 to buy graded in PSA 8.

Check your corners, corners, corners, and under bright light or loope look for flaws on the surface. Centering on the cards shown look decent, but not great. Cards with centering worse then the Buckner card will not qualify for over PSA 7 OR get a qualifier

• Options
    Seems like a motivated collector could make great strides in completing a 72 set this week. I have never seen so many of the tough ones up for auction at once.
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    Piman58,

I think you should buy some graded '72's first. Most of the PSA 8's aren't worth what it costs to get them graded, even when there's a $5 special. One you've got a couple 8's and maybe a 9 or two, compare them to your cards to see if they look good enough to be 8's or 9's. If not, don't send them in.

As far as collecting the 1972 set goes, I don't think you could pick a better one to collect. Tons of dirt-cheap commons to be had, great stars at great prices, no really valuable rookies (The Fisk can be had in PSA 8 for well under $100). Aside from a few cards that will surprise you (because they're commons that go for more than all the stars) and the Nolan Ryan (which, if you're patient, you can get for less than $150 in PSA 8) there really aren't that many big-dollar cards in this set.

When you do jump in, I think it's best to set a limit that you're willing to pay for commons - $5-$6 would be my recommendation - and don't go over it. You won't win them all, but you'll eventually get 100's of 1972 PSA 8's like this. Look for lots of graded cards at the beginning and you might get some big chunks all at once.

Plus, keep checking this board, there's a lot of good guys on here who will be more than happy to help you out if they can.

Good luck!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Joe,

Absolute perfect advice! The best way to start training your grading eye is to pick up some cheap 7's, 8's and 9's and try to figure out why each received the grade that it did. Once you start seeing existing slabs, you start understanding why you shouldn't be sending in some of your raw ones.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Thanks to this greg character Im gonna pay through the nose on the Marshall and #94 Leaders card...but since the $ are going to FB, Im ok with it.

• Options

<< <i>Thanks to this greg character Im gonna pay through the nose on the Marshall and #94 Leaders card...but since the $ are going to FB, Im ok with it. >>

The deep pockets fellows have indeed make a showing.........(greg, hot garbage)...

GO FRANK!!!image

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Frank, are you happy with the results so far? $8,100 for the Mays seems like a pretty strong price. Most seemed to do real well. I thought the Barton IA was a bargain though.
  • Options
    I watched the first round of the Frank break up............Frank will be buying drinks for awhile. imageimageimage

The barton IA card might have been one of the few bargains...................

• Options
    Guys,

I never expected some of the prices that I've seen. My wife called before and asked what I was making for dinner. I said "Honey - the pizza is on ME!" (I can't let on TOO much as to how much these cards sold for...) Absolutely amazing.

And the timing is good too. The wife and I got a call on Saturday morning that our beach house in North Carolina had a foot of water in the ground floor. They got 21 inches of rain in roughly 3 days. We drove down later that day and sure enough... It was easy to spot. Our house was the one in the middle of the lake. We can't even pump it out until the Emergency Managemnt team pumps out the neighborhood.

So, I know where a lot of this money is going already. Flood insurance isn't going to cover even close to everything. But, luckily we had it. And now I'll have card money too.

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Who is dm18?
  • Options
    Honestly I have to say I am very upset about the Dave Marshall situation...I mean come on $861 for a card that's worth $75...Im upset because it violates the spirit of collecting. As many on this board can attest to, Ive literally given away dozens of dupe 8s and 9s absolutely free to other set collectors just to help them along...could I have put them on ebay and extracted maximum $, sure, but I thought it was the right thing to do in the spirit of registry commradery.

Now I am downright pissed off. Whoever dm is, I take it personally.

EO
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Who is dm18? >>

I don't know, but do you think it's a coincidence that Dave Marshall's number when he played with the Giants was 18? Or am I reading too much into dm18? A quick scan of his feedback shows that his name is David... maybe it's Dave Marshall himself? Or a namesake?

Only Frank knows for sure!
  • Options
    Well, Frank says the guy already paid and has been looking for this card for 3 years...if thats true, then god bless him. But who the heck other than 72 set collectors would want this thing esp at this price? I just find it hard to believe.

In an effort to encourage more Dave Marshall submissions I am hearby putting out an open offer to pay $500 for the first person to get me a graded PSA 9. Outside of this dm18 guy nobody else is gonna pay anything close to that.

Eric
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Eric> Another way to look at is that you cost him an extra $350. His bid was a snipe, tho probably placed manually with 27 seconds remaining. Without your bid, he'd have gotten it for ~$520. Tho I do agree with you - don't feel sorry for him at all.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    I spoke to dm18, he is a very nice guy and a diehard dave marshall collector...I thought someone did this just to mess w me but this guy is legit. So no hard feelings whatsoever. Just need another one. If I can find a 10 maybe I can sell it to dm18 for $8,000.

EO
  • Options

<< <i>I spoke to dm18, he is a very nice guy and a diehard dave marshall collector...I thought someone did this just to mess w me but this guy is legit. So no hard feelings whatsoever. Just need another one. If I can find a 10 maybe I can sell it to dm18 for $8,000.

EO >>

EO,

Spending $800+ to mess with you would seem a bit drastic...........I can only speak for myself, but i think others would agree that we were rooting for you.............but like you said spending $800+ for a $75 card seems crazy also; you will get one less costly in the future.

My frustration in finding my last two cards has been.....well....frustrating and i have been doing this alot less time then you have.......

By the way, at least one of your "freebies" sits in my set. image

Good luck and best regards,

Jami

• Options
    Any Glenn Burke collectors out there ? I have a 1978 and 1979 Topps both in PSA 10.... 800.00 out the door.
  • Options
    Eric,

I will keep an eye out for another Marshall 9 for you. If I find one, I'll shoot you an email and you can deal with the person directly. I honestly thought you'd win both cards and complete the 72 set this week. Never in my wildest dreams would I have figured that there was a Dave Marshall collecter out there. Met collector I could see... But Dave Marshall - I had no idea. Don't let one auction sour you on collecting.

If it makes you feel any better - I'm down to needing 1 card to finish my 70 set - #521 Cal Koonce. Two PSA 9's have closed on eBay during the past 10 days and both times the price was too high even for my snipe bid to go in.

And in your 75 versus 71 decision - I would choose the 71. The 71 is such a bear in PSA 9 that it will give you fun and frustration for years to come. The 75 could be done in a much shorter time period and wouldn't be quite the same challenge. Although I believe that someone mentioned all of the next generation of rookies which is definitely a positive.

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>...spending $800+ for a $75 card seems crazy also. >>

What's worse is that many of us are making completely ridiculous bids on these last few cards we need and still being outbid by two or three other guys. I think at any time prior to 2006, we'd have won these cards easily for bids that aren't coming close now.

Oh, well... I guess some guys just want these cards more than we do. In some cases, they want three or four copies more than we do.

I'm glad to see Frank did well on his auctions!
  • Options
    Well... I got my first GAI graded 1972 pack in the mail today and immediately opened it up. It turned out to be a pack with 9 third series commons and the third series checklist (card #251 from the second series). WTF! In my opinion, it's a resealed pack that GAI certified as sealed! Now I don't have any confidence in GAI - I've got two more coming from different sources...

I'd like to hear what you guys think about this. Is it possible that a second series card could be in a third series pack? I don't think so... more likely, the crook that resealed it thought the "3rd Series Checklist" was part of the third series, not the second.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Topps usually double printed the checklists, one would be in the preceding series to advertise who is coming up in the next series and then again in the "correct" series.

For example, series one would be cards 1 to 132 and series 2 is cards 133 thru 263 as the 2nd series checklist would be a double print, once on the 1st series sheet and once on the 2nd.

If you post the 10 cards you got I'll analyze them in relation to the uncut sheet, John.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    In order from gum to wax I got:

251 3rd series checklist O/C Gum Stain
    302 Mitterwald IA O/C
    304 Pepitone IA O/C
    369 Lefebvre M/C
    353 Shamsky M/C
    275 Tovar
    335 Hands
    343 Stargell
    328 Red Sox Team
    330 Catfish Hunter Wax Stain

The last 5 are upside down compared to the first 5. The first 5 all have ** on the back while the last 5 all have *. The O/C, M/C are all top-bottom. All 10 have the orange-ish reverse.

I'd love to see a pic of an uncut sheet with the checklist for the same series on it (of course not series 1).

Thanks!
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    IMO, your pack was 100% legit, email me at jmoran19j@hotmail.com and I can send you a detail explanation with photos.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    You know, this finally makes sense to me. I always wondered why series 2-6 only had 131 cards when there are 132 slots on the 11x12 sheets. Now I know it's because each series also had its own checklist on the sheet! That also explains some of the checklist variations.

• Options
    I need high numbered cards still in 9 holders! just for fun!
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    I realized today that the #251 checklist card that i own is actually mislabeled as "Small print on front" when it actually the large print on front card.

imageimage

My card looks like the one on the right. I have a feeling there are many more mistakes like this with these checklist cards; this being the reason there are so few "large print on front" examples graded.

( cards courtesy of FB auctions)

• Options
    Jami,

A LOT of the 72 variations are mislabeled. As you can see in the two cards shown, that they got the Large Print correct and didn't even identify the Small print version. Although in the Pop report you'll see that they do have some identified. There has always been issues with misidentifying the Yellow versus Green 1st Series Cubs as well. About 5 years ago, I sent scans of Yellow and Green versions of each card with arrows pointing to where to look. These scans went to Joe, Charlie and the grading staff. My next order had 2 Yellows mislabeled as Green. So, I've just been sending them back as mechanical errors each time.

Got your paypal - cards will hit the mail today.

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    All of the Greens vs Yellows are below the letters of the team names, right?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Yellow variation:

Green variation:

• Options
    Yup...just makin' sure. I have a couple of mislabeled of those too. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Just in case anyone has any lying around in PSA 8 or better..here's my want/need list....

#40 - Bob Barton IA
    #150 - Norm Cash (Have a PSA 7)
    #228 - WS Game 6 (Have a PSA 7)
    #230 - World Series (Have a PSA 7)
    #292 - Hal McRae IA
    #296 - Dick Dietz IA
    #532 - Fred Kendall (Have a PSA 9oc)
    #533 - Ralph Houk (Have a PSA 7)
    #582 - Montreal Expos Team Card (Have a PSA 7)
    #666 - Hector Torres (Have a PSA 7)
    #708 - Tim Foli IA
    #720 - Sam McDowell
    #723 - Al Santorini
    #734 - Bob Burda

....so, just 7 needed outright to complete the set and an additional 7 that I need an upgrade on! Someone help me, please! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Anyone see the hammer price on Frank's PSA 9 Cepeda. $308 and change!!! And there were 3 bidders at $260 or higher! Is this a tough 9 that I didn't know about? For that kind of coin I'll get rid of mine buy an 8 and use the change to pick up 50 more commons.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone see the hammer price on Frank's PSA 9 Cepeda. $308 and change!!! And there were 3 bidders at $260 or higher! Is this a tough 9 that I didn't know about? For that kind of coin I'll get rid of mine buy an 8 and use the change to pick up 50 more commons. >>

The truth be told, I have never seen a Cepeda PSA 9 up for auction until this one.....Now IS the time to be selling any semi-low PSA 9 such as this......

• Options
    I would rather spend the $300 on this card .... #228 PSA 10 ...than on the Cepeda 9. But, if it's a semi-low pop of a star, I guess I could understand. You always have the player set registry folks that are acquiring as well.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    So, what is this card going to end at?

PSA 9 Dick Dietz IA

It's one of the ones I need to finish the set, but already too rich for my blood. I'll wait for an "affordable" 8 to come my way, some day.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Dietz IA PSA 8...............There has been only one graded in the last 15 months.......and just recently...........

....Look for it soon in a set near you....image

• Options
    If what you're insinuating is true, then congrats on that Jami! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

• Options

• Options

<< <i>Dietz IA PSA 8...............There has been only one graded in the last 15 months.......and just recently...........

....Look for it soon in a set near you....image >>

I think that PSA 8 Dietz IA you speak of is already in Bill Novicks set.....unless he wins the 9 that Frank is selling. The Dietz is easily one of the toughest 8's I can see the 9 going over 500.00, easily.
  • Options
    The Dietz IA I speak of is not even listed in the PSA pop report yet...........

• Options
    Its funny...

I've never thought of the Dietz IA 9 as being tough - but based on what I'm hearing on these boards - I guess it is. I've had it for so long that I never watched what others did on eBay. I'm pretty sure that I picked this one up from Steve Pekovich back 5 or 6 years ago.

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    I was putting my lists together for the Luis Tiant & Camilo Pascual cards that I'm looking to purchase and I noticed that Tiant didn't have a '72 card. I mean, 787 cards and no Luis Tiant? Anyone know any stories as to why?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    he was getting pretty 'stouty" then and did not want his photo 23 pounds overweight plastered all over the U.S.!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options

<< <i>I was putting my lists together for the Luis Tiant & Camilo Pascual cards that I'm looking to purchase and I noticed that Tiant didn't have a '72 card. I mean, 787 cards and no Luis Tiant? Anyone know any stories as to why? >>

That's interesting , I never realized that. I'm thinking the Twins traded him that year ? However, he wasn't an inconsequential player and certainly worthy of an airbrush job. Maybe he just wasn't available to sign the contract.

As an aside, Hank Aaron never had a Kellogg's card.....dunno why either.
  • Options
    Tiant had an awful season for the Red Sox in 1971..pitching sparingly ( 21 games 72 innings)........yet he came back and won the 72 ERA crown again as a Red sox......

• Options
    Must've been a Red Sox fan doing player selection for Topps that year, huh? image

I just thought it was interesting since he was an established player and was on a major team that he would've been included. Plus, they found enough spots for guys like Ray Corbin & Woodie Fryman. Sheesh.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards