Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1957 Topps Baseball discussion

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

bammerbb,

As a person that has collected both sets, raw and grade, I love them both nearly the same. If I was forced to pick one set it would be the '57's, basic clean design with more than just head shots wins me over every time I see them. Both sets are similar is size, the '57 with 407, and the '56 with 340. Both sets are readily available in PSA 6-8 grades, although the 8's can get expensive. The '57 has more rookies and HOFers, the number of HOFers is close. I really like the '56's too, the last year for big cards!!! I collect '54's also and most of the '54s and '56s share the same head shots which I have grown to like. Lastly, the horizontal design is appealing and the only set in my collection as such.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide. You cant go wrong with either..
    Dave

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Thanks Dave for your reply and advice. Must admit it's a tough choice.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

57 was one of my favorites until I had to sell it with most of my collection in late 2012 to pay medical bills after my wife passed. There are several cards with solid backgrounds with no scenery. It appears that most of them were in the last 2 series.
    I am in the process of sending a full team set of the 57 tigers which I just purchased raw.
    Prices have gone sky high on this set as many of the sets from the mid sixties and back due to a seller on eBay who has almost monopolized all the vintage sets putting unreasonable prices on them
    Good luck with your set.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bammerbb said:
    Hi all, I have a question and would like to get some of your views. I'm really thinking about selling most of my modern and to do vintage. I'm 66, which may come into play if it's going to take a long time to do. Anyway, right now I have a 1956 Topps Basic set started and the 1961 Topps Basic set started. Which set, between 1956 or 1957 would be best to do. Right now I must say I like the 57 set better as far as design and aesthetics go. Correct me if I'm wrong, I do think both sets are smaller sets which would make a difference. So which set should I do along with my 61s?

If you like the '57 set better, I'd definitely suggest building that one.

• Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

anyone still working on this set?

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)