Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Playoffs thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like the Dallas vs SF and now SF vs Green Bay, reminds me of the mid 90’s when those 3 teams were the class of the NFL

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere in a thread I said Murray was Lamar Jackson 2.0. Great in a video game, not so much on the field.
    The explanation is simple. 20 years ago the best athlete in peewee, high school, college played running back. Now he plays QB. That doesn’t make him a QB, it makes him the best athlete on the field.
    We have 8 teams left.
    Aaron Rodgers - traditional QB
    Tom Brady- traditional QB
    Mathew Stafford- traditional QB
    Jimmy G - traditional QB
    Ryan Tannehill- traditional QB
    Joe Burrow- traditional QB

The only 2 that slightly buck that trend
    Patrick Mahomes- scrambles but passes on a scramble
    Josh Allen- Is there any question he’s a great passer but can also run

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Ok NFL. The 7 team playoff format is in its second season. Last year we did have an exciting game, Bills vs Colts, sort of.
    7 seeds are 0-4, 0-2 this year losing by 15 and 21. Neither game was competitive.
    6 teams, 2 byes worked so well. We’ve even had 9-7 teams win the Super Bowl. That was exciting!
    I know it’s all about the money but please go back to it. My nightmare scenario is they will expand again.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Another thought on the Cowboys. The Cowboys were home and had at least 6 pre snap penalties on offense. I can see it for road teams, can’t hear etc. But a home team committing these are inexcusable. 14 accepted in total. The 49ers alerted the refs before the game to watch the DL as they constantly held OL. I guess it worked. 3 of those, 2 at crucial times.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Another thought on the Cowboys. The Cowboys were home and had at least 6 pre snap penalties on offense. I can see it for road teams, can’t hear etc. But a home team committing these are inexcusable. 14 accepted in total. The 49ers alerted the refs before the game to watch the DL as they constantly held OL. I guess it worked. 3 of those, 2 at crucial times.

I’m curious who most people think this falls on. McCarthy or the players themselves? Either way with all those penalties they still were in a position to potentially win.

Green Bay should take SF to the woodshed

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

the pick-6 that kyler threw last night is one of the worst passes/decisions i have ever seen at any level of football, and that includes pee wee

there is something going on with kliff kingsbury-led teams, and i don't know what it is. the Cardinals were a loaded gun in the first half of the season -- they blew the doors off of Tennessee IN Tennessee, beat the brakes off of the Rams IN LA, and took the Niners down TWICE. then the second half of the season rolled around and they honestly looked like a team vying for the #1 overall pick in the draft. it's like they do what works until it doesn't and then they completely stop winning.

and then we have this little nugget. how do you have a head coaching job ANYWHERE with this type of resume? 😳

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2022 8:44AM

I only hope Wirfs and Jensen are not badly hurt. That combined with the way the Rams pass rush looked last night is a bit of a concern for TB12.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I only hope Wirfs and Jensen are not badly hurt. That combined with the way the Rams pass rush looked last night is a bit of a concern for TB12.

Indeed as the Philly rush got home against the Bucs

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    This is Stafford's moment, first real chance in his career, he either rises up, or becomes Dak. I think he rises.

Well, that is what happened last night. You were right Spacey. The Rams came out and played a very, very different game for them. Very conservative on offense. Took no chances on the field and no chances with coaching decisions. I think the main concern was Stafford.....calm him down.... don't take chances with the passing game. Stafford has thrown 6(?) interceptions in the last 3 games. His interceptions and poor passing decisions have been the MAJOR reason contributing to Ram losses all season. Looks like they got that under control last night, no interceptions.....just in time because it's gonna take everything they have if they expect to beat Tommy!

• Options

Rams got something Stafford never had with Detroit. The lead!! They didn’t ask too much of him because the defense completely shut down Arizona.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Galaxy interesting stats on Kingsburys' coaching record. That's 9 years of data so nobody
    can say its a fluke. That's just weird how his teams go downhill like that as the season goes on.
    I don't really know much about Mahomes' college career I wonder if he got worse as the season
    progressed, I believe he would have been the starter for 3 of those Tech seasons.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

I’m curious who most people think this falls on. McCarthy or the players themselves? Either way with all those penalties they still were in a position to potentially win.

perkdog I don't think Green Bay is going to have an easy time with the Niners.
    SF may be the most improved team in football from the first half to the second half of season.
    And I say that without looking up their 1st half record compared to 2nd half just an observation
    but they just seem like they've been playing at a lot higher level lately.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of the Packers, they have released a playoff hype video narrarated by one Aaron Rodgers, here is the video.

• Options

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

perkdog I don't think Green Bay is going to have an easy time with the Niners.
    SF may be the most improved team in football from the first half to the second half of season.
    And I say that without looking up their 1st half record compared to 2nd half just an observation
    but they just seem like they've been playing at a lot higher level lately.

IDK Dallas just handed the game to SF the other night and still almost won it.

Garropollo is not that good, Bosa and another key starter are hurt so there are some question marks in my opinion.

• Options

I went 5-1 last week with my playoff picks, these are my picks for the upcoming weekend:

Titans
    Chiefs
    Packers
    Bucs

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

Yup McLain and Payne were discussing this on 610 this morning on my way to work, this is a problem for AZ.......

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@doubledragon said:
    I went 5-1 last week with my playoff picks, these are my picks for the upcoming weekend:

Titans
    Chiefs
    Packers
    Bucs

Cincy
    KC
    SF
    LA

I predict 3 upsets, you chose the home team for all ;)

Never will I pick GB as long as Aaron 'Boy Hat and Two Boots is their QB. We will see......................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

As long as Brady, Rodgers and Allen are playing I can never bet against them losing straight up. With point spreads is different but not this weekend. Rodgers and Allen are the hottest QB’s coming into this week and Brady, well, Brady is Brady.
    I will take Burrow and the 3.5
    Cincinnati +3.5
    Green Bay -6
    Tampa-3.5
    Buffalo +2

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went 5-1last week. I felt confident about my picks except for the one I missed. This week I don't have a clue other than I have been convinced Buffalo is the superior team. BTW I hope I am wrong picking Tennessee. Here are my picks
    Tennessee
    Green Bay
    Tampa
    Buffalo

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    I went 5-1last week. I felt confident about my picks except for the one I missed. This week I don't have a clue other than I have been convinced Buffalo is the superior team. BTW I hope I am wrong picking Tennessee. Here are my picks
    Tennessee
    Green Bay
    Tampa
    Buffalo

Those are my picks too, Brick...hope I'm wrong about Tampa.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me give this a spin

Titans
    Packers ( want SF in the worst way)
    Rams
    Bills ( coin flip)

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I’m saying…

Cincy, TOMPA, Green Bay and KC

• Options

I’m going to make my picks early so I don’t 2nd guess myself. I went 5-1 wagering last week. 5-0 after Philly and big on the bills. I’m going to breakdown the whys
    Tennessee-3.5
    Vrabel is 12-1 after a bye and the Bengals OL is the 20th ranked OL in football.
    Green Bay-5.5 Green Bay is 20-3 in their last 23 home games. Jimmy G is good for 2 bad Jimmy G plays a game.
    Tampa-3.5 Tom Brady is 20-1 in divisional home games.
    Buffalo +2. Bills #1 defense and Josh Allens threat of running and his legs are the difference. The Bills will stop Mahomes enough times to win. Kansas City will have 2 or more turnovers. Easily the best and most confident bet of the weekend

W.C.Fields
  • Options

LA Rams would be my lock.
    Then Cincy, SF, KC.

• Options

Easy to pick the favorites, but I think SF, LA, and Cincy could all be upsetters as I noted above. All 3 are riding momentum sustained over the last part of the season and into the 1rst round and sometimes that is what matters.

When it comes to the gunners, you have to decide which one you think is going to throw more TD's. KC-Buf could go either way but KC has home advantage and that might put Mahomes on top.

Best, SH

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Let me give this a spin

Titans
    Packers ( want SF in the worst way)
    Rams
    Bills ( coin flip)

m

You and me both.......keep your fingers crossed!

• Options
    edited January 21, 2022 7:51PM

The Rams fans know that they did wrong by selling their tickets to the Niner fans for the last game of the season...It was an embarrassment. Basically gave the Niners the home field

advantage. Well,......everyone, Ram fans and Niner fans want a rematch...... Niners vs. Rams for the NFC Championship! It's a long shot but it would sure be EXCITING! SoFi Stadium would be a MAD HOUSE OF ENERGY if that happened! GO RAMS....GO NINERS!!!!

• Options

The Bengals are up 3-0 right now, Tennessee is off to a rough start offensively so far.

• Options

The titans offense looks like trash so far, the Bengals are up 6-0.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2022 3:42PM

Tied 6-6. Sorry to say but the Bengals look totally lost.....miracle to be up 6-0 at one point. Offense and defense look terrible......lazy mental mistakes......it's still early..... Bengals need to get it together fast......Burrow can't keep taking the punishment for much longer.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2022 4:03PM

The Bengals lead at the half 9-6, close game so far, good defensive battle.

• Options

The Bengals are up 16-6 and the Bengals just picked off Tannehill, the Titans are screwed.

• Options

I made a huge mistake going against my golden rule. Pick the best QB. Geez

W.C.Fields
  • Options

The Titans get a stop, they have to get something going, still plenty of time left.

• Options

Go Bengals....looking better. But......neither team is championship quality. I don't see anything special. But....anything can happen! Bengals and Bills matchup next week. I would like to see that! I like those young AFC quarterbacks! The future of the AFC is in good hands!!!!!

• Options

The Titans have to settle for a field goal, you can't keep settling for field goals, you need to score touchdowns against Joe Burrow.

• Options

Touchdown Titans, now we have a game.

• Options

All tied up at 16.

• Options

So answer me this, when is dragging a football across the ground considered an interception or reception? What is it I a missing here? Refs even reviewed it. Yikes.

• Options

That w> @spacehayduke said:

So answer me this, when is dragging a football across the ground considered an interception or reception? What is it I a missing here? Refs even reviewed it. Yikes.

I thought the Titans were going to lose that challenge as well.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2022 5:35PM

@spacehayduke said:

Oh, yea Spacy! Iknow where you' re coming from. But, it was a great attempt....... The Lovely Mrs Hydrant says it was a catch because it hit the ground and he caught it simultaneously!..,.. But.....as I learned in college physics...... THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!......I never disagree with her.....even when she's wrong.......because....... she's got a pizza in the oven for the Niner /Packer game. It smells good. Just keep it happy!!!!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cincinnati quarterback needs to learn how to throw the ball away. He takes too many sacks.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeez.........I'm guessin' Burrow isn't going to be taking the OL out for drinks tonight!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

It’s looking good for Tennessee. Their offense is bound to break out on one of these drives. Cincinnati is too sack prone. Their offense is too inconsistent.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

The Titans need to score on this drive, come on Titans, get fired up, knock em off the ball, get in there and win one for the Vrabel gipper!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Titans win!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dewey Wins!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

And the Bengals intercept the ball, unbelievable.

• Options

Headed for overtime.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here comes a game winning field goal!!!!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"