Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Token Thursday!

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may have showed this one before but it came back a week or so from grading and imaging.
    I’m super happy it graded a MS65DPL. Pretty nice for a raw pickup. And, so much nicer in hand.

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping to have a new piece in hand for this weeks post, but it hasn’t arrived yet. Here are the GC pics of one of the acquisitions enroute. Been a quiet time for me lately, but I have line of sight to 4-5 upcoming Patriotic CWTs. Here is an Indiana primitive, that met my eye appeal vs price ratio.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an unusual example where the "correct" strike is rarer than the "error."

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newer and older. 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    And a few odd things. I got several images from NGC a week or so back but, no grades yet.
    So, Here are some pics.

Seems like NGC is trying out their previous photo layout again?

I like the look of these which I think have a "museum" look to them.

• Options

Getting a head start on Token Thursday since the Zoid salt mine started blocking CU through its firewalls.

If you collect exonumia, and if you fancy personal store cards of prominent numismatists as much as i do, then you may consider the following token a "Holy Grail" piece like me.

Only 1,006 struck in cupro-nickel, 20 in silver, and 2 each in gold and yellow brass.

The Personal Token of Russell Rulau.

Minted in 1990 by the Pobjoy Mint

It's also the last token depicted in Rulau's United States Tokens book, 3rd Edition.

Listed on Tokencatalog.com as TC-630308

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are killing me!!!!!! If I keep looking at this thread put up by my girl @coinsarefun I'll be looking for more than the very few I have now. Thank you for this interesting and rather addicting thread,
    Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

That is super interesting @ZoidMeister I've never seen nor heard of his card. Very cool.

@crazyhounddog you are too funny….lol
    I’m glad that me and everyone that posted in this thread and other token threads get coin people such as yourself to look and enjoy them as much as we do.
    I haven’t had much new material but I did manage to get a few things that are coming soon and will post when they arrive.

• Options

Actually I did get a token/medal and didn’t even have to pay for it. Just give PCGS a 150 various tokens
    and coins to grade and image and they gave me a few gold boxes and this. :p

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

I think I might FINALLY be able to retire . . . . .

Can anyone give me change for this one?

Z

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:
    And a few odd things. I got several images from NGC a week or so back but, no grades yet.
    So, Here are some pics.

Seems like NGC is trying out their previous photo layout again?

I like the look of these which I think have a "museum" look to them.

So do I! Their photography has improved by leaps and bounds

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

This looks like the personal token of an esteemed member of this forum.

Z

• Options

Many members of this forum have a keen appreciation for original "hand cut" dies . . . .

They don't get much more "hand cut" than these . . .

Minted by John Masterson of Beaver Bullion, Ontario, Canada. Created for the 2019 CSNA Convention in Calgary in cooperation with Canadian Coin News.

There seems to be quite the collectors base for Beaver Bullion products . . . .

Z

• Options

1876 Liberty Head 27mm copper Counter Token 13 Stars, Liberty 1876 REPUBLICA ARGENTINA NGC MS63BN R-9
    I’ve shown this before but wanted to post it again as I really like it.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

A group image of Daniel Carr stuck and over struck gold, silver and copper.
    10- gold overstrike
    10- Silver ( in middle)
    8- Silver mule 39mm broadstruck
    15- Copper Oregon Exchange 39mm broadstruck

** 1950 Medal PNNA 7th Annual Meeting 41mm C50-02a Bronzed Brass MS63**

1948 Token TC-13201 Brass 26mm K.M.T.R.G.S. Centennial OR MS64

• Options

Not much time for CU these days, but here is my contribution for this week

Z

Captain Midnight Membership Spinner
    Courtesy of Skelly Oil - circa 1940

• Options

Zoid,

Thanks for keeping this thread and tradition going. I will try to start taking pics of a few recent acquisitions and post them. They are all patriotic CWTs.

Hoping that others will also get re-energized to show off their cool tokens. I know I would personally enjoy seeing some CWT eye candy or historical pieces, to re-energize my searching.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 4:15PM

I wanted to get the ball rolling early this week. I've been quiet lately trying to tread water on the credit card balances.

I think I've gotten back to dry land this month, but this week i just had to pick up a beautiful Kettle Token variety that I didn't have yet.

Fauver Peace 1801-2C fpa (R7)

Z

• Options

Pretty sure it’s Thursday somewhere. Here is on of my recent cwt additions.

• Options

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    I'm a little late getting started.

Here is an interesting token with a nice vintage look.

Z

Nice one! It’s always super hard to find a S.D. Child’s token in good shape.
    If they are they get pricey

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, some really excellent tokens/medals posted here. I have 15 nice medals in for grading and True Views, but that was almost 3 months ago, and nothing is even graded yet, and the photos will take at least another week after that.

I was barely able to get this (tied with many for top pop) Teddy (2013) Presidential Chronicles Set medal and I will say someone else wanted this way more than I expected. Had to resort to a tactical nuke bid because I finally just got tired of losing. If you have a (2014) Franklin Roosevelt in MS70 for sale, please PM me.

Sometimes it is very hard to upgrade anything these days :/

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2022 2:30PM

Recent pickup on ebay. When I saw it had my name all over it so I had to buy it. :p

Not sure who the issuer is, but I think the basic token is fairly common. I don't know why they felt a need to stroke this over another token, but here it us.

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭

Fairly rare Mobile, AL Chuck E. Cheese token with the “value” reverse (instead of the common “play value” reverse.)

• Options

Work has me really slammed (still / again) and has been keeping me off the forum, but I didn't want to let Token Thursday pass without at least one addition from me.

This pair really caught my eye. They were created by a notable numismatist for another numismatist.

Engraved and struck by Del Romines for Bill and Marilyn Fivaz, brass and copper Wedding Vows tokens.

How much cooler can you get than that?

Z

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭

Very rare Charlie Cheese Pizza Playhouse token with stars on the obverse.

• Options

New CWT for me. Pics don’t do it justice.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Recent pickup on ebay. When I saw it had my name all over it so I had to buy it. :p

Not sure who the issuer is, but I think the basic token is fairly common. I don't know why they felt a need to stroke this over another token, but here it us.

>

Speaking of having a coin with "your name all over it" . . . . I recently ran across a counter-stamped coin with your initials on it - very tiny, on the reverse.

What a coincidence . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    edited July 29, 2022 8:12AM

@ZoidMeister said:

@JBK said:

>

Speaking of having a coin with "your name all over it" . . . . I recently ran across a counter-stamped coin with your initials on it - very tiny, on the reverse.

Z

Wow! Where did you find it - in circulation?

Unlike the token I purchased, that dollar coin does in fact have "my" initials on it. Plus the arrow for good measure.

That coin most likely started it's circulating life in Massachusetts.

• Options

@JBK said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@JBK said:

>

Z

Unlike the token I purchased, that dollar coin does in fact have "my" initials on it. Plus the arrow for good measure.

I came across another one with even larger initials . . . . . . .

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@JBK said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@JBK said:

>

Z

I came across another one with even larger initials . . . . . . .

Z

Ah yes, that's the classic JBK dollar. None produced for some years but maybe it's time for another production run. ;)

• Options

A little late, but still between the goalposts . . . .

An interesting depression era token for Force Wheat Flakes, the forerunner of Wheaties . . . .

Forces cartoon advertising icon, Sunny Jim graces the obverse of this lucky coin.

Z

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

I found this for sale at a bookstore. When I saw it, I looked at prices on eBay and decided to buy it. It has really nice toning, but I have no idea what it is. I'm not really a token guy (yet?) but I'll do more research on it in the morning.

Young Numismatist

• Options

That looks like a Patrick Mint piece, possibly minted by Jess Patrick. I have a catalog of his strikes at work. I'll see if I can find its attribution number.

Z

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    I found this for sale at a bookstore. When I saw it, I looked at prices on eBay and decided to buy it. It has really nice toning, but I have no idea what it is. I'm not really a token guy (yet?) but I'll do more research on it in the morning.

• Options

I almost let Token Thursday slip away . . .. .

Z

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file