Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1957 Topps Baseball discussion

Comments

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    1957 topps....still the best dag on set ever!
  • Options

<< <i>1957 topps....still the best dag on set ever! >>

It's certainly my favorite! And here are some of my favorite cards from this set:

Keith
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Those are some great looking cards. I checked out your set and you have a nice set in progress with many tough 8's and 9's. Those 9's are way out of my price range but nothing beats a well centered 7 or 8.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see a scan of the Charley Neal card with the Gem Blade and Abe Stark signs in the background. That's one of the coolest cards I've ever seen.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    '57 was never my favorite, I thought it was all headshots and posed batting stances, but the Collins and Valo are pretty cool. I think the Valo is my favorite, never seen a card with that pose before and its something players do all the time, select a bat. Thanks,
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of good shots of Ebbets Field, the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

So cool. Thanks.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Love the '57s....thanks for the scans! I can't believe the Gilliam didn't get a 9. Very sharp and perfectly centered card.

Semper Fi,
    Dan
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I truly enjoy sharing my collection and will continue to do so as my set progresses.

Dave, I absolutely agree. I probably spend more time looking at my well-centered 8's than my 9's, and even if I already have a card in 9, I'll pick up an 8 if it's dead centered.

Here are a few more that just came in this week:

image.......image

image.......image

image.......image
    Keith
  • Options
    Hello all, I am back at it again. Trying to build another graded set ( i sold the #30 set a few years ago), I am looking for 6's 7's and 8's at reasonable prices, please let me know,
    Greg
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hi Greg maybe create a thread over at the Buy/sell/trade forum?

Good luck.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Welcome back Greg... I don't know what caused you to sell the first time, but I hope everything goes well the second go around. I have found that WAITING is the key to my set building. It has been really slow going of late but I have upgraded many 7's to 8's along the way. I have a few new additions that recently came back from PSA that I need to get scanned. I bought a few cards at a local show for $6-$12 each and got three of the four into PSA 8 holders. I was reallt excited about that, but don't think I will be having that luck again. It is nice to have another '57 poster to keep the thread moving. Good Luck

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    i am trying to get this set and a run of topps from 52-59 in beater shape...let me know if anyone here has some for trade or sale...
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Just added this to my set:

I'm slowly plugging away at almost 60% completion.

I've got a lot of doubles available (all in grade 8 with some low pops) and will try to get a list together soon.

Keith
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just added this to my set:

I'm slowly plugging away at almost 60% completion.

I've got a lot of doubles available (all in grade 8 with some low pops) and will try to get a list together soon. >>

Very nice card at a not too bad of price. Way out of my league.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Posted this new addition on the community board, but just in case anyone missed it over there, I thought there'd be some interest over here too. Enjoy, and Happy New Year!

• Options
    That's a great looking Brooks Robinson, Paleo. I'm happy to add these Dodgers to my set:

Keith
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Keith,

Those 9's of yours are absolutely jaw-dropping! Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a terrific Maglie. Seeing him, Gilliam and Collins here takes on a little extra resonance after watching the kinescope of Larsen's perfect game this weekend.

I still find it interesting that Maglie wound up pitching for the Dodgers. His first day in the clubhouse must've been a bit awkward, dressing with a couple of dozen guys he had buzzed (at least) in the past.
  • Options
    There are alot of really nice 57's on ebay due to a few set breaks. I think some of the cards will do really well, but I worry that alot of them will go low. I don't know if I would like to be selling right now. On a side note the seller that is breaking the #10 set has alot of really nice cards I need so stay away!!!:>
    15 more to go...
    Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    I am under 10 cards now to finish my set. I could use some help on the following.

I am looking for these cards in the following grade. PM or email at daivdmeale@hotmail.com

10 PSA 7 or 8
    92 PSA 8
    114 PSA 7 or 8
    166 PSA 8
    240 PSA 7
    280 PSA 7 maybe 8
    303 PSA 7
    391 PSA 7
    407 PSA 7

Thx Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>I am under 10 cards now to finish my set. I could use some help on the following.

I am looking for these cards in the following grade. PM or email at daivdmeale@hotmail.com

10 PSA 7 or 8
    92 PSA 8
    114 PSA 7 or 8
    166 PSA 8
    240 PSA 7
    280 PSA 7 maybe 8
    303 PSA 7
    391 PSA 7
    407 PSA 7

Thx Dave >>

Dave,

You can probably taste it now. Are these cards readily available and it's just a matter of all 7s and 8s are not created equal? Or are you looking to get them at your price? How tough do you expect these final cards to be? I see you need the Mays and the Yankee Power Hitters cards. What's the story on the others? Low pops? Good luck on these last few cards.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Spent the day cleaning out the card room. Ugh. The good thing about that is I re-discovered this baby (thought I had lost it):

• Options
    LOL Bob. I can't say I ever misplaced a $3000+ card. I don't even own one and if I did I wouldn't let it out of my sight. On a side note I didn't realize you had that large of a collection. I was looking through the registry and clicked on your other sets and was amazed. One question. Why no 58 set?

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why no 58 set? >>

Dave,

I've been asking myself the same thing. I have the set raw with a few graded cards (the yellow letter variations mostly), but what I have isn't worth grading. Actually, I started the set yesterday by buying Packman's run of PSA 8 All-Star cards. I then promptly lost the first five eBay auctions I bid on.......rats. image

Bob

P.S. $3,000 cards get lost just as easily as $1 cards (just ask my wife). I had picked up an SGC 60 Rose Rookie as part of a larger lot of Rose stuff a year or so ago, and when I worked my way through the card room yesterday, I couldn't find it although I found the other cards that were in the same lot. On a hunch, I aimed a flashlight behind the piano that's against the wall near the computer and there it was, sort of stuck in the back of the piano near the floor. Yay! image
  • Options
    Nice 'find' there Bob. I would have torn the house apart if I thought I had lost a card that valuable.

Here are some recent additions. I've been waiting for more PSA 9's to come up on ebay but they are few and far between as of late.

image....image

image....image

image....image

Keith
  • Options
    Keith,
    Those are some great looking additions. I might be moving a few closer in the next week or two.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    Dave,

Must feel great to have the finish line so close. I figure I have a few more years before I get there, but so far the journey's been fun.

Here are a few of my recent pick ups:

image....image

image....image

Keith
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I just picked up this '57 Campy and had a quick question for all of you '57 Topps gurus. I noticed that the top right corner of the photo on the card is rounded on this one. All of the other '57 Campy's I've seen have a square corner. I know this isn't a huge variation or anything but I am curious as to why this one would have the rounded corner. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Chris

Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    First off that is a great looking 6. I have not seen that rounded corner before. I was thinking it was just a well placed print defect.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    I still love this set!!!!
  • Options
    Agreed, Lothar!

Chris,

I've also noticed that on some of the cards I have. I think it's just an error that occurred during the printing process.

I've acquired a few more cards. I think there's something wrong with me because I get more excited about picking up a nicely centered low pop common than I do a HOF'er.
    The Windy McCall is a very tough card in PSA 8, and even though I already had one, I couldn't pass this one up as I've never seen one this well-centered:

I also just received this Bobby Thomson (Boo! Hiss!). It's not that hard to find in high grade, but for me it's been a long search to find one decently centered.

Keith
  • Options
    Keith,
    Great cards once again.

Ryan,
    What is going on? Are you ready to sell me that Mantle yet? Good to see you.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    Does anyone have a nice centered Mays in PSA 7 or 8? I would rather have the 8 but will take a 7.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    Here are a few recent additions. It's been slow going for me lately as I'm finding it hard to get the cards I need. Ebay has been more miss than hit recently and I'm getting blown out of the water at all the auction houses. Hopefully the sets that have sold on Mile High and the upcoming REA will be broken up and more good stuff will be made available soon.

image....image

image....image
    Keith
  • Options
    Dave,

pm sent.
    Keith
  • Options
    Some recent pickups:

image....image

And I finally got a Mantle.

Keith
  • Options
    Man those are 4 high dollar cards in 8. Where did you get the Mantle? Great cards!!!!

D
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    Dave,

Got the Mantle on ebay as a BIN. Seller had a lousy scan but VCP showed it as having sold at Goodwin in 2008 and that scan was terriffic. I'm still waiting for a dead-centered 8.5 or 9 to come along. Good luck in getting your Mantle at the nationals.
    Keith
  • Options
    What ever happened to Arny Vee??? Anyone heard from him?? I just sent in about 80 raw 57's for my set....hope to get it finalized soon.

Loth
  • Options
    Loth - good luck on your sub.

Here are a few more recent pickups:

image....image

image....image

I've got a lot of duplicates in PSA 8, so if anyone is interested, pm me and I can get you a list out to you.
    Keith
  • Options
    That Robinson is one of the best I have seen. I have only upgraded about 15 7's to 8's in the last few weeks. I still need three cards but don't feel like I am close to finishing because of all the upgrades I want to do. So in my mind I still need about 50 plus.

Loth LMK what cards you need I have about 40 extra PSA 7's and a few others 6-8's.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Most of the cards posted this year where some of the best I have ever seen. Great job guys.
  • Options
    Here are some recent pickups. I'm especially happy about the Aparicio, as it is the first one I've seen up for auction this nicely centered. I hope everyone else is making steady progress with their sets as well.

image....image

image....image

image....image

image....image
    Keith
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Keith,

Those are some amazing looking cards. You seem to have a VERY impressive collection. I saw your basketball cards on the "Raw Card Saturday" thread, and your gorgeous '79 baseball on the "Burgundy" thread. All the cards you post are impressive to say the least.

I'm currently working on a '57 set and am pleased with the way it's progressing. However, when I look at your cards I feel humbled. I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful cards.

Here are some of my nicer ones.

Brett
  • Options
    Keith,
    As always those adddtions are out of this world. I am in love with centering so you made my day.

Brett,
    I have about 30+ dups from the the 57 set most are PSA 7's

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Dave,

I sent you a PM.
    Brett
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    57 is an awesome set.It was the 3rd set I ever built however it is raw and will stay this way except for some of the star cards.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Brett and Dave - thanks for the kind words, and I will certainly continue to post my progress here and hopefully other collectors of this wonderful set will also chime in.

Brett - you're off to a great start so far, and you've got two of the biggest ones in the Williams and Mantle out of the way. And I can only dream of having the raw collection that you have. The vast majority of my collection is also raw, but it pales in comparison to yours. I hope to read more about your progress soon.

Dave - I see you're almost at the finish line and continuing to upgrade your set. Did you see the Mantle/Berra PSA 8 that recently sold on ebay? One of the nicest examples I've yet seen, but at over $1900...wow!

Here are a few more recent buys. I'm particularly happy about the Crimian and King as they are so hard to find centered:

image....image

image....image

image....image

image....image

image....image
    Keith