Home Sports Talk
Options

Randy was Dandy

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    He brought up a series, I brought up a series. Neither one of us used years.

Got it now, sparky?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Dan

Ever get the feeling that we are debating with an idiot?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

he most certaintly did you idiot.

he said: the year they set the record.

boy you really are a cement head.

here i'll help you along

DAN SAID: The Mariners at their best don't match up to the Yanks at their worst Remember that regular season record for wins they set? Ha, washed into nothing as the Yankees trounced them.

the key phrase being : Remember that regular season record for wins they set? Ha, washed into nothing

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ax, you didn't even watch this series. It is so evident. Rivera toyed with the M's the entire series like they were a ball of yarn. The fact that Showalter took him out of game 5 cost him his job. Don't you dare sit here and tell anybody who actually WATCHED that series that McDowell was the better option in that 9th inning because of "regular season" numbers. Only someone who DID NOT WATCH that series could be so fu$king stupid.

IDIOT

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Only someone who DID NOT WATCH that series could be so fu$king stupid.

No I disagree with you Dan. he could have watched it and still be that stupid. I mean he has proved just how stupid he is around 15 times today.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve,

this IDIOT has no clue. He was not watching baseball WAY back in those days image He has his years, facts, and lies all mixed up. Any real baseball fan knows that 1995 series is the MOMENTS that Mariano emerged into who he is. The bringing in of Jack McDowell in that 9th inning was a HUGE blunder by Showalter.

And yes, of course we are arguing with a IDIOT. I don't even dare using the word "debate" becuase he has no fu$king clue as to what he is TRYING to argue image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    You guys make whatever assumptions you want.

FACT: Rivera faced TWO (yes, just two) batters in game 5.
    FACT: In a tight game, the manager went with experience over a rookie.
    FACT: The yankees blew 2 other games, PRIOR to gave 5, so blaming it on Black Jack or Showalter is hillarious.

Hey, how did little unit do in his last start? Along those same lines, how did the great hope Chacon do tonight?
  • Options
    I'm not making any assumptions. You were proved wrong by me for the thousandth time and so you know will change the subjrct

earth to axhole..........the mariners did not win the 01 series.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    They won the 1995 series, which is what I was referring to, dope.
  • Options
    They won the 1995 series, which is what I was referring to, dope.

lol so you quote someone and then everyone is supposed to know that you were reffering to something else?

You make no mention as to the yr you refer to, yet the person that you replied to did. lol that is typical of you, get proved wrong and then say you was misunderstood.

nice try.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    sure you were.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You guys make whatever assumptions you want.

FACT: Rivera faced TWO (yes, just two) batters in game 5.
    FACT: In a tight game, the manager went with experience over a rookie.
    FACT: The yankees blew 2 other games, PRIOR to gave 5, so blaming it on Black Jack or Showalter is hillarious.

Hey, how did little unit do in his last start? Along those same lines, how did the great hope Chacon do tonight? >>

AGAIN Axhole wants to bring up ONE performance. Chacon has been pretty solid thus far. Ok, so he didnt have a good night tonight...are we going to discuss that his career is over or that he is no good or blah blah blah? Please.

How is the King, this year's CY Young winner, a definate HOFer doing so far this year?

Dan hits it right on the head every time he calls Axhole an IDIOT.
  • Options
    What a no nothing piece of turd this Axtell tool is. He is right there to get all over Shawn Chacon when even after this miserable start he has a BETTER ERA than the big flop Frankie Rodriguez image

Ax, you are just owned, chewed up, spit the fu$k out, and pissed all over for good measure. image

IDIOT

• Options
    And when do we ever see Yankee fans around here running like a little step child to EVERY little happening. Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Derek Jeter, on, and on, and on. If any Yankee has a bad night its just NEWS for everybody. Axtell behaves 100 times worse than ANY Yankee fan on these boards and that INCLUDES spammy.

• Options
    And when any Yankee has a good night, it is thrown at everyone at every angle, most people just do NOT care about the Yankees!!!
  • Options
    LOL

Then why is every other thread here about them? the randy is dandy thread was brought back from the dead 4 times. stop whining. you are the problem, huys like you that constantly whine about NY

you must be axholes twin.

lets go mets!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    And when any Yankee has a good night, it is thrown at everyone at every angle

It is?

can you provide me with a few links? and please no spammy threads from last yr.

thanks

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I did not bring this thread back from the dead, just so you know!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>And when any Yankee has a good night, it is thrown at everyone at every angle, most people just do NOT care about the Yankees!!! >>

No, you are wrong. 100% No Yankee fan on this board comes on here and waves pom poms every night when the Yankees do well.

• Options
    i did not say that you did. i simply stated that it was brought back from the dead 4 times. i should add just so you are getting the facts that it was brought back not by yankee fans but yankee haters.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    And another thread will start and die and be reborn again, if it is OK to talk about any positive Yankee related topic, what is so wrong about reporting the negative topics that are Yankee related?

I ask any member of these boards, WHY ARE YANKEE FANS SO DEFENSIVE WHEN IT COMES TO THE YANKEES?
  • Options

<< <i>
    AGAIN Axhole wants to bring up ONE performance. Chacon has been pretty solid thus far. Ok, so he didnt have a good night tonight...are we going to discuss that his career is over or that he is no good or blah blah blah? Please.
    >>

Hah I guess yankee lovers have lowered expectations when it comes to their pitchers. Pretty solid=5.21 ERA and a .276 batting average against?

Well I guess when you have randy johnson throwing over a 7 ERA the last 6 games, anything under 6 looks spectacular!

• Options
    Kenny Rogers (6-2, 3.23), Mike Maroth (5-2, 2.18), and Nate Robertson (4-2, 3.50) have been solid all season long thus far, and Jeremy Bonderman (4-2, 3.74) and Justin Verlander (4-3, 3.77) have been pretty solid too. Thing is, if these Tiger pitchers keep it up for the next couple months, Randy Johnson would get an All-Star game election over the 5 mentioned. Nothing like putting on an All-Star game, and seeing a team full of Yankees, even though they do not necessarily belong there in the first place. Go ahead, say I am overhyping average-at-best pitchers, say I am overhyping the Tigers in general, but at least it is different from hearing about the Yankees!!!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>The Mariners at their best don't match up to the Yanks at their worst Remember that regular season record for wins they set? Ha, washed into nothing as the Yankees trounced them.

tainted record, boone was on the juice.

remm now axhole?

Steve >>

Wait just a minute, you're not getting away with that one. Twice, you used the word "tainted" to describe the Mariners? Yet, in 2003, a lot of Red Sox fans feel the entire ALCS was "tainted" - because if you take away the 2 HR's that the no-doubt-about-it juicing Giambi hit in Game 7, that game never comes down to the wire like it did. Not to mention the steroid allegations that constantly fly around Sheffield.

You can't have it both ways, WP.
  • Options
    HockeyFan, the only way Randy Johnson goes to the All-Star game this season is if he buys a ticket. Believe me, everyone sees the decline of his game, and no manager in his right mind would pick him over many other worthy candidates. Verlander is the real deal, and Bonderman and Maroth are pitching great for the Tigers - it's early, but you have to like the staff there so far.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Wait just a minute, you're not getting away with that one. Twice, you used the word "tainted" to describe the Mariners? Yet, in 2003, a lot of Red Sox fans feel the entire ALCS was "tainted" - because if you take away the 2 HR's that the no-doubt-about-it juicing Giambi hit in Game 7, that game never comes down to the wire like it did. Not to mention the steroid allegations that constantly fly around Sheffield.

You can't have it both ways, WP. >>

Well, don't you remember, the yankees were *almost* righteous because they thought about voiding Giambi's contract! They're good guys! They don't condone steroid use! They'd never think to paint Giambi as a steroid user to void his contract, when instead it was about his poor production!

But wait, where was the righteous indignation about Sheffield admitting to using steroids during the same testimony?

WP and his ilk will say anything to cast a negative light on any team not in NY...and when that light is reflected right back, they cry 'no fair! Its you yankee haters hard at work!'

• Options
    Well, Randy Johnson may not be there this year, but for an All-Star game, over the past few decades I have watched, I see many players shafted from playing in the game, in favor of another more popular player with lesser statistical years. Although he was one of the greats, Cal Ripken was there a few times, when he really should not have been. Bonderman deserved to play in the game last year, but was not there, only Tiger there was Pudge, in a game played in Detroit, and I thought baseball wants what the fans want, 2 or 3 Tigers could have easily made the team.

I do hope the Tiger pitching staff holds up, and from past experience, I have been looking for them to get shelled badly in a 3 or 4 game spurt, but it has not yet happened. The way the Tigers have been in recent years, seems like they would win 5 straight, showing signs of going over the hump, then they would lost 5-10 straight, negating anything positive. Ever since Jim Leyland really got on them a few weeks ago about their play, they surely have brought their A game to the plate. The only knock I ever had with Trammell was that he did not get on players when they did not give a full effort, then losing the team last year, but I do not see Jim Leyland letting that happen, he is the exact type of manager the Tigers have needed since Sparky left, so I can honestly sit here and say that I see the Tigers in a pennant race all year long, if the players stay healthy!!!!
  • Options
    The tigers (and reds, too) are great stories.

But where's the national media to show the rest of the nation how talented they are? Why does it seem we don't get to hear how great these stories are on a national level?

Then MLB wonders why the ratings are in the toliet for the playoffs and world series when it's not a big media market represented.

• Options

<< <i>The tigers (and reds, too) are great stories.

But where's the national media to show the rest of the nation how talented they are? Why does it seem we don't get to hear how great these stories are on a national level?

Then MLB wonders why the ratings are in the toliet for the playoffs and world series when it's not a big media market represented. >>

Probably because you are watching ESPN to find out what the Yankees are doing...if they are doing bad, you are jumping up and down in your basement in your tinkerbell underoos...if they are doing good, you are throwing a tantrum...so with all of that going on, you are missing what they are saying about the Tigers and Reds. The only reason you know they are a good story is because you have it read to you the next day or look at the standings. Cuz we all know that the Mariners are last in their division and will likely stay there.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>The tigers (and reds, too) are great stories.

Then MLB wonders why the ratings are in the toliet for the playoffs and world series when it's not a big media market represented. >>

I dont know what you have been watching, but there certainly is a HUGE amount of coverage on the Tigers and Reds where I live in NY. I can only be happy to hear it too, since my baseball world doesnt revolve around all things Yankees as some may think. I consider it great for the game to have teams from good baseball towns doing well, and hope they both keep it up.

Side note about the Reds....went to my first game in Cincy a few weeks ago, and I was very impressed with the ballpark. Great atmosphere all around, super for the kids, just a real fun place to be. i wish the team in the bronx would remember that the game is about the fans, and children in particular, and not just the next big corporate luxury box.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>
    Probably because you are watching ESPN to find out what the Yankees are doing...if they are doing bad, you are jumping up and down in your basement in your tinkerbell underoos...if they are doing good, you are throwing a tantrum...so with all of that going on, you are missing what they are saying about the Tigers and Reds. The only reason you know they are a good story is because you have it read to you the next day or look at the standings. Cuz we all know that the Mariners are last in their division and will likely stay there. >>

Ooh the 'in the basement' joke. How many times, ya dope, do you have to be told that (a) I own my own home and (b) we don't have basements here in california? And tinkerbell underoos? Really, that's the best 'insult' you could come up with?

The tigers and reds, even though they are infinitely better stories for baseball, still aren't getting the national press they deserve.

The Mariners may be last in their division, but they are only 4 out...and, as you yankee fans have been so quick to pounce on when your pathetic pitching staff is called into question, 'it's only may!'

• Options
    Oh, Axhole stop your whining about my digs on you. There must be some ioda of truth to them if you have to defend yourself to them! image
    It's hard to pounce on the Mariners because they all SUCK!
    Edited to say that they also have a losing record...so 4 games out is making them competative? LOL
  • Options
    Well, I see more Reds talk over the Tigers, but Yankee talk outweighs the talk 10 to 1 compared to the D and C, not every game in Detroit is televised, so often I try to catch the highlights of the game on ESPN, and I often have to wait until the last 5 minutes of the show to see anything, if I can make it that far through the boring Bonds and Yankee talk. The Tigers and Reds are great stories this year, just like Chris Shelton was early in the season too. On another thread a couple hours ago from now, someone even said something to the degree of, "where has Shelton been lately," to me, because I am a Tigers fan sick of the ubiquitous Yankee talk, and I am encouraged about the Tigers. He is a great story, someone the Pirates gave up on, ESPN blew him up as if he will hit .400 and hit 100 HRs, but he is going to be one of those great professional hitters for his career, I see similarities with him and Kirby Puckett. He may not get as high in the batting average department, but I personally will not be surprised, before it is all said and done, if Shelton wins a batting title or two, should he stay healthy for his career. Another great story is Mike Maroth, it was a great story a couple years ago, he pitched in the 20th loss of the season, like the day after his grandmother passed away, but he now has a respectable record and ERA this year, and if he keeps that up, I think that would be something necessary to report. Mike Maroth has been nothing but class for his short career, win or lose. If one who is not a Yankee fan, speaks in a negative light about the Yankees, fans of the Yankees get so defensive and take cheap shots at one's intellect, same things people do in elementary school. It is great to see two OLD teams, like the Reds and Tigers, two of baseball's original teams, playing well, when they were useless teams over the past decade+. Regardless of whether they keep it up or not, it is still positive news, people do get sick of hearing the same thing, day in and day out, on the same team or player, everyday during and after the season. To you Yankee fans, there ARE other teams outside of New York, just want to let you guys know in case you have forgotten, nobody cares how many championships they won 10 years ago, perhaps I should just keep talking about my Red Wings and bore everyone shltless!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I see more Reds talk over the Tigers, but Yankee talk outweighs the talk 10 to 1 compared to the D and C, not every game in Detroit is televised, so often I try to catch the highlights of the game on ESPN, and I often have to wait until the last 5 minutes of the show to see anything, if I can make it that far through the boring Bonds and Yankee talk. The Tigers and Reds are great stories this year, just like Chris Shelton was early in the season too. On another thread a couple hours ago from now, someone even said something to the degree of, "where has Shelton been lately," to me, because I am a Tigers fan sick of the ubiquitous Yankee talk, and I am encouraged about the Tigers. He is a great story, someone the Pirates gave up on, ESPN blew him up as if he will hit .400 and hit 100 HRs, but he is going to be one of those great professional hitters for his career, I see similarities with him and Kirby Puckett. He may not get as high in the batting average department, but I personally will not be surprised, before it is all said and done, if Shelton wins a batting title or two, should he stay healthy for his career. Another great story is Mike Maroth, it was a great story a couple years ago, he pitched in the 20th loss of the season, like the day after his grandmother passed away, but he now has a respectable record and ERA this year, and if he keeps that up, I think that would be something necessary to report. Mike Maroth has been nothing but class for his short career, win or lose. If one who is not a Yankee fan, speaks in a negative light about the Yankees, fans of the Yankees get so defensive and take cheap shots at one's intellect, same things people do in elementary school. It is great to see two OLD teams, like the Reds and Tigers, two of baseball's original teams, playing well, when they were useless teams over the past decade+. Regardless of whether they keep it up or not, it is still positive news, people do get sick of hearing the same thing, day in and day out, on the same team or player, everyday during and after the season. To you Yankee fans, there ARE other teams outside of New York, just want to let you guys know in case you have forgotten, nobody cares how many championships they won 10 years ago, perhaps I should just keep talking about my Red Wings and bore everyone shltless!!! >>

Another stupid comment. We know there are teams outside of NY...we do more talking about them than you guys do. You spend more than half your time talking about the yankees. You confuse what ESPN does and says with what Yankee fans do and feel. The two arent mutually exclusive. Most of us here are very excited and happy to see the Tigers doing well, despite what you would have us believe is fact.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    If any Yankee fan is happy about the success of the Tigers, it is because you probably think, should the Tigers go to the playoffs, and the Yankees go to the playoffs, you would have an easy time going to the Series, as if the Tigers will roll over and play dead.

On ESPN, and in here, I see things have to be all about anything New York, or it is so wrong, and if a "Yankee hater" points out flaws to the greatness of every Yankee, then they are labeled as such. People say Mariano Rivera is a Hall of Famer, because of his career, Trevor Hoffman has had the same success for the same span, but he is not even on anyone's mind. I saw a thread about Mike Mussina and the Hall of Fame, and I tossed out Jack Morris' name, and people overanalyze his career stats as to why he does not belong in the Hall, yet, if he was a Yankee, he would have been a first ballot election, hell, same thing with Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker, even more hell, if Trammell and Whitaker were Yankees, voters would have gotten together to make sure they both went into the hall together, since Trammell played a couple years longer. Thing is with Morris, it was ONE stat, an ERA, that can vary greatly year by year or by team, that supposedly makes him just an over average non hall of fame pitcher. This thread was started, and some people just point out that Randy Johnson is not too Dandy, he surely has not dazzled me in a few years, probably once in the last 5 years when he had his perfect game. Bernie Williams tossed a helmet at an ump, did not hit him, but still did it, and people still act as if he is full of class. The Yankees are last century's news, hell, they could not hold off Boston when they had a 3-1 lead in the series a couple years ago. They could not even take out Arizona in 2001, when the whole world was pulling for them to do just that. What is next on these boards, a thread pertaining to how Jorge Posada is a HOFer, and is the class of the catcher crop, and that he has had a better overall career than Ivan Rodriguez? I heard a few years back, that Bernie Williams is a definite HOFer, but Griffey Jr. had to hit 500 HRs to cement his status in, although Griffey was the best player in the 90s.

Fact is, in the news, on t.v., online, everywhere, where baseball is concerned, it has to be about the Yankees, or something New York related, and people in other areas and markets, can really care less. The only thing Yankee related I want, is a '52 Mantle, that is it, nothing more. And I will add, Bonds is hated, Sheffield and Giambi are adored, all are suspect, and I bet if Bonds were a Yankee, his suspect past would be swept under the rug. This is not myself being a Yankee hater, this is myself telling it like it is, most people cannot deal with people who tell it like it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>If any Yankee fan is happy about the success of the Tigers, it is because you probably think, should the Tigers go to the playoffs, and the Yankees go to the playoffs, you would have an easy time going to the Series, as if the Tigers will roll over and play dead. >>

Wrong.............wrong.......WRONG.

Someone from NY cant wish the Tigers well ???? Now I know you are one of the single most ignorant people on here or anywhere. Keep making your stupid A$$ assumptions, you are just making yourself sound more and more foolish. I was completely sincere wishing the Tigers well this year, and I am genuinly happy to see them do well, but of course in your blinded, NY hating mind it is too difficult for you to accept that. Just shows what a jerk you are.

And I love when fools like you claim you are just telling it like it is.........just because YOU say something doesnt mean THAT IS HOW IT IS. You are expressing your opinion, which you have a right to, but dont for one second fool yourself into thinking that just because you say it, thats how it is. Again, just another thing that proves how ignorant you are.

Keep making up more stories about how you heard certain Yankees were called hall of famers. You and Axhole should get together so you can both share your facts........or should I say misguided opinions and outright lies. It amazes me how people like you can have so much hatred for a city or team that you are completely blinded from fact and reality.

Your little icon suites you perfect......most of what you say belongs in that toilet.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If any Yankee fan is happy about the success of the Tigers, it is because you probably think, should the Tigers go to the playoffs, and the Yankees go to the playoffs, you would have an easy time going to the Series, as if the Tigers will roll over and play dead. >>

Someone from NY cant wish the Tigers well ???? Now I know you are one of the single most ignorant people on here or anywhere. Keep making your stupid A$$ assumptions, you are just making yourself sound more and more foolish. I was completely sincere wishing the Tigers well this year, and I am genuinly happy to see them do well, but of course in your blinded, NY hating mind it is too difficult for you to accept that. Just shows what a jerk you are.

And I love when fools like you claim you are just telling it like it is.........just because YOU say something doesnt mean THAT IS HOW IT IS. You are expressing your opinion, which you have a right to, but dont for one second fool yourself into thinking that just because you say it, thats how it is. Again, just another thing that proves how ignorant you are.

Keep making up more stories about how you heard certain Yankees were called hall of famers. You and Axhole should get together so you can both share your facts........or should I say misguided opinions and outright lies. It amazes me how people like you can have so much hatred for a city or team that you are completely blinded from fact and reality.

Your little icon suites you perfect......most of what you say belongs in that toilet. >>

Wow, as I said before, a Yankee fan's name calling and questioning of one's intellect. I do not have hatred for the state of NY, nor utter hatred for the Yankees, but baseball does NOT revolved around NY, the Yankees, and the Mets!!! I do not hate the Babe, Mantle, DiMaggio, or Maris, but with the exception of A-Rod, most current Yankees are overrated or way past their prime. And when I say that I heard about certain Yankees were called HOFers, I have, not necessarily here, but during All-Star games, World Serie games, playoffs, etc etc etc!!!
  • Options
    Ctsox fan to axholes rescue!

I agree the 2 homers that Giami hit were tainted too. Where do I want it both ways? I never said that they were not tainted.

My point in which you as usual took out of context was simply that the 01 mariners ( the 01 mariners that axhole proclaimed beat the yanks in the div series) record or 116 reg season wins is TAINTED.

As is the 03 2 homer game of Giambi.

Please show me where I said it was not tainted?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    If any Yankee fan is happy about the success of the Tigers, it is because you probably think, should the Tigers go to the playoffs, and the Yankees go to the playoffs, you would have an easy time going to the Series, as if the Tigers will roll over and play dead.

Oh God

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Your little icon suites you perfect......most of what you say belongs in that toilet. >>

Wow, as I said before, a Yankee fan's name calling and questioning of one's intellect. I do not have hatred for the state of NY, nor utter hatred for the Yankees, but baseball does NOT revolved around NY, the Yankees, and the Mets!!! I do not hate the Babe, Mantle, DiMaggio, or Maris, but with the exception of A-Rod, most current Yankees are overrated or way past their prime. And when I say that I heard about certain Yankees were called HOFers, I have, not necessarily here, but during All-Star games, World Serie games, playoffs, etc etc etc!!! >>

I am bashing your intellect with just cause. You are coming on here with nothing but hatred. No facts, no basis for anything you say at all other than everything NY sucks, everything NY is bad. Everything Detroit is great. NY has no class, etc, etc, etc. An ignorant person makes generalizations, and ALL YOU have done is make nasty generalizations as to how bad NY is and how great Detroit is. So YES, I am bashing your intellect, or lack there of.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Hmmmm....is Hardcorehockeyfan the alt id of Axhole???? Im beginning to think so....
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    << The tigers (and reds, too) are great stories.

But where's the national media to show the rest of the nation how talented they are? Why does it seem we don't get to hear how great these stories are on a national level? >>

The Reds do not even get fans to their own games so why should the media care? I watched the Phils play there this weekend, and the place was not even close to being half full. I thought that was a baseball town?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    and getting back to the title of this thread, the operative word is "was" .... not anymore.

He's cooked. He does not need to improve his "mechanics", as I have heard Yankee fans state. "Oh, he'll be fine, he will rebound" ... nah.

He's old. It really, truly is that simple. This will be the year that the Yankees and the Braves finally miss a post season.
  • Options
    Since somebody actually turned this back to the original topic I will go ahead and say that I think Johnson is done too. This isnt a case of mechanics or any of the other excuses he is throwing around. It is a simple case of a guy getting old. He relied on pure power his whole career without learning how to be a pitcher. He cant blow people away like he used to and it isnt coming back, certainly not at 42. I just hope either the other guys pick up his slack, or the team continues to score 12 runs a game for him. Honestly, I love the Yankees, but any fan who doesnt see that Johnson is losing it is just in denial.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    As an Expos fan I loved this guy when he started there (worst trade in Expos history, we got Langston for what, 3 months?). I even followed him very closely when he went to Seattle and got to see him in person pitch for the Diamondbacks in Montreal. This guy is probably the closest we'll ever come to seeing a left-hander pitch like Koufax (unless you count Carlton), but him hanging around like this getting his arse handed to him every start is really sad to see. I realize there is alot of money at stake, but he is simply a shell of his former self and it's hard to watch. I'm no Yankees fan, but I still like to see Randy do well, unfortunately he's not going to get any better. Hang em up Randy, you're not going to catch Nolan in the K department (maybe he thinks about this?) and you're making people forget about how unhittable you were just a few seasons ago.
    Jay
  • Options
    Well, Johnson has lost 6 mph off his fastball. Do we wait for warmer weather? Sometimes the guy looks so dominant but more often than not he isnt hitting his spots and he is getting hit hard. Even Johnson admits that it's not mechanics. Also, with the loss of velocity, his is in the AL, in a tougher division, and if he wants to be successful must learn how to pitch and not overpower. His slider is still second to none...but he cant live on the slider.
    I think there is a better chance he will come back strong than him going like this throughout the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738

Randy Johnson (who is done) - 5-4, 5.13 ERA - 52 IPs, 36 K's
    Felix Hernandez (the rising phenom) - 2-5, 5.19 ERA = 43 IPs, 47 K's

Comments?
  • Options
    Comments?

The Yankees would trade him for Felix in a NY minute ....
  • Options

<< <i>Comments?

The Yankees would trade him for Felix in a NY minute .... >>

But, the Mariners would laugh at such an offer.
  • Options

<< <i>Please show me where I said it was not tainted? >>

WP - not saying you said anything. But, you can't run for the steroid excuse in this type of discussion, and not expect some other, more obvious examples, to be brought to the table.