Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1957 Topps Baseball discussion

There seems to be some interest in 1957 Topps Baseball and I would like get the discussions going on a variety of topics related to this great set. Off of the top of my head, I can think of 3 collectors that are active in the forum: mealeworm, lothar52 and myself. There are at least a couple of more but I can't remember the names, sorry.

Anyway, I have a few general comments and a pricing analysis that I could put up later but first, I want to re-iterate mealeworm's question/concern:

-------
Have you ever came had any 57's that were great looking but it is almost like they dont have a gloss finish. The cards are rough on the surface. Under a light they look fine, its almost like there is no finish at all. I have decided to give the 57 set a serious run. I have submitted 8 star cards so far and all came back 7-8. Only one came back 6(mathews) and it was one of the cards that felt rough. I had it pregraded as 8, so i think the surface must have held it back. I have tons of great commons 7-8 easy, but about 30% are like the mathews. I really dont want to submit them if they are going to grade them as such. Any dealings with this matter???
-------

I have a 100+ card submission that will be sent in soon but that will be my first 1957 submission; so I don't have an answer to his question. Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I think what attracted me to build this set is its "famousness". As I was learning about the business/hobby in the 1980s, all I heard about was that the 1957 set was Topps' finest and rated #1 by collectors. I believe it has to do with its "classic" look of having a full frame color photo that truly represents 1950s baseball. The previous two years had the bi-photo design and the following 3 years went with bright gaudy colors for the background and/or letterings. I also think the standard size has something to do with it but probably not much. This is not a hard set to complete (from the look in the Registry), even in higher grades. From handling many raw 1957s, I can attest to their sturdiness and thus, perhaps more tolerant to show wear (just a perception).

What I find interesting though is how the 1957s display compared to other sets. They are, admittedly, darker toned, subdued and a little underexposed. The other sets of the 1950s went with vivid colored backgrounds to make them stand out. And into the 1960s, we started to see very sharp color photos. But there is something to be said about the simple elegance of the 1957 design, not only maximizing the photo but using non-intrusive lettering. I know I am biased, but if you take a look at the player sets of the star players from the 1950s into the 1960s, I would argue that in more cases than not, the player's best card would be the 1957. Mays, Mantle and Aaron comes to mind. But then again, I prefer body shots over mug shots.

• Options
    Steve,

I don't collect the 1957 set but believe it is the best looking Topps set ever issued. It marked the beginning of one era -- the standardization of the card size -- and the end of another -- the last year of the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers. I love the simplicity and the photography, although as you mentioned many cards appear underexposed.

I too have seen glossy '57's as well as some that appear to have no gloss at all -- they're very flat.

I think that the Frank Robinson rookie card is the most attractive one in the set and one of the greatest looking cards ever issued.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I agree with you whole-heartedly. The 1957 set has always held a special place in my collection. I have also found some dull looking cards....not sure if they were on top of the wax pack and were affected by the wax.

I enjoy this set because of the great selection of stars [except of course for Stan the Man], the difficulty of the mid-series [does anybody know why?? I don't] and the super clean card fronts. It has an uncorrected error card [Hank Aaron's reversed negative making him look like a lefty], a corrected error card Gene Bakep [an error or a printing defect?] and a bunch of top rookies [F. Robby, B. Robby, etc].

There's also the "Ghost of Babe Ruth" on Mickey Mantle's card. Can you see him behind and to the right of Mickey?

Actually, Topps probably "air-brushed" a figure out of the background.

Right now I'm 2d on the active set list for 1957 Baseball. I hope to reach #1 soon. Stay tuned.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    57 topps is the ultimate set for collectors. So many stars....so little money LOL

i am currently 5 cards away from the set...but i want to upgrade abotu 100 or so.......i will be working on this set for a long time!!

Glad we got a thread...lets keep it alive with news about our 57 sets!

loth
  • Options
    the 57 mantle is arguably his best looking card..and the only official topps card that show his power swing in action........all other mantles are mug shots or batting poses that dont show his full swing much less the background. Considering the 57 topps card has a picture of him from 1956....his triple crown year....its prolly a picture of him at his peak in health and performance (aside from the knee).

56 is nice..shows him playign defense....

60 is nice...he looks happy in that picture

• Options
    I think when you compare mantle fans psa 9 to my psa 7 linked below you can see the slight slant in my psa 7.....its got the whole "1957 slant" to it...not bad..but its there. Both our cards have BRILLIANT CLARITY for 1957 topps...u can really SEE the micks face....alot of time his face is not clear at all and has fish eyes even. Obviously mine prolly has more corner wear.

my set will consist when im done of psa 5-8 cards ( 2 nice 5's i plan to keep are 50/50 centered bunning and drysdale rc's) .....mostly 7's.....and i want them all to be very well centered....im not in this game to get teh best 57 set ever...i just want one of the NICEST .....its truly not that hard to collect this set....considering i built this in about a year....in the next 5 i will refine the set and make it my crown jewel. i have 63 57's i want to upgrade, 50 raw i want to grade...and about 30 i need to crossover from GAI/SGC to PSA.

im not done by a long shot....doh!!

• Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    1957... Full of HOFers and Rookies...

Up until now I have only really collected player sets, so I cant wait to purchase some 15-20 dollar commons and get enjoyment out of them. I feel the set is just big enough to keep you busy and not too much like some other monsters. I really like the classic design and cant wait to get moving up the registry list. I plan to start out in the 7-8 range and will probably sell off my 5-6's. What is the market like on 7-8??? Is there stuff out there to buy??? Any large lots ever hit Ebay or private sales??? I will have a better idea of the cards I will need after I submit roughly 100+ raws i have been looking through. I pregraded them as: 3-9's 29-8's 32-7's and the rest lower. Bad news is the mantle is horrible o/c and the Williams has bad corners. The 400 and 407 have 7-8 front but both have matching stains on back. So I will have something to work with once these are graded. COME ON $5.00 FIFTIES SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking foward to dealing with all of you
    Thanks Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    Hi. We've been offloading a ton of 1957 PSA 7 commons. Currently one auction left on ebay if you're interested (shameless link to our current auction)

Lot of 10 1957 PSA 7s

From our experience, 7s come and go on ebay for right around grading cost, when you factor in shipping costs - around $12-15 each, sometimes cheaper. 6s you can certainly get for well under grading fees, so probably not worth grading yourself. 8s usually have a nice mark up, especially since they're so damn nice looking. Such a great looking set, especially the stars.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I'm collecting the set raw in Ex+ to NM condition with the stars graded. I have a Mathews in 6 and a Kaline to send in. I've got about 1/3 of the set so far but have a batch of cards coming from another board member. I've also noticed the lack of gloss on some cards Steve, not sure of the reason.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    As of today, I have 196 cards in my 1957 set - 31% (60) are graded and 69% (136) are raw. In the past 7 months, I have been actively buying PSA 6 and some PSA 7 off of eBay. For the star cards, I pay at SMR or up to +20% SMR for nicely centered PSA 6, but that's just a personal preference (with the darker backgrounds contrasting with the white border, an off-centered version really looks bad). But as typical for eBay auctions, I sometimes luck out with paying 40% under SMR. As far as the prices for non-star PSA 6 and 7, here's my analysis so far:

Series 1, 2, 3 and 5: $5-$9 (average $7) for PSA 6; average $11 for PSA 7
    Series 4: $12-$14 (average $13) for PSA 6
    Minor Stars and Semi-Stars Series 1, 2, 3 and 5: average $11
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    I've got 389 cards in the set, with 28% of them graded. I've also got about 70 cards that I'd send in for grading if there was ever a 50s deal.
    Commons come up all the time in the 5-8 range. I think the pricing has cooled just a bit on some over the last year or so for 5-7 grades. I've recently picked up some nice cards for under SMR that would have been a lot closer to SMR or higher, with more bidding activity. I'm hoping to get the remaining cards in 6 and 7 and possibly sell.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    I don't collect the 57 set, but have to agree it is one of the most beautiful sets out there. If anyone is interested, I have a recently graded psa 6 mazeroski rc available.
    e-mail me at susymatt2@aol.com, if interested.

Mike
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just great, another awesome thread that makes me want to stray from my 78 set ..... you guys s**k!!!!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

In regards to everyone's favorite set (1957).....being a Kaline fan
    1957 was also into Mr. Tigers career at a point when he was very
    young, innocent and the 1957 Kaline has ALWAYS been my favorite
    Kaline card. There are many others that are probably scarcer, but
    just seeing Kaline in that batting pose with his perfect stance, it
    reminds me of what a great all-around HOFer that Kaline was.

Over the years I have had so many 57's and everytime I get some
    graded (I have about 15 waiting right now!), I think ... " .....OK, I
    am going to start a PSA set of these!" It never happens though,
    because as we all know to put together a set in high grade is not
    exactly cheap!image

As many of you know, I actually had 500 business cards done with
    the 1957 Kaline in color. A little mini card in of itself! Anyway, the
    reactions I got with that card when I handed them out told it all!
    I went through those like candy, because they looked exactly like
    the 57 Kaline except I made his name a little darker.

One of these days I will reprint them and start handing them out
    again!

Anyway, there I go ranting again as usual...OK OK, I will return
    to my OPC sets now...LOL

TONYimage
  • Options
    goldrockgoldrock Posts: 8 ✭✭
    My favorite and only set..........1957 Topps
  • Options
    Goldrock....

You have trolled these boards for some time....

Loth
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    One of my long term collecting goals is to get into high grade '57's (and '59's, two of my favorite years). I'd love to get some of the commons and maybe a star or two in Mint 9.

If you extrapolate some pop numbers for the commons, prices should eventually come way down. There's only been 150-250 of each common submitted; the HOF'ers have had 1,500 or more.

Any guesses as to what Mint 9 commons will eventually sell for?
  • Options
    Here lately it seems like ive been pissed.....your right...I am

thanks

Loth
  • Options
    I wanted to post some of my latest.... I love those Mantle pictures and only hope one day I can get a 7 or 8. I actually thought the Koufax would get an 8.

One day I will learn how to post pics

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    By far my favorite of all time. I'm just 5 shy of a "straight 8" set and just this week added my first two PSA 9's. If I can't get to 8.00 with all 8's, then I won't be shy about adding 9's as available. It was the first vintage set I completed, and I've also been consistently upgrading my complete raw set as well. In addition ot the appeal of player selection mentioned above, it also has the advantage of being of a managable size, instead of those 700-plus 1970's sets I've finished. I'm currently #10 in a closely bunched group of 100% sets near or just over 8.00.

Dave - the cards were in the mail today so you should have them by Monday at the latest. Hopefully they will give your raw set a nice boost!

Steve

Link To Steve's Sputnik Autum 1957 Set
  • Options

<< <i>I wanted to post some of my latest.... I love those Mantle pictures and only hope one day I can get a 7 or 8. I actually thought the Koufax would get an 8.

One day I will learn how to post pics

Dave >>

alli can say is WOW...my bunning is a 5, my koufax is a 6, and i just got a similar centered psa 7 brooks robinson that can be seen below.

lets keep this post going!

loth
  • Options
    At the risk of being humiliated by those collecting high-grade cards (and being redundant since I have posted these scans recently), here are some of my 1957s

I agree that this is Kaline’s best looking card

and my favorite looking card (so far) - love the blue skies
  • Options
    That's why this is such a great set. Those are beautiful cards Steve...nothing to be "humiliated" there. Do you need #303 Billy Goodman? It's a mid-series card and I have a PSA 6 you can have if you like.image
    Frank

• Options

<< <i>That's why this is such a great set. Those are beautiful cards Steve...nothing to be "humiliated" there. Do you need #303 Billy Goodman? It's a mid-series card and I have a PSA 6 you can have if you like.image >>

I do need him. Thanks.
  • Options

Greetings

I am new to the Board and new to vintage collecting. I am working on a 56 set, mostly raw, and am thinking of putting it on the backburner and working on another 50s set.

I have narrowed the choice to 57 Topps and 53 Bowman. I really like the clean look of both sets. I am wondering if any of you other 57 Topps collectors had considered the 53 Bowmans. It looks like the SMR for the 53 Bowmans is higher than the 57 Topps, but since the set size is smaller it may not feel as intimdating to put it together.

Regards

• Options

<< <i>Greetings

I am new to the Board and new to vintage collecting. I am working on a 56 set, mostly raw, and am thinking of putting it on the backburner and working on another 50s set.

I have narrowed the choice to 57 Topps and 53 Bowman. I really like the clean look of both sets. I am wondering if any of you other 57 Topps collectors had considered the 53 Bowmans. It looks like the SMR for the 53 Bowmans is higher than the 57 Topps, but since the set size is smaller it may not feel as intimdating to put it together.

Regards >>

I have both sets and I am attracted by their "clean look" as you say. I think the 57 set is easier to put together in high grade. The high number 53 Bowmans are very tough.
    Frank

• Options
    I am loving this thread and can't wait to get my cards into psa. It will be June 1st. I am hoping for a special but if not bulk will do. I am interested to know what the experts view as the toughest 10 cards. I have no idea and can only use pop reports to try to determine. What about the #1 Williams??? First cards in a set are always tough. Any thoughts...
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    "Tough" could mean "expensive" or "hard to find". The Williams is easy to find in PSA 7 or 8.

For me, the "hard to find" PSA 8's are Mike Garcia, Hal Naragon, Eddie Yost, Bob Thurman, Windy McCall, Washington Senators Team and Max Surkont.
    Frank

• Options
    Frank, your presence and knowledge in this thread is an honor. I hope to learn more from you and others.
  • Options
    MachodocMachodoc Posts: 541
    Frank's right about every card he mentions. I would also add that tough, that is hard to find cards include #303 Billy Goodman (pop 26 in 8, 1 higher), #307 Jack Phillips (pop 27 in 8, none higher), and #298 Irv Noren (pop 33 in 8, 2 higher).

I've never understood why the Naragon card gets more press than cards such as the Surkont, which is a pop 21 in PSA 8 versus 23 for Naragon, unless the Naragon pop has climbed significantly recently. Windy McCall is a really tough card, even more than its 29 in pop 8 might lead you to believe, as is the Billy Goodman.

PSA 9 commons sell for between $250 and $400, depending upon the dealer and who might be bidding for them on any given day.

Steve
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    A very very nice set indeed !

I finished a raw one in about 1985, close to NM overall. In the last couple years I've gotten some PSA graded ( mostly 7s and 8s ) and have sold off some, as well as a few raw too. Though I truly enjoy the set I decided to focus instead on 56 Topps and 52 Bowman from that particular time frame and also work on a few newer ones, just cant afford to do all I like.

One facet of the 57 set which I feel is a drawback or slight glitch might be the final series picture quality. With some exceptions there are many higher numbers with a "color-over" type of photo. A stark contrast to the clear sharp picture quality from the first two series especially. Check out some of these cards, they aren't actually drawn pictures, but appear to be mediocre touch ups of some sort. Not a major problem at all, but a little disappointing in comparison to the lower numbers.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    This is my second-favorite vintage set (1960 Topps is first), but I still love to go out to shows, purchase nice raw ones, and send them in to PSA. I just sent in another batch of them, actually, just yesterday. About 8 went in the submission. Hoping for some big-money cards so I can buy more of the 60's I need for my set (only about 20% done). Once I finish up the 60 Topps set, the 57 set is my next goal. But that wont be for a while, so if anybody has any 60 Topps PSA to sell to me (7 or higher), LMK, because I buy all the time.
  • Options
    PSA 9 commons sell for between $250 and $400, depending upon the dealer and who might be bidding for them on any given day.

Sadly, I disagree there. Check out the completed EBAY listings....I have lost common cards in the past week to scorehouse, and JWGoethe for $700 - $1100!image
    Frank

• Options
    MachodocMachodoc Posts: 541
    Frank,

I know that prices can be pretty wild depending upon the card. Last week however maybe I got lucky by picking up my first two PSA 9's - the Orioles team card for $425 and #162 for $275.

SW
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve....

Those are absolutely beautiful PSA 6 stars. The centering is outstanding and they have great eye appeal. Anyone would be proud to own those beauties. Congrats!!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Frank,

Sure you lost PSA 9's for 1,100 each to those two gentlemen but if you take them out of the equation, is the price for a particular 9 still $1,100? No. The registry has created such competition but after one collector obtains a psa 9 of that player the next 9 that comes up for sale doesn't sell for nearly as much. They could easily fall to 400 or 500.

Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options

<< <i>Frank,

Sure you lost PSA 9's for 1,100 each to those two gentlemen but if you take them out of the equation, is the price for a particular 9 still $1,100? No. The registry has created such competition but after one collector obtains a psa 9 of that player the next 9 that comes up for sale doesn't sell for nearly as much. They could easily fall to 400 or 500. >>

The reality of the situation is that these two bidders are in the equation.

There is a scarcity factor as well. There are 27 cards in this set with zero PSA 9's! Plus 47 cards which have only 1 PSA 9 ever graded. Unless these guys disappear or PSA 9's start coming out of the woodwork, prices will stay high.
    Frank

• Options
    Prices will stay high for those PSA 9's that are "low pop." Understandably so since its been 15 years and only one or none have been graded a psa 9. But for example the cards in 220's (i.e. Dixie Howell) that have higher pops of PSA 9's don't sell for that much since those collectors have already obtained those cards.
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    I wanted to post a few raws that I plan on submitting soon. I would like to hear what you think about the rough cut on the Mejias and if it would hurt it's grade. Its a shame the Pafko isn't cenered better because it has a great look with that blue background. EDIT I am so happy I finally figured out how to post pics!!!!

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    I would love to buy a lot like this but when you already have 6 of the cards, it's not cost effective.

mealeworm: I don't know what they would grade but I would love to hear from those more experienced.
  • Options
    With said lot going for $132.50, I wonder how many times 1957 PSA 7 commons have to sell in the $11-14 range to know that the SMR shouldn't be $22?
  • Options

<< <i>With said lot going for $132.50, I wonder how many times 1957 PSA 7 commons have to sell in the $11-14 range to know that the SMR shouldn't be $22? >>

Agree that $10 per is a better indication of PSA 7 prices. This lot didn't include any "tough" cards. The nice thing about graded lots though is that you can buy them, take out what you need and then re-list the remainder on EBAY.
    Frank

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mealworm, NICE centering on those geezers! Good luck

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    PUNT!
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I just received a large lot from Steve (Machodoc) yesterday......Thanks Steve! 62 raw cards and 4 PSA 5's which all present very well . This gives me just about 1/2 the set with 5 graded, 1 more to be graded and the rest raw. I'm collecting it in a fairly wide condition range Ex to NM so it's fairly easy to find the raw . The stars will be PSA 6 for the most part and those Steve (buccaneer) posted would be prefect.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    If anyone has any extra commons in PSA7 please PM me. I finally put a list together of cards I dont have or that have zero chance at pulling 7's if graded. I am hoping to pick up some in lots of 15-20 if possible.

Is there much of a market for decent raws with centering and corner issues??? Mainly 5-6 range with about 30% being 6.

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone has any extra commons in PSA7 please PM me. I finally put a list together of cards I dont have or that have zero chance at pulling 7's if graded. I am hoping to pick up some in lots of 15-20 if possible.

Is there much of a market for decent raws with centering and corner issues??? Mainly 5-6 range with about 30% being 6. >>

I don't think so, if you bought these. I tried to sell some extras (all 6-7) and got nothing for them.
  • Options
    I got a crapload of 7's , 6's, and a few 5's along with 26 raw 1957s for sale.....PM me if your interested...the 7's include:

#91 matt burk
    #347 hal naragon
    #348 jim hearn
    #119 stan lopata
    #96 hank aguirre
    #226 preston ward
    #56 dave sisler
    #67 chico carrasquel
    #73 george crowe
    #358 Jerry lynch
    #108 tommy bryne
    #48 bill bruton
    #253 gus zernial
    #133 del crandall
    #64 pete runnels
    #86 bobby richardson GAI 6.5
    #279 bob thurman GAI 7.0

...get the rest of the list when you PM me.

• Options
    Just won a PSA 8 #347 Naragon today which gets me to 8.00 on the set. Finally!

SW
  • Options

<< <i>Just won a PSA 8 #347 Naragon today which gets me to 8.00 on the set. Finally!

SW >>

Was that the one was started out at $999.99?