Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****** Official 2021 One-tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set (21XK)****

HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 9, 2021 6:59AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This product will be limited to 5,000, meaning most of us won’t get one. But we’ve come to understand that there is power in our numbers. Please email the Mint and request that they increase the mintage. It worked for the HHL of the Morgan’s, and maybe it can make a difference here, too.
U.S. Mint email: us mint-support@usmcatalog.com

Here’s a new link thanks to Hattrick
https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2021-one-tenth-ounce-gold-two-coin-set-designer-edition-21XK.html?cgid=2021-product-schedule

Comments

• Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

If we are talking about exceeding mintage limits, I didn’t realize exceeded the mintage limit by a considerable amount for the 2019 Palladium reverse proof. I would be pretty upset if I bought one of these coins and the mint exceeded the mintage limit by that amount.

19EK 2019 1-oz. APaE $25 Rev. PF Coin 18,380 18,399 19 Mintage limit 15,000

http://news.coinupdate.com/u-s-mint-sales-report-week-ending-may-2-2021/

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

21XK = just like gold 75th WW2 fun

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

@jerseyralph said:
    If we are talking about exceeding mintage limits, I didn’t realize exceeded the mintage limit by a considerable amount for the 2019 Palladium reverse proof. I would be pretty upset if I bought one of these coins and the mint exceeded the mintage limit by that amount.

19EK 2019 1-oz. APaE $25 Rev. PF Coin 18,380 18,399 19 Mintage limit 15,000

http://news.coinupdate.com/u-s-mint-sales-report-week-ending-may-2-2021/

On the usmint website, it says 30,000 mintage limit. I guess the list has an error.

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseyralph said:

On the usmint website, it says 30,000 mintage limit. I guess the list has an error.

Agree.

It appears that 'Coin Update' lists the wrong mintage limit.

Product Page at the Mint says 30,000. (It is still available, if anyone is interested.)
    Press Release from Mint prior to initial sale also says 30,000.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these 1/10 oz 2 coin sets the same finish as the other 1/10 oz coins? If so I see no big deal on the packaging.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

Something not right with the numbers here. Product number 21EEN the single new 1/10 oz coin shows mintage of 20,250 and product limit of 10,000. Product 21 EFN the four coin set has a product limit of 10,250. So where are the 5,000 (or any) for 21XK? The mint site doesn't currently show any product limit for this item.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Are these 1/10 oz 2 coin sets the same finish as the other 1/10 oz coins? If so I see no big deal on the packaging.

No, they can't be, because mintage limits will be met with other products.

• Options

@smuglr said:
    Something not right with the numbers here. Product number 21EEN the single new 1/10 oz coin shows mintage of 20,250 and product limit of 10,000. Product 21 EFN the four coin set has a product limit of 10,250. So where are the 5,000 (or any) for 21XK? The mint site doesn't currently show any product limit for this item.

It will not be the same proof finish. Reverse proof? Who knows? Email the mint!!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the 'product limit' of 5000 only applied to the two coin set....not the mintage limit. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    I thought the 'product limit' of 5000 only applied to the two coin set....not the mintage limit. Cheers, RickO

The Mint ‘product page’ for 21XK says "American Eagle 2021 One-Tenth Ounce Gold Proof Two-Coin Set”. This implies a proof finish, just like the T2, 0.10 oz. coins in 21EFN and 21EEN.

However, a standard proof finish on a T2, 0.10 oz. coin in 21XK would violate the Mint’s published 'mintage limits' for the T2, 0.10 oz. coin in proof.
    10,250 - 'Product Limit' of T2, 0.10 oz. coins in four-coin set (21EFN)
    Plus
    10,000 - ‘Product Limit’ of T2, 0.10 oz. individual coins (21EEN)
    Equals
    20,250 ‘Mintage Limit’ of T2, 0.10 oz. coins published on 21EEN ‘product page’

The entire ‘mintage limit’ of T2, 0.10 oz. Proof American Eagle coins are already allocated to 21EFN and 21EEN. If the 'mintage limit' of 20,250 is correct, this suggests that the coins included in 21XK will NOT be standard proof.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 11:40AM

As a theory, I had already posted this before concerning the 2021 Proof new designs. The OP post of the Mint brochure also references the new obverse detail is closer to the original.

"Legacy details have been restored for the obverse design to include modifications to the Capitol Building, stars, torch, sun rays, and other design elements based on the original bronze cast."

So, the Mint could use the new improved obverse design dies, with the old Type I reverse dies. That would mean it could be a regular proof, but a "designer" version obverse. Then the 5,000 more would be possible, as it is technically a different improved proof design.

Of course the type 2 mintages are a problem, unless something else evolves like the original designer initials locations or something along those lines. Usually when they say proof, they mean proof.

• Options

Somewhere there could also be some fine print that says "The Mint reserves the right to change it's mind on future mintages before sales begin."

If they can change household limits, why not future mintage estimates?

I am curious as to why the actual 2-piece set details are such a secret.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    As a theory, I had already posted this before concerning the 2021 Proof new designs. The OP post of the Mint brochure also references the new obverse detail is closer to the original.

"Legacy details have been restored for the obverse design to include modifications to the Capitol Building, stars, torch, sun rays, and other design elements based on the original bronze cast."

So, the Mint could use the new improved obverse design dies, with the old Type I reverse dies. That would mean it could be a regular proof, but a "designer" version obverse. Then the 5,000 more would be possible, as it is technically a different improved proof design.

Of course the type 2 mintages are a problem, unless something else evolves like the original designer initials locations or something along those lines. Usually when they say proof, they mean proof.

I remember your original post in the now-closed thread. :)

At this point, we do not know for sure. So, your theoretical scenario is certainly possible.

FWIW, the Mint press release regarding the T2 designs contained the following passage:
    "The obverses (heads) of the redesigned American Eagle Gold and Silver Coins will continue to bear versions of the historic designs that have been featured on these coins for more than three decades. The gold coin obverse will display a refreshed depiction of the 1907 design by renowned sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, while the obverse of the silver coin will display a refreshed depiction of the 1916 “Walking Liberty” design by famed sculptor Adolph A. Weinman."
    Link

I believe that your "legacy details" are the "refreshed depiction" that were always supposed to be part of the new T2 design. Now, we just have more specificity.

• Options

@Halfpence said:

It will not be the same proof finish. Reverse proof? Who knows? Email the mint!!!

Good idea.

Done.

When, and if, I get a good answer, I will post it here.

• Options

@MetroD said:

@Halfpence said:

Good idea.

Done.

The Mint responded.

"We regret the confusion. Please click on the following link to view the American Eagle 2021 One-Tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set Designer Edition. The product description states that it is a proof coin. The 2021 American Eagle One Tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set Designer Edition contains one original and one newly re-designed American Eagle One-Tenth Ounce Gold Proof Coin, a unique set for the serious collector. Each one-tenth ounce gold proof coin is struck in 22-karat gold and exquisitely crafted.

In addition, please click on the following links for The History of the American Eagle Gold Coin and Redesigning the American Eagle Gold and Silver Coins."

Please see the 'product page' for 21XK. It appears that the Mint has resolved the 'mintage limit' issue by creating a separate 'mintage limit' of 5,000 specifically for the two-coin set.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

insanity

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

The Mint's product page for this set is up on the Schedule.
    It's disappointing that the "Designer" part of the description refers to the packaging. Yawn.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

There will be nothing special about this set because the coins are just regular proofs.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2021 5:31AM

mintage limit includes all products/packaging. of identical coins.
    product limit includes just a single product and its packaging. A product may appear in multiple forms of packaging with it's total appearances limited by its total mintage.

Only advantage of a two coin set is the special mint packaging and any special label TPGs offer for a submitted set, likely required to remain mint sealed when submitted.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marketing strategy for perceived rarity by pairing the old and new design.

Old 1/10 oz. design total mintage: 16,200

New 1/10 oz. design total mintage: 20,250

U.S. Mint/resellers could also do the paring for 1/4 oz., 1/2oz., 1 oz. or the entire gold set as a marketing strategy (i.e. limited 25 pairs of 1 oz. gold old and new design).

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

2/10 of an ounce of gold. Nothing more worth getting excited about. Just another quickly forgotten marketing/packaging gimmick.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2021 6:50AM

Halfpence,

Post the above mint web page to the beginning of your thread if you know how to. I do not know how to do it.

With the numbered & some signed COA s it will be a real winner.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t care if they raise the limit or not figure out how to make it fair for everyone. I say a lottery. I know there are ways to game the lottery but at least I don’t have to beat my brains out trying to get one.

• Options

God bless America. Land of the free and home of the Capitalist ! :D

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I don’t care if they raise the limit or not figure out how to make it fair for everyone. I say a lottery. I know there are ways to game the lottery but at least I don’t have to beat my brains out trying to get one.

Your saying they should force these sets on people that have no interest in them or desire to purchase them. As a long time mint customer I would be very upset if my account was select for this set.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

@JimTyler said:

Your saying they should force these sets on people that have no interest in them or desire to purchase them. As a long time mint customer I would be very upset if my account was select for this set.

That's not what he's saying. You have to enter the lottery to win.

• Options

I prefer shiny silver coins, however if I am lucky enough to score one of these coin sets I will flip it to
    support my habit.

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

For those buying (or considering to buy), this might change the dynamic:
    -These products will include a limited quantity of hand signed Certificates of Authenticity (COA) by the Director of the Mint.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would imagine the assumption is that they would have their new ordering system up by that time because this is going to be a cluster fun! Get in line!
    Gnashing of teeth and angst is required.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@CoinMeister said:
    -These products will include a limited quantity of hand signed Certificates of Authenticity (COA) by the Director of the Mint.

I think you're right.
    Thing is, who cares about the Director's signature? I know, it adds to rarity, but it's like the scarlet letter "A" on your COA if you ask me.

• Options

@Halfpence said:

@CoinMeister said:

I think you're right.
    Thing is, who cares about the Director's signature? I know, it adds to rarity, but it's like the scarlet letter "A" on your COA if you ask me.

People do, although I agree with you: I can't figure out why anyone would care.

• Options

The holy grail, but too bad I already got one.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2021 10:44AM

@MetroD said:

@MetroD said:

@Halfpence said:

Good idea.

Done.

The Mint responded.

"We regret the confusion. Please click on the following link to view the American Eagle 2021 One-Tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set Designer Edition. The product description states that it is a proof coin. The 2021 American Eagle One Tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set Designer Edition contains one original and one newly re-designed American Eagle One-Tenth Ounce Gold Proof Coin, a unique set for the serious collector. Each one-tenth ounce gold proof coin is struck in 22-karat gold and exquisitely crafted.

In addition, please click on the following links for The History of the American Eagle Gold Coin and Redesigning the American Eagle Gold and Silver Coins."

Please see the 'product page' for 21XK. It appears that the Mint has resolved the 'mintage limit' issue by creating a separate 'mintage limit' of 5,000 specifically for the two-coin set.

Isn't this defeating the whole point of "Mintage Limits" vs "Product Limits"...
    You can't just add a new product that has its own Mintage Limit!

Are we certain these are the same exact coins?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

the set in uncirc. Ws would have been the cat's meow.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@djm said:

@JimTyler said:

How would people enter this lottery? Remember entries would need to be within the limits of the current infrastructure.

• Options
    edited June 9, 2021 3:01PM

@nurmaler said:

No, I am not certain. Simply sharing the e-mail that the Mint sent to me on 5/24/21 when I inquired about this issue. Their response is in "quotes". For the record, I added the bold to highlight the salient passage.

That said, I agree with your point about "Mintage Limits" and "Product Limits". :)

Moving on to more recent information, the updated 'product page' for 21XK says:
    ~ "This stunning two-coin gold proof designer edition set contains a one-tenth ounce coin with the last of the original American Eagle Gold Coin designs and one with the first of the new designs."
    ~ "The 2021 American Eagle One Tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set Designer Edition contains one original and one newly re-designed American Eagle One-Tenth Ounce Gold Proof Coin, a unique set for the serious collector."
    Reference

I, personally, interpret this to mean a set with a 21EE (original design), and a 21EEN (new design). This, however, is just my interpretation. IOW, I could be mis-reading the 'product page'.

Edited to Add:
    I am conflicted on this issue.

On one hand, I understand your point. If 21XK was simply 21EE & 21EEN, the published "mintage limits" for 21EE & 21EEN would appear to be in jeopardy.

This suggests that 21XK will not be 21EE & 21EEN.

On the other hand, I:
    ~ read the 05/24/21 e-mail from the Mint to me, which is posted above. It states: "The 2021 American Eagle One Tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set Designer Edition contains one original and one newly re-designed American Eagle One-Tenth Ounce Gold Proof Coin";
    ~ read the 'product page' for 21XK at the Mint website. It states: "This stunning two-coin gold proof designer edition set contains a one-tenth ounce coin with the last of the original American Eagle Gold Coin designs and one with the first of the new designs."
    ~ read the 'product page' for 21XK at the mInt website. As far as I can tell, it does not highlight any unique features of the coins in 21XK. One would think that if the Mint was planning to include coins with unique features in 21XK that they would explicitly detail them on the 'product page'.
    ~ spoke with CS on 06/09/21. FWIW, the rep specifically told me that the coins in 21XK would be 21EE & 21EEN.

These observations suggest that 21XK will be 21EE & 21EEN with extras (e.g., serialized COAs, some signed).

Hopefully someone more 'knowledgable/informed' that me will 'weigh in', and clarify the issue.

• Options

@djm said:

@JimTyler said:

Of course not. You sign up for lottery. You don’t sign up you don’t have a chance. Feel better now ?

• Options

@djm said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@djm said:

@JimTyler said:

How would people enter this lottery? Remember entries would need to be within the limits of the current infrastructure.

Just needs to be a box on the website or even a $0 item to "purchase". Or just log in to enter the lottery. Other Mints have done it.

I'm not a fan of the lottery because it just moves the problem and actually makes it easier for the bots and dedicated people. I can create hundreds of email addresses and accounts. It is harder to have that many different credit cards and addresses. But, with a lottery, I wouldn't have to work in the credit card until I won a place in line.

I mean, if you had a 2 week lottery window or something, imagine how many millions of entries people would manage to squeeze in.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@djm said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@djm said:

@JimTyler said:

Just needs to be a box on the website or even a $0 item to "purchase". Or just log in to enter the lottery. Other Mints have done it.

I'm not a fan of the lottery because it just moves the problem and actually makes it easier for the bots and dedicated people. I can create hundreds of email addresses and accounts. It is harder to have that many different credit cards and addresses. But, with a lottery, I wouldn't have to work in the credit card until I won a place in line.

I mean, if you had a 2 week lottery window or something, imagine how many millions of entries people would manage to squeeze in.

Well what they’re doing now ain’t working.

• Options

@nurmaler said:

@MetroD said:

@MetroD said:

@Halfpence said:

Good idea.

Done.

The Mint responded.

If you don't understand it, do you think we do? LOL.

I looked hard and I can't see a difference. They are designated as W mint proofs. Could they be no W West Point proofs? The description seems to say they have a "W" but unless there is a difference, they just made a mockery of their entire mintage limits.

I think I would be pissed if I bought one of the early tenth ounce coins just to have 5000 more added later. I mean that's 30% more coins than the advertised mintage limit of the Type 1's.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@djm said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@djm said:

@JimTyler said:

Well what they’re doing now ain’t working.

Depends. As @MasonG has said, the problem is that people want things that are incompatible. They've created hype, sold out issues, and secondary market value. But if you make it easy to get the coins, you probably lose all 3 of those things which will make some people happy but make a lot of other people very unhappy given the numismatic premium on the release.

If there were a lottery and 90% of us didn't get a coin but knew it before release, would anyone here by happier?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@nurmaler said:

@MetroD said:

@MetroD said:

@Halfpence said:

Good idea.

Done.

The Mint responded.

If you don't understand it, do you think we do? LOL.

I looked hard and I can't see a difference. They are designated as W mint proofs. Could they be no W West Point proofs? The description seems to say they have a "W" but unless there is a difference, they just made a mockery of their entire mintage limits.

I think I would be pissed if I bought one of the early tenth ounce coins just to have 5000 more added later. I mean that's 30% more coins than the advertised mintage limit of the Type 1's.

Agree. What the heck is going on at the Mint? These issues aren’t that hard to catch and fix. Is no one paying attention?

On the other hand, if I don’t score one of these, I’ll be glad I bought a type 1 proof 1/10 oz. I could just put together my own set with a type 2 1/10 oz.

• Options

“People”

Good thing I am a singular person. I definitely don’t fit into the “people” category

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure our host will have a special label that you will qualify for if sent unopened box

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    “People”

Good thing I am a singular person. I definitely don’t fit into the “people” category

You and a friend.

• Options
    edited June 10, 2021 12:01AM

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    “People”

You and a friend.

That only happens on Star Trek

• Options

I think I figured the differences between this type 1 and the previously offered type 1 coin. See below from the Mint's website:

"The 2021 obverse design on the new coin features the same Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ full- length figure of Liberty with flowing hair. For the 2021 coin, the United States Mint returned to its original historical assets in 2020 to render a closer reflection of Saint-Gaudens’ original vision and detail."

See below pics of the two obverses. There are slight differences. The differences are easier to see if you toggle between the two images on the Mint's website.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file