Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****** Official 2021 One-tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set (21XK)****

Comments

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures on the Mint's website shows the same Type 1 obverse that was previously sold as being the same Type 1 obverse in the 2021 two coin 1/10 oz. American Gold Proof.

I will agree that the obverse between the Type 1 and Type 2 are different.

The Mint's pictures may be incorrect, however, I assume that the Type 1 obverse that we've previously seen is the same in the two coin set...

I wish there were not. I assume they are...

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halfpence said:
    I think I figured the differences between this type 1 and the previously offered type 1 coin. See below from the Mint's website:

"The 2021 obverse design on the new coin features the same Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ full- length figure of Liberty with flowing hair. For the 2021 coin, the United States Mint returned to its original historical assets in 2020 to render a closer reflection of Saint-Gaudens’ original vision and detail."

See below pics of the two obverses. There are slight differences. The differences are easier to see if you toggle between the two images on the Mint's website.

The Mint also changed the obverses as part of the transition from from T1 to T2.

"The obverses (heads) of the redesigned American Eagle Gold and Silver Coins will continue to bear versions of the historic designs that have been featured on these coins for more than three decades. The gold coin obverse will display a refreshed depiction of the 1907 design by renowned sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens, while the obverse of the silver coin will display a refreshed depiction of the 1916 “Walking Liberty” design by famed sculptor Adolph A. Weinman."
    Source: https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/united-states-mint-unveils-new-american-eagle-gold-and-silver-coin-reverse-designs

"Legacy details have been restored for the obverse design to include modifications to the Capitol Building, stars, torch, sun rays, and other design elements based on the original bronze cast."
    Source: https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2021-one-tenth-ounce-gold-proof-coin-21EEN.html?cgid=2021-product-schedule

I think that what you are seeing is the expected difference between the T1 and T2 versions of the obverse.

A 'Coin World' article that details the difference between the two obverses can be found here.

• Options
    Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2021 5:35PM

@Halfpence said:
    Ah, thank you for the clarification.

I chatted with the Mint this morning, and when I asked about the increase in mintage for the 2021 type 1 proof 1/10 oz by 5,000, they disconnected with me.

If I recall there was was a product limit of 8000 and mintage of 16,200 I don’t think that has changed has it?
    Link to thread when released
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1053594/the-official-american-eagle-2021-gold-proof-coin-s-thread-mint-hi-res-images-posted/p1
    EDITED to add link.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Danno44 said:

@Halfpence said:

I chatted with the Mint this morning, and when I asked about the increase in mintage for the 2021 type 1 proof 1/10 oz by 5,000, they disconnected with me.

If I recall there was was a product limit of 8000 and mintage of 16,200 I don’t think that has changed has it?

No, but they sitar to be striking 21,200 coins

8000 singles already sold, 8200 four piece sets already sold, and 5000 upcoming in the 2 piece set.

• Options
    Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Danno44 said:

@Halfpence said:

No, but they sitar to be striking 21,200 coins

8000 singles already sold, 8200 four piece sets already sold, and 5000 upcoming in the 2 piece set.

Ah...sorry for my confusion.

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

New article on these coins, confirming what we all knew about the mintage. The Mint still has not updated the mintage on their website.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/one-tenth-ounce-coins-offered-in-two-coin-gold-set?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Lyris&utm_campaign=Weekly

• Options
    DeloreanDelorean Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    Are these 1/10 oz 2 coin sets the same finish as the other 1/10 oz coins? If so I see no big deal on the packaging.

They said the same thing about the 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Sets, that half ounce Buffalo sold out and these babies flew off the shelves, for a week, then the Mint pulled them. I got my set for $1,028 SCORE!😊

Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Delorean said:

@GRANDAM said:
    Are these 1/10 oz 2 coin sets the same finish as the other 1/10 oz coins? If so I see no big deal on the packaging.

They said the same thing about the 8-8-08 Double Prosperity Sets, that half ounce Buffalo sold out and these babies flew off the shelves, for a week, then the Mint pulled them. I got my set for $1,028 SCORE!😊

I had one of those sets also,,,,,, sold it but don’t remember what I got for it.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    DeloreanDelorean Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

I was extremely lucky on that set, I still have it too.

Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • Options
    RedSealsRedSeals Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to try for this one, have some friends trying also.

In case I don't get one in the almost certain crapshoot tomorrow at noon - any guesses on what dealers will be paying over mint price/selling for retail?

I dont think I've seen advertised buy/sell prices.

Successful BST Transactions with: PerryHall, MrSlider, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Blu62vette, robkool, gowithmygut, coinlieutenant, Downtown1974, MilesWaits, Shrub68, justindan

• Options
    originalsandmanoriginalsandman Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Shouldnt it be showing the price by now since it goes on sale tomorrow?

• Options

@originalsandman said:

The price will be $645.00

The United States Mint will publish the price a little after 2:00 ET...

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen any buy offers yet for this one. I'll pass unless I see one before it goes on sale.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the capitol mint usually sends me buy offers day of realease

• Options

@RedSeals said:

In case I don't get one in the almost certain crapshoot tomorrow at noon - any guesses on what dealers will be paying over mint price/selling for retail?

There's not guarantee that dealers want any part of this. The only option is to grade them. You then have to get enough 70s and hope there are enough people that want to pay $800 to $1000 for set with a label difference to make it worthwhile. The price points on this are too high to make them very profitable.

I'll pay $550 per set, if anyone wants to lock in. ;)

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    I prefer shiny silver coins, however if I am lucky enough to score one of these coin sets I will flip it to
    support my habit.

"shiny silver coins" get milky spots over time.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I thought the 'product limit' of 5000 only applied to the two coin set....not the mintage limit. Cheers, RickO

That's what I thought as well.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

@Raufus said:

@ricko said:
    I thought the 'product limit' of 5000 only applied to the two coin set....not the mintage limit. Cheers, RickO

That's what I thought as well.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I do not understand this concept.

If the T2 coin in 21XK is the same as the one in 21EFN and 21EEN, why wouldn't the 5,000 units associated with 21XK be included in the "mintage limit"?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

If the T2 coin in 21XK is the same as the one in 21EFN and 21EEN, why wouldn't the 5,000 units associated with 21XK be included in the "mintage limit"?

no one knows.

mint math?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

$50 will barely cover shipping and insurance.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    no one knows.

mint math?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I appreciate the sanity check. :)

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    $50 will barely cover shipping and insurance.

Paying $50 Over Mint Issue Price Per Two-Coin Set, Plus A Free, Fully Insured Shipping Label!

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Pinehurst just sent email…$50 bucks over price. Pass

Pass on selling it to Pinehurst or buying it at all?

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@RedSeals said:

There's not guarantee that dealers want any part of this. The only option is to grade them. You then have to get enough 70s and hope there are enough people that want to pay $800 to $1000 for set with a label difference to make it worthwhile. The price points on this are too high to make them very profitable.

Do I get a kiss first ?

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@RedSeals said:

Do I get a kiss first ?

Hey, that's $190 over melt.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only difference is the packaging and chance at a signed COA. Unless, they planned on unveiling a secret enhanced proof that will make these sets very exclusive. Chances of a sellout is 100% with perhaps a lucky few that get one early in the morning.

• Options
    Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@originalsandman said:

Price is officially listed as $645.

• Options

@NYCMint said:

@Mgarmy said:

I'm not buying... and I buy everything. Lol

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Passing entirely. Gonna go all in on the peace and two coin ASE which I am afraid they are going to count as the true end of type 1

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Passing entirely. Gonna go all in on the peace and two coin ASE which I am afraid they are going to count as the true end of type 1

Until the 25th anniversary resurrection

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought we did that one already…five coin set

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@NYCMint said:

@Mgarmy said:

Kiss was a deal breaker I guess.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Passing because I'm out of funds and there are other future offerings that I'm more interested in.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

So these are the same coins that were for sale individually right? Only thing about the set is a hand signed COA?

• Options

@SeatedToners said:
    So these are the same coins that were for sale individually right? Only thing about the set is a hand signed COA?

They don't all have hand signed COAs. Only 100 of them

• Options
    edited August 5, 2021 8:51AM

@SeatedToners said:

There will be 5,000 COAs. The Mint doesn't say how many Ryder hand signed COA's there are, only "a limited quantity"..

EDITED TO SAY There WILL be 100 signed COA's. Thanks MetroD for pointing out My Error...

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

With no difference in the eagles, is there anything compelling about this set aside from the signed COAs?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@cagcrisp said:

@SeatedToners said:

There will be 5,000 COAs. The Mint doesn't say how many Ryder hand signed COA's there are, only "a limited quantity"..

From a Mint e-mail I received 08/02/21:

• Options
    Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    so hardly anyone on here is going to buy one and they still sell out in 6 minutes

Sounds about right. Everyone on here always talks that they are not getting them then they turn around and buy it.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still on the fence. Try or not in ~25 min?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC is offering special set label for sealed submission, PCGS tells me they are not.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    With no difference in the eagles, is there anything compelling about this set aside from the signed COAs?

special set label from NGC only.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    edited August 5, 2021 8:38AM

@cagcrisp said:

@SeatedToners said:

The email they sent said 100

Edited to add: oops. I missed @MetroD post

• Options

@derryb said:
    NGC is offering special set label for sealed submission, PCGS tells me they are not.

Interesting.

I wonder if their COA program would serve as a pseudo-special label for the set?

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Dirt94 - spot on comment - lots of talk about hating the mint, never buying again, etc. but the mint keeps selling out in minutes. I think they call that a love/hate relationship…..

We just need to admit we are hooked and chill out

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@NYCMint said:

@Mgarmy said:

Now that the sale is 15+ mins out...have you changed your mind??
    Somehow, I'm thinking you just might pull the trigger...just to see if you can be one of the 5k to get one!

BST references available on request

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file