Home Sports Talk
Options

Randy was Dandy

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    But the Mariners wont laugh when they lose all of their decent players to free agency. Say goodbye to Ichiro, Seattle!

Only time will tell with Johnson. Im sure most teams, if not all, would love to have Johnson on their pitching staff.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wait just a minute, you're not getting away with that one. Twice, you used the word "tainted" to describe the Mariners? Yet, in 2003, a lot of Red Sox fans feel the entire ALCS was "tainted" - because if you take away the 2 HR's that the no-doubt-about-it juicing Giambi hit in Game 7, that game never comes down to the wire like it did. Not to mention the steroid allegations that constantly fly around Sheffield.

You can't have it both ways, WP.

So what exactly does that mean? I can't have it both ways?

sounds and looks alot like you are claiming I am ok with the yanks, not ok with the m's.

I simply asked to show me where you got that from. where I want it one way but not the other?

You now state that :

WP - not saying you said anything

So which is it?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Oh man, quit trying to put words in my mouth WP - I called you (as you are coming to the defense of Yankee apologists quite often lately, though I always thought you were a Mets fan, but I digress) on using the word tainted to describe the Mariners season in 2001 (I guess because you thought Boone was on the juice?), when the same case could be made (a stronger one, actually - since Giambi was an admitted steriod user for years) for a Yankee postseason win.

If you now agree with me on this, then fine. Otherwise, I really don't know where your arguments are going.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey CT, what exactly is a Yankee apologist? Is it the few good Yankee fans on this forum that try and defend them from the red eyed blood seeking haters like yourself who twist and turn every little happening in Yankeeland into the demise of the team or player? Is that what you think a Yankee "apologist" is? Even though none of them are CONSTANTLY searching for any little morsel to try and tear apart your lovely Red Sox? image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    CT I did not put any words in your mouth I specifically quoted you word for word.

Yes the whole stinking era is tainted.

ok?

edited to add.

CT I may be a mets fan but hypocrits need to be challenged. Stop being so hypocritical. You called me on something and I simply asked you to expand on it. as usual you took the easy way out and twisted it.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>But the Mariners wont laugh when they lose all of their decent players to free agency. Say goodbye to Ichiro, Seattle!

Only time will tell with Johnson. Im sure most teams, if not all, would love to have Johnson on their pitching staff. >>

Hah you really are as short-sighted as you make yourself out to be.

Seattle will not be saying 'goodbye' to Ichiro, he will retire a Mariner. He means to much to the city and the team to ever be let go.

Most teams would love to have a 43 year old pitcher with an era over 5 and no control in his last 6 starts? Uhmmmm if you say so.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But the Mariners wont laugh when they lose all of their decent players to free agency. Say goodbye to Ichiro, Seattle!

Only time will tell with Johnson. Im sure most teams, if not all, would love to have Johnson on their pitching staff. >>

Hah you really are as short-sighted as you make yourself out to be.

Seattle will not be saying 'goodbye' to Ichiro, he will retire a Mariner. He means to much to the city and the team to ever be let go.

Most teams would love to have a 43 year old pitcher with an era over 5 and no control in his last 6 starts? Uhmmmm if you say so. >>

Yeah and Griffey meant too much to the city, then he was gone.....Randy Johnson meant too much to the city, then he was gone.......Arod meant too much to the city, then he was gone......anyone sense a pattern here ? Seems to me the Mariners like to get rid of alot of hall of fame players who " meant alot to the city "

Of course Ax will have you believe that all 3 of those guys were no good, and how the M's made great decisions in letting them walk. I cant wait till Ichiro leaves and he spins it around to show how Ichiro was no good, how he was past his prime, etc, etc. I think the rule is this.....when you are on the M's, you are valuable and one of the greats, when they leave, they are overrated, past their prime, on juice, or any number of excuses.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Griffey signed for less than the mariners were willing to sign him for, to be closer to his home. I hold no ill will towards him.
    Arod was offered $250 million. End of story. There's no team willing to match that kind of dough not named the yankees. I hold no ill will towards him, either (anyone that does is a nitwit).
    Unit had multiple back issues towards his end of tenure in Seattle. It made smart business sense not to resign him. Hindsight is always 20/20, and looking back it would have made more sense to resign him.

Griffey single handedly saved baseball in Seattle, and was responsible for getting Safeco built. It's a pitcher's park, and I can't help but think that was part of the reason Griffey chose to sign elsewhere. I would love to see him come back for one final season at the end of his career, but I am not holding my breath.

Financially, the Mariners can't afford to let Ichiro go. He brings in not only tons of revenue from Seattle, but the huge number of fans from Japan are a big source of revenue as well.
  • Options
    So you are willing to believe that Ichiro is going to stay in a city that he doesn't like and where he knows he has little or no chance to go to the big show? You are delusional.
  • Options

<< <i>So you are willing to believe that Ichiro is going to stay in a city that he doesn't like and where he knows he has little or no chance to go to the big show? You are delusional. >>

He doesn't like Seattle? Uhm, sure.

• Options
    Ummm...yeah and you know it. He said it during the off season and caused a bit of a stir. Thats ok...you keep spinning.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey CT, what exactly is a Yankee apologist? >>

Okay - I'm sure you know, but I'll spell it out - a Yankee apologist is someone who continually screams from the rooftops about how "clutch" Derek Jeter is, even in the face of evidence that definitively proves otherwise.
  • Options

<< <i>Ummm...yeah and you know it. He said it during the off season and caused a bit of a stir. Thats ok...you keep spinning. >>

Oh no, you aren't getting off that easy, punk.

Either link the facts of Ichiro being quoted as 'hating Seattle' or kindly rescind your ignorant statement.

I'll be looking for your apology and retraction, shortly.
  • Options
    First of all, you will NEVER get any type of an apology from me...because you know Im a punk or so you say.

Second of all, I never said he HATED Seattle but that he didnt like it there...HATE is something you know and its very different than just not liking where you are.

It was reported on ESPN ya dope. This was even discussed on past threads before the season even began!

Are you dizzy from all your spinning?
  • Options
    OK, now I'll be waiting for YOUR apology dipsh*t...from your very own Seattle reporting...
    A future goodbye to Seattle!
  • Options
    Have you put it in your pipe and started smoking it yet????? Moron.
  • Options
    Axhole buried once again. Where's your spin Axhole?
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Invariably, he disappears.

For those in Modesto, that means always.
    "Can you say... invariably?"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey CT, what exactly is a Yankee apologist? >>

Okay - I'm sure you know, but I'll spell it out - a Yankee apologist is someone who continually screams from the rooftops about how "clutch" Derek Jeter is, even in the face of evidence that definitively proves otherwise. >>

oh, is that what it is? image Why don't you hook us all up with some LINKS big pants to back up that BULL$HIT ??? Or, are you just a deluded FOOL who thinks that the attacks on Derek Jeter on this board and the attempt to at least defend him are the "rooftop" screams?

Go ahead big shot Sox fan. Back up your LIES. Show all of us where Yankee fans are screaming from the rooftops EXCEPT to defend him against IDIOTS like yourself.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    CT
    But it is ok to be a MARINERS apologist?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    "rooftop" screams?

Is that like 'happening upon an article or poll' ?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    God forbid I happen to step away from the computer...buried? Hardly.

"At no point in the interview did Ichiro berate a Seattle player or coach by name. He did not ask to be traded. He did not threaten to retire. Still, his responses indicated a level of frustration many observers saw throughout a long season that Ichiro described as an unexpected struggle."

So he's frustrated by the team not winning. That hardly indicates he doesn't like Seattle, or that he wants out. It's the sign of a healthy competitor.

• Options
    And a sign of a player who will more than likely jet from that enviornment. Spin it any way you want, Ichiro wants more than what Seattle has to offer. He still has this year and next year on his contract. He is a class guy and isnt going to verbally destroy where he is going to have to play for the next two seasons.

Seattle isnt competitive and aren't going to be either. For that reason Ichiro will likely move on. Unless of course you are living in a fantasy world.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    yankeeno-

How long have you been a psychic, able to peer into other's minds and read what they are thinking? You could make real cash with that skill, homie!

• Options
    Avhole

How often do you do exactly that? act as if you know what someone is saying. Then when you are proven wrong spin it away?

jeese you really are something.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    image Up to 5.89
  • Options
    I guess Little unit's only saving grace tonight was that Clement was stinkier than he was.

Wow, 5.89 ERA, over $15 million earned this year...what a deal!
  • Options
    The only saving grace at this point if Randy can't turn it around will be that he will be gone as quick as he came. Well, not quite as quick as say a Scott Kashmir. But the Yanks aren't THAT stupid to let a kid get away ...... and be haunted for oh 10 or 12 years image

• Options
    Johnson's not going anywhere - you guys wanted him so badly, and now you're stuck with him. What other team in MLB would ever pick up his contract after seeing him pitch now? Maybe if he went back to the NL - and the Yankees paid most of the contract off, but that's it.

I was at a friends house and had to watch some of the game on the YES network - you should have heard those morons trying to spin Johnson's performance into a good one. They kept mentioning how he "wasn't that bad" and "he should take some positives" from the game, all while getting lit up and barely going 5 innings. That's what drives you nuts about the Yankee channels - if the guy stinks, then say he stinks. Don't treat your fans like they are bumbling idiots. Believe me, over on NESN, they were probably ripping Clement apart for his rotten showing tonight.
  • Options
    Please don't make out NESN to be up on some kind of pedestal. Yes, YES (no pun intended) goes overboard with silver linings for the Yankees but NESN is not much better. Afterall, they were succesful in blinding you Jerry. There is no bigger fan that is a homer then yourself.

• Options
    NESN doesn't blow smoke up your a** when someone from the Sox isn't doing well. Have you seen Jim Rice or Dennis Eckersley on their pre and post game shows on NESN? Believe me, they aren't blinding anyone. It's just a different type of broadcast, whereas the Yankee TV and radio announcers always seem afraid to criticize the team when they are playing poorly.

I was a Sox fan long before NESN, also. Used to watch the games on WSBK-38 as a kid.
  • Options
    Jerry, fair enough. Does it really matter? YES has its homers but Ken Singleton and Jim Kaat do a FINE job. Those two guys are not homers. Michael Kay ruins everything.

• Options
    Oh how I wish they would get Michael Kay out of the broadcast booth! Al Leiter really gives him a beating while doing a game. I think Leiter has it out for him or something LOL
  • Options
    Is Kay the one who calls every fly ball hit to the outfield by a yankee a possible home run?
  • Options

<< <i>

I was at a friends house and had to watch some of the game on the YES network - you should have heard those morons trying to spin Johnson's performance into a good one. They kept mentioning how he "wasn't that bad" and "he should take some positives" from the game, all while getting lit up and barely going 5 innings. That's what drives you nuts about the Yankee channels - if the guy stinks, then say he stinks. Don't treat your fans like they are bumbling idiots. Believe me, over on NESN, they were probably ripping Clement apart for his rotten showing tonight. >>

I completely agree with you. I was literally screaming at my tv set last night listening to them make excuses for Johnson. Would it be too damn much to just call things as they are and say the guy stunk ? At least Kay was saying he stunk. Leiter was blowing smoke up Johnsons you know what making one excuse after another. I am getting to the point where I cant watch a game on YES just because of Leiter. He has to give you a long, boring analysis of every play. He is absolutely the single most annoying person I have ever had to listen to.

Anyhow, as far as Randy Johnson.....he has had it. I am sick and tired of hearing about the "positives " he can take away from each start. I am SICK of hearing about his mechanics, or how he needs adjustments. This has been a year and a half of the same excuses, enough already. Call it like it is, the Yankees got burned taking an aging pitcher from the national league, putting him back in the A.L. with the better lineups, and no more 98 mph fastball. He will not, after 42 years, suddenly learn how to become pinpoint accurate with his pitches, he has relied on power his whole career. The power is gone now, it aint coming back, and the guy is done, period.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    ugggghhh, I just turned on sportscenter this morning and the first thing I see is Torre making more excuses for Johnson. He says the fact that Randy hung in there is progress. This is getting absolutely absurd. Has the bar been lowered that much for this overgrown crybaby ?

Then Harold Reynolds procedes to analyze Johnson, making more excuses. He blames the Yankees catchers for Johnsons problems, saying they are moving too much behind the plate and not giving him a steady target. ENOUGH already. I can definately see why people outside of this area are getting fumed at the Yankee coverage. There is no need to spend 10 minutes of sportcenter interviewing everyone under the sun about Johnson, then going another 5 minutes analyzing every pitch of his. Show the games highlights and MOVE ON.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The Big Unit is over.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Bri - I couldn't agree more with your assessment. I'm not saying they have to come out and bash the guy every outing, but especially last night when he wasn't pitching all that great, do we need to hear excuses - or reasons why his 5 inning performance was "progress"? One thing the New York media generally does not do is pull punches, so to constantly get that from Yankee TV and radio coverage must drive you Yankee fans nuts.

<< <i>Is Kay the one who calls every fly ball hit to the outfield by a yankee a possible home run? >>

No, you're thinking of their radio voice John Sterling.

"It is high - it is far, it is.........caught in shallow center field, two outs."

I heard an interview with him last year, and at least he basically admitted that what he does is schtick. He says he does it to get the fans excited, and pumped up during the game. Came across as a likeable guy, when not in performance mode.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭

<< <i>Bri - I couldn't agree more with your assessment. I'm not saying they have to come out and bash the guy every outing, but especially last night when he wasn't pitching all that great, do we need to hear excuses - or reasons why his 5 inning performance was "progress"? One thing the New York media generally does not do is pull punches, so to constantly get that from Yankee TV and radio coverage must drive you Yankee fans nuts.

<< <i>Is Kay the one who calls every fly ball hit to the outfield by a yankee a possible home run? >>

No, you're thinking of their radio voice John Sterling.

"It is high - it is far, it is.........caught in shallow center field, two outs."

I heard an interview with him last year, and at least he basically admitted that what he does is schtick. He says he does it to get the fans excited, and pumped up during the game. Came across as a likeable guy, when not in performance mode. >>

Please, someone, tell me just what the he!! the female 'color commentator' brings to a Yankee radio broadcasts. If I had to listen to her broadcasts and 'insight' you'd find me swinging from the ceiling with a noose around my neck. She is outright horrible, not saying that as a Sox fan, just my opinion as a long-time baseball fan. She brings nothing to the broadcast; it's almost as if she is making up the garbage she's spewing out of her mouth like a gun slinger in the wild west.
  • Options
    I can understand Torre's defending the guy - he has to. Anytime you have a manager who bashes a guy when he's down, all that does is kill what's left of his confidence.

But the radio guys need to be honest, and be upfront with the fans.
  • Options
    These days I cant even keep track of how many announcers & broacasters the Yankees have. It seems every other day they are adding someone new. It really is making me long for the days of regular TV, Bobby Murcer, Bill White, and Phil Rizzuto.

The female doing the games is Suzyn Waldman, and she is without a doubt one of the worst people to ever be allowed a speaking forum in the world of sports. She grew up in New England, was a die hard Red Sox fan until she became a traitor and now is one of the biggest homie announcers in the biz. How she has a job I will never know. She sends out this air about her like her words are the single most important thing ever said. She will argue baseball with former players till the end of time. She is a complete and total self promoting know it all.

I call on all Yankee fans as well as non Yankee fans who have an appreciation for the game to click on this link and respond.

Waldman must go
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    This was what the yankees have been expecting all season.
  • Options
    This thread will never die...
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Viva La Spammio! image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Randy Johnson sucks.

can we trade him for David Wells?

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    17-5 and counting....

...no team knows how to lose like the Yankees image

if you gotta lose..lose big image

maybe Er-rod can hit a 12 run homer image
  • Options
    Does anyone know the specifics of Johnson contract ? I am fairly certain he is signed through 2007, if I am wrong on that correct me, but is there any clause where the Yanks can buy him out after this year ? I really, REALLY dont want to put up with another year from this guy. If at all possible they should just cut their losses after this season and send him out to pasture.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone know the specifics of Johnson contract ? I am fairly certain he is signed through 2007, if I am wrong on that correct me, but is there any clause where the Yanks can buy him out after this year ? I really, REALLY dont want to put up with another year from this guy. If at all possible they should just cut their losses after this season and send him out to pasture. >>

It looks like he is signed through 2007:

Randy Johnson p
    2 years/$32M (2006-07)

Contracts Link

Great site by the way...shows detail of every team's player's contracts.
  • Options
    He has no trade value, and I believe he has a no trade clause. At best to get rid of him he'd have to be a salary throw in on a trade. I say move him to the bullpen and tell him to make sure he damn near throws his arm out for the 1-2 innings he gets. Might as well use him for what he's worth, possibly a middle reliever/setup man.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards