Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Token Thursday!

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    OMG @ZoidMeister that is a very unusual token but I’ll pass :#
    However I do make chicken liver pâté every month or so........much tastier and better for you.

Just to "complete" your edjamacation . . . . . .

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/drink/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-bovril/

https://www.unilever.co.uk/brands/food-and-drink/bovril.html

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Last arrival of the day to share . . . . . .

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 9:10PM

@coinsarefun said:
    1850’s Rulau Md-Ba 201 Brass Geo. P. Steinbach PCGS MS65

Great token! Nice use of Lady Liberty and the Eagle!

I still need to look up why all the German merchants used "J" for "I" in their coins, like "JMPORTER".

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 12:52AM

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

That looks similar to the ones I produced in 2011, but it is not one that I made.
    Can I use that picture on my identification page ?

it looks like it is made of brass ?
    Is the edge reeded or smooth ?

• Options

@dcarr said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

That looks similar to the ones I produced in 2011, but it is not one that I made.

Of course, feel free to use them.

It is not, and was not, sold as a Moonlight Mint strike. It is brass, but lighter than your creations coming in at around 18.74 grams. The dies are well done, but differ from your dies - most notably visible in the size of the stars on the shield on the reverse, the details in the wreath, and the location of the points of the ribbon bow at the bottom. Your left ribbon points at the center of the "N" where this one points to the middle of the "NT" in TWENTY."

And the edge on this one is reeded, not smooth and engraved. I asked the seller if he knew anything about the origin of this piece, but he had little to offer.

Of course I would have much preferred to have gotten one of yours, but I was a day late and more than a dollar short. @Downtown1974 beat me to the original by a few hours.

Until I can find an original that I can secure and afford, this will have to be a reasonable facsimile thereof . . . .

Z

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@dcarr said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

It is not, and was not, sold as a Moonlight Mint strike. It is brass, but lighter than your creations coming in at around 18.74 grams. The dies are well done, but differ from your dies - most notably visible in the size of the stars on the shield on the reverse, the details in the wreath, and the location of the points of the ribbon bow at the bottom. Your left ribbon points at the center of the "N" where this one points to the middle of the "NT" in TWENTY."

And the edge on this one is reeded, not smooth and engraved. I asked the seller if he knew anything about the origin of this piece, but he had little to offer.

Of course I would have much preferred to have gotten one of yours, but I was a day late and more than a dollar short. @Downtown1974 beat me to the original by a few hours.

Until I can find an original that I can secure and afford, this will have to be a reasonable facsimile thereof . . . .

Z

It took the better part of two years for me to find one. It was only because of the generosity of a fellow member here that I was able to secure this one.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2021 5:13PM

I was doing some research and happened across an article written by Dave Bowers back in 2000 and in the PCGS archives..
    The article is titled Robert Downing Rare Coin Dealer
    After posting I realized it may be easier to read the above link as the below text is way to small.
    I have also copied and posted it below. This has got to be one of the most interesting articles I've read in a very long time!
    And gives you a snippet back how dealers got their "specimens". And so many other things.......not so different of today.

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@dcarr said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

Z

It took the better part of two years for me to find one. It was only because of the generosity of a fellow member here that I was able to secure this one.

• Options

2007-08 ANA Summer Seminar - Art of Engraving Class - Student Tokens

Here are a few incredibly interesting tokens for today's submission . . . . at least I think these are incredibly interesting.

These all share a common reverse with the ANA logo and THE ART OF ENGRAVING / DE PROFUNDIS / SUMMER SEMINAR 2007-08 design.

Where the "interesting" comes in is on the reverse. My understanding is that each of these token reverses were designed and engraved by an attendee of The Art of Engraving Summer Seminar classes. Given that these are 13 to 14 years old, one can only imagine that their creators are now out engraving dies for all to enjoy.

What is not recorded are the names of those who engraved these cool tokens. If any one knows who to attribute this work to, it would be greatly appreciated.

All are struck in pewter, 19mm at 3.8 grams each.

Enjoy . . . . . . .

Z

The Common Reverse (per my source for these - I think it is the obverse)

On to the student artists work . . . . . .

The Court Jester?

A Single Headed Cerberus battling Ron Landis's latest Art Medal
    "One Cent short"

Taxi

The Roman Centurian

The Skeletor Witch

• Options

I started a separate thread a few days back but thought tp post it here today as well.
    I thought this was pretty cool and with only 2 struck on $5 gold eagles for the 75th anniversary of Western Reserve
    Numismatic Club.

I thought it goes nicely with this unique die trial of the counterstamp.
    The information I found out on the piece below is:
    1794-1994 1st US Silver Dollar Gallery Mint Museum GMM w/ Misc. Die Trial Strikings. Irregular diameter due to counterstamps, approximately 40.5mm (1.6 inch) diameter. This is a blank planchet for the GMM commemorative of the First U.S. Silver Dollar. The edge is lettered: BICENTENNIAL OF THE FIRST U.S. SILVER DOLLAR. Struck many times with the obverse and reverse dies for the 75th Anniversary of the Western Reserve Numismatic Club (WRNC, located in Cleveland, OH and founded in 1921) several reverse dies for GMM copies of a U.S. large cent. Finally, three impressions of an RL (possibly Ron Landis) die. This piece if from the collection of the late Rich Wroblewski, who was president of WRNC at the time of the 75th anniversary counterstamps (1996). Mr. Wroblewski handled the complete process of obtaining the counterstamps for the club.

That also ties in nicely with the 1971 SC 50C Western Reserve AG Heraldic Art Medal PCGS MS68

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

Overstrike? Token? Curio? Oregon Numismatic Society 10th anniversary medal dies partially overstruck on a 1913 $10, courtesy of Daniel Carr and Lakesammman.

• Options

@ranshdow said:
    Overstrike? Token? Curio? Oregon Numismatic Society 10th anniversary medal dies partially overstruck on a 1913 $10, courtesy of Daniel Carr and Lakesammman.

I love these very much! I have 3 of them and each is slightly different

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any spectacular tokens but here is one that I have.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Liverpool Farthing Token, Sidney Hellewell, vulcanized india rubber merchant

Here's a happy little British token for @coinsarefun . From the Liverpool vulcanized rubber merchant Sidney Hellewell. it was manufactured and in use circa 1850's - 1860's. It's 22mm and made of gilt brass.

Enjoy . . . . .

Z

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two-sided 3-inch diameter large metal token coin set into swiveling/revolving metal holder & base has the ancient Greek owl w/Greek lettering "AOE" on one side, and the Dodo bird on other side.

One side of base reads:
    "The owl reproduced here was one side of an Athenian coin of the 6th century B.C. in Greek mythology. The owl was a symbol of the goddess of wisdom, Athena. Her likeness appeared on the original coin's face. The dodo was a large flightless bird of certain Indian ocean islands. Unable to cope with man and his imported animals, it became extinct in the late 17th century. "Dodo", derived from the Portuguese word for "silly", is often used as a synonym for stupid. For the patient confused or uniformed about dental matters and dentifrices, chance largely determines whether he acts wisely or unwisely. As his knowledge increases, so does the wisdom of his decisions."

Other side of base reads "COMPLIMENTS OF CREST (R) (c) 1967 PROCTOR & GAMBLE".

Bottom line, Be like the wise owl and use Crest toothpaste, don't be stupid like a Dodo bird.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    That has so many levels of coolness @Goldminers

I just received a Liberty dollar book for you from the author, send me a PM with your address, and I will mail it to you.

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    Oh, and my "Everything California Numismatic Club Medals" are coming along, very close to finishing......only a few needed.
    This is just a try out for positioning and I'll insert the text at the final. If you right click and open image in separate tab you can see it full size.

Beautiful collection and your photography skills are outstanding.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Here is the first of my "off metal" tokens that came in. I have another different one, supposed to arrive in today's mail.

By "off metal" I mean NON-metallic. This is one of my newest token interests, sparked by none other than @coinsarefun . . . . .

I present for your viewing pleasure, my . . . .

circa 1780 - 1820 Mother of Pearl Whist Token

This little token / gaming piece is engraved / etched much like scrimshaw. It bears evidence of solid use and "honest wear" but retains most of the engraved patterns when tilted just right in the light.

What amazes me most is; a) how something so fragile could survive the past 200 years, and b) how relatively affordable they are.

Enjoy

Z

• Options

And another piece I picked up having been corrupted "influenced" by @coinsarefun . . . . . .

• Options

@ZoidMeister i like the club token very much but I’ve been thinking about the mother of peal
    Whist token……..it’s very usual and may be worth some good money.

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    @ZoidMeister i like the club token very much but I’ve been thinking about the mother of peal
    Whist token……..it’s very usual and may be worth some good money.

I'll PM you what I got it for.

Z

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS au55

• Options

I'm a bit late with this one, but I didn't want to wait until next week.

Again, the design of this piece intrigued me. It was sold as a "German Porcelain Notgeld" or medal. It is 42mm in diameter and has roughly the consistency of "flower pot" material.

There are some "interesting" translations on this piece. Issued / made in 1922, it falls squarely between WWI and WWII. The front says, "25 Years of Homeland Protection" and has Professor (Oskar) Seyffert's name.

The reverse bears the inscriptions, "State Museum" and "For Saxon Folk Art."

Interesting piece. Additional information appreciated.

Z

• Options

One more "day late and dollar short" contribution.

This is MY KIND of token.

Tombstone "Helldorado Days", supposedly a 1968-1969 Anillo restrike.

http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=288929&inventory_id=250692&td_image_id=137270&attribution_id=294555&record_offset=10

I think I'll get another to "pocket carry".

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister you are finding some very cool tokens! The Notgeld is something I've not gotten into yet but have looked at them for years....very cool.
    The Tombstone "Helldorado Days", supposedly a 1968-1969 Anillo restrike. I've not seen before. I like it.

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    @ZoidMeister you are finding some very cool tokens! The Notgeld is something I've not gotten into yet but have looked at them for years....very cool.
    The Tombstone "Helldorado Days", supposedly a 1968-1969 Anillo restrike. I've not seen before. I like it.

Turning over rocks I am . . . . .

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    One more "day late and dollar short" contribution.

This is MY KIND of token.

Tombstone "Helldorado Days", supposedly a 1968-1969 Anillo restrike.

http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=288929&inventory_id=250692&td_image_id=137270&attribution_id=294555&record_offset=10

I think I'll get another to "pocket carry".

Z

I thought Anillo restrikes were aluminum and uniface?

Perhaps @tokenpro would know?

• Options

@Zoins said:

I thought Anillo restrikes were aluminum and uniface?

Perhaps @tokenpro would know?

Could very well be. Token Catalog had a reference to Anillo, but a link to this one . . . .

http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=519820

I'm still learning this stuff . . . .

Would love more info on the origins of the copper piece.

Z

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dollar size Tombstone Helldorado Days pieces were struck in copper and aluminum, the copper strikes being more commonly found based on my experience. The Anillo pieces are simply salesman samples. Peter Spooner sets the date as circa 1950's in his catalog which makes some sense due to their similarity to the 1949 Long Beach Centennial Days issues which use much of the same wording (Shootin Lunchin Hangin, Rip-Roaring, etc). It's possible that the Tombstone pieces were issued first. Los Angeles Rubber Stamp Co. most probably made both.

The inspiration for both pieces might be HK-689, the common Wolfville Western Days piece from 1933 which carries the same general theme.

Also note that there is a series of good for tokens from the Helldorado Bank of Tombstone issued for the 50th Anniversary of the city in 1929 (Spooner TOM-060 through -070).

• Options

Three pieces from the Golden Gate Expo including a So-Called Dollar (HK-481 - Treasure Island $), the piece on the left being the best (actually four from the GGIE as the bottom ALCOA piece was also given out at the expo). The Honolulu transportation token comes in both zinc and copper nickel and is very common -- that type was used for some time and I think every tourist and serviceman brought back several as souvenirs.

Five out of six isn't bad but the St. Helier piece** is** bad -- it's a fantasy concoction from the 1980's-90's related to several other pseudo-WWII fantasy pieces from the Channel Islands.

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    the St. Helier piece** is** bad -- it's a fantasy concoction from the 1980's-90's related to several other pseudo-WWII fantasy pieces from the Channel Islands.

Why would someone make fantasy pieces like this? What was the motivation to do such a thing?

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    The dollar size Tombstone Helldorado Days pieces were struck in copper and aluminum, the copper strikes being more commonly found based on my experience. The Anillo pieces are simply salesman samples. Peter Spooner sets the date as circa 1950's in his catalog which makes some sense due to their similarity to the 1949 Long Beach Centennial Days issues which use much of the same wording (Shootin Lunchin Hangin, Rip-Roaring, etc). It's possible that the Tombstone pieces were issued first. Los Angeles Rubber Stamp Co. most probably made both.

The inspiration for both pieces might be HK-689, the common Wolfville Western Days piece from 1933 which carries the same general theme.

Also note that there is a series of good for tokens from the Helldorado Bank of Tombstone issued for the 50th Anniversary of the city in 1929 (Spooner TOM-060 through -070).

Great information .

Many thanks!

Z

• Options

@Zoins said:

@tokenpro said:
    the St. Helier piece** is** bad -- it's a fantasy concoction from the 1980's-90's related to several other pseudo-WWII fantasy pieces from the Channel Islands.

Why would someone make fantasy pieces like this? What was the motivation to do such a thing?

One answer to both questions - $$$.

• Options

@tokenpro said:

@Zoins said:

@tokenpro said:

One answer to both questions - $$$.

Do we know who made and sold these?

• Options

@coinsarefun said:

Well, after doing a bit of research POST purchase (as usual for me) I find that the Medal / Notgeld attribution controversy is very similar to the Token / Medal attribution controversy, except in the Notgeld's case, I think the presence of a valuation is critical, unlike that for tokens.

It seems my porcelain piece above is NOT a Notgeld, but a medal. It was however, manufactured by porcelain manufacturer Meissen in Meissen, Germany - just up the Elbe River from Dresden.

Meissen made this medal during the Notgeld heydays of 1921 - 1922. Their work can be easily identified as they "trademark" just about everything they make with their logo of crossed swords / "scimitars".

Meissen, established in 1710, is still manufacturing some amazing porcelain today. An astounding fact given the history of their location. Their website is quite amazing and their craftsmanship is clearly visible in their limited edition Masterwork and Showpiece Collections. It is worth a visit.

https://www.meissen.com/en/

Here is a bit of the company history.

https://www.meissen.com/en/geschichte

I plan on picking up some of their "between the wars" Notgeld pieces. They seem to be relatively plentiful and affordable.

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@coinsarefun said:

It seems my porcelain piece above is NOT a Notgeld, but a medal. It was however, manufactured by porcelain manufacturer Meissen in Meissen, Germany - just up the Elbe River from Dresden.

I plan on picking up some of their "between the wars" Notgeld pieces. They seem to be relatively plentiful and affordable.

Z

Interesting read, thanks for the links. I didn't pay attention to the diameter but, at 45mm I guess it would be a medal.
    I just realized that this is the Meissen Porcelain that they always talk about on Antiques Roadshow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file