Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Token Thursday!

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@coinsarefun said:
    I’m really loving all the new pickups @ZoidMeister its getting difficult to keep up with you!

And I thought I was the one that was having a tough time trying to keep up with you . . . . . .

Here is another recent arrival that I cross posted in the World's Fair thread. This one is really difficult to obtain with clean fields. Being aluminum, the fields of this 1901 Buffalo token get scratched up pretty easily, but I am very happy with the lack of wear on this one . . . . . .

Z

These are NOT easy to find nice. They are usually beat to heck. Excellency pickup.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

As promised earlier, here are my photos of the Michael Demling tokens by Ron Landis.

Z

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    How about some Gold, Frakensence, and Myrrh for the season . . . ?

Well, maybe some Silver, Copper, and Brass then . . .

One of my latest acquisitions, a set of Michael Demling's personal EAC tokens.

Z

Amazing work by Ron Landis on these! I've never seen these in any composition other than copper.

Here's a copper I picked up from @indeetlib.

There really needs to be a catalog and history of all of the Gallery Mint's work!

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

I love collecting in sets. But that's just me.......sweet

@ZoidMeister said:

As promised earlier, here are my photos of the Michael Demling tokens by Ron Landis.

Z

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    How about some Gold, Frakensence, and Myrrh for the season . . . ?

Well, maybe some Silver, Copper, and Brass then . . .

One of my latest acquisitions, a set of Michael Demling's personal EAC tokens.

Z

Amazing work by Ron Landis on these! I've never seen these in any composition other than copper.

Here's a copper I picked up from @indeetlib.

There really needs to be a catalog and history of all of the Gallery Mint's work!

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

@Twobitcollector I'm not sure which I like better. I love trains and trains on medals are even cooler in my book but,
    The Bicentennial Wagon medal is uber cool.

• Options

Here is a token that just couldn't wait for Thursday . . . . . . .

At first I thought this little 2004 ANA token might have been designed by Ron Landis, but after looking a little closer at it after receipt, it really didn't have his "fingerprints" on it.

I then inquired of Joe Paonessa if it could have been a Badger Mint creation. Joe informed me that this was a die design by Ian Cnulle (aka Gregg Franck-Weiby), a moneyer for the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA). It seems Mr Cnulle departed the mortal coil in 2011, but had a large impact in coining over the years, mainly in the Society for Creative Anachronism context.

Digging a bit with this information, I thought Mr. Cnulle might be familiar to members of this forum who might be able to add a bit of depth and detail to his work.

Given the focus of the SCA, I am wondering how many Medieval / Renaissance Faire medals and tokens were designed by Ian?

Are there any other SCA members here on CU? Inquiring minds . . . . . . .

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

I'm kind of partial to these little Pan-American medals, and I'm partial to having pairs of things.

This one is different from my first in that it has the date 1901 on the buffalo side.

Z

• Options

A pretty little thing for Thursday . . . . . . .

I need to redeem this one today . . . . . . .

Z

• Options

At first glance, this might be considered a Masonic Penny, but I think it is better described as a store card / trade token for Macoy Publishing Co.

Back to work . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Ohio Bicentennial American Revolution Medallion.

• Options

Another "Days of '49" token

This one has been "ridden hard and put away wet" as depicted by the rider on the reverse. It isn't a gem, but embodies the spirit of the piece methinks, and I like it . . . . . !

Of course, I'll be looking for another example that @coinsarefun would be proud of . . . . . . budget allowing.

Z

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

These tokens look reaĺly great. I have a few CWT's and love them.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    @Picker1954 Those are amazing tokens from Fort Thompson in Dakota Territory (Buffalo County).

With a population of 1,282 at the 2010 census, it's now the largest settlement in the Crow Creek Reservation.

Do we know any information on what the initials in F.J.D. & Co. stand for or are there any other artifacts of the company?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Thompson,_South_Dakota

According to Military Tokens of the United States, Volume I (Domestic Issues) by Paul Cunningham, "Fort Thompson was placed at the Crow Creek Agency, on the Missouri River in 1864. After service here for three years, it was unoccupied until being regarrisoned again from 1870 to 1871." F.J.D. & Co. issued at least three denominations of tokens for use there: 25 (yours), now valued at $500; and 50 and 100, each listing for $750.

I paid $70 for these and sold them on ebay for a net profit of $920.

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2022 2:34PM

Can't find any info on this token.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful JAB-30's @cardinal
    Especially this silver piece from Bolen's own collection:

I was hoping you'd score this one to complete your collection!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2022 5:43PM

To see the overall Libertas token collection, go here:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/collectors-showcase/tokens-medals/libertas-americana-tokens-u-s-centennial/2054

At this time, the collection spans 139 tokens!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2022 9:03PM

Congrats for picking those up @cardinal! Both the William Sphon Baker and E. Pluribus Unum Collections are seminal collections of Washingtonia and it's great that you were able to pick up so many of Bolen's Libertas Americana tokens from both collections! These really are once in a lifetime or more opportunties!

• Options

Time to get things started.

How about a 1908 dated Billiken?

Z

The God of Things As They Ought To Be

• Options

Another US Mint medal that I think qualifies as a token.

A. Loudon Snowden, US Mint Director, acting as the Grand Marshal for the Centennial of the Constituion Civic & Industrial parade on September 15, 1887 had these little tokens stamped up.

I wonder if he had them "thrown to the crowds" ala Mardi Gras by the US Mint Krewe . . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of mine:

• Options

_

I miss my Bilikin :s
    Shouldn’t have sold it but I must get used to it if I’m going to sell more stuff

Here’s the one I sold

. Hers one I haven’t sold yet

_****> @ZoidMeister said:

Z

• Options

CANADA. Montreal Witness Prize Competition. WM Token (26mm, 2.65 g, 12h). Dated 1891. THE PENNY OF THE TIME OF OUR LORD, obverse of a Tiberius denarius of the ‘Tribute penny’ type / THE MONTREAL WITNESS CANADA PRIZE COMPETITION, reverse of a Tiberius denarius of the ‘Tribute penny’ type; 1891 below. Breton 609. UNC.

The Montreal Witness sponsored a writing contest for school children, for which participants were awarded this token.
    And a small mintage of 2,000
    The obverse die is reported broken.

Many are worn down and tossed away. But overall these are still preserved better than the one before it.
    You can also find it semi prooflike my pics show.

• Options

The information provided below my token is provided by. NovaNumismatics.com The Bailey & Co began its existence as the Bailey & Kitchen Jewelry Company in 1830. Founded by Joseph Trowbridge Bailey and Andrew B. Kitchen, the firm was located at 136 Chestnut Street in Philadelphia.
    Joseph Bailey was an accomplished silversmith and jeweler, and along with his partner Andrew Kitchen, the firm was a renowned business which had earned strong loyalty by its customers. In 1846 the two partners decided to dissolve their partnership. However, the firm experienced a rebirth when Joseph’s brother Eli formed a new partnership with Jeremiah Robbins and James Gallagher. With the birth of the new partnership, the business continued its operations at the same Chestnut Street address.
    Operating under the moniker Bailey & Co., the firm continued at its same location for the next 13 years.
    In 1851 Joseph Trowbridge Bailey Jr joined the firm as an apprentice. Just a mere three years later he rose to become president of the company. Two years thereafter he became a partner.

In 1866 Eli retired, and twelve years later the firm was reorganized once again. Renamed Bailey, Banks & Biddle, the firm remained a staple Philadelphia firm until 1961, when it was acquired by the Zales Jewelry Company.

I’m not so sure if mine is silver player of silver. When dropped it has the right ring to it so, maybe when I sent it in I’ll find out.

• Options

I was strolling through Instagram the other day and saw NGC posted my Halfpenny so I thought I would post it today

I have shown these in a while too. The little brother (farhting) and big brother Halfpenny.

1793 TK 1/4D DH-1106A MIDDLESEX, END OF PAIN, RB MS64RB

1793 TK 1/2D DH-834 MIDDLESEX SPENCE'S NGC MS62RB Massively ungraded but I guess the die polis lines weren't appreciated ......LOL

• Options

Steph,

Iff'n you like little Billiken, you are going to like this little Turbaned Swami / All Seeing Eye Good Luck token . . . . .

I need to find me one with a swastika on the crystal ball. This token must have been made after the start of WWII. I believe the earlier pieces were those that reflected a swastika on the ball, which before the war was commonly used as a good luck symbol.

This piece is attributed to Robert Nelson of "Nelson Enterprises" in Columbus Ohio. I've seen a few different die varieties, but the one with the swastika on the crystal ball seems to be more common.

They didn't remove the swastika from the reverse of this one however.

Z

@coinsarefun said:
    _

I miss my Bilikin :s
    Shouldn’t have sold it but I must get used to it if I’m going to sell more stuff

Here’s the one I sold

. Hers one I haven’t sold yet

_****> @ZoidMeister said:

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    Steph,

Iff'n you like little Billiken, you are going to like this little Turbaned Swami / All Seeing Eye Good Luck token . . . . .

I need to find me one with a swastika on the crystal ball. This token must have been made after the start of WWII. I believe the earlier pieces were those that reflected a swastika on the ball, which before the war was commonly used as a good luck symbol.

This piece is attributed to Robert Nelson of "Nelson Enterprises" in Columbus Ohio. I've seen a few different die varieties, but the one with the swastika on the crystal ball seems to be more common.

They didn't remove the swastika from the reverse of this one however.

Thats the reason I will not buy anything with a swastika on it. I know that before the nazi party is was a good luck symbol
    but still can't get myself to own one.......fabulous obverse tho!

• Options

And here I'm back again grouping my "like tokens" together on collages......lol
    Need to find my ANA errors and tokens an add to the wallpaper.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Billiken is very popular.

I also have a Rexall Drug Store Billiken token:

Rexall Drug Stores Billiken Good Luck Coin
    Brass, 32mm, 11.06gm

Obverse:
    OPTIMISTIC AND PROGRESSIVE ORDER OF REXALLITES MEMBER'S COIN
    Billiken and horseshoe
    GUD LUKK / GOD OF GOOD LUCK, GOOD HEALTH AND GOOD CHEER

Reverse:
    I AM A REXALLITE BECAUSE MY DRUG STORE NEEDS BE THEY FEW OR MORE
    I CAN ALWAYS BUY BEST AT THE REXALL STORE
    THE REXALL STORE IN MY TOWN IS ONE OF THE WORLDS 7000 BEST DRUG STORES

Rexall was a chain of North American drugstores which operated from 1920 to 1977.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Probably my most favorite Gallery Mint Museum Hobo's. I need to post these in the GMM / Landis thread as well.

Both struck in silver - unsure whether it is .900, .925, or .999.

Self portraits of both Ron Landis and Joe Rust.

Z

Ron Landis Hobo

Joe Rust Hobo

@coinsarefun said:
    And here I'm back again grouping my "like tokens" together on collages......lol
    Need to find my ANA errors and tokens an add to the wallpaper.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2022 4:36PM

@ZoidMeister I LOVE them both and need them as well. I had one more arrive today so I updated the wallpaper to include the 1999 ANA Regular Not a broadstruck (error)
    Regarding your question of silver....Ron says:
    We put edges on those mainly because the Mini-Mint was something I created specifically to explain and demonstrate the entire process of early milled coining so I wanted to show that step especially because you just don't see edge mills in use anymore and I've always thought that was one of the more interesting aspects. The Hobo token is struck in silver. Most of them before 2000 were struck over Jefferson nickels or on thicker nickel planchets.
    So I would venture to say .999 silver

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    @crazyhounddog Have you lost your mind???? You posting a Pitcocks farthing Conder token :DB)

I was responding to token Thursday. Where did I go wrong 😵‍💫

• Options
  • Options

@coinsarefun said:
    You could never do wrong……I was just shocked you posted a token…….it’s like it @ricko would post a mega toner :D

I particularly like the (We Three Blockheads) token. It just might be the oldest coin dealer token around.
    Thanks😜

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    @crazyhounddog Have you lost your mind???? You posting a Pitcocks farthing Conder token :DB)

@crazyhounddog said:

@coinsarefun said:

I was responding to token Thursday. Where did I go wrong 😵‍💫

Late to the party on this, but hound dog was just about to get my . . . .

Z

• Options

I can only offer this "mule" in response . . . .

Z

• Options
    edited January 27, 2022 5:58PM

Here they are with their grades.…

• Options

A couple new arrivals to end the day. The first one is a duplicate.

Z

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file