Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Isn't it time to let this five-year-old thread just ... die?

Comments

• Options
    Oh man it is the same damn coin. And look at those lines -- if you want bigger pics, I can post them. Totally busted, liars.

Ebay auction pictures:

POS coin in-hand -- I can confirm these pictures were emailed to me by Mirabela:

Rim ding:

Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    Hard to explain this situaution. Seller did not get 100% feedback by accident and you have strong feedback. It seems you had good case for refund and could never have seen this situation coming.
    98PANDA.98panda
  • Options
    Tell us again those two coins are not one and the same. Go for broke, geniuses.

• Options

<< <i>Oh man it is the same damn coin. And look at those lines -- if you want bigger pics, I can post them. Totally busted, liars.

Ebay auction pictures:

POS coin in-hand -- I can confirm these pictures were emailed to me by Mirabela:

Rim ding:

image >>

I said I was going to drop the image references but this is too obvious.
    The very scratches you highlight by the arm are not present in the image from eBay, I blew the image up to my entire desktop and they are simply not there. The scans submitted by you from mirabela are definitely of a poor quality coin. But they are differ greatly from the eBay image. Perhaps, the scratches got there during or after removing the coin from its original holder. I can't say but it is obvious the newer scans are of a coin that is no longer the quality of the ones in the eBay scan.
    Member Steamfitters Local 614
    USMC Veteran 1981-1992
    Cold War Veteran

It's truly funny, no make that truly sad, that people in this day and age are so wrapped up in their own little world that they refuse to try and teach someone else the correct or accepted way of doing things.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are unquestionably the same coin. The rim ding at 9:00 on the obverse and the crud in the peripheral aspect of the star adjacent to the rim ding nail it. The scratches and hairlines can be easily buffed out with photoshop.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, as for that it's original holder was a 2"x4" sealed manila envelope with a staple through it. Was I supposed to examine the coin while it was still inside? Yes, I carefully removed the staple before opening it! In any event, this is the coin in the exact condition in which it arrived to me. In the end, it will be up to the folks at PayPal or ANA to decide.
    mirabela
  • Options
    I can't say but it is obvious the newer scans are of a coin that is no longer the quality of the ones in the eBay scan.

Of course you would say this. Those coins are a match. The rim ding is present. The grime in the star next to the ding is there. The darkened field next to the eagle's head on the reverse is exactly the same. And the toning matches perfectly.

But they are differ greatly from the eBay image.

A blatant lie.

• Options

<< <i>They are unquestionably the same coin. The rim ding at 9:00 on the obverse and the crud in the peripheral aspect of the star adjacent to the rim ding nail it. The scratches and hairlines can be easily buffed out with photoshop. >>

True, but Photoshop and any other photo editor that could be used for buffing would be easily seen by the fuzzy effect it would leave around the area. None of these images appear to have been altered other than the zoom which really isn't altering.
    USMC Veteran 1981-1992
    Cold War Veteran

It's truly funny, no make that truly sad, that people in this day and age are so wrapped up in their own little world that they refuse to try and teach someone else the correct or accepted way of doing things.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Catfish did send me an email, and he is coming out of Bellsouth territory. My original suspicion remains that he is a buddy of Poe's. To try to claim those are not the same coin is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Just send the damn coin to me and I'll gratefully take it, free of charge.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, as for that it's original holder was a 2"x4" sealed manila envelope with a staple through it. Was I supposed to examine the coin while it was still inside? Yes, I carefully removed the staple before opening it! In any event, this is the coin in the exact condition in which it arrived to me. In the end, it will be up to the folks at PayPal or ANA to decide. >>

Frankly, I believe you now. Shipping in a manilla envelope and USPS handling could have put those scratches there.

I do feel that perhaps your emotions surfaced way too quickly. Poe's too probably. I don't believe Poe intentionally tried to scam you but both of you have behaved poorly towards one another. I think you should both kiss and make up.
    USMC Veteran 1981-1992
    Cold War Veteran

• Options
    Well, Dominus, if by some crazy fluke I don't get my refund at the end of all this mishegoss, there will be a lousy seated quarter for sale really cheap up on the BST board. I'll PM you if it comes to that. But don't hold your breath.
    mirabela
  • Options

<< <i>Catfish did send me an email, and he is coming out of Bellsouth territory. My original suspicion remains that he is a buddy of Poe's. To try to claim those are not the same coin is ridiculous. >>

If mirabela can have buddies, why can't Poe?
    USMC Veteran 1981-1992
    Cold War Veteran

• Options
    There is a big difference. We didn't all sign up here on the same day like you and Poe did.
  • Options

<< <i>There is a big difference. We didn't all sign up here on the same day like you and Poe did. >>

Fine, but this is ONE transaction out of 337 and everyone is set to crucify him. Bottom line neither of the parties acted in a generally acceptable manner. If your gonna blacklist poe for this one transaction mirabela aka banjospitnwhittle should be also both have behaved contrary to policies of their claimed organzational ties.

And you have failed to provide proof of you possibly false claim to have been sent a virus.
    USMC Veteran 1981-1992
    Cold War Veteran

• Options
    We didn't all sign up here on the same day like you and Poe did.

Or commit fraud, then try to defend it with lies, lies so blatant all can see right through them.

Fine, but this is ONE transaction out of 337 and everyone is set to crucify him. Bottom line neither of the parties acted in a generally acceptable manner.

Yeah, well I thought they weren't the same coin? What a disgrace.

• Options
    Hey Matt

You might as well go ahead and ship it to him, because your cliam is a joke. I'll even bet you the cost of shipping it to him! But then you would screw that up too! You must be lonely. Why don't you go ahead and ship it to him before you scratch it up even more? Well I don't have time to stay and play your little game.
    Night all!
    Joe
  • Options

<< <i>We didn't all sign up here on the same day like you and Poe did.

Or commit fraud, then try to defend it with lies, lies so blatant all can see right through them. >>

You have not provided anything sunstantial to this thread. Nothing Nada ZIP. You have merely engaged in trolling.
    USMC Veteran 1981-1992
    Cold War Veteran

• Options
    Catfish, I've got to hand it to you. You've worked much harder to defend the guy than he did himself. And I think it's fair that you didn't just jump on the band wagon and assume anything here. But do you see my point now? That coin has been cleaned as harshly as any I've ever seen. It is not in mint state by any stretch of the imagination, and further the shipping alone did not reduce it to this condition. Do you see the hairlining across the fields *everywhere*?

The unusually large size of the font of the emails Poe sent me, as well as his assertion "there is no rim nick" when one was clearly present in his own photos with the listing, have made me wonder if maybe Poe has poor vision. Could it be Poe truly did not know this coin was in this bad a way? I will truly never know. Nevertheless, the facts are clear: he sold me this coin you see here. It hit the mail considerably after I asked to have it insured. It is in terrible condition; I am betting ANACS calls it Net VF30. It was grossly misrepresented. He has made some terrible accusations regarding my motives & actions, as I must point out you have also, Catfish. He refuses me a refund for this coin, in fact when last we heard from him he claims this is not the coin he sold me. Proceedings are underway through the proper channels for having all of this objectively evaluated, and some sort of finding will or won't come out of it, and it isn't in any of our hands. Then there's the viral email weirdness, and I guess those who are good at that sort of forensics will have their chance to unravel that as well.

Now, for something completely different: today I received in the mail an absolutely gorgeous no-motto Seated half from ebayer "kaprover." He was great. Go check him out -- he's selling what looks like a small array of really good stuff, i.e. last week some high-AU seated stuff, a 96-O morgan in MS63 (can't remember NGC or PCGS, I'm too poor for that stuff so I didn't really look too hard), etc. Fast shipping, great packaging, and topnotch material in the first place.
    mirabela
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two things in this transaction of which I am 100% sure:

1. The coin in the ebay ad and the coin that mirabela scanned are the same.
    2. Poe is not Catfish.

Everything else is up for grabs, as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    Wow! 167+ posts. I thought it died earlier today.

single ding referenced doesn't prove "without a doubt" that it is the same coin as the ding in the 1200 dpi scan looks different and could have been done with a jewelers screwdriver.

Why would anyone go to all that trouble? It's the same coin. The ding is there on the reverse also below the D in dollar.

he's accused Poe58 of sending a virus without offering proof and all of these are tactics used by buyers who scam.

Claiming the buyer switched the item is also a tactic used by sellers who scam.

I just don't see how you can jump to the conclusion that the buyer is going to scam you by requesting insurance exactly at the rate stated in the auction.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    You have not provided anything sunstantial to this thread. Nothing Nada ZIP. You have merely engaged in trolling.

Which is why you rushed here to defend "poe58," right? The pictures are damning evidence; your lies simply cannot refute them. I am done with you.

• Options

<< <i>There are two things in this transaction of which I am 100% sure:

1. The coin in the ebay ad and the coin that mirabela scanned are the same.
    2. Poe is not Catfish.

Everything else is up for grabs, as far as I am concerned. >>

You missed...

3. Poe58 does not stand behind what he sells.
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey Matt

You might as well go ahead and ship it to him, because your cliam is a joke. I'll even bet you the cost of shipping it to him! But then you would screw that up too! You must be lonely. Why don't you go ahead and ship it to him before you scratch it up even more? Well I don't have time to stay and play your little game.
    Night all!
    Joe >>

Poe,

The TONE of your arguments have digressed from rational (in the beginning) to weak name-calling and insults - the tell-tale sign of someone who has lost a dispute based on the facts.

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    double post
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Matt

Night all!
    Joe >>

So much for the kiss and make up.... Guys, Y'all have fun, I'm out. Can't help a guy that won't help himself. I'll know how this comes out as I have Poe in my Yahoo.

Feel free to email me any of you that enjoy intelligent correspondance.
    catfish172@elvis.com
    USMC Veteran 1981-1992
    Cold War Veteran

• Options

<< <i>Well, Dominus, if by some crazy fluke I don't get my refund at the end of all this mishegoss, there will be a lousy seated quarter for sale really cheap up on the BST board. I'll PM you if it comes to that. But don't hold your breath. >>

Well, if you decide to sell it for about 5 bucks, lemme know! (Wel, you did say really cheap...)

*breathes*
  • Options
    Ok here you go!
    I do not defend myself here because I have nothing to defend. I acted in good faith! I am just waiting for the people that matter to finish their work! When they do, I will gladly post the results here or where ever you all wish! I am not interested in hearing Matt’s buddy’s antagonistic remarks. I have noticed that there are a few people here because they want to make an honest difference in the system. To them one and all, I thank you! For my part I am happy to wait for the verdict from the people who matter!

Once again good night all!
    Joe
  • Options
    "Once again good night all!
    Joe"

Good night Joe. I hope you can sleep well.
  • Options
    I'm really interested to know why you felt he was going to scam you when he asked for insurance at your stated rate? It's the part I just don't get. I am also curious how you can say there was no rim ding when it's clearly in the auction photo.

• Options

<< <i>I'm really interested to know why you felt he was going to scam you when he asked for insurance at your stated rate? It's the part I just don't get. I am also curious how you can say there was no rim ding when it's clearly in the auction photo. >>

That's easy. He lists the coins with no insurance offered, so when the buyers pay, he tells them he shipped the coins already and then uses that as an excuse not to accept returns. Insurance has nothing to do with it. He offers a "return privilege" to rope in unsuspecting buyers. He probably knows he wouldn't get very strong bids if he listed them honestly, i.e., without a return privilege.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Poe, if this coin was the only real bad one among the 300+ ebay deals so far, then why are your current offerings of similar coins also cleaned and misdiscribed? Seems like your 1 for 300 is soon going to be 10 for 310 and on its way up to the moon.

Poe's full luster and full head UNC 1927 quarter for $200+
    This might be worth $75 if your lucky.

There's a 1929 SLQ just after this one that is just as cleaned. It appears that Poe cannot resist a cleaned silver coin.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
  • Options
    What's this crap about ebay knowing how to delete "attacks on feedbacks?" If someone sells scrubbed coins, they should expect neg feedback. I'm sure ebay has time to deal with this $170 coin just like the FBI and FTC have time to deal with the hundred thousand plus scams that occur on ebay each year. The amount of schemers far exceeds the ability of the authorities to monitor. Hence guys like Poe have a clean path to operate in.

roadrunner
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Poe's full luster and full head UNC 1927 quarter for $200+
    This might be worth $75 if your lucky. >>

A mug of flat beer has more of a "full head" than this SLQ.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's this crap about ebay knowing how to delete "attacks on feedbacks?" If someone sells scrubbed coins, they should expect neg feedback. I'm sure ebay has time to deal with this $170 coin just like the FBI and FTC have time to deal with the hundred thousand plus scams that occur on ebay each year. The amount of schemers far exceeds the ability of the authorities to monitor.

roadrunner >>

Uh oh, ya think ebay might launch a massive lawsuit against hundreds of thousands and potentially millions of collectors/coin buyers etc for saying "bad things" about them?

I can see the headlines now. "Majorbigtime" lawsuit filed"image

Tomimage
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey Poe, if this coin was the only real bad one among the 300+ ebay deals so far, then why are your current offerings of similar coins also cleaned and misdiscribed? Seems like your 1 for 300 is soon going to be 10 for 310 and on its way up to the moon.

Poe's full luster and full head UNC 1927 quarter for $200+
    This might be worth $75 if your lucky.

There's a 1929 SLQ just after this one that is just as cleaned. It appears that Poe cannot resist a cleaned silver coin.

roadrunner >>

Here's the 1929

Is that PVC City Central, or just bad lighting?

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Great thread! It's a two for one idiot special! image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    This thread is why I don't watch TV anymore image
    Bill
  • Options
    I understand. A family friend is in from across the country. She doesn't collect coins nor as far as I can tell does she care about them, yet she stayed up past midnight watching this unfold. Furthermore, she checked it with her tea this morning to see if anything had happened overnight. Upon returning to the house after a morning canoeing down the Passumpsic, she needed to check it again. She's hooked, and asserts just now that she's had "more than $170 worth of entertainment." "Hooray," she adds, "for cleaned coins."
    mirabela
  • Options
    Tonight's Menu..

Fried "catfish"

Fried "Poe"tatoes

And, maybe a "Major big time" salad.

Anyone hungry???image
  • Options

<< <i>Tonight's Menu..

Fried "catfish"

Fried "Poe"tatoes

Anyone hungry???image >>

That is a favorite menu around these parts. Actually I was a Bass fisherman when I got tagged with the "Catfish" nickname. I kept bringing in cats on my artificials.
    USMC Veteran 1981-1992
    Cold War Veteran

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Nahhh, "major big time" is busy negotiating a multi billion dollar BIG time settlement. ( in his dreams after watching it on televisi He's a big shot you know.image

TP #201
  • Options
    A very long thread--worthy of being snipped off!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    But I haven't received an answer to my question form the seller yet!

• Options
    I too would agree it's time to put this one to rest -- for the time being. I believe, however, the thread should continue to exist and stay open until the situation is resolved somehow. Don't worry, I'll resurrect it from the 88th page back to let you know what PayPal, ANA, etc. have to say about all this. Secondly, even if it doesn't last that long, it is taking a really long time to save the whole thing to MS Word because it's such a big, big file -- so it has to get left alone at least for a little while! This will, however, be my last post on this topic until something substantive happens, as I believe all the cards are on the table at this point.

Matt
    mirabela
  • Options
    ===
    when judgement day comes..
  • Options
    I'd still like to know why most or all of Poe's silver type coins have wonderful descriptions even though they are cleaned? And how about the flat head SLQ listed as Full Head? I think there is a pattern here and old Poe has a lot of explaining to do beyond Mirabella's seated quarter. The whole thing here smells.

roadrunner
  • Options

<< <i>Well, let's hope. I've already got the worst of what's coming to me -- as you correctly point out, I left myself open to getting screwed and I got screwed. It was coming to me, and I got it. Hopefully the supposed protections those stupid fees buy us will come to something. With luck, I'll get that too. >>

Bottom line is, the coin is no good and poe58 knows it, and that's why he doesn't want it back. He can sign up any number of brand new "members" to go to bat for him (will they all spell as poorly as he does?) but a scam is a scam is a scam, and now at least a few hundred more people know about this one. 'Nuff said. I spent the day canoeing and not thinking about this, and I felt frankly better that way. Goodnight. I'll begin legal proceedings in the morning.

Phew, all I can do is to quote our ex-Pres Clinton and say "I feel your pain!".

I guess I'm not the only Ebay victim that gets slammed on these boards. I believe you were screwed, as I was. Both auctions had telltale signs that the sellers knew they were setting a trap. Yeah, we foolishly bit the bait. That doesn't mean we have to swallow the hook, line and sinker and accept that we are up the creek without a paddle.

I was a better target, as folks got into a lawyer-bashing frenzy. I fought fire with fire and told a few of then to engage in egg sucking, which only added fuel to the fire and created an inferno with many flames! I've been called an A-hole several times. There's surely a bunch of 'em here IMO. Heck, if A-holes could fly, this place would be an airport!! That's not to say that there are not many good folks who offer constructive comments and guidance, there are.

A legion of folks will explain how you, the screwee, screwed-up. They point out all the warning signs in the auction, and say you should have known better. Lots of armchair quarterbacks here, to be sure. They have many valid points, but it's after the fact and of little help to you now.

Many say just suck it up, take a screwing and get on with life. That's Ok if you're so inclined, but I'm not. In essence, the bad guy wins.

Many defend the sellers, carrying caveat emptor to an illogical extreme. In my case, many said the words "as is" completely adsolved the seller. Wrong. Such a term doesn't mean that the seller is free to recourse for misrepresentations. To the contrary, a buyer is even more likely to rely on representations of grade, quality and condition under such circumstances. Sorry, but I digress.

You may have decided to post to get helpful hints or moral support (I really just wanted to stir it up, and provide some free entertainment), and end up on the defensive and under attack. It seems as if there's a pack of wolves out there, awaiting fresh meat! Boy oh boy, you sure can learn afout folks by reading their responses. No surprise that many of the same folks bashed both of us. To quote my infamous retort, "who cares"?

I encourage you to exert your legal rights, and pursue this with vigor. It's not the dollars involved, it's a matter of principle. Don't think of it as a miserable experience to get behind you, look upon it as an opportunity to exert your rights!

Don't expect any recourse from Ebay or PayPal (one in the same), there so-called buyer protections are not worth diddly squat (been there, done that). I wouldn't even waist any time trying, you will simply be frustrated with a bunch of complex forms and canned responses, If you litigate, recognize that you may not prevail, but at least you will have your day in court. The offender will have to go through the burdens and costs of defending the claim, a bit of punishment in and of itself. The seller made you miserable, and it's payback time. You may not get justice, but you'll get even!

There are several ways to proceed short of litigation. File a mail fraud claim with the USPS for starters. Notify the local police in the seller's backyard. File claims with the federal agencies, including the FBI and the FTC consumer fraud division. Be creative, and leave no stone unturned. Litigation probably is the best means of seeking redress, but it's time-consuming and costly if you don't have a legal background. You may be able to utilize the local court's small claims procedure if it permits service out of state under a long arm statute.

You can be a woos, suck it up and go on with life. Undoubtedly this is the best route for most. But if you have the Moxie to assert your rights, win or lose, go for it!!
This discussion has been closed.