Home U.S. Coin Forum

***Official 2021 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin- Price Posted!***

CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 19, 2021 7:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Who is in for this coin? On sale tomorrow!
Price posted: $2,715
Mintage Limit: 12,500
Product Limit: 12,500
Household Order Limit: 1

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-liberty-2021-high-relief-gold-coin-21DA.html?cgid=2021-product-schedule

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."

Comments

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m all in…if someone posts a buy it for me add.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

they said the gold Kennedy would hit spot.

they didn't and still sell over melt raw.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:
    Love the coin. The price is painful. I am out. And patient.

Agree. I'll buy one at $100 over spot when they get there. This coin is unflippable and highly unlikely to hold it's value.

Although...if anyone (Apmex, Pinehurst, QVC) wants to promote these, they are:
    1. High Relief
    2. The 1st U.S. $100 gold coin

Yes, the 2021 is high relief. But it is not the first U.S. $100 gold.
    Remember the 2015 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin?

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold Kennedy, ah yes.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, almost $1k over spot, that is crazy. I could say so many more things but it would not be considered appropriate here. I actually really like the design but not for that amount for sure.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 4:02PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    they said the gold Kennedy would hit spot.

they didn't and still sell over melt raw.

They almost never hit spot. Proofs are usually over spot. This has a large mintage and limited interest.

And Kennedy isn't $900 over melt. In fact, it's only $200 to $250 over. AGE proofs are currently +$350.

@CoinMeister said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:

Agree. I'll buy one at $100 over spot when they get there. This coin is unflippable and highly unlikely to hold it's value.

1. High Relief

Yes, the 2021 is high relief. But it is not the first U.S. $100 gold.
    Remember the 2015 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin?

Hmmm... nope. I forgot it. [I mean, I remember the coin but not the denomination. ]

So I retract my glimmer of hope. This coin has no hope. Lol

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's .9999 gold, so it's a 2,000 coin all day long, nothing over that for me anyway

but you get a real clamshell with this one

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really feel if a coin is a proof, they should show it as a proof in the photos. These MS looking photos are fairly common, even in some versions of TrueView's of proofs, and in many cases don't do the coin justice. I bet these will look better in hand.

the 2009 high relief gold went on sale at the mint for 1,189 and those never sold out in minutes

@coinpalice said:
    the 2009 high relief gold went on sale at the mint for 1,189 and those never sold out in minutes

there was no product limit on those.

they obviously minted some beforehand, but I do not recall how many nor how long before they went to backorder.

I did get one tidbit of info from a mint employee -- there was about 100,000 pieces of unused OGP they had to get rid of.

• Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

Right at the financial crisis, very few people bought, probably.

• CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

I don’t believe the buyer’s clubs were as prevalent back then. Also, the 2009 didn’t have a HHL. The price of gold was $860 an ounce then, meaning that the coins were initially selling for a 38 percent premium to their gold content.
    The 2009 was a mint state coin vs the 2021 is a proof coin. That said, the 2021 is still a rather expensive coin given current spot prices.

i bought 3

the UHR sold over 110,000 coins

@Samuel8 said:

Right at the financial crisis, very few people bought, probably.

although with prices remaining strong, perhaps sales were adversely affected

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, there will be people that buy this Gold no matter what the price. And the dealers will buy it so they can have it graded and if you’re willing to pay their price, well, who do you have to blame.
    Once again, I love this coin, but this isn’t going to be the only opportunity to buy it.
    And if it does sell out fairly quickly in the morning, the early flips will tell the story.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 5:35PM

@morgandollar1878 said:
    Wow, almost $1k over spot, that is crazy.

That's an impressive amount of optimism for the mint.
    I'm going to give it 4 laughing smileys.

:D:D:D:D

• RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 5:50PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:

1. High Relief

And this one. So it's the 3rd $100 24k gold 1 ounce coin?
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-liberty-2019-high-relief-gold-coin-19DA.html

Edit. I'll correct myself. 4th $100 24k gold 1 ounce coin.
    Still available for sale: https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-liberty-225th-anniversary-gold-coin-17XA.html?navid=xsellpdp

@CoinMeister said:

@coinpalice said:

I don’t believe the buyer’s clubs were as prevalent back then. Also, the 2009 didn’t have a HHL. The price of gold was $860 an ounce then, meaning that the coins were initially selling for a 38 percent premium to their gold content.
    The 2009 was a mint state coin vs the 2021 is a proof coin. That said, the 2021 is still a rather expensive coin given current spot prices.

I hope the buyer's clubs buy these and get buried in them. They need to learn that the Mint isn't printing money...well, except literally. Not everything is flippable.

I've admitted to needing a 12-step program to get over my buying problem. [I just spent $700+ to buy a Q. David Bowers wall hanging that I'm not sure I even want!] I will not be anywhere near this.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just spitballing...

Is 12,500 a high mintage relatively speaking for a collector/bullion coin?

How many horses have appeared historically on US minted coins?

I don't know what they bought the bullion at but lets say its an $1000 gross margin. That is $12.5M, of which they have design, tooling, labor, packaging, marketing etc. So they will probably gross profit a few million. I don't think that is unreasonable. Remember they have to cover the unintended loser programs that always appear on the product schedule. And that is if they sell out in a reasonable amount of time.

Do modern collectors want low mintage high relief artistically aesthetic and well-designed higher premium mint bullion products or high mintage relatively plainly designed, low cost, low relief, low premium mint bullion products? Or both?

@fathom said:
    Remember they have to cover the unintended loser programs that always appear on the product schedule. And that is if they sell out in a reasonable amount of time.

the new mint director has put an end to that practice. thus the 4x price jump in bronze medals as an example.

Do modern collectors want low mintage high relief artistically aesthetic and well-designed higher premium mint bullion products or high mintage relatively plainly designed, low cost, low relief, low premium mint bullion products? Or both?

you give two choices?

do you want to your toes ripped off one-by-one or to be poisoned to death?

how about choice #3?

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

You got to love that design... Who was the rider that got bucked off! ?
    !!

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
    edited August 18, 2021 7:11PM

@fathom ,

_Just spitballing...

I don't know what they bought the bullion at but lets say its an $1000 gross margin. That is $12.5M, of which they have design, tooling, labor, packaging, marketing etc. So they will probably gross profit a few million. I don't think that is unreasonable. Remember they have to cover the unintended loser programs that always appear on the product schedule. And that is if they sell out in a reasonable amount of time.

Flag Quote · 1Agree
    Like LOL_

So true - but a good design and high relief cant be ignored. Price will spike, and people will remember the first Gold Buffalo, Deja Vu all over again.

Cant wait for the chaos at the usmint.gov site tomorrow... LOL

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carthage imagery?

Mr_Spud

@fathom said:
    Just spitballing...

You can't really call these "coins". For a lot of people, they are NCLT and are in a separate category that makes them undesirable. AGEs are more broadly collected and they don't sell 20,000 per year. 12,500 might be the right number, but the right number on an NCLT commemorative almost guarantees a drop in value. The only coins that have held value were under-minted and I don't think 12.500 would count. Do some research on previous modern gold commemorative coins and their prices. You will not be encouraged by the results.

Click on the program to see the breakdown by format:

https://www.usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/historical-commemorative-coin-sales

There's horses on Stone Mountain and on at least a couple different state quarters: Wyoming and Kentucky come to mind.

You can't really call these "coins". For a lot of people, they are NCLT and are in a separate category that makes them undesirable. AGEs are more broadly collected and they don't sell 20,000 per year. 12,500 might be the right number, but the right number on an NCLT commemorative almost guarantees a drop in value. The only coins that have held value were under-minted and I don't think 12.500 would count. Do some research on previous modern gold commemorative coins and their prices. You will not be encouraged by the results.

You got it. There is no such thing as scarcity - yet. becuase about 40% are going to get milk spots and improper storage will take care of most of the rest of them.

Collect the classics and key dates. Flipping and waiting for the coin to be discovered by the next gen is ludicrous.

That being said I really love that design. Better than some of cartoonish stuff the Mints been cranking out lately.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

sales/final mintage will be very low.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

gold coins do not get milk spots

@rooksmith said:

You got it. There is no such thing as scarcity - yet. becuase about 40% are going to get milk spots and improper storage will take care of most of the rest of them.

Collect the classics and key dates. Flipping and waiting for the coin to be discovered by the next gen is ludicrous.

That being said I really love that design. Better than some of cartoonish stuff the Mints been cranking out lately.

Gold coins don't get milk spots. And 0.9999 won't get copper spots either.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like this coin but at +$925 over melt I can't bring myself to buy one.
    I do feel sales will be low and it might be worth the premium in the end but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

I do feel sales will be low and it might be worth the premium in the end but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

When your lookin to sell, Ebay will literally be the only place where you'll recoup the most money from your initial investment, even after the fees. Local coin dealers and major bullion exchanges will be around melt, which is sad but that's the reality.

• BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭

It's a terrific looking coin...but it's just too expensive for my budget. I just can't pull the trigger.
    Prediction? I don't see this selling out.

BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

A tenth Oz version in a rope bezel would look soooooo good

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful design but I'm pretty much tapped out, I have to eat, well......... I could go a week without food. :)

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a sellout. There will be moderate sales, no confusion at the website.

Perhaps someone will find a 3-legged variety worth it's weight in gold!

• Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

I like the coin, but a $925 premium is too much for me. The US Mint is getting greedy.
    I don't like that the mint pulled a switch-a-roo with the reverse proof silver eagles either.
    Good luck to those that do buy it.

• Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

The US Mint expects to rake in $33,937,500 on this coin, wow!

@RMLTM79 said:

@GRANDAM said:

When your lookin to sell, Ebay will literally be the only place where you'll recoup the most money from your initial investment, even after the fees. Local coin dealers and major bullion exchanges will be around melt, which is sad but that's the reality.

If coin dealers are around melt, it is because the retail value is only a hundred bucks or so above melt. If there is a $925 premium, dealers will be paying well over spot. The problem is not the future wholesale price. The problem is the future retail price.

• InditonkaInditonka Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Great looking coin, would really like to have one but not at this price! Good luck to those that buy it, hopefully the price premium holds up!

• I actually don't like the design, looks garish to me. I guess that makes horse races (pun intended). :)

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I must be the odd man out. The obverse, to me, looks like it was designed by a Disney animator.

• DimeDorkDimeDork Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

@RMLTM79 said:

@GRANDAM said:

FWIW I got an email from Pinehurst offering $2865. Pretty high risk for $165 imho.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file