• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 11:08AM

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:
    I think this thread lives because it's hard to wrap a mind around why this is good for the marketplace.

The goal of the effort is to increase margins on commodities, yes modern coins are essentially commodities. The marketplace doesn't care what the effort costs, whether TV or this, it only cares that the goods are overpriced.

Pricing dislocation is bad for the marketplace, it artificially extracts more money for a commodity that sells for less in most other venues.

What is good about this scenario for the marketplace? Unhappy consumers are good for the market? TV buyers paying exhorbitant prices is a good thing?

It happens in sports cards so its OK?

Sorry, indefensible.

I 1,000,000% agree with all of your sentiments, but the thread lives because a few people who are smart enough not to sink their own money into it feel the need to support it, defend it, and attack people with an opposing point of view who will not allow them to have the final word.

A compulsion to get the last word, and to start a new conversation every time something stirs in VB World, is why this thread lives and new threads will spring up whenever there is anything new to report.

“A compulsion to get the last word…”

Yes. I haven't started a single one of these threads. I have no need to talk about VB at all, but I am not going to sit by and watch people with no skin in the game make posts promoting it without responding.

They cannot control themselves from starting these threads, or allow any negative response to go unanswered. Note all the out of context posts from them serving no purpose other than to make a snide reference to me.

The thread is not going to end until they stop, or until someone complains and gets it shut down. I particularly love how Freddie got his own prior threads shut down, blamed me for it (by not conforming to his wishes about what can and cannot be posted in his threads), and only recently owned up to having made the complaints himself.

Yes. They started an unnecessary thread devoted to a survey sent out by a coin dealer. Over 300 posts in, it continues because I am not allowed to have the last word. Neither is anyone else who has anything negative to say about VB. I have just been the most vocal and persistent player, but you should note that I am never the one starting, provoking, nor breaking a lull in the action.

I think most of those reading this thread know what your views are by now, based on your 90+ posts.

I understand that. We all also know how @jmlanzaf @MasonG and @WQuarterFreddie feel. Yet the threads continue to pop up. They can stop promoting, discussing, whatever. I would then stop responding. Life would go on.

Just how many of their posts are devoted to me, rather than the product or the survey? What's the real problem here? That someone is finally not going to allow @jmlanzaf or @MasonG to get the last word, or "win"?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:
    I think this thread lives because it's hard to wrap a mind around why this is good for the marketplace.

The goal of the effort is to increase margins on commodities, yes modern coins are essentially commodities. The marketplace doesn't care what the effort costs, whether TV or this, it only cares that the goods are overpriced.

Pricing dislocation is bad for the marketplace, it artificially extracts more money for a commodity that sells for less in most other venues.

What is good about this scenario for the marketplace? Unhappy consumers are good for the market? TV buyers paying exhorbitant prices is a good thing?

Sorry, indefensible.

I 1,000,000% agree with all of your sentiments, but the thread lives because a few people who are smart enough not to sink their own money into it feel the need to support it, defend it, and attack people with an opposing point of view who will not allow them to have the final word.

A compulsion to get the last word, and to start a new conversation every time something stirs in VB World, is why this thread lives and new threads will spring up whenever there is anything new to report.

Yes. I haven't started a single one of these threads. I have no need to talk about VB at all, but I am not going to sit by and watch people with no skin in the game make posts promoting it without responding.

They cannot control themselves from starting these threads, or allow any negative response to go unanswered. Note all the out of context posts from them serving no purpose other than to make a snide reference to me.

The thread is not going to end until they stop, or until someone complains and gets it shut down. I particularly love how Freddie got his own prior threads shut down, blamed me for it (by not conforming to his wishes about what can and cannot be posted in his threads), and only recently owned up to having made the complaints himself.

Yes. They started an unnecessary thread devoted to a survey sent out by a coin dealer. Over 300 posts in, it continues because I am not allowed to have the last word. Neither is anyone else who has anything negative to say about VB. I have just been the most vocal and persistent player, but you should note that I am never the one starting, provoking, nor breaking a lull in the action.

I think most of those reading this thread know what your views are by now, based on your 90+ posts.

I understand that. We all also know how @jmlanzaf @MasonG and @WQuarterFreddie feel. Yet the threads continue to pop up. They can stop promoting, discussing, whatever. I would then stop responding. Life would go on.

Just how many of their posts are devoted to me, rather than the product or the survey? What's the real problem here? That someone is finally not going to allow @jmlanzaf or @MasonG to get the last word, or "win"?

This thread was started 9 days ago and I haven’t seen a new one, since. So please don’t use the excuse that “the threads continue to pop up.”
    One problem here, appears to be that you feel you need to have the last word and “win”. But with the last word or not, no one can win.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:
    Just because I like statistics, as of 10:15 Pacific + - 2% margin of error
    number of posts:
    @WQuarterFreddie 21 posts
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

Or,

@WQuarterFreddie/@MasonG/ @jmlanzaf: 130 posts
    @NJCoin: 96 posts

;):D

I'm not taking sides. I gave up trying to care about any of this hundreds of posts and a few threads ago, but I thought I'd add some food for thought. :)

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 11:42AM

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

Sorry, indefensible.

This thread was started 9 days ago and I haven’t seen a new one, since. So please don’t use the excuse that “the threads continue to pop up.”
    One problem here, appears to be that you feel you need to have the last word and “win”. But with the last word or not, no one can win.

Yes. This thread is the new one. Nothing happened other than VB sent out a survey. Someone who did not participate in Series 1, and will not be participating in Series 2, felt the need to start a thread. I responded, twice within the first hour.

Shortly thereafter, attacks on me began, and we were off to the races. My initial responses were neither accepted nor ignored. Most of the next 7 pages are an unnecessary back and forth with me, since there really isn't a lot to say about the survey, which was supposedly the point of starting the thread.

Threads continue to pop up because 3 people who are not buyers need to talk about everything VB does in positive terms, and cannot countenance opposing views. A new one will pop up if this one gets shut down, or when VB makes a new announcement, whichever comes first.

I agree there is no winning. Particularly when the main protagonists are three people who agree that the product is not worth buying in its current configuration, at its current price, with its current method of distribution, as evidenced by their collective failure to participate.

Yet, I cannot be right, and they cannot be wrong. They need to pick apart everything negative that is said and defend the indefensible. So the thread continues.

I applaud your effort to bring a little sanity to the situation. Maybe prevail upon them to fight the urge to take potshots at me, or anyone else disagreeing with them, and to just let the thread die, since we are now a week past talking about the survey.

I might have seemed like a soft target because, before this started, I had a very low post count and had been pretty quiet. But now I am being constantly provoked, Freddie did not get the result he wanted from the moderator, and here we are. Maybe a little more than they bargain for?

• Options

@JW77 said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

number of posts:
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

Given that it's basically the 3 of them ganging up on me, that sounds about right, and I am still at a slight disadvantage. I guess I'll have to step up my game. 😎

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given that it's basically the 3 of them ganging up on me, that sounds about right, and I am still at a slight disadvantage. I guess I'll have to step up my game. 😎

Put my 4 posts in your bucket; that will even up the odds somewhat. I have a silly idea. How about if we call it quits. I'll consider your last post a single game winning RBI. :)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@JW77 said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

number of posts:
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

You seem to be confusing repeating yourself and a higher post count with stepping up your game. They’re far from the same thing.

I implore others not to take potshots at NJCoin or anyone else and for you to refrain, as well.
    With that said, I will now excuse myself from this thread.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 12:21PM

@JW77 said:

Put my 4 posts in your bucket; that will even up the odds somewhat. I have a silly idea. How about if we call it quits. I'll consider your last post a single game winning RBI. :)

Thank you! I might, because I admit it's getting tiresome. OTOH, I really can't bring myself to let them win. So, if they are not going to accept the ruling on the field, the game must continue.

I don't get why we all can't agree to disagree, but they don't seem to be able to allow themselves to be satisfied with that. They also seem to need to rip apart my character, motivations, etc.

I really did just start out trying to help people who might have missed some warning signs. That devolved into me being an arrogant, condescending elitist trying to control how others have fun, spend their money and live their lives. To me, it's all deflection because they want to destroy my credibility as part of some effort to support the product.

I don't understand why, since none of them have any direct involvement with it, either as investors, owners, promoters, customers, etc. But I do feel a compulsion to stand up to @jmlanzaf and deliver a much needed "L" to him. So, if he and the others cannot bring themselves to agree to disagree about this, the game goes on.

In the Northeast, we have a thing called either "rubbernecking" or "gaper'" delays, where traffic is slowed by people just needing to slow down to stare at an accident, rather than just driving past it. So I do get the inability to look away. But the forum does have a handy front page listing all threads, beginning with the most active. Knowing what this thread has devolved into, no one need be annoyed by it, since there is no need to inch your way past it in order to get to other threads. Unlike true rubbernecking delays.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 12:17PM

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@JW77 said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

number of posts:
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

You seem to be confusing repeating yourself and a higher post count with stepping up your game. They’re far from the same thing.

I implore others not to take potshots at NJCoin or anyone else and for you to refrain, as well.

I was joking. Believe it or not, I have not been going out of my way to increase my post count, and am not going to do anything different going forward.

If they stop attacking me or making posts that I feel deserve a response, I will stop responding. There is honestly no reason for this thread to have even been started, or to have kept going more than a day or two, other than some folks' need to put me in my place, and my refusal to let that go unaddressed.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@JW77 said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

number of posts:
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

I agree with MFeld. I put NJCoin on Ignore a long time ago and will never respond directly to him again😉

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 12:34PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@JW77 said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

number of posts:
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

I agree with MFeld. I put NJCoin on Ignore a long time ago and will never respond directly to him again😉

Great! But you can't help yourself from repeatedly announcing that to the world, and making direct references to me, in a pointless attempt to destroy my credibility or ability to participate in the forum.

Bravo, you are a true American hero. Good for you!!

How about not just Ignoring me, but also never reading my posts, skipping over quotes of my posts in other posts, or making any reference to me at all, direct or indirect, in any of your posts? And, keeping all that to yourself? Because no one really cares what you are doing with respect to me, and everyone has the freedom and requisite level of intelligence to make their determinations without input from you.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@J2035 said:
    If you like unboxing and gambling a bit (e.g. lotto, Vegas, poker, etc.), vaultbox seems like great way to have fun with coins and I understand that appeal. If your goal is to invest in coins and make money, then vaultbox should be avoided. Different people have different objectives with their collecting and that's what makes it diverse and fun.

Sure makes sense. But. The house has stacked the deck as shown with VB1. Some of the players were preferentially treated such that Joe off the street had much less chance than stated of getting one of the big value, or even reasonable value, boxes. The vendors worked to do a presale with a company that is being investigated by the FBI for shill bidding on ebay. The influencers all came up with great coins, while non-influencers and Joe off the street, posting their results here, youtube, or wherever, largely did not. So sure, if this was a truly random distribution of the boxes, it might be fun. But it seems the house wants you to believe that when it is really mostly hype to get one to shell out 2-3x price value for some bullion coins in NGCX slabs..........

I wouldn't get as near as the Moon from Earth for VB2.

A lot of misinformation here. > @JBK said:

@JW77 said:
    number of posts:
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

Or,

I'm not taking sides. I gave up trying to care about any of this hundreds of posts and a few threads ago, but I thought I'd add some food for thought. :)

@JBK said:

@JW77 said:
    number of posts:
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

Or,

That's not fair. At least 2 of those 3 people have him on ignore and we sometimes are chatting to each other. To even add those post counts together is to buy into his nonsense that we're ganging up on him. He's the one who feels the need to insert himself into every comment. Go look at what happened when I posted my VB slab. No one tagged him or made any comment that disagreed with any post of his prior. I was just showing off my bargain buy and in he came.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 1:33PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

@J2035 said:
    If you like unboxing and gambling a bit (e.g. lotto, Vegas, poker, etc.), vaultbox seems like great way to have fun with coins and I understand that appeal. If your goal is to invest in coins and make money, then vaultbox should be avoided. Different people have different objectives with their collecting and that's what makes it diverse and fun.

Sure makes sense. But. The house has stacked the deck as shown with VB1. Some of the players were preferentially treated such that Joe off the street had much less chance than stated of getting one of the big value, or even reasonable value, boxes. The vendors worked to do a presale with a company that is being investigated by the FBI for shill bidding on ebay. The influencers all came up with great coins, while non-influencers and Joe off the street, posting their results here, youtube, or wherever, largely did not. So sure, if this was a truly random distribution of the boxes, it might be fun. But it seems the house wants you to believe that when it is really mostly hype to get one to shell out 2-3x price value for some bullion coins in NGCX slabs..........

I wouldn't get as near as the Moon from Earth for VB2.

A lot of misinformation here. > @JBK said:

@JW77 said:
    number of posts:
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

Or,

@JBK said:

@JW77 said:
    number of posts:
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

Or,

That's not fair. At least 2 of those 3 people have him on ignore and we sometimes are chatting to each other. To even add those post counts together is to buy into his nonsense that we're ganging up on him. He's the one who feels the need to insert himself into every comment. Go look at what happened when I posted my VB slab. No one tagged him or made any comment that disagreed with any post of his prior. I was just showing off my bargain buy and in he came.

You chat to yourselves via DMs, not in a public forum. In a public forum, you are chatting to all of us, and counting it is perfectly fair.

By showing off your "bargain buy," you made my point, pointed out what a hypocrite you were by taking advantage of someone else's misfortune in buying a product you publicly supported, and then dumping it to you a few weeks later for pennies on the dollar, thereby constituting your "bargain," and then you bragged about it. Maybe don't publicly support a product at $600 if you are later going to publicly brag about relieving someone of a third of it for $49.

You basically invited me to comment by taking your victory lap here. Sorry for bursting your bubble and holding up a mirror to you and your actions. It is what it is. Other than your 2 pals, just who else were you expecting a pat on the back from here? After all, all you really did was buy a $49 ASE for $49 from someone who got sucked into buying it from VB for $200 (or maybe even more from someone on eBay). Great for you. Probably not so much "fun" for the person on the other side of your transaction.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK — Thanks. A word count would be good. (No good deed…)

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I'm not buying into anything. It's just that this thread seems like it's being sustained by about four people, all of whom claim it's the other guy's fault. And if everyone truly had NJCoin on ignore then there would be nothing much to respond to.

In the interest of accuracy, I have not made any claims about who has posted what or how often and I haven't responded to NJ at all. After a quick look, it appears that probably 90% of my posts on this thread were replies to comments @jmlanzaf has made.

Carry on. :)

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:

@MFeld said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:

number of posts:
    @MasonG 33 posts
    @jmlanzaf 76 posts
    @NJCoin 96 posts

I'm enthralled by this thread. Who's lying, who's telling the truth? We can get to the bottom of this with another 1000 posts!

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 2:22PM

@MasonG said:

@JBK said:
    I'm not buying into anything. It's just that this thread seems like it's being sustained by about four people, all of whom claim it's the other guy's fault. And if everyone truly had NJCoin on ignore then there would be nothing much to respond to.

In the interest of accuracy, I have not made any claims about who has posted what or how often and I haven't responded to NJ at all. After a quick look, it appears that probably 90% of my posts on this thread were replies to comments @jmlanzaf has made.

Carry on. :)

Congratulations. You are a true saint, not responding to me at all. Just who were you referring to in all of these responses to @jmlanzaf?

This is just a sample going back to 2/21. Virtually every single response you made to @jmlanzaf referred to me. If you have me on Ignore, that doesn't mean I can't see what you post. Whether or not I respond to each and every shot.

Hypocrite! In the interest of accuracy. 🤣

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Never mind. I'm not getting dragged back into this nonsense.

I look forward to VB 2. It appears to be the most exciting thing in the hobby.

I think the most exciting part will be hearing (again and again and again) how poor a value VB2 is, from people who obviously don't understand the value of VB1. What do you think the most exciting part will be?

@MasonG said:

@3stars said:
    Definitely not from Atlantic City

The smart guys don't ever stop to think that maybe, other people value things they don't. And they're not shy about pointing out how you're wrong if you don't agree with them.

@MasonG said:

@3stars said:

@NJCoin said:

@MasonG said:

@3stars said:
    I bought a VB for $600 and got about $450 in value - if I really cared about getting $600 in coins for $600 I'd buy them sight seen.

Good luck trying to explain this to some people.

Yeah. Good luck.

Most people spending $600 on coins expect to receive $600 worth of coins, sight unseen or otherwise. I actually don't understand someone not caring about what they are getting in return for their money, although I don't deny anyone the right to do whatever they want with their money.

Don't tell that to the people buying direct from the mint when the aftermarket value of their coins goes way down. If they paid $3500 for a palladium coin it better keep its value at $3500 by that logic.

Not to worry. I'm sure that's different. ;)

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    We're not arguing. But we can't seem to have a friendly discussion about anything without some jackhole jumping in and repeating himself.

You mean by continuing to say (but not in so many words) "I don't understand why other people value things differently than I do and even though I don't, I'm still going to tell them that their opinions are wrong"?

That sort of repeating?

@MasonG said:

@3stars said:
    I bought a VB for $600 and got about $450 in value - if I really cared about getting $600 in coins for $600 I'd buy them sight seen.

Good luck trying to explain this to some people.

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    One track mind. I'm talking about card prices, not hobby boxes.

Hobby boxes? They're not a very good investment, I'm told.

If only one of my superiors could do the math for me.

Forget about the math. You don't need it when you have a smart person to tell you when what you're doing isn't a good idea.

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    One track mind. I'm talking about card prices, not hobby boxes.

Hobby boxes? They're not a very good investment, I'm told.

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    FIND ONE POST WHERE I EVER TOLD ANYONE TO BUY ONE or even suggested it was a good value.

It should be easy, right?

ONE POST!

Until then, keep my name outta your mouth.

Still happening? Sad. :(

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    And STOP LYING. I have never advocated for buying or not buying. I told you to let people buy what they want without being called stupid.

That's still happening? Sad. :(

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Edited to add: if he does flip one, I will laugh till Christmas.

VaultBox making a guaranteed profit from unsuspecting buyers who don't know how to evaluate an offer? Deplorable.
    Condescending bystander making a guaranteed profit from unsuspecting buyers who don't know how to evaluate an offer? Muy bueno.

:)

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 2:25PM

@JoeLewis said:

@NJCoin said:
    OTOH, I really can't bring myself to let them win.

For the love of God, can we PLEASE just let NJCoin get the last word so he can win? This thread is embarrassing to the whole forum at this point!

I'll even take a draw, as I've said before. I just don't think @jmlanzaf is used to being challenged like this, and I don't think he is going to be able to live with the others he tangles with on this forum see me not get frustrated and let him win. Might set a bad example for the others. And, when @jmlanzaf is thirsty, it appears as though @MasonG needs to have a drink. 🤣

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aimed at nobody in particular; it just somehow seems relevant. ;)

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 6:45PM

In the words of @Fraz, “let the last person to comment on this thread be the fool”

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:
    I’m the words of @Fraz, “let the last person to comment on this thread be the fool”

Looks like he blocked the shot with his face.

• Options

@Onastone said:
    So, anybody know when VB2 is coming out?

(Sure would be nice to have a VB thread without all the drama.)

In an interview I posted in this thread, they said they were aiming for the end of March.

• Options

We can keep this thread alive together

• Options

Oh come on I can't be the last word on this one

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

That which can be said has been said.
    That which can be done has been done.
    That which cannot be said cannot be done.
    That which cannot be done must not be said.

Voldermort.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

Just when this thread hits page 2 and I think FINALLY this thread has died...this happens🤣😂

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Just when this thread hits page 2 and I think FINALLY this thread has died...this happens🤣😂

Personally, I still find VB interesting. Unfortunately, we can't actually discuss it.

They should be announcing the composition soon. There will supposedly be 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars in it perv the interview I posted. Modern commems might be fun.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad :'( it reminds me of:
    Without You

No, I can't forget tomorrow
    When I think of all my sorrow
    When I had you there, but then I let you go
    And now it's only fair that I should let you know
    What you should know?

I can't live, if living is without you
    I can't give, I can't give anymore
    Can't live, if living is without you
    Can't give, I can't give anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Z-KzTw1u8

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Personally, I still find VB interesting. Unfortunately, we can't actually discuss it.

They should be announcing the composition soon. There will supposedly be 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars in it perv the interview I posted. Modern commems might be fun.

You're absolutely right. We can't discuss it because people are dug in, and get offended by opposing points of view.

You're also right that it could be fun, if the distribution was fair, supervised and/or implemented by an independent third party, and if pricing was more in line with actual value. None of that happened or will happen, so what's "fun" about paying into a pool with few winners and many losers, where there is no transparency into exactly who is getting what?

As MANY others have posted, collectors all over the world can and do have fun with numismatics by finding something they like and collecting it. Unregulated gambling is unregulated gambling, even if coins are the vehicle to separate the marks from their cash.

And then there still is the question of why someone who isn't either a customer or associated with VB is posting interviews, posting references to interviews, and then posting additional references to interviews promoting the offering.

Bottom line -- people who are willing to pay a significant premium to get their hopes up before being disappointed will be all over Series 2. Good for them, and I truly wish them well. Others who think there is a flip in unopened boxes will be in as well, and I wish them all the luck in the world. For everyone else, it makes no difference what they put in the boxes, there is no "fun" in literally throwing away hundreds of dollars, and what they announce or do just doesn't matter.

There. Everyone wanted the thread to die, and then couldn't live with it when it did. So we are back. Carry on.

Just notice, once again, that I am not the one who resurrected it. I am just the one who is not going to allow the repetitive promotion to be conducted without a repetitive opposing point of view.

• Options

QED

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

It's not the subject that is the problem with this thread😉

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

I know. But it's a shame. This is a somewhat new concept in numismatics. I can think of a lot of fun ways to adapt it. But we just can't discuss the actual concept without the thread spiraling downhill.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2023 10:17AM

@JoeLewis said:
    @NJCoin

Seriously, what is the point of you writing all that? You’ve said those things over and over and over again. No way you could possibly be replying to anyone because nobody said anything to you. Just because someone started this nonsense again (apparently they think it’s funny), you don’t have to reply.

If you feel like you are performing some kind of public service, you’re not. We all get it. We all know precisely how you feel about VB because you’ve said it so many times.

Fair enough. Similarly, why don't you question why @jmlanzaf is posting nothing new to a zombie thread?

"They should be announcing the composition soon. There will supposedly be 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars in it perv the interview I posted. Modern commems might be fun." is hardly newsworthy. I'm posting for whoever might stumble across the thread. Not you, or @jmlanzaf, or @MasonG, or @WQuarterFreddie.

We also know that none of them are customers or connected to VB, but are all somehow invested in its success. Whatever. There are two solutions for anyone who is annoyed. Stop posting the same repetitive crap, inviting the same repetitive responses you find annoying. Or simply ignore me.

They are engaging in a form of marketing under the guise of a discussion. They are not genuinely interested in buying, other than at a steep discount to the offering price, and I think that is worth repeating, as often as they feel the need to market.

For the record, I did not respond to any of the "funny" posts trying to get the thread going again. I only responded when @jmlanzaf accepted the invitation and picked up where he left off. I then did the same.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2023 10:28AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

I know. But it's a shame. This is a somewhat new concept in numismatics. I can think of a lot of fun ways to adapt it. But we just can't discuss the actual concept without the thread spiraling downhill.

But, we can discuss, if only you were willing to take your blinders off and engage, rather than defending the indefensible and insisting on giving the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, lots of fun ways to adapt it. The lottery element is interesting, but selling the aggregate coin pool at a significant premium to retail is not. Care to discuss, or just want to respond that there is no "evidence" that they are actually doing that?

Having grading, packing and sealing handled by a trusted third party is great. Having distribution handled by the company itself, and its marketing partner that was kicked off of eBay, not so much. Care to discuss, or just want to respond that everything questionable anyone observed was just a weird series of coincidences, with no "proof" of wrongdoing?

No way to know what's inside a sealed box? The internet figured out that was BS in two minutes. Apparently, the geniuses behind the product only learned that through customer feedback, although good boxes still ended up where they needed to be pre-launch.

Do you really want to discuss, or just act as a marketing shill and/or defense attorney?

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

FFS
    I feel like I'm at a schoolyard "he started it...no HE started it" I'm-the martyr contest. Guys...let it go. Otherwise at this point I'm thinking it's less about stating a counterpoint and more about egos and wanting to have the last word, or just arguing for the sake of argument, or to see your words in print. Everyone is painfully aware of the viewpoints of the primary combatants involved. If you still can't help yourselves, then please go start your own private argument thread. But I think I am speaking for MANY here when I say enough already. It is beyond stupid and pointless to keep going back and forth in an endless "Got you last" whizzing contest.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2023 10:46AM

@telephoto1 said:
    FFS
    I feel like I'm at a schoolyard "he started it...no HE started it" I'm-the martyr contest. Guys...let it go. Otherwise at this point I'm thinking it's less about stating a counterpoint and more about egos and wanting to have the last word, or just arguing for the sake of argument, or to see your words in print. Everyone is painfully aware of the viewpoints of the primary combatants involved. If you still can't help yourselves, then please go start your own private argument thread. But I think I am speaking for MANY here when I say enough already. It is beyond stupid and pointless to keep going back and forth in an endless "Got you last" whizzing contest.

You're absolutely right. So why was anything at all posted since February 26th, when things calmed down? There certainly hasn't been any news from VB. Because people want to keep hyping it? Great! In that case, I want to keep responding.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not knowing WTF a Vault Box is I never opened this thread until now.
    Some folks have a way different idea than I do on how to have fun on a coin Forum.
    Carry on.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

" if pricing was more in line with actual value"

So then each box should be priced based on its contents, which defeats the purpose and point of VB. If I'm paying $20k for the box with the V75 gold in it, I know what I'm getting and could have just purchased one from a dealer.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2023 10:59AM

@NJCoin said:

@JoeLewis said:
    @NJCoin

Seriously, what is the point of you writing all that? You’ve said those things over and over and over again. No way you could possibly be replying to anyone because nobody said anything to you. Just because someone started this nonsense again (apparently they think it’s funny), you don’t have to reply.

If you feel like you are performing some kind of public service, you’re not. We all get it. We all know precisely how you feel about VB because you’ve said it so many times.

Fair enough. Similarly, why don't you question why @jmlanzaf is posting nothing new to a zombie thread?

"They should be announcing the composition soon. There will supposedly be 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars in it perv the interview I posted. Modern commems might be fun." is hardly newsworthy. I'm posting for whoever might stumble across the thread. Not you, or @jmlanzaf, or @MasonG, or @WQuarterFreddie.

We also know that none of them are customers or connected to VB, but are all somehow invested in its success. Whatever. There are two solutions for anyone who is annoyed. Stop posting the same repetitive crap, inviting the same repetitive responses you find annoying. Or simply ignore me.

They are engaging in a form of marketing under the guise of a discussion. They are not genuinely interested in buying, other than at a steep discount to the offering price, and I think that is worth repeating, as often as they feel the need to market.

For the record, I did not respond to any of the "funny" posts trying to get the thread going again. I only responded when @jmlanzaf accepted the invitation and picked up where he left off. I then did the same.

Is the info about the Morgan and Peace dollars not new?

I legitimately don’t know, as I will not read every post here.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2023 1:25PM

@3stars said:

So then each box should be priced based on its contents, which defeats the purpose and point of VB. If I'm paying $20k for the box with the V75 gold in it, I know what I'm getting and could have just purchased one from a dealer.

No. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I meant if the 2,400 coins spread across the 800 boxes, sold for $595 each, had an aggregate retail value of $476,000.

Due to the use of fuzzy math, fictitious price guides, etc., it appears as though the actual, real, aggregate retail value of all of the coins pulled from the boxes is far below that number. Of course, there will be winners and losers with sealed boxes.

But, if the boxes are not priced "fairly," however you choose to define that, you will have far more losers than otherwise, and they will each lose far more than otherwise. This is different from saying that each box should be priced based on what it contains, which would, as you said, defeat the purpose of a sealed box lottery.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2023 11:14AM

@JoeLewis said:

@NJCoin said:

@JoeLewis said:
    @NJCoin

No. it was apparently in the interview he posted a link to weeks ago, and reposted a reference to days ago. It didn't get any attention, so he is reposting yet again. SHILLING, as he is neither an interested buyer nor the seller.

• Options

@3stars said:

Not everybody is clear on the concept.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2023 12:07PM

QED

@JoeLewis said:

@JoeLewis said:

It's news if you didn't watch the 40 minute video I posted.

I just mentioned it as one of the things I wish could be discussed. They haven't announced anything about the sets but they were supposed to be curated around a theme so I'm thinking maybe modern dollar commems.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file