Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Saturday morning coffee with coins

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great thread.

One of these days I am going to acquire a Barber half that will be of quality similar to those posted by El Dorado. :)

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 11:23AM

That's cool. My wife works in Healdsburg, but not at a cigar store :)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Gentlemen, always a pleasure to congregate here with some hot coffee and eye candy.
    Here is a new one and kind of reminds me of us all studying our coins:
    1859 "The Antiquary" Merchant Card, John K. Curtis. PCGS MS64BN

Have a great weekend.

VERY cool my brother 👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eldo. That Walker! 😵‍💫😊

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 12:12PM

A very cool thread with great coins.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've shown my grades and TVs of my latest submission to PCGS already. I was looking forward to examining them in hand again today, but the Post Office apparently doesn't bother to come up the 300-foot driveway to my new house. They'd rather tell you that you weren't at home when they call. So, instead of looking at nice coins in-hand with some dark roast, I'm looking at old photos of coins on my computer while I record eBay purchases for my collection.

During inventorying, I came across an eBay receipt for a 1949 Canadian dollar in ICCG MS66 that I couldn't recall ever purchasing. Then, in the process of posting coins for a thread about "eye-appealing" coins, I spotted it! It was in the "Postal mishaps with Coins" file along with my nice 1849 half that came through a postal "Immaculate Compression" intact. :D So, unlike the last two Saturdays that were ruined by eBay crooks and their misleading photos, I count this as a good Saturday looking at coins. LOL.

Don't mail coins in thin letter-like packages. Enough pressure was applied to the coin that it cut through the soft plastic ICCG holder. The coin was returned to the seller for a refund. I don't know the outcome of this coin's regrading.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    This is a great thread.

One of these days I am going to acquire a Barber half that will be of quality similar to those posted by El Dorado. :)

Definitely my favorite thread outside of my own :-) it’s making me want to sell my whole collection of moderns I’ve been making the past 5 yrs for just one of those toned proofs.

But it’s hard to let go and it would be like starting over but also starting a new.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    My > @Jzyskowski1 said:

Good morning 😃
    Check out this picture of my 9 year old grandson’s artwork that was transferred to a dang coffee cup. He’s been studying Picasso and it shows. Our little school district comes up with some really nice fundraising stuff.
    Holiday I don’t spend much on coins for me but these tokens were priced right. One shall be a gift for my adult son, Dave 😁

It looks like an adult painted this cup.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    My > @Jzyskowski1 said:

Good morning 😃
    Check out this picture of my 9 year old grandson’s artwork that was transferred to a dang coffee cup. He’s been studying Picasso and it shows. Our little school district comes up with some really nice fundraising stuff.
    Holiday I don’t spend much on coins for me but these tokens were priced right. One shall be a gift for my adult son, Dave 😁

Love that mug, and the story behind it! Better than any coin.
    You can definitely see Picasso influence in his work.

Impressive!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning everyone 😀
    This morning having some Hawaiian blend and today’s post is not a coin. It’s the very first Beaver note I’ve found.🦫. There’s plenty of coins with beavers but paper is another story. 1934 to boot 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9

mmmm, mmmm, mmmm <3

I've always been more of a business strike man ... and that 01-O is something beyond special for a product of New Orleans ... but that 01-S is ... ohhhh, it catches me speechless every time ... just sublime! Looks like it was just unwrapped from it's 100 year old tissue paper!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    . There’s plenty of coins with beavers but paper is another story. 1934 to boot 😁

This is a beaver? Looks like a horse trying to buck the rider off

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    . There’s plenty of coins with beavers but paper is another story. 1934 to boot 😁

Oops. Holy bad vision. I’m speechless. From a distance 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    I love laughing at myself. Yup. It’s a horse 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂.
    Oh well it’ll go with this years Liberty Medal. 😂😂😂😂. That’s awesome. Dang old age is a cruel mistress 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🙀🦫

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9

Do you have special sunglasses to protect your eyes when looking at your collection?

;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

I have nothing new this morning. However I am going to attend today's San Francisco International Coin Show.

I hope to pick up a new coin or two at that show that I can post to this thread.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

It COULD qualify as a "beaver buck" as it hails from Oregon . . . . .

Z

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@DCW said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Oops. Holy bad vision. I’m speechless. From a distance 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    I love laughing at myself. Yup. It’s a horse 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂.
    Oh well it’ll go with this years Liberty Medal. 😂😂😂😂. That’s awesome. Dang old age is a cruel mistress 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🙀🦫

@DCW said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Also picked up these coins at today's show.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Just left the coin show.

I am now enjoying a new, roughly 2,500 - 2,600 hundred year old coin.

My first ancient. It is a Hoot!!

Spectacular choice for your first ancient!
    A beautiful example of that pivotal piece of history too!
    Congratulations!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    New addition with my coffee today.

Great '22! Better Die State too. O-106a

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Hey everybody “ it’s Dr. Nick”🤧
    Sorry I’m late but better than never.
    Wow talk about a 48 hour bug. Dang. Better this lovely Sunday morning

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file