Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1957 Topps Baseball discussion

Comments

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    macho is either a lawyer or a politician...either way he has MONEY TO BURN....lol...yeah 8's bring a grand....wowzers....
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Great set Steve! Congrats on getting to 8.00.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    MachodocMachodoc Posts: 541
    A 1957 Naragon in a PSA 8 for $1,000 is on a relative scale a very cheap price. The same card sold for $2,800 in the April Superior auction BEFORE the 15% buyer's premium. So yes, I feel luck to snag one for what I paid, sans BP. Just ask Frank...

Lothar,

Actually I'm not a lawyer, but I am a poilitician, at the local level making a grand total of $5,000 a year, of which I donate all of the after tax portion to local organizations. Honest politicians get poor real quick unless they can afford it in the first place. My website is listed below if you want to check out what I do...

SW
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Post a scan of that $1000 card when you get it. I would love to see it. What is the problem with that card??? Is it PD's or centering???
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    What's wrong with the card? There's nothing wrong with the card - sometimes you just get lucky and I wouldn't pay a grand for a problem. Collectors putting together a graded set in PSA 8 and better know that they will have to pay $1,000 - plus for a handful of low pop cards such as Naragon, Jack Phillips, Garcia Surkont, etc... Once in a while you can pick up a Phillips and Garcia for $500 or so, but a Surkont and Naragon usually go for more than $1,000 and often for $2,000, as the Superior auction proved.

I know the seller pretty well with lots of transactions behind us therefore I trust him. Here's a link to the auction with a scan:

Naragon eBay Link
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I am jealous of all of you 57 collectors, I wish that us who collected 67s would have a thread like this. I do enjoy reading all your threads and how everyone is so informed on this paticular year. Hope you all complete your sets soon!

Stingray
  • Options
    I paid $909 for my PSA 8 Naragon on May 2004. That price paid in the Superior auction was crazy!
    Frank

• Options

This discussion of the '57 Topps is excellent.

I recently sold my '57 on ebay for $6750 - it included almost 100 PSA graded cards (15-8s; 55 - 7s, 17 - 6s and a few 5s, 4s and a 3 - B Robinson). It had just about all the stars graded as a PSA 7 - Mantle, Williams, Aaron, Clemente, Drysdale, Dodger's Sluggers, F Robinson, Koufax was a 6.

I had originally collected this set in the early 80s. At the time - I just wanted to complete the set - sometimes taking the cheaper cards to just get finished. And of course I had serious cash limitations. I was also much more keen to corners back then and not so particular about centering. I submitted a few raw cards to PSA that were incredible - but were off-center - and got the dreaded PSA 8 oc - I wish I would have indicated "No Qualifiers" - they probably would have come back 7s - who knows?

I will have to agree with some earlier posts that PSA 7s are pretty easy to find - at reasonable prices. It's the PSA 8s and PSA 9s that sell at the huge premiums - especially if there are a few High Grade Collectors in a bidding war!

I was not very successful in predicting grades from my raw submissions - I once submitted several raws that I thought were very, very similar - and I estimated them all to be at least a PSA 8 - I got back a PSA 6, , 2 PSA 8s and a PSA 9. The PSA 9 was an Orioles Team card that I sold for $425 - and bought a PSA 7 for $24 as a replacement.

I found the upgrading to be getting a little too expensive - so I got out while I still had some profit. I also don't know where Grading will take the prices of cards. My cards were happy and content until 2003 just sitting raw in a closet - but I saw the prices that cards were getting so I jumped in. I just didn't realize that the really big premiums were for the rare high grade cards.

Good luck to all of you who are collecting!!!!

.........I still have a raw '55 complete set that is untouched - one day I just might have it graded........
  • Options
    Machococ- I am sorry for the confusion. I was just wanting to know what the reason that card IN GENERAL is so tough. I didnt mean to seem like I was talking about your personal card. I re-read my post and it reads horrible. I really do want to see a scan and I had no idea they cost that much. I also would like to hear why the others you stated are so tough. Again Sorry to confuse.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    MachodocMachodoc Posts: 541
    Dave,

No problem at all. There are certain cards in the 1957 set that are just real bears - usually because of centering - and the Naragon for some reason seems to have acheived cult status. Others as I mentioned above are just as hard, but thus far no explanation has been given for their relative lack of infamy. Personally I'm just glad that now I'm past Mr. N....

SW
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    HoofHearted in another asked on this 57 Clemente, "Steve, what do you think brought your awesome '57 Clemente down to a PSA 6??"

I replied, "It's probably like all my other awesome 1957 PSA 6s in that there's probably some paper loss on a corner and/or stain on back. 1957s "hide" corner wear very well, imo (unlike 1960s cards)."

I don't know if that's true or not, it's just my perception in light of my limited experience.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    It does look really nice in the scan. I take it you haven't received it yet to see first hand. I still have that 57 Mathews psa 6 that I look at all the time thinking it was really an 8. I have decided to resubmit it next bulk, so I can hopefully walk away with a nice 7. I sure hope psa throws us a bone and offers up that $5/50's special next month. I am going to send in 100 cards one way or another and it would save me $200 in grading fees. Thats a down payment on a psa 7 Mantle.

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Mow that Branca got out of the game, there its gonna be a new winner.

I think that given the new cards that his broken set which should find their way to the open market soon, we will see some really strong prices for high grade stuff.

The current sets are quite close and even Branca's old set might be beaten one day...there are always some surprises around september.

registry link
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    The surprise this year is that the registry awards will be given based upon the standings at the end of this month, not October!

SW
  • Options
    calleocho said:

"I think that given the new cards that his broken set which should find their way to the open market soon, we will see some really strong prices for high grade stuff."

Actually only about one-fourth (109 cards to be exact) of Branca's 1957 set was sold at the April MastroNet auction. The remainder will likely be spread out over a year's worth of their big auctions. I think it is good to have it spread out because it enables collectors to spread out their expenses.

Machodoc said:

"The surprise this year is that the registry awards will be given based upon the standings at the end of this month, not October!

This is not correct. The cut-off for the 2005 Registry Awards will remain October 31, but the 2006 Registry Awards will be as of May 31, 2006.

• Options
    all ya all got some problems if you care about sportscard collecting awards..........geeez..........
  • Options
    This was the first set I collected as a 9 yr old kid. I've always thought it is the most beautiful Topps set. I remember the scarce series was just not readily available at the stores. It seemed like that series was only available sporadically for a short period of time. When buying packs you had no way of knowing what series was inside. I was missing about 15 cards from that set, all in that series. I didn't keep those cards in great shape back in '57... I even trimmed some of the corners because I thought it looked cool, a practice I stopped when kids wouldn't trade with me. I only graded a few of these that were in good shape, but it's been great fun completing that set in raw vg/ex condition replacing the graded and missing cards. I like to work on keeping a raw lower grade version of all my sets replacing cards I've graded. It's a lot of fun handling 'em and filling binders without worrying about damaging or knicking the corner of something NM+.
    Completed 12 bb & fb sets during 1956-61 from nickel packs...
  • Options

<< <i>This was the first set I collected as a 9 yr old kid. I've always thought it is the most beautiful Topps set. I remember the scarce series was just not readily available at the stores. It seemed like that series was only available sporadically for a short period of time. When buying packs you had no way of knowing what series was inside. I was missing about 15 cards from that set, all in that series. I didn't keep those cards in great shape back in '57... I even trimmed some of the corners because I thought it looked cool, a practice I stopped when kids wouldn't trade with me. I only graded a few of these that were in good shape, but it's been great fun completing that set in raw vg/ex condition replacing the graded and missing cards. I like to work on keeping a raw lower grade version of all my sets replacing cards I've graded. It's a lot of fun handling 'em and filling binders without worrying about damaging or knicking the corner of something NM+. >>

That's a great way to collect as I am doing the same thing with my first set (1970) that I started as a 10 yr old.
  • Options
    Hopefully there will be a 50'special up by the time I get back. Have a good Holiday.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>This was the first set I collected as a 9 yr old kid. I've always thought it is the most beautiful Topps set. I remember the scarce series was just not readily available at the stores. It seemed like that series was only available sporadically for a short period of time. When buying packs you had no way of knowing what series was inside. I was missing about 15 cards from that set, all in that series. I didn't keep those cards in great shape back in '57... I even trimmed some of the corners because I thought it looked cool, a practice I stopped when kids wouldn't trade with me. I only graded a few of these that were in good shape, but it's been great fun completing that set in raw vg/ex condition replacing the graded and missing cards. I like to work on keeping a raw lower grade version of all my sets replacing cards I've graded. It's a lot of fun handling 'em and filling binders without worrying about damaging or knicking the corner of something NM+. >>

In NY the series came out fairly regularly. I remember getting the Kubek and Richardson cards in the same pack.
    Frank

• Options
    my dad was 9 years old when this set came out..he didnt collect....i have to go back and do it for him!!! LOL

loth
  • Options
    Those of you who had messaged me concerning 57s i had for sale....i will message you and anyone else who messages me when those 57's go up in LOTS on ebay shortly. I will have lots of 4 card...psa 5's, psa 6's, and psa 7's starting at low prices. I am also putting up a bobby richardson rc GAI 6.5...which would have been an 8 if it wasnt for being a little OC to the bottom. My raw will not be included and neither will a few cards another member has stated he is interested in (Snider PSA 5). I decided to do lots cause i just dont want to do 50 freaking ebay auctions...that would drive me MAD.

Loth

ps- message me if you want to be on my list to tell ya when they go up. so far i think bucanneer and mealeworm are my only 2?
  • Options

<< <i>HoofHearted in another asked on this 57 Clemente, "Steve, what do you think brought your awesome '57 Clemente down to a PSA 6??"

I replied, "It's probably like all my other awesome 1957 PSA 6s in that there's probably some paper loss on a corner and/or stain on back. 1957s "hide" corner wear very well, imo (unlike 1960s cards)."

I don't know if that's true or not, it's just my perception in light of my limited experience. >>

Just got the card and it looked worse than the scan. The corners are really good (NM+) and the centering is perfect...but I can tell about the surface. It looks like someone shook out a duster before slabbing. I looked at the surface with a loupe and I just can't tell for sure if its a really dirty underside or someone took a brillo pad to the surface. Maybe this card is really an 8(RD) for "Really Dirty". I'm trying to convince myself that it's a dirty holder for it actually displays worse than the 70/30 centering one I just sold. What do you think?
  • Options
    Text Just got the card and it looked worse than the scan. The corners are really good (NM+) and the centering is perfect...but I can tell about the surface. It looks like someone shook out a duster before slabbing. I looked at the surface with a loupe and I just can't tell for sure if its a really dirty underside or someone took a brillo pad to the surface. Maybe this card is really an 8(RD) for "Really Dirty". I'm trying to convince myself that it's a dirty holder for it actually displays worse than the 70/30 centering one I just sold. What do you think?

Under the loop does the surface look like the gloss is not even through out??? Back to my earlier question about the lack of finish or gloss, I have some that appear dirty also... Most are spotted because the finish is either missing or very light. I bet if you cracked that out it would be really rough.

By the way there is no hope on removing "dirt" because it isn't something that is on the card but maybe something that isn't there. I still like the well-centered card and the scan doesn't look too bad. I hope you can live with it.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>HoofHearted in another asked on this 57 Clemente, "Steve, what do you think brought your awesome '57 Clemente down to a PSA 6??"

I don't know if that's true or not, it's just my perception in light of my limited experience. >>

Just got the card and it looked worse than the scan. The corners are really good (NM+) and the centering is perfect...but I can tell about the surface. It looks like someone shook out a duster before slabbing. I looked at the surface with a loupe and I just can't tell for sure if its a really dirty underside or someone took a brillo pad to the surface. Maybe this card is really an 8(RD) for "Really Dirty". I'm trying to convince myself that it's a dirty holder for it actually displays worse than the 70/30 centering one I just sold. What do you think? >>

as long as you can LIVE with it.....i know i have a few 5's in my set i can live with cause they look so dag on good...psa 5 bunning, psa 5 drysdale, psa 5 fox, psa 5 sad sam jones...all are 50/50 and look better then some 7's i got....no creases, perfect centering, clean surface, no stains on theback..somtimes i just scratch my head...

loth
  • Options
    Alright, I just got the grades for my 57 Topps submission. Check the PSA submission status if interested. All are FS and maybe FT.

number=4286610
    zip=10522

thanks
  • Options
    I got a nice PSA 6 Whitey. Seems to be my kind of 1957 card - soft corners with good centering. It'll look nice in my display.
  • Options
    I have decided to return the Clemente - just way too much "snow" for my taste. The seller did say that the card was an 8 (PD), thus the 6 NQ. It really does have great centering and corners. Oh well, this was my 2nd Clemente so maybe the third time will be the charm.
  • Options
    I am 100% surprised he will let you return it....
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    hey guys new on this forum but i put like 18 different 4 card lots of graded 57's on the bay.

link to auctions.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Figured I'd join into the conversation at this point. I'm trying to work on 2 1957 Topps set at the same time: PSA 7 or better and an autographed set. The simple card design, great photography and player selection was what brought me to the set, and keeps me there. It doesn't hurt that there are only 407 cards plus checklists to keep things difficult but not impossible to collect. I just need to keep myself on a strict diet of 1-3 cards per week to move up in the set registry (same name as my board name).
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    even though its only 407 cards....thats quite a lot of grading to do!!! think of it....407 x at least 6 dollars...thats the grading fee's alone!! NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING...not including the fact that you have find just the right cards for your set that will please you.

it can be quite an adventure !!

loth
  • Options
    I finally went threw all of my 57's and this is the list .

Missing #377 the only card I dont have so I will buy that in psa 8

Raws that have wont grade 7 or higher for one reason or another(mostly cenetering)

I plan to buy these already graded in 7-8's so if any of you have any of these extra LMK.

I will probably sell these off to fund my purchases so if interested in any LMK and I can scan the ones needed. Mostly 5's and 6's but some are worse and few if any are better.

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    Alot of strong 7's and 8's recently hit ebay. I just started buying my missing cards and am curious to know what the going rate of commons on ebay is??? 7's, 7's(sp), 8's, 8's(sp) I thought Buc stated some earlier prices that looked alittle lower than recent completed auctions. Any of you regular buyers have any info???

Thx Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    major sellers get higher prices....i know i needed a centered roy mcmillan and found a 50/50...final price on the 7 was 35.50. The eye applea was great...and i know this brings more bidders....but i had some hard to get great 7's with 50/50 up last year and got hardly anything for them....the seller was DSL.

centering always brings a premium.....but it does seem to me that prices are on a bit of a lull for psa 6-7.....some fresh blood needs to re-enter the 57 midrange set collecting market in the next year or they will continue to drop....

i saw some 8's go for some crazy money...they were all lower pop though.....a jim small go for 81.....a saw a psa 7 schoonmaker go for 55 but thats cause it was 50/50...it would have gone for 35 if i hadnt bid though...i WANTED THAT CARD....didnt happen.

if you see a 50/50 that goes for high dollar in psa 7...more then likely THAT CARD is rare to find truly centered....Roy Mcmillan and Frank lary are 2 examples i paid over SMR recently to find 50/50 copies....ya just never see them centered really.

loth
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I would expect that you'll get your wish on the mid-grade collectors of '57T sometime next year. Right around heritage time. Assuming Topps does a nice job with the Heritage set, I would expect to see a lot of collectors jumping on the "real" 57's in an attempt to compliment their heritage sets and learn a bit more. It certainly seemed to me that the 55 and 56 sets showed an influx of interest the last two years around the time heritage came out.
  • Options
    Gentlemen...behold

well worth the SMR value I think:

Mr. Robinson
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    That's a beautiful lookin' Frank Robinson rookie! Wow....
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    yeah i know...when i saw it..i had to have it....i had been looking for a robinson rookie the last couple days..i think i grabbed it 5 min after it went up...i had not seen it until late last night pop up on my searches.

it was only SMR value....just looking at it....I think its worth every penny!!!! I had never EVER expected to find a 7 at SMR with that centering available......wow...its now the CORNERSTONE of my set....adios mantle!!!

along with the brooks below..i never though id have gotten both in psa 7 looking so nice under 700 dollars

loth
  • Options
    Congrats. That is one nice looking card. I have a badly o/c left to right that needs upgraded. I only hope to find one that nice.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    57 lots end in 2 hours...they are going cheap....

psa 5,6,7 lots
  • Options
    just put my 57 topps PSA 6 & 7 cards on eBay today, check em out
  • Options
    punt
  • Options
    For whatever it's worth, I set my snipes on many of your lots as thus: $8 for psa6, $11 for psa7 and $14 for psa6 SP. Predictably, I only won 1 lot but probably would have re-evaluated them if I had not been on vacation. I'll end up paying more but right now, I'm only at the half way point.

By the way, that is one VERY nice Frank Robinson.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I am 100% surprised he will let you return it.... >>

The seller's/dealer's ebay name is siriussports1. Excellent customer service.
  • Options
  • Options
    anybody interersted in a psa 6 clemente with nice centering and no snow....email this guy ...ziggo820@yahoo.com....and let him know...and ask him for the scan....tell him ebay ID oucom52 sent ya....

loth
  • Options
    by far one of the toughest SP's to find with any kind of centering is Don Hoak....there is just something about this card....i saw a centered 8 go for over 100 bucks the other day....ridiculous....I picked this one up RAW from a pretty trusty person....it seems to be 60/40 to the left and to the bottom...but it beats the HECK out of the psa 7 that i have that is 80-20 to the right. I plan on getting it graded soon and hope it gets a 5-7....praying for at least a 6

Don's been dead for about 36 years........