Comments

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin don’t like the price and I am very happy for you

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Burnie said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@sinbad22 said:
    Buy it, hold it and love it! Gold prices will creep much higher with all the money printing and world unrest, geopolitics. A good hedge against inflation and stock market/ economic slide. 12,000 mintage is pretty low…..

it would seem I know nothing about the market. This guy is telling me something. Look out the market is not something my pontificating or thoughts knows much about. Read the post it’s amazing. Seems like it is saying I don’t know squat and there’s some others in the same boat. I defer and stand corrected. $1000 is not outrageous premium. It’s a great investment ! It’s a good hedge against inflation and low mintage ! Got it!🥸

For someone who clearly does not like this coin, you sure post a lot about it 😄

Obviously, there are many people (including myself) that think that it's a beautiful looking coin, and for some collectors it's worth paying the premium. Not everyone buys for a quick flip.

But did you buy it going to make money when gold hits $3500? That's the post he was responding to.

You don't buy a 1916-D mercury dime for the silver content. You don't buy the $100 pony for the gold content. But you can buy either one to hold and love. That's the point.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. You can have yourself a specimen for $2822 over on the BST.
    Finally, someone stepped up to the equine plate.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • fathomfathom Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint's on a roll. Give credit where credit's due.

I like the looks of the coin, the lower mintage, craftmanship, solid perceived value here even with the higher premium.

• MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@CoinMeister said:

@coinpalice said:
    the 2009 high relief gold went on sale at the mint for 1,189 and those never sold out in minutes

I don’t believe the buyer’s clubs were as prevalent back then. Also, the 2009 didn’t have a HHL. The price of gold was $860 an ounce then, meaning that the coins were initially selling for a 38 percent premium to their gold content.
    The 2009 was a mint state coin vs the 2021 is a proof coin. That said, the 2021 is still a rather expensive coin given current spot prices.

I think there WAS an HHL. I just checked and I ordered one from each of my two mint accounts, so there was probably a limit of one, at least for the first days/weeks. I might have decided to buy another later in the year, but the price of gold was going up, and they got more expensive as the year wore on.

Annoying story...one came back as 69 and the other as 70. I lost my job a few months later, and during the gap before I got a new job, I ended up selling one at Long Beach. The dealer offered me $1600 for the 69 or $1900 for the 70. So I sold the 70. (oh, and the reason I needed money was that I lent a big chunk to a buddy who was, temporarily, in worse straits than me. And he paid me back MONTHS later than he promised)

I still have both boxes and books...

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2009 started with a HHL of 1

dunno when it was lifted.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • GuxiyouGuxiyou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Someone is definitely playing, as I'm seeing it as available still, not even as backlogged.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just checked, it says unavailable at the moment.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm waiting for one of these as a silver medal.

I don't know what to say, I still see it. And yes, I refreshed

@Onastone said:
    I'm waiting for one of these as a silver medal.

I'd definitely have bought it in silver.

@Guxiyou said:
    I don't know what to say, I still see it. And yes, I refreshed

You appear to be the only one. It shows unavailable for me.

edited August 20, 2021 6:04PM

Huh. Too bad I don't want to buy one, I apparently have an exclusive deal from the mint. Likely to make up for the phone debacle they put me through ;-)

Also, seems like this and the overselling could be related.....

edited August 20, 2021 6:34PM

Gave into curiosity and tried to add it and check out. It lets me get all the way to final review, then when I click submit it just bounces me back without any error. So, definitely me, but super weird.

• CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

@Guxiyou said:
    Gave into curiosity and tried to add it and check out. It lets me get all the way to final review, then when I click submit it just bounces me back without any error. So, definitely me, but super weird.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Don’t buy price, buy the design!

Tony Rose
  • This design is spectacular…great Job us mint…..

Tony Rose
  • HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2021 7:52PM

This bunny may still have some life in it yet...

With each reported availability post, it appears the bunny might just be on life-support somehow.

But soon, I foresee, the Doctor will make the final call and pull the plug for good...on this bunny (i.e. Horse)

BST references available on request

• HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2021 7:50PM

I really liked this coin. I probably would have been a buyer at $2,200. I just couldn’t justify the price tag.

@sinbad22 said:
    Don’t buy price, buy the design!

Sure, because money is no object and price is irrelevant.

The trolls always come out on the weekend.

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@sinbad22 said:

Hey, heads up, for some people, money IS no object and price IS irrelevant. This is a hobby, not investment strategy class 101

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

@dtkk49a said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@sinbad22 said:

Hey, heads up, for some people, money IS no object and price IS irrelevant. This is a hobby, not investment strategy class 101

For NO ONE except Jeff Bezos is money no object and price is always relevant. You would not pay $1 million for a 1989 Lincoln cent, no matter how beautiful and no matter how much you love Lincoln cents. Don't be obtuse. It has nothing to do with hobby versus profit center. No one pays 100x price guide and every one has limited resources.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 9:27AM

I am not so sure it is the weekend as much as it is the seagulls will be with us through the two coin release in sept. I even saw basement boy came back…not a coincidence

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 5:25PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@dtkk49a said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@sinbad22 said:

For NO ONE except Jeff Bezos is money no object and price is always relevant. You would not pay $1 million for a 1989 Lincoln cent, no matter how beautiful and no matter how much you love Lincoln cents. Don't be obtuse. It has nothing to do with hobby versus profit center. No one pays 100x price guide and every one has limited resources.

What's your malfunction man? Jeff Bezos only one with unlimited money? Your sorely mistaken. And what exactly do you want the mint to charge for this coin? I agree that 50% over spot is ridiculous but you make it sound like it's the absolute worst purchase in the world. $1 million for a 1989 Lincoln cent is hardly the same as $2700 for 1 ounce of gold. Not trying to give you a hard time but most of your comments sound angry.

Come on

Isn’t $2700 100x guide??

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@RMLTM79 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dtkk49a said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@sinbad22 said:

What's your malfunction man? Jeff Bezos only one with unlimited money? Your sorely mistaken. And what exactly do you want the mint to charge for this coin? I agree that 50% over spot is ridiculous but you make it sound like it's the absolute worst purchase in the world. $1 million for a 1989 Lincoln cent is hardly the same as $2700 for 1 ounce of gold. Not trying to give you a hard time but most of your comments sound angry.

Not at all. I don't care who buys it at $2700 or $27,000. But it is simply blowing smoke to say that price doesn't matter to a collector. Price is always part of the equation.

I'm not "angry" but it's a little frustrating for people to justify the price because they are "collectors" as though collectors don't care about price. If $2700 or $5400 works for you, buy it. But let's not pretend that they're isn't a number at which you wouldn't buy it no matter how beautiful it is. For me, $2700 is too much even though I really like the design.

It doesn’t matter RMLTM. Rich or poor ignorance is not particular about money. Wasteful spending is wasteful spending. If Jeff spends it or me a poor deal is a poor deal. Period. $1000 premium is crazy! That being said stupid is as stupid does🤓

Oh man

Do not go calling people crazy or stupid or ignorant.

You’re flirting with the rules

@RMLTM79 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dtkk49a said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@sinbad22 said:

P.S. unless you are Jeff Bezos, $2700 spent here is $2700 not available to buy a different coin. Collectors make that judgment more frequently than dealers. Not the other way around. For a dealer, you spend money to make money. A collector spends money to fill the SDB. Unless you are Bezos or similarly uber-rich, a collector looks at that coin and says, "do I want the gold pony at $2700 or the Proof Walker, cuz I can't afford both?" I think it is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

[Apologies if you are uber-rich, I am available for adoption. ]

@jmlanzaf said:

@RMLTM79 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dtkk49a said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@sinbad22 said:

Not at all. I don't care who buys it at $2700 or $27,000. But it is simply blowing smoke to say that price doesn't matter to a collector. Price is always part of the equation.

I'm not "angry" but it's a little frustrating for people to justify the price because they are "collectors" as though collectors don't care about price. If $2700 or $5400 works for you, buy it. But let's not pretend that they're isn't a number at which you wouldn't buy it no matter how beautiful it is. For me, $2700 is too much even though I really like the design.

Sounds fair, can't argue with that. $2,700 is also too much for me which is why I didn't buy it even though I really wanted it. I actually almost pulled the trigger. I tried to justify it to myself as well (life's short, buy what you like, hold and enjoy it, blah blah). But I just couldn't do it. They way I think about it, it's a beautiful coin, original issue price is too much but if it makes someone happy to own it then it's worth it. Actually this coin will have way more value than the 2021 Buffalo which is only $25 cheaper. And it's not a instant $1,000 loss unless you wholesale to a local dealer. Ebay is the only place to recoup the most initial investment this piece because prices there will always be strong for it.

@RMLTM79 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@RMLTM79 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dtkk49a said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@sinbad22 said:

Sounds fair, can't argue with that. $2,700 is also too much for me which is why I didn't buy it even though I really wanted it. I actually almost pulled the trigger. I tried to justify it to myself as well (life's short, buy what you like, hold and enjoy it, blah blah). But I just couldn't do it. They way I think about it, it's a beautiful coin, original issue price is too much but if it makes someone happy to own it then it's worth it. Actually this coin will have way more value than the 2021 Buffalo which is only $25 cheaper. And it's not a instant $1,000 loss unless you wholesale to a local dealer. Ebay is the only place to recoup the most initial investment this piece because prices there will always be strong for it.

That's all I was trying to say. I'm sorry if I sounded angry.

That is one of my favorite modern designs, but I just couldn't justify it.

edited August 21, 2021 6:07PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@RMLTM79 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@RMLTM79 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dtkk49a said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@sinbad22 said:

That's all I was trying to say. I'm sorry if I sounded angry.

That is one of my favorite modern designs, but I just couldn't justify it.

All good man. Like you said price does matter and for this one I too couldn't justify it. Will $2700 break me, not at all, but it's a loser deal right off the bat and I couldn't live with that. If I could break even on it if and when it's time to sell I would have snapped it up.

Edit: I apologize for opening the can on a sensitive/controversial subject. In short, people work hard for their money and they can spend it as they feel fit, good or bad deal :smile:

edited August 21, 2021 6:38PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    Oh man

Do not go calling people crazy or stupid or ignorant.

You’re flirting with the rules

I called $1000 crazy
    Stupid is as stupid does (F.Gump)
    I could be wrong but I tried to be very careful Not to call anyone here stupid. $1000 premium is?
    I may be wrong and if anyone is hurt I am truly sorry 😞

Loser?

Don’t all coins need love?

Some are gimmes — anything with a V75 — I still would say buy what you like. Do AGE collectors look at future resale?

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 7:56PM

This is a unique Mint coin.
    I love it. It’s beautiful. As others have said, one of the better.
    Still, I am not in the mood to buy it right now. I think it is rare that this forums long-haulers fall behind that view. Particularly with the hysteria around other issues this year. Even with the perceived low mintage.
    I appreciate the debate. I noticed many of the passionate newbies fell off the Horse once they realized it wasn’t going to be a quick and advantageous flip. I would imagine quite a few of them called the Mint to cancel. That is good news. Many of the respected strong hands here decided they can wait. The weak hands most likely folded. Maybe at a loss.
    It is NOT future resale I’m concerned about. It’s paying too much to buy, initially. It would’ve left a bad taste in my mouth to buy now. I will be patient. Or without. Either way, I trust my judgment.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 6:46PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    Loser?

Some are gimmes — anything with a V75 — I still would say buy what you like. Do AGE collectors look at future resale?

True collectors will buy what they collect, and future resale is not likely their top priority. The Mint price premium is fairly high on all proofs, and I don't see that changing.

I do think this $100 coin will look very nice in Proof DCAM, so I may get a TrueView of mine if it does not have any obvious flaws.

If you don't like the horse, turn it over and buy the eagle. That is what I do with a lot of my First Spouse coins, and then the set is actually quite attractive and very low mintage.

@Goldminers said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    Loser?

True collectors will buy what they collect, and future resale is not likely their top priority. The Mint price premium is fairly high on all proofs, and I don't see that changing.

I do think this $100 coin will look very nice in Proof DCAM, so I may get a TrueView of mine if it does not have any obvious flaws.

If you don't like the horse, turn it over and buy the eagle. That is what I do with a lot of my First Spouse coins, and then the set is actually quite attractive and very low

Gee, don't let the Mint hear that "true collectors" don't care about price. Clearly, a true collector would pay $8000 for this coin. The Mint can raise their premiums again.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    Loser?

If you don't like the horse, turn it over and buy the eagle. That is what I do with a lot of my First Spouse coins, and then the set is actually quite attractive and very low

Gee, don't let the Mint hear that "true collectors" don't care about price. Clearly, a true collector would pay $8000 for this coin. The Mint can raise their premiums again.

Sarcasm noted ;) A true collector would know $8,000 is a BS price and would wait for reality to set in, but they would still buy it at some point when the price comes down. No one said collectors don't do their due diligence and determine the right price they want to pay for their collection. Future resale may not be a top priority, like rarity or condition might be, but it is still a factor.

The 2021 Buffalo proof is $2,690 (Unlimited mintage), the Type 2 one ounce eagle proof is $2,650 (15,875 mintage), this is $2,715 (12,500 mintage), but it is also a $100 high relief proof. So yes, it costs a few extra dollars for those who want to pay for a rather unusual design.

On a percentage basis this coin is a better buy IMO compared with future precious metal value, than all those 200,000+ silver eagles being sold for $75 or flips for $120+, when silver is $23.12 today.

• MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

I don't like the eagle on the reverse. Otherwise I would TOTALLY have bought this coin. Well, OK, I'm also short by about $2600... ;)

Occasionally successful coin collector.
    edited August 23, 2021 5:11AM

Edited to say this coin really should have been minted in Denver.

If I’m not mistaken, the sale price of a nclt includes the FV. A $1,000 FV would add $900 to the price. Then, if the evil price manipulators figure how to get gold to $400 again, these would be spendable. I don’t think that’s in the plan

• meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

I would have bought a silver version. The premium % wise would have been higher.

• micotumicotu Posts: 58 ✭✭

The price seems about right. Could have been a bit higher. Why do I say that? They didn't sell out in 20 minutes. They sold out in 24+ hours. As much as people complain on here about bots and flippers making it hard to buy coins from the mint, this coin is a perfect example of how to fix that problem.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

The solution is to price items a grand over spot…I guess that is one solution

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s my latest thinking. I could have had one within the first 30 seconds but I would be one of the first to get one and I would have had to live with the results. So I have nothing to lose by placing a back order this morning expected to be delivered November 11. Now I can watch it play out and if I don’t like what I see I have plenty of time to cancel.

@Mgarmy said:
    The solution is to price items a grand over spot…I guess that is one solution

I'll say it again: auction new offerings. When priced correctly, they will sell correctly

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    It doesn’t matter RMLTM. Rich or poor ignorance is not particular about money. Wasteful spending is wasteful spending. If Jeff spends it or me a poor deal is a poor deal. Period. $1000 premium is crazy! That being said stupid is as stupid does🤓

The coin sold out in 15 minutes. I guess there are a lot of stupid people out there.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

@dtkk49a said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

The coin sold out in 15 minutes. I guess there are a lot of stupid people out there.

Wow sorry I missed that! I was busy here on 🌎. I’m thankful that I was here on earth because it took a lot longer, let me see earth time vs. what ever time zone your in. 15 minutes your time zone oh yah it took well over 24 hours sooo let’s see 24 + hrs. divided by 15 minutes oh I give up. My point is that if you were here you could have actually gotten one pretty dang easily. Thanks again sorry to hear about that rapid sell out 🤓🙀

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file