Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Token Thursday!

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I have no Tokens in my collection.
    :/
    Maybe soon? :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Sorry, I have no Tokens in my collection.
    :/
    Maybe soon? :)

We’ll save you a spot for next Thursday 😃

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t been able to pull the trigger on any patriotic CWT’s in awhile. Just won these two tokens tonight. I didn’t have any of the 4 dies, so they all fill a whole for my collection. Not the best I have ever gotten, but felt they had a decent look to the.

Sellers pics.

• Options

Let's revive this great old thread.

Z

• Options

• Options

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

That's one of my favorite tokens @ZoidMeister!

I really love the official looking and sounding token and company name.

Of note, this token was done by Bob McNamara of Heraldic Art which makes it even cooler, information I found out from famed Heraldic Art collector Don Smith.

Here's a thread with more info on this token:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/985488/henry-lewis-writesel-and-the-federal-coin-exchange/p1

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

That's one of my favorite tokens @ZoidMeister!

I really love the official looking and sounding token and company name.

Of note, this token was done by Bob McNamara of Heraldic Art which makes it even cooler, information I found out from famed Heraldic Art collector Don Smith.

Here's a thread with more info on this token:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/985488/henry-lewis-writesel-and-the-federal-coin-exchange/p1

Amazing information and provenance @Zoins !

It looks like the version you have in the link is some type of white metal. The one I found is copper.

It was the design of the reverse that compelled me to pick it up.

Z

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:
    My first token ever! I’ll never have a real Brasher Doubloon so how about a neat copy. In hand it is very flashy and prooflike. I don’t know much about the history of these pieces but I thought it was super cool that as early as the 1860s the Brashers were known and esteemed enough for someone to make copies.

WOW, just wow . . . .

Z

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    My first token ever! I’ll never have a real Brasher Doubloon so how about a neat copy. In hand it is very flashy and prooflike. I don’t know much about the history of these pieces but I thought it was super cool that as early as the 1860s the Brashers were known and esteemed enough for someone to make copies.

Your piece is one of 25 examples reportedly struck by Joseph H Merriam at the order of Connecticut banker, Alfred S. Robinson. Yours is copper and less frequently encountered than brass examples, though they have the same mintages.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

One final entry for Token Thursday . . . .

I've seen tokens that were "Good for 50¢" . . . . .

I've even seen them that were "Good for $1, $2, or even $2.50"

When was the last time you saw a "Good for $20" token . . . . . . . ?

This is a Patrick Mint token for the Robert Schuman Sale held by C. Douglas Smith in February, 2002.

Enjoy . . . . . .

Z

• Options

@DCW said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

Your piece is one of 25 examples reportedly struck by Joseph H Merriam at the order of Connecticut banker, Alfred S. Robinson. Yours is copper and less frequently encountered than brass examples, though they have the same mintages.

Wonderful piece! Thanks for psoting it @Floridafacelifter and the response @DCW!

Here's the TrueView:

• Options
    edited December 10, 2021 2:33AM

Here's a new pick up from Tim Grat!

2007 Lincoln Coin Club Large Cent (counterstrike) - by Tim Grat

Landis Studios wrote:
    Lincoln Coin Club Large Cent (counterstrike)
    Made in 2007 for the Lincoln Coin Club.

Obverse - oversized Lincoln Large Cent dated 2007 (Large Cent size)
    Counterstamped with 1951 (date of Lincoln Coin Club inception?) Small Lincoln.

Reverse - "Not" One Cent as a nod to Hard Times Tokens

All dates and reverse lettering is quite crude, as this was a very early example of die sinking done by the coiner, Timothy Grat, in order to complete the commemorative as a favor.

Doubling on reverese is the result of the small cent counterstamp shifting the large cent host during the strike.

Not the prettiest example...but a perfect example of, "It is what it is" !!!

• Options
    edited December 10, 2021 2:36AM

@coinsarefun said:
    I love the Brasher’s

I do the trueview but need to look for this one.

Very cool!

I need to get PCGS to slab and TrueView this unique piece of mine :)

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I was sick yesterday I missed token day.

These are more like medals but still pretty cool and stupid low mintages.
    One is 2 ounce silver. The other is silver with gold gilt. I love how they misspelled TINE

• Options

I'm stumped, what was it supposed to read? Coin?

Kind of foggy headed today with what's going on.

Z

@coinsarefun said:

One is 2 ounce silver. The other is silver with gold gilt. I love how they misspelled TINE

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

@coinsarefun said:

Cool looking pieces.

Here's a close up.

• Options

These are both 1/2oz copper tokens by The Patrick Mint.

Z

• Options
    edited December 16, 2021 6:38AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    These are both 1/2oz copper tokens by The Patrick Mint.

Z

Those are great tokens by Jesse Patrick.

I wonder if any TPG will slab them given that Jesse has a full catalog?

By the way, here's a bio for David Kahn. who is a "widely recognized expert in die variety attributions".

https://www.davidkahnrarecoins.com/about-dkrc

David Kahn said:
    I began collecting Indian cents and Mercury dimes in 1973 at the age of 13. Before long, I was “wheeling and dealing” with other teenage collectors in the neighborhood. By the mid 1980’s, I had settled on forming a serious collection of Capped Bust half dollars by Overton varieties. All the while, I was buying and selling coins and using those resources to help finance my collecting ambitions. You will find that I still sell some items on eBay – seller ID: DavidKahnRareCoins. After more than 30 years of dealing in coins part-time, I became a full-time numismatic professional in 2005. I am a member of the PNG (#744) and ANA (Life Member 6503) as well as many other numismatic organizations. In addition, I am an authorized PCGS, NGC and CAC dealer, and a widely recognized expert in die variety attributions.

While I no longer collect Bust halves, I remain a collector at heart, and understand this business from a collector’s point of view. I know that a coin has to be right for you and for your collection – not just in terms of grade and price, but in terms of quality as well. That is why I always offer a full, 14-day return privilege on any coin bought from me. More importantly, you will find that I will strive to be a trusted source of information and honest advice and opinion. I will not try to “sell” you a coin, I would much rather work on finding the right coin for you. The right coins tend to sell themselves. By the way, I do actively collect a few things: die-struck US contemporary counterfeit coins, Library of Coins albums and numismatic literature.

• Options
    edited December 16, 2021 6:45AM

Steph said that TINE was misspelled.

English syntax translation makes me think that it should have read,

1ST WORLD STAMP & COIN 2018

No idea . . . .

Z

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

@coinsarefun said:

Cool looking pieces.

Here's a close up.

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

Won in auction last night.

• Options

Those are very cool. I love the look of the serif font on the token on the right.

Z

@Picker1954 said:
    Won in auction last night.

• Options

@Picker1954 Those are amazing tokens from Fort Thompson in Dakota Territory (Buffalo County).

With a population of 1,282 at the 2010 census, it's now the largest settlement in the Crow Creek Reservation.

Do we know any information on what the initials in F.J.D. & Co. stand for or are there any other artifacts of the company?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Thompson,_South_Dakota

• Options

I don’t know about that @ZoidMeister but I would say you are right. I always thought the interpretation just brought a misspelling but your explanation sounds reasonable.

• Options

I don’t think I’ve posted this one before. I think it’s graded……lol need to look through my records.
    1850's E. L. Percy Troy, NY I love the lathe marks.

• Options
    edited December 16, 2021 12:13PM

Here is one for my "little sis" @coinsarefun .

She is a BAAAAD influence on me.

Z

• Options

Very cool! Where were all of these back when I was looking……lol
    Now I’m finished and only looking for varieties and upgrades.
    Btw, I think these are rated R7

@ZoidMeister said:
    Here is one for my "little sis" @coinsarefun .

She is a BAAAAD influence on me.

Z

• Options

BTW, here is mine.....compare it to yours and they are different. Although mine is soaking and hopefully look much better in 6-12 month's :D Arg-2B R8
    . I think the biggest pick up points besides the A looking like a delta.
    The head size is different

@ZoidMeister said:

• Options

It's Token Thursday!

Covid Token Thursday!

I don't have access to any of my research books, (they're all at work), so I'll show and rely on y'all to tell.

A recent pickup. Zoid's version of a "smoker token."

Z

• Options

How about some Gold, Frakensence, and Myrrh for the season . . . ?

Well, maybe some Silver, Copper, and Brass then . . .

One of my latest acquisitions, a set of Michael Demling's personal EAC tokens.

Z

• Options

1839 Wolfe, Clark, and Spies electrotype of a very rare and expensive token
    Extremely well made and several have found it’s way into third party grading slabs.
    I asked Steve where this came from and his reply is below.

“It came from Jon Harris who was active in Civil War tokens in the 1980s. I bought this along with a number of mainly 1850's merchant tokens from him around 7 years ago. It has been laying around for all that time until I recently purchased some other Electros and decided it was time for them all to go. Thanks, Steve.”

JK’s site explains……
    “Wolfe, Clark and Spies sold, among other things, cutlery and military goods from their shop at 193 Pearl Street in the heart of lower Manhattan. A few blocks away, at Pearl and Dover, was Washington's home when he was inaugurated our first President. It appears likely that the Washington bust on the Wolfe, Clark and Spies tokens represents the first use of Washington's portrait on any token. It is no wonder this rarity has long been appreciated as one of the foundational inclusions in any advanced collection of Washingtoniana. Ranked #112 among the 100 Greatest American Tokens and Medals, this would have been likely ranked higher were it common enough for more of the voters to have ever seen one! From the John J. Ford, Jr. Collection.”

• Options
    edited December 23, 2021 10:03AM

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

Amazing work by Ron Landis on these! I've never seen these in any composition other than copper.

Here's a copper I picked up from @indeetlib.

There really needs to be a catalog and history of all of the Gallery Mint's work!

• Options

I can see Ron's design influences in these but the seller didn't attribute them to him.

I'll post better photos when they arrive and log them into Tokencatalog.com.

Thanks much for confirming their provenance.

Z

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

Amazing work by Ron Landis on these! I've never seen these in any composition other than copper.

Here's a copper I picked up from @indeetlib.

There really needs to be a catalog and history of all of the Gallery Mint's work!

• Options

1830-1879 Imitation $10D by L. Chr. Lauer Imitation Gold US Liberty 10 Dollars 13mm.
    This is so small it’s detail is amazing and it has a reeded edge.

Just so you can get a feel for how small this is

• Options

Haven't been in the office since Dec. 14th so I don't have any recent arrivals imaged. I did have this one photographed and don't think I've posted it yet.

Didn't want Token Thursday to escape without a contribution.

Z

• Options

Happy Token Thursday!
    This pig's head / rear "matching coin" motif is fairly commonly seen, mostly as a token for Gus' Eatery in the Chicago area, but was also used by car dealerships, tool manufacturers, diners, retailers, and manufacturing companies from Colorado to Pennsylvania. There are several die / metallic varieties that can be collected from each named patron business as well.

This example however, was a "store card" from the die sinker that made these, Meyer & Wenthe of Chicago, IL.

Z

• Options

And this token from H.L. Green Department store in Philadelphia.

The reverse of this one is very reminiscent of the 1930's series of Green River Whiskey Tokens. I need to do some research to see if the maker of this and the Green River Whiskey tokens is the same.

I wish I could find it right now to read the microscopic maker's mark on the reverse, but I just can't lay my hands on it.

Z

• Options
    edited January 6, 2022 9:45AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    It's Token Thursday!

Covid Token Thursday!

I don't have access to any of my research books, (they're all at work), so I'll show and rely on y'all to tell.

A recent pickup. Zoid's version of a "smoker token."

Z

Great token! Loe the "Days of '49" theme!

• Options
    edited January 6, 2022 10:53AM

I’m really loving all the new pickups @ZoidMeister its getting difficult to keep up with you!

I received this one from the dealer in heraldic art medals. He has several counterstamped with Northeastern Penn Ohio coin club. I’ve not heard of that coin club but he sent this one to me. I was in the middle of finding out what it was but he had to go in the hospital. I wish and pray that he has a speedy recovery. He tested negative twice but is in the hospital for severe symptoms.

• Options

I posted this in another thread about gaming tokens but thought to post it here too.
    I've had this one for several years now and may have even posted it before but thought to try and get better pic's and
    attach information on it hear so I don't forget......lol

According to TAMS
    AMERICAN GAME COUNTERS
    by Russell Rulau and George J. Fuld

• Options

And, thanks to @cmerlo1 I was able to add this one.
    Argentina 2 1/2D token. Literature shows only one style and I can’t figure out if that’s a star below or not. The new one in first post has a star and has a recut obverse with a start of a cud on reverse in brass. The second one is one I already have with no star on obverse, brass also. So which is the variety?
    The first one is from @cmerlo1 and the second is mine.

• Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    I’m really loving all the new pickups @ZoidMeister its getting difficult to keep up with you!

And I thought I was the one that was having a tough time trying to keep up with you . . . . . .

Here is another recent arrival that I cross posted in the World's Fair thread. This one is really difficult to obtain with clean fields. Being aluminum, the fields of this 1901 Buffalo token get scratched up pretty easily, but I am very happy with the lack of wear on this one . . . . . .

Z

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    It's Token Thursday!

Great token! Love the "Days of '49" theme!

I'm glad you like it. I was finally able to get it out, give it a little acetone spa treatment, and take my own photos of it.

Enjoy . . . . .

Z

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file