Home Sports Talk
Options

Aaron Rodgers to the Jets?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:
    I love this video, Colin Cowherd breaks down how Aaron Rodgers has become Brett Favre.

He learned it from Favre

Yes, and after he retires he'll become the spokesman for Copper Fit, just like Brett Favre.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is so juicy!!!> @doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:
    I love this video, Colin Cowherd breaks down how Aaron Rodgers has become Brett Favre.

He learned it from Favre

Yes, and after he retires he'll become the spokesman for Copper Fit, just like Brett Favre.

You forget that Aaron Rodgers is fancy though. When he becomes Copper Fits new spokesman, he will probably have them rename it to gold fit or platinum fit or diamond fit.

He wont be able to make up his mind, though, until he spends 4 days in complete darkness.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good, I hope they sign Stafford and nobody shows any interest in Rodgers, it's getting to the point that nobody will want to deal.with him and his act

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Good, I hope they sign Stafford and nobody shows any interest in Rodgers, it's getting to the point that nobody will want to deal.with him and his act

The hilarious part is he's still due 180+M over the next four seasons where close to all of it is guaranteed money lol. For a guy ,who's won 2 out of the last 3 NFL MVP awards this has to be the worst contract situation in NFL history,imo,and you really can't feel bad for GB when they put themselves in this situation.

• Options

The waiting game continues.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2023 3:21PM

@doubledragon said:

Who comes in fourth?

~askin for a friend

Edited for spelling

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would think GB would like to dump that salary. Get a first rounder in addition to moving on with a younger QB.

Their front office has never been the brightest bulb.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    You would think GB would like to dump that salary. Get a first rounder in addition to moving on with a younger QB.

Their front office has never been the brightest bulb.

The problem is Jordan Love is their backup which they overdrafted. Hes just not very good. He wasnt very good in college either playing in the Mountain West. They seemed to panic and felt they just had to take a QB that year. If you arent very good in the Mountain West you probably arent going to do much if anything in the NFL as a QB

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Who comes in fourth?

~askin for a friend

Edited for spelling

The Dolphins. ;)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Well Mayfield to the Bucs, IF Stafford goes to the Jets then LA to go after Rodgers????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    @perkdog said:

Well Mayfield to the Bucs, IF Stafford goes to the Jets then LA to go after Rodgers????

Rams are in tank mode trading everyone away. Wouldnt make any sense for them to go after Rodgers

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    This is unbelievable, I just found out that Aaron Rodgers will be a featured guest in a psychedelic science conference in June called "Psychedelic Science 2023", it is dubbed "the largest psychedelic gathering in history." Get off the mushrooms and focus on football man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lD5bfqzr6E

Aye aye aye

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Who comes in fourth?

~askin for a friend

Edited for spelling

The Dolphins. ;)

Yes, with old Tom Brady at the helm, the Dolphins could be lower than the Jets with their antique quarterback. There were rumors that Brady might go to Miami, but I think he’s finally done this time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

NO!!! I want Mr. Rodgers to play in NY.

so badly.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@doubledragon said:
    This is unbelievable, I just found out that Aaron Rodgers will be a featured guest in a psychedelic science conference in June called "Psychedelic Science 2023", it is dubbed "the largest psychedelic gathering in history." Get off the mushrooms and focus on football man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lD5bfqzr6E

Aye aye aye

Ozzy! 🖒

• Options

@craig44 said:

so badly.

He might well play badly.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

so badly.

Realistically he couldnt really be any worse than what the Jets were running out at QB last year. Its amazing how many top 5 draft pick QBs that organization has ruined over the last 20 years. At some point they need to just stop drafting QBs and either trade for one or get one in free agency.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

so badly.

Realistically he couldnt really be any worse than what the Jets were running out at QB last year. Its amazing how many top 5 draft pick QBs that organization has ruined over the last 20 years. At some point they need to just stop drafting QBs and either trade for one or get one in free agency.

Even if Rodgers tried his best to be bad he couldn't be as bad as any of the Jets QBs last season

• Options

^^^^^ I agree with these statements. the Jets QB situation was pretty dire.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

so badly.

Could the Jets’ quarterback problems be due to poor coaching and an inability to pick decent receivers, running backs and offensive linemen? It’s hard to believe that you could draft the cream of college quarterbacks and have all of them fail.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@Basebal21 said:

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

so badly.

Could the Jets’ quarterback problems be due to poor coaching and an inability to pick decent receivers, running backs and offensive linemen? It’s hard to believe that you could draft the cream of college quarterbacks and have all of them fail.

Depends on which one you're talking about. Sanchez and Darnold the supporting players and the coaches definitely played a big role in ruining them, Wilson just very likely isnt that good as he played at BYU against subpar competition. Its pretty rare for a non power 5 QB to have success in the NFL. Allen from Wyoming and Carr from Fresno State are really the only two at the moment. Wyoming is a weird one too since they put a surprising number of players into the NFL. Wentz was like North Dakota State or something like that but his starting days seem to be over.

Theres definitely some organizational issue going on though. If for no other reason the Jets deserve significant blame for continually trying to start these guys immediately and then wonder how they ruined them. Right now though theyre really just missing a QB so some of the excuses of the past dont really apply for failure

• Options

I'm reading that the Jets interest in OBJ is "very real" and it has gone from flirtation to.......hot and heavy!

• Options

OBJ is probably not worth the trouble for what he can bring to the table at this point.

If I'm a GM I'm 100% against signing this clown

• Options

@perkdog said:
    OBJ is probably not worth the trouble for what he can bring to the table at this point.

If the Jets were to make the trade for Rodgers its going to be Rodgers call. Once you give up the picks for Rodgers you have to go all in on win now mode. If they end up with the same QBs as last year thats a different story

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

If the Jets were to make the trade for Rodgers its going to be Rodgers call. Once you give up the picks for Rodgers you have to go all in on win now mode. If they end up with the same QBs as last year thats a different story

Your right and that's part of what's wrong with the picture surrounding Rodgers.

Taking on his salary and losing draft picks to have this guys drive to be all on dependent on who he wants to throw to is nonsense.

It's also a good way for the current Jets WR's to NOT want to play with this guy

• Options
    edited March 23, 2023 3:33PM

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

Your right and that's part of what's wrong with the picture surrounding Rodgers.

Taking on his salary and losing draft picks to have this guys drive to be all on dependent on who he wants to throw to is nonsense.

It's also a good way for the current Jets WR's to NOT want to play with this guy

I dont really love the idea of trading for Rodgers if I was a team either. Unless the Packers lower the price you basically have to win a super bowl within 2 years for it to be worth it. Carr may not have had any interest but would have been a better option as a free agent. Now if they do win a SB with Rodgers it would be worth it but its now or never with the Packers asking price. I get why they're interested though as they do have a lot of the pieces besides a QB

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

I dont really love the idea of trading for Rodgers if I was a team either. Unless the Packers lower the price you basically have to win a super bowl within 2 years for it to be worth it. Carr may not have had any interest but would have been a better option as a free agent. Now if they do win a SB with Rodgers it would be worth it but its now or never with the Packers asking price. I get why they're interested though as they do have a lot of the pieces besides a QB

It's a gamble that favors the Jets but the longer the talks go and more Rodgers demands become part of it the less it favors the Jets overall.

Honestly at this point I'd be starting to get skeptical about giving up a ton for him, Stafford isn't really a great secondary choice though since he is not really good and kinda washed up

• Options

Arod would be an all in situation. It is similar to what the Bucs did with Tommy. in that situation it was well worth it.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Arod would be an all in situation. It is similar to what the Bucs did with Tommy. in that situation it was well worth it.

The big difference is Tom checked right in with the guys that were already there, he wasn't demanding to bring in a whole new WR corps.

Yes he obviously wanted Gronk but overall that team was ready

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

The big difference is Tom checked right in with the guys that were already there, he wasn't demanding to bring in a whole new WR corps.

Yes he obviously wanted Gronk but overall that team was ready

That is true. From all i have heard from Arians, Tommy was the leader that team needed from day one. There was a huge shift in locker room climate/demeanor that I dont think Mr. Rodgers will be able to bring to the table.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

At this point, I am amazed at how much ink we're giving this soap opera saga. Here's an NFL qb, who's playing everybody involved because of his incredible hubris. He's gonna play somewhere, 17 games, and make north of $2m PER GAME, half the time, in theory, he's on the sideline. I'm pretty much over this clown show, I don't care where he plays, and I will predict he will not have a season in 2023 worthy of the king's ransom he's gonna be paid.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    At this point, I am amazed at how much ink we're giving this soap opera saga. Here's an NFL qb, who's playing everybody involved because of his incredible hubris. He's gonna play somewhere, 17 games, and make north of $2m PER GAME, half the time, in theory, he's on the sideline. I'm pretty much over this clown show, I don't care where he plays, and I will predict he will not have a season in 2023 worthy of the king's ransom he's gonna be paid.

I'm with ya Al but so it goes for CU sports talk during the hum drum NFL Offseason 😩

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

It's a gamble that favors the Jets but the longer the talks go and more Rodgers demands become part of it the less it favors the Jets overall.

Honestly at this point I'd be starting to get skeptical about giving up a ton for him, Stafford isn't really a great secondary choice though since he is not really good and kinda washed up

Stafford isnt elite of the elite but hes still a top QB that will be in the HOF. Injuries certainly hurt him last year not to mention the Rams were just a dumpster fire overall.

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if Rodgers stays in GB and people just determine their asking price is just to high. The longer the process goes on the less likely it seems he'll move anywhere. The Jets have been going to the QB pro days as well so they maybe go that route. Who knows what would still be left for them QB wise at 13 though. Levis and AR shouldnt be first rounders but teams are absolutely drooling over their workouts and they could be top 10 picks now possibly even first overall

• Options

Latest update, Allen Lazard said that Aaron Rodgers is the reason he chose the Jets and he's not worried about the situation with Rodgers at all.

• Options

Let's be honest here, Aaron Rodgers and the Jets aren't going to win a Super Bowl, look at the quarterbacks Rodgers will have to face next season.

Josh Allen ×2
    Tua ×2
    Mac Jones ×2
    Patrick Mahomes
    Justin Herbert
    Deshaun Watson
    Dak Prescott
    Jalen Hurts
    Daniel Jones
    Jimmy Garoppolo
    Russell Wilson
    Desmond Ridder
    Sam Howell
    Houston Texans (2nd overall pick)

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

He is actually due almost 60MM next season!! that would be over 3MM per game. can you imagine that much money?

• Options

@craig44 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

He is actually due almost 60MM next season!! that would be over 3MM per game. can you imagine that much money?

Or how about potentially paying that amount to a high maintenance nut case like Rodgers?

• Options

@craig44 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

There are things I would do for less than one thousand that might amuse you guys (I know that that sounds weird, I don't mean it it to. lol) If we ever meet up, I might walk away rich!!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Or how about potentially paying that amount to a high maintenance nut case like Rodgers?

OH, I know! can you just imagine him playing in the NY pressure cooker? I really hope this happens

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

> He is actually due almost 60MM next season!! that would be over 3MM per game. can you imagine that much money?

Therein lies the insanity of it all.

• Options

LOL. No, there will be no Super Bowl for New York's fighting Jets when Rodgers signs, but luckily, there will be plenty of great memes!

• Options

The latest update, things have gotten ugly between Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, this has become a bitter divorce with both sides taking swipes at eachother.

Packers Start Leak War to Make Aaron Rodgers Look Bad in ‘Divorce’

The Green Bay Packers and future Hall of Fame quarterback Aaron Rodgers are heading for a “divorce.” And, like many divorces, things are starting to turn ugly. After Rodgers had his say on the Pat McAfee Show about the team wanting to move on without telling him, the Packers started their offensive. It started with snide comments from general manager Brian Gutekunst and continued with leaked reports that make the polarizing QB look bad ahead of a potential trade to the New York Jets.

Packers are trying to make Aaron Rodgers look bad
    I was told Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur would have game plan meetings to give Rodgers more say.

Sometimes Rodgers would show to the meeting and other times he would just leave Matt sitting there with no word that Aaron wasn’t going to show up.

After coming out of his darkness retreat, Aaron Rodgers told Pat McAfee that he was “90% retiring” before he learned that the Packers said “the right things publically, they were ready to move on.”

Packers Start Leak War to Make Aaron Rodgers Look Bad in ‘Divorce’

That tipped off a war of words where general manager Brian Gutekunst fired the next shot.

Packers beat writer for The Athletic Mat Schneideman shared a video on Twitter where Gutekunst said, “After the season, we had some good conversations, and we were going to have some follow-up conversations, and our inability to reach him or for him to respond in any way, at that point I had to do my job.”

Brian Gutekunst said he tried to contact Aaron Rodgers “many times” this offseason to discuss how he fit in the Packers’ future.

“Our inability to reach him or for him to respond in any way — I think at that point … I had to do my job.”

Following that shot across the bow, CBS Radio host Zach Gelb dropped a bombshell in the form of anonymous reports from the Packers.

“It’s spilling the tea season. That’s what it is when it comes to the divorce of Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers,” Gelb began. “I was told for the last few years that Rodgers and [Matt] LaFleur would have game plan meetings — obviously common practice — to give Rodgers more say. And there would be multiple times where Rodgers would show up. And there would be a lot of other times where Rodgers would just leave Matt LaFleur hanging in the meeting room, and then Matt LaFleur would eventually realize, ‘oh, he’s not showing up,’ and he would keep LaFleur guessing.”

Gelb called the “divorce” “ugly” and predicted a Packers beat writer would soon publish a story with more unflattering tidbits about Rodgers and his behavior over the last few years.

An Aaron Rodgers trade to the Jets has to happen

After all that’s gone on in the last few years — not to mention the last few days — there is no way Aaron Rodgers can return to the Packers.

The die was cast when Brian Gutekunst drafted quarterback Jordan Love in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft. Just like Ted Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers back in 2005 with Brett Favre still at the tail end of his prime (which also led to a trade to the Jets), the Love pick put a time clock on Rodgers’ days with Green Bay.

Now, with Love entering the fourth year of his four or five (with the fifth-year option) rookie deal, it is time to see what the team has in its young signal-caller. Plus, last year’s disappointing 8-9 season showed the Packers’ roster is no longer built to contend for a Super Bowl right now.

And, frankly, the Packers – the NFL’s smallest market team — have to be sick of all the drama that Rodgers provides on a near-weekly basis.

All that said, Gutekunst and company want to get some value for Rodgers, so they aren’t going to just give him away to the New York Jets.

The problem is the Packers have no leverage.

Yes, the Jets desperately need a QB, but now with Lamar Jackson publically on the market, they could go another direction. And if they do, leaving Rodgers on the Packers for 2023 would be a complete disaster.

The leak war between the Packers and Aaron Rodgers has officially started, so there is no turning back now. If a Jets trade doesn’t materialize this offseason, Green Bay will be in serious trouble come the fall.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@craig44 said:

> He is actually due almost 60MM next season!! that would be over 3MM per game. can you imagine that much money?

Therein lies the insanity of it all.

Yes, some things have gone too far and can no longer be justified.

• Options

Rodgers said the following in January with regard to his salary, whether he plays in GB or elsewhere.

It's all semantics.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2023 2:43PM

If they cant trade him then they should just literally bench Rodgers until he decides to opt out of his contract, he is too much of a prima dona to sit on the bench, play hard ball right back at him

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rodgers: "I hate you Green Bay, I want out"

Green Bay: "Nobody want's you, will you play another year here for 60 Million$?"

Rodgers: "Absolutley - I LOVE this franchise!"

(Initially, Rodgers' 2023 base salary is a fully guaranteed $59.465 million. A $58.3 million payment is required to exercise an option for Rodgers' 2025 contract year worth $20.9 million to drop his 2023 base salary to a fully guaranteed $1.165 million. Rodgers is scheduled to make $59.515 million in 2023.Mar 4, 2023)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@perkdog said:
    If they cant trade him then they should just literally bench Rodgers until he decides to opt out of his contract, he is too much of a prima dona to sit on the bench, play hard ball right back at him

They can trade him easily, they just dont want to without a big return. Packers fans would burn the stadium down if they just benched him while paying him out of spite. The trade could happen immediately they they changed their ask

• Options

I still feel like it is destiny that ARod plays in NYC