Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Token Thursday!

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Thursday . . . . .

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2022 5:21AM

Anyone ever been here ??
    David's Island NY Harbor
    Currently uninhabited, off limits to the public.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

2007-08 ANA Summer Seminar - Art of Engraving Class - Student Tokens

Here are a few incredibly interesting tokens for today's submission . . . . at least I think these are incredibly interesting.

These all share a common reverse with the ANA logo and THE ART OF ENGRAVING / DE PROFUNDIS / SUMMER SEMINAR 2007-08 design.

Where the "interesting" comes in is on the reverse. My understanding is that each of these token reverses were designed and engraved by an attendee of The Art of Engraving Summer Seminar classes. Given that these are 13 to 14 years old, one can only imagine that their creators are now out engraving dies for all to enjoy.

What is not recorded are the names of those who engraved these cool tokens. If any one knows who to attribute this work to, it would be greatly appreciated.

All are struck in pewter, 19mm at 3.8 grams each.

Enjoy . . . . . . .

Z

The Common Reverse (per my source for these - I think it is the obverse)

On to the student artists work . . . . . .

The Court Jester?

A Single Headed Cerberus battling Ron Landis's latest Art Medal
    "One Cent short"

Taxi

The Roman Centurian

The Skeletor Witch

I was getting caught up on this thread and I saw this post.

I also have this set. The car is by George Cuhaj.

Now - about your signature line - "Busy chasing Carr's". All I can say is :D:D:D .

One of the tokens in the original set is an early piece by @DCarr himself. If you have the full set (I don't recall if it was 5 or 6 tokens) then you have it. If it is there then I'd guess it is the 09 cent one. Maybe he can confirm for you.

You may have caught a rare Carr and not even have known it.

• Options

@JBK ,

Yes, later in the thread we got confirmation from Dan himself on that piece. The Fire Dog is what I believe he calls it.
    Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2022 7:49AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    @JBK ,

Yes, later in the thread we got confirmation from Dan himself on that piece. The Fire Dog is what I believe he calls it.
    Z

Thx!

I read the whole thing through, or so I thought, to see if anyone commented. I must have missed a page. :/

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a question for you all. I’m starting to collect/learn about tokens. I need a book and can get a deal on red book US tokens. Yes, or is there something else I should get as a starter. Thanks James

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 that is a good book. If you want to learn about tokens in general I recommend
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Standard-Catalog-Of-United-States-Tokens-1700-1900-/255264539776?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
    The 4th edition is the most complete but since it was done so long ago prices in there are not really reflective for today.
    You can also spend a day or so researching this forum about
    1) Hard times tokens
    2) Civil war tokens
    3) patriotic tokens & medals.
    Besides so many other token subsets. Then broaden your search to
    The internet which include forums. Some have the wrong information but something will soon catch eye then you can start focusing.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1

If you need a really deep rabbit hole to go down, here is a "free" online source for information on So-Called Dollars.

https://so-calleddollars.com/

These round out and compliment any exo-numismatists token, medal, and trinket collection . . . .

I know they've been one of my (many) downfalls and vices.

Z

• Options

Thanks Zoid. Yes indeed I’m looking for a great big new wabbit hole. I’ve got to get away from my USMint,ase addiction.
    Appreciate your time and I will put your suggestions to work.
    This actually looks wonderful as there’s so many types and variations. 👍🏼

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

1914 Montana 25th Anniversary of Statehood HK-662

• Options
  • Options

This seems reasonable, so I grabbed it. Onward to the next one😉 Thanks Z

• Options

Just added this to my transportation collection 😉

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    This seems reasonable, so I grabbed it. Onward to the next one😉 Thanks Z

I think you will enjoy it. As you narrow down your focus, you will likely want a book dedicated to a specific area of tokens and medals.
    Good luck

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Hard Times Token HT-154
    Rarity 3 , Copy Of Gold Medal Awarded To R & W Robinson For The Best Military, Naval, Sporting & Plain Flat Buttons
    1836 American Institute New York.
    Just enough red peaking through to show off the devices & exactly how I like them to look. Usually this particular one suffers from a pitted die and mushy strike but, is this one is in much better shape then most I've seen in MS64 holders. Robinson's Jones & Co. received the American Institute medal for their metallic buttons in the fall of 1833, and promptly issued these tokens to advertise their triumph. The dies were cut by Edward Hulseman at about the same time that he cut the dies for HT70, which was the first of the "I Take Responsibility" political tokens.

• Options

I cannot believe that I am the only one doing the required housekeeping on this thread . . . . . .

Z

• Options

I was happy to see how clean this one was.

Sellers photos can sometimes be less than stellar.

Z

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2022 6:14AM

Wonderful Wannamaker token @ZoidMeister!

The Wannamaker store is great and he was an innovator!

I purchased my first suits in Philadelphia so it brings back memories!

• Options
    edited February 17, 2022 6:21AM

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    I cannot believe that I am the only one doing the required housekeeping on this thread . . . . . .

Haha! Great Alaska Centennial token! I actually have a whole collection of these that need to be cataloged. Is there a catalog for these?

I've been working to get my collection listed on Tokencatalog.com, but we know all too well just how fragile the interwebz can be.

I've seen at least two other varieties of that medal, but they weren't available for purchase. Why not post up a couple of yours?

Z

• Options

I might as well post this one here as well.

Z

• Options
    edited February 17, 2022 6:53AM

@ZoidMeister said:

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Haha! Great Alaska Centennial token! I actually have a whole collection of these that need to be cataloged. Is there a catalog for these?

I've been working to get my collection listed on Tokencatalog.com, but we know all too well just how fragile the interwebz can be.

I've seen at least two other varieties of that medal, but they weren't available for purchase. Why not post up a couple of yours?

Z

After moving, they are all in storage ... somewhere!

Some time I need to pull them all out to photograph.

But they are a fun series to collect!

• Options

These are common in aluminum, a bit more elusive in copper, but @coinsarefun has one that is out of this world . . . .

Z

• Options

I don't ever want to be in the position to have been given, or redeem this one . . . .

Z

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that Bolen @coinsarefun ! Incredible preservation and provenance chain.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

(1876) Token Pa-Ph 220B Copper Lingg & Bro., PCGS64RB Ex: Cardinal;

(1876) Token Pa-Ph 760A Copper John Stilz & Son, PCGS MS64BNEx Cardinal

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2022 3:20PM

Mirror finish platinum proof-like. Philadelphia Mint #96 of 100. Not many of these still exist.

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to show a new CWT, here is this weeks addition. Although a fairly common design, I hadn’t found one that met my eye appeal requirements, while simultaneously meeting price expectations. This one did.

• Options

I'm late.

Work IT Department has seen fit to block CU with the firewalls.

1947 Rochester Numismatic Association 35th Anniversary Commemorative

The Rochester Numismatic Association has put out a few commemorative medals that were less than inspiring, but this early strike isn't one of those.

Engraved by Alphonse A. Kolb for the RNA.

The RNA was organized in 1912 by a group of local collectors to attract the American Numismatic Association's annual convention to Rochester, New York, USA. They met with success as the ANA did hold their convention in Rochester. The RNA has met continuously since 1912. Only one local coin club, the Boston Numismatic Society, founded in 1860, has a longer record of continuous meetings.

On the reverse one can see RNA's designation as Branch #2 of the A.N.A. I am particularly partial to the prominent reverse die cracks on this medal.

Enjoy.

Z

• Options

1974 Assay Commision Fredric G. Mantei New York

This is basically his merchant token stating he was on the Assay Commission in 1974.
    He was president of Flushing Coin Club. And overall pretty active in numismatics.
    And, I found a couple of interesting articles. One explains the Assay in 1974 and the other article was written by
    Mantei.

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    I'm late.

Work IT Department has seen fit to block CU with the firewalls.

1947 Rochester Numismatic Association 35th Anniversary Commemorative

The Rochester Numismatic Association has put out a few commemorative medals that were less than inspiring, but this early strike isn't one of those.

Engraved by Alphonse A. Kolb for the RNA.

The RNA was organized in 1912 by a group of local collectors to attract the American Numismatic Association's annual convention to Rochester, New York, USA. They met with success as the ANA did hold their convention in Rochester. The RNA has met continuously since 1912. Only one local coin club, the Boston Numismatic Society, founded in 1860, has a longer record of continuous meetings.

On the reverse one can see RNA's designation as Branch #2 of the A.N.A. I am particularly partial to the prominent reverse die cracks on this medal.

Enjoy.

Z

Cool!. I thought I would post the coin club medal that you mention.

1873 Token Rulau Ma-Bo 13B Copper Boston Numismatic Society, MS66RB

• Options

@coinsarefun said:

Cool!. I thought I would post the coin club medal that you mention.

1873 Token Rulau Ma-Bo 13B Copper Boston Numismatic Society, MS66RB

Jealousy back at you . . .
    Some day, some day hopefully soon, I'll find a "Zoid Grade" example of that one myself.

Z

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

An 1872 U.S. Grant campaign item struck on leather.

The symbolism is interesting here. Grant worked in his father's leather goods store in the 1850s. He hated it. His running mate, Henry Wilson, had been a cobbler when he was younger. One of their campaign themes was to emphasize their humble beginnings to reach working class voters.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2022 6:58AM

Here is another piece in leather that was made for Grover Cleveland in 1888. Cleveland was the first Democrat to win a presidential election since Buchanan in 1856. They had had a long dry spell.

Oddly enough Cleveland lost in 1888 but came back to win in 1892. He is the only president, so far, who served two non-consecutive terms.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

What a great piece, never seen this one either! Incredibly fitting for the time. Now & then

@BillJones said:

Here is another piece in leather that was made for Grover Cleveland in 1888. Cleveland was the first Democrat to win a presidential election since Buchanan in 1856. They had had a long dry spell.

Oddly enough Cleveland lost in 1888 but came back to win in 1892. He is the only president, so far, who served two non-consecutive terms.

• Options

Amazing leather pieces @BillJones! I've never see these before.

Thanks for sharing them! :+1:

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's not Thursday B) I found this in a pile of stuff I have... I don't know if it's a medal, token, or ???? Curious what you all think....

• Options

@massscrew said:
    I know it's not Thursday B) I found this in a pile of stuff I have... I don't know if it's a medal, token, or ???? Curious what you all think....

It almost looks like a challenge coin.

Z

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're probably right.. thanks

• Options

Worthy of posting here as well.

Happy Thursday!

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

Happy Thursday!

Z

Great token! What is the composition? It's hard for me to tell from the photos.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Happy Thursday!

Z

Great token! What is the composition? It's hard for me to tell from the photos.

I know, the lighting at work is fairly yellowish.

It copper.

Z

• Options

A "Lucky Penny" with an interesting reverse crossed my radar.

This one doesn't have your typical "Betsy Ross" souvenir reverse.

Z

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file