Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Token Thursday!

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    A group image of Daniel Carr stuck and over struck gold, silver and copper.
    10- gold overstrike
    10- Silver ( in middle)
    8- Silver mule 39mm broadstruck
    15- Copper Oregon Exchange 39mm broadstruck

1950 Medal PNNA 7th Annual Meeting 41mm C50-02a Bronzed Brass MS63

1948 Token TC-13201 Brass 26mm K.M.T.R.G.S. Centennial OR MS64

Awesome Oregon tokens Stef!

• Options

Great monitor token! It's one of my favorite themes.

I've wanted one for a while but haven't found the right timing yet.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    I found this for sale at a bookstore. When I saw it, I looked at prices on eBay and decided to buy it. It has really nice toning, but I have no idea what it is. I'm not really a token guy (yet?) but I'll do more research on it in the morning.

Good news Dunkle,

Your token WAS minted by The Patrick Mint and is assigned Catelog #777. Only 1,000 piece were struck and it appears in the last year that Mint was in operation.

I'm wagering that might be the lowest minted piece that you might have.

Jesse Patrick was still around in 2020. I've kind of lost contact with him during the Covid years. Has anyone heard from him lately?

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    Jesse Patrick was still around in 2020. I've kind of lost contact with him during the Covid years. Has anyone heard from him lately?

I chatted with him last December. At the time, he indicated to me that he had stopped his minting operations.

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

1884 US CINCINNATI OH-CI-101
    HARD TIMES TOKEN
    LANGDON BAKERY
    WIDOWS MITE
    LORD'S PRAYER

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

I chatted with him last December. At the time, he indicated to me that he had stopped his minting operations.

I think their mint entirely burned up in one of the California fires ?

• Options
    edited August 13, 2022 7:49AM

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

I think their mint entirely burned up in one of the California fires ?

That's my understanding as well. Some of those fires were horrendous and burnt down entire neighborhoods to their foundations.

@carabonnair posted on this a while back:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13084910/#Comment_13084910

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a couple new ones. Been awhile since we bought anything 😉🙀🦫
    By the way love those beavers!!

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited August 14, 2022 7:49PM

Gorgeous! What a beautiful and clean token!

If anyone is going to have a top hat collection, it would be you of course!

The only thing is that token isn't holed ;):D

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luckily for collectors many of both the Francisco and the Francisco & Whitman store cards from the 'tween years survived in choice condition. One coin club is set to use uncirculated brass, silver plated & copper examples as gold-silver-bronze exhibit awards in the exonumia category at an upcoming major show. They are flashy pieces that always draw attention in a show case.

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    Luckily for collectors many of both the Francisco and the Francisco & Whitman store cards from the 'tween years survived in choice condition. One coin club is set to use uncirculated brass, silver plated & copper examples as gold-silver-bronze exhibit awards in the exonumia category at an upcoming major show. They are flashy pieces that always draw attention in a show case.

Very cool! Can't wait to learn which coin club and major show this will be exhibited at. Thanks for the heads up!

• Options

My pedestrian contribution for this week.

Z

Unlisted SC$1 from the 1933 Century of Progress Exhibition

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Starting out Token Thursday with a mystery . . . . . .

I've been looking for additional information on this centennial medal from 1895 but am coming up empty.

It looks to be a well made piece. Unfortunately the condition of this one leaves a bit to be desired. Anyone seen one or know about this piece?

Z

Centennial Anniversary of the Evacuation of Fort Ontario - Oswego N.Y.

• Options

It arrived yesterday. I like it 😁

• Options

One of my favorites.

Z

@MWallace

• Options
    edited September 23, 2022 8:42PM

Check this out Found in my brother’s jewelry case. He made silver jewelry and cool little things. I miss him very much, he passed in 2012.
    I must have been through this with him as I recognize the snap tite plastic case. He wouldn’t have bothered but he wasn’t a coin collector. He used them in jewelry 🙀

This has a 90 degree die rotation which is cool 😎 

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my latest

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Late start this week . . . . .

Several weeks ago, I acquired a really nice example of an Atwood-Coffee OH-175AA transportation token . . . . . .

1908 Cincinnati Ohio Municipal Traction Co.

Then last week, I found an aluminum plate that was struck with the same dies. The dies used to strike this plate do not look deteriorated or "end of life" - they are pretty detailed / sharp.

I am wondering if perhaps this might be a die trial / test strike piece.

Z

• Options
    edited October 20, 2022 4:52PM

@jesbroken said:
    Nice Joe. Here are a couple of Masonic Tokens my Great Uncle carried in his pockets for years(he was a 33 degree mason) His sword is in my closet. His ring went to his sons.
    Here is a Paquet Lincoln/Washington Token I picked up last year.
    Jim

I love the Washington and Lincoln. Awesome remnants of history there.

Z

• Options

$2. Got to love it 😁

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    I found this for sale at a bookstore. When I saw it, I looked at prices on eBay and decided to buy it. It has really nice toning, but I have no idea what it is. I'm not really a token guy (yet?) but I'll do more research on it in the morning.

Good news Dunkle,

Your token WAS minted by The Patrick Mint and is assigned Catelog #777. Only 1,000 piece were struck and it appears in the last year that Mint was in operation.

I'm wagering that might be the lowest minted piece that you might have.

Z

Thanks for that - I just got back to this thread. I couldn't really find much.

Young Numismatist

• Options

Happy Thursday everyone! The week is almost over.

Starting out this week we have:

c. 1850's Professor Johnson's Soap & Starch Merchant Advertising Token (Rulau M-NY-396)

• Options
    c0injunkyc0injunky Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Recently came across this token, my first cigar store one. Couldn’t find a lot of info on it but it appears to be from Colorado. Unfortunately a bit of environmental damage, but it has me liking cigar store tokens!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of favorites from a recent photography run I did at the LCS:

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options

@c0injunky said:
    Recently came across this token, my first cigar store one. Couldn’t find a lot of info on it but it appears to be from Colorado. Unfortunately a bit of environmental damage, but it has me liking cigar store tokens!

Yours looks like an earlier version of this one.

http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=316945&inventory_id=689635&td_image_id=497972&attribution_id=323308&record_offset=0

It lists Pritchard LE115-5b as a catalog reference and is attributed to Leadville.

I hope this helps.

Z

• Options

Two weeks later and several $$$ short.

Here is this week's contribution. I love these old automotive tokens.

Z

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

• Options

Here’s 3 from today. Very reasonable couple, three bucks .
    Always like the octagon, got a coin collector son named Dave, square is next on my list and grew up in the Kenwood- Santa Rosa area, which is 15 or so miles south of Healdsburg
    All of which is prime wine growing and bottling at small to big wineries 😁. Fine Cabernet and a good cigar 👍🏼

• Options

How cool is this . . . . ?

I recently picked up this really nicely designed New Orleans pictorial token. Unfortunately, the venue this token was promoting had a tragic ending, but it also came with a rare accompaniment piece.

The token is an advertisement for The Lamplighter Club, high atop the Rault Center in New Orleans, LA. The Lamplighter Club was a small rooftop venue at the top of the Rault Center, a 17-story building populated with offices and nice apartments. One of the few high rises in 1970s New Orleans, it boasted a skyline view from the heart of the Central Business District. The lounge attracted many affluent professionals and cocktail lovers looking for a drink with some nice scenery to the corners of Gravier and South Rampart. 

It's unfortunate end came 50 years ago this week. On November 29, 1972, a terrible tragedy befell a group of unsuspecting New Orleanians enjoying a quiet afternoon during the holiday season. A fire started on the 16th floor, just below the Lamplighter Club. It was the middle of the day, but the bar was busy that afternoon. The Rault Center had no internal sprinkler system and the blaze quickly escalated, flames and smoke cutting off access to stairwells.

The full story can be found here:

https://www.hottesthell.com/blog/2020/12/1/fire-at-the-lamplighter-club-1972-new-orleans

But my story is about the token itself, and the accompanying extra. You see, I acquired this piece with the original obverse die!

The obverse looks like it has the die engravers signature just beneath the lamp pole. I think it reads CHASE in the engravers hand script.

The reverse of this token bears it's country of origin as pre-reunification West Germany. It also has a logo of a crown with the letters B & K inscribed.

Does anyone recognize this die sinkers logo or signature?

Anyway, I am happy to become the latest exonumia collector to own the original die related to one of my pieces.

Z

• Options
    EdHayesEdHayes Posts: 39 ✭✭

Well, since I am currently promoting my new book, The Templar Token, how could I not post this?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file