Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Token Thursday!

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

That's an awesome August Conrad Frank token!

I'm a fan of these and have a whole bunch. Here's one of my favorites:

How in the world do you guys find all these error strike tokens/coins. Amazing. I have never seen one for sale other than a couple of forumites that sell them. I guess the price would probably drive me away. :s
    That is a gorgeous token, especially with the strike.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

I have no idea what this token represents but it is a bit odd.

• Options

@massscrew said:
    I'm fairly new to tokens. This is my best piece by far. I've posted it before somewhere here, but it's a great time to share it again.. More to come:

VERY COOL!!

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    As per my normal normal, I'll see something, become enamored with the design, buy it, then learn about what I got.

I know very little about this one other than it was called "Una and the Lion" by the seller. I guess I'll find out how big it is and what it's made of when it arrives.

Seller just said its about the same size as a silver dollar. Not sure if it's copper or brass from the photos. Seller called it "circulated." Looks like a nice AU to me. It has a little staining on the obverse but the reverse looks pretty clean.

Z

Well, it shows that you have a good eye to what looks as a beautiful design Una and the Lion is probably one of THE most recognized British Coin design.
    One sold for over $800k
    Even the remakes in silver and gold sell for multiples thousands! Ive tried to get one of the gold ones when released from the mint but so dang expensive! But do wish I bought the silver.....affordable and high graded ones sell for big bucks
    As to your token I think its rather common but supper nice. I'm looking for an example too.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    I couldn’t help myself and went ahead and purchased this one.

Great minds . . . . with outstanding taste . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@GoldenEgg ,

Exactly what determines the distinction between the two?

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:
    Since others have started posting medals in this thread dedicated to tokens, I’ll contribute a medal too :smile:

Wow! That's beautiful!

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@coinsarefun said:

>

Z

.LOL when did you get yours? There are several designs we share a common love for

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    @GoldenEgg ,

Exactly what determines the distinction between the two?

Z

Like everything in life, there is no absolute consensus and various groups have different definitions. But, the most basic characteristic to differentiate the two is that tokens are generally used as a mode of exchange, while a medal is not.

• Options

@coinsarefun said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@coinsarefun said:

>

Z

.LOL when did you get yours? There are several designs we share a common love for

Back in late October / early November.

Z

• Options

Nice Kagin tokens @coinsarefun and @ZoidMeister. I couldn't resist picking one up as well but need to find it now!

• Options

• Options

@Lazybones said:
    At one time, I had 28 of these...

Man, I wish I had ONE of them . . . . .

Z

• Options
    Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 4:09PM

Don't know anything about this token, I found it in one of my Aunt's junk boxes. Since she apparently didn't vaue it much, it is probably worth a fortune.... :D

I suspect it is from one of the coal mine company stores.

• Options

I just loved this little token because it shares some design elements with a couple of my favorite So-Called Dollars.

It will also cross post well into the Coin Club and Numismatic Medals thread . . . .

Z

• Options

@Bruce7789 said:
    Don't know anything about this token, I found it in one of my Aunt's junk boxes. Since she apparently didn't vaue it much, it is probably worth a fortune.... :D

I suspect it is from one of the coal mine company stores.

This is about as close as I could get . . . .

Z

http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=339064&inventory_id=502686&td_image_id=325856&attribution_id=346275

• Options

And because I've been educated that a "true token" should bear a value to be used in commerce . . . .

• Options

. . . . . . or exchangeable for merchandise . . . .

• Options

But I like the strictly commemorative types as well . . . .

Although these sneak in a four-bit valuation on the reverse as well . . .

Z

• Options
    edited April 1, 2021 5:31PM

@coinsarefun said:
    Love these @TURBO How many varieties do you have? I have only been able to find 5 or 6 different ones.

I didn't even know there were different varieties. You should post a pic of each for educational purposes. EDITED! I just found out that you already have posted more info on this token! Very cool!!! :)

• Options

@TURBO said:

@coinsarefun said:
    Love these @TURBO How many varieties do you have? I have only been able to find 5 or 6 different ones.

I didn't even know there were different varieties. You should post a pic of each for educational purposes.

.okay I will soon. I have a group image but hard to see so small. Another member here says he has
    ( I think) found 20 different. I must not be working that hard on finding them.....lol

• Options
    Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

> > This is about as close as I could get . . . .

Well thanks for even looking! Does the hole punched in the one you found mean it has been used? If so and the A.B. Supply Co. is still in business, then I have .25 credit coming! What are the odds it's still in business....Not good i would think.

Thanks again,

Bruce

• Options

@TURBO said:

@coinsarefun said:

I didn't even know there were different varieties. You should post a pic of each for educational purposes. EDITED! I just found out that you already have posted more info on this token! Very cool!!! :)

**I totally forgot I started this thread in October 2018 **

• Options

One of my favorite Civil War Tokens :)

This can do double-duty in the I love looking at this thread.

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:
    A G. Soley piece with a clip.

Nice. I've never seen one with a clip before!

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

HA had their token auction tonight. On first pass when the tokens were listed I didn’t see much, however upon reflection and closer examination there were a number of really nice Patriotic CWT. I probably bid strong on 8-10 lots. Of course, Many of the top pops went for stronger money again ($500 ish) and I lost out. At the end, I did manage to win 2. I picked up one of my targeted top two tokens. The other token was a top pop that for unexplained reasons to me, seemed to go cheap. I also misjudged three more common cwt tokens (but they had really nice eye appeal) that went off in a row. They went for slightly high(but within reason) prices, and I had hoped to win at least one, however misjudged and lost all three. Anyways here are the HA pics of the token I had targeted and was able to win. The grade isn’t spectacular, but I rarely see this design look this nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file