Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Token Thursday!

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HashTag said:

Courtesy of ANA Triva hunt. AND yes, look real close and you’ll see two tokens. My grandson cleaned up…I got an ink pen.

Absolutely fantastic!!!

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    That’s a nice one @Sonorandesertrat

Merci. :)

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2021 6:53PM

I picked this up recently just cause I’m living in HB. The We Shop isn’t there anymore, would be cool if it was. 221 Main Street is a Starbucks now 🌝

Mr_Spud

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    I picked this up recently just cause I’m living in HB. The We Shop isn’t there anymore, would be cool if it was. 221 Main Street is a Starbucks now 🌝

I don’t know we live so close…….your just a hop, skip and a jump away from my house :D
    I don’t remember the We Store but prolly have been to the Starbucks

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:

I couldn't fund much online about The We Shop in Huntington Beach but I did find this token on eBay. It's nice that this is a bit larger and described what kind of shop it was, a coin shop!

• Options
    edited August 24, 2021 1:38AM

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    1860 Apollo Gardens (Hess & Speidel). The bust of Apollo is possibly Joseph Merriam's best design.

Agree. That is a great design! I also love how sharp his letters always are.

Did Joseph Merriam do this by copying a bust sculpture or is this an original?

• Options

Love that JELL-O and Hostess token @Twobitcollector !

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    1860 Apollo Gardens (Hess & Speidel). The bust of Apollo is possibly Joseph Merriam's best design.

I think he copied it, with a few changes. Apollo Belvedere is a famous Roman statue (marble, a bit larger than life-size) that is on display in the Vatican Museums. It was discovered during the Renaissance and has been widely admired ever since. Portions of the statue (typically the head and shoulders, plus the cape) have been frequently copied in marble or cast in plaster/concrete, for display in private gardens and public places in Europe and the U. S.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

This is an "old friend of mine!" I purchased it out of Q. David Bowers extensive set. He had two. I kept both for a long time because they are rare birds, and they both are gorgeous.

I believe, after studying Merriam's work or a long time, that his subjects are derived from things he probably saw in books and in the newspapers of the day.

This is one of my favorite designs.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    1814 BRASS INSEPARABLE FRIENDS / TO ELBA. "WE CONQUOUR TO SET FREE / EMP. / OF RUSSIA / K. OF PRUSSIA / MARQUIS / WELLINGTON / PRINCE / SCHWARTZEN- / BERG /

By Kettle & Sons
    I've searched for years and this one suddenly popped up. I think it was worth the wait.

BTW, there is a nice discussion here

Nice one Steph.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited September 2, 2021 7:19AM

1907 John Ericsson Robert Fulton Steam Navigation Store Card - by Thomas Lindsay Elder - Brass - DeLorey-11 - NGC MS65 PL

A Steam Navigation Centennial Store Card Token!

How many people have store cards that were also anniversary tokens? A lot of people had tokens for huge expos like 1876 and WCE, but how many outside of those?

Do we celebrate centennials like this any more?

• Options

@Zoins said:
    1907 John Ericsson Robert Fulton Steam Navigation Store Card - by Thomas Lindsay Elder - Brass - DeLorey-11 - NGC MS65 PL

A Steam Navigation Centennial Store Card Token!

How many people have store cards that were also anniversary tokens? A lot of people had tokens for huge expos like 1876 and WCE, but how many outside of those?

Do we celebrate centennials like this any more?

I’ve been meaning to comment on this one since you posted it. I really like this one a lot. I was watching but forgot. I’m very happy it went to someone I know. It is a very cool piece on many levels besides a great celebration and very good die work. Congratulations on a very pretty pickup

• Options
    edited September 30, 2021 6:46AM
  • Options

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
  • Options

It's been a while since anyone contributed to this thread.

I'll keep it alive with a Patrick Mint token . . . .

This one is especially nice.

Z

An 1817/14 Classic Head Liberty Large Cent

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    I don't know if any of you are into these, but I have recently "discovered" vintage the object of exonumia known as the Masonic Penny. While most of these I have seen have been quite pedestrian in design, there are a FEW that stand out.

I am guessing the dates on some of these are the original founding dates of whatever Masonic Chapter they are commemorating, but just from the looks of the strikes, these look pretty darn vintage.

I have received a few more than I have imaged right now, but I'll share a couple I have photos of. There are a few more interesting designs I need to photograph.

For your enjoyment.

Z

Holten Royal Arch Chapter (Danvers, Mass) - dated 1872

There is a dated but still good reference book called "Masonic Chapter Pennies" by E.A. King, Originally published in 1926, copyright 1930 and copyrights again in 1972 by Quarterman Publications, Inc. It was edited and republished January 1972 by Richard T. Johnson.

There is a gallery of pictures at the end and there is even a section on Canadian Lodges and foreign Lodges. I have, being a Mason and receiving my first Masonic Penny during my initiation in 1986 in Misawa, Japan is where my collection started. I grew up and also now live in Georgia so the bulk of my collection is from Georgia Lodges. The book is broken down by state and then the foreign section. There is not a section for Japanese Lodges but Aomori #10 F&AM is listed in the "book of lodges" at the end of the book. They fell under the Grand Lodge of the Philippnes initially.

I found my copy on Ebay quite a few years ago and it's getting pretty well worn now.

It's a really good reference, not so much for values but at least it will give you a starting point for sorting your collection out.

• Options

@Klif50 said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    I don't know if any of you are into these, but I have recently "discovered" vintage the object of exonumia known as the Masonic Penny. While most of these I have seen have been quite pedestrian in design, there are a FEW that stand out.

There is a dated but still good reference book called "Masonic Chapter Pennies" by E.A. King, Originally published in 1926, copyright 1930 and copyrights again in 1972 by Quarterman Publications, Inc. It was edited and republished January 1972 by Richard T. Johnson.

There is a gallery of pictures at the end and there is even a section on Canadian Lodges and foreign Lodges. I have, being a Mason and receiving my first Masonic Penny during my initiation in 1986 in Misawa, Japan is where my collection started. I grew up and also now live in Georgia so the bulk of my collection is from Georgia Lodges. The book is broken down by state and then the foreign section. There is not a section for Japanese Lodges but Aomori #10 F&AM is listed in the "book of lodges" at the end of the book. They fell under the Grand Lodge of the Philippnes initially.

I found my copy on Ebay quite a few years ago and it's getting pretty well worn now.

It's a really good reference, not so much for values but at least it will give you a starting point for sorting your collection out.

Klif,

Many thanks for the reference! My collection of these amazing Masonic Pennies has grown quite considerably since that older post you quoted. As a matter of fact, I have a pretty special one arriving this afternoon, if the Post Office says what their website says they'll do.

Here are a couple newer examples I've picked up. I have started concentrating on the more unique examples that Masons have "personalized" with their mark upon receipt of their 4th Degree.

BTW, I live in Lilburn, GA and while not a Mason, I am a Knight in the KofC organization. I need to get off my butt and get my 4th Degree completed.

Here are some really attractive pennies . . . .

Z

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    oh and my raw (1850) Parker So Called Slug J-830, reverse coin turn

Stephanie,

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but the SF slug I posted earlier is also coin turn orientation.

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@Klif50 said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Klif,

Many thanks for the reference! My collection of these amazing Masonic Pennies has grown quite considerably since that older post you quoted. As a matter of fact, I have a pretty special one arriving this afternoon, if the Post Office says what their website says they'll do.

Here are a couple newer examples I've picked up. I have started concentrating on the more unique examples that Masons have "personalized" with their mark upon receipt of their 4th Degree.

BTW, I live in Lilburn, GA and while not a Mason, I am a Knight in the KofC organization. I need to get off my butt and get my 4th Degree completed.

Here are some really attractive pennies . . . .

Z

@ZoidMeister Very nice additions. I have quite a few Masconic pennies and I also have a small collection of the "Made a Mason" coins. Most of them are silver and about half dollar size (they may have planed off the design on half dollars to make these). There is the usual Square and Compasses on one side and the other side says Made a Mason with a space to have engraved the date of the first degree, second degree and third degree. In Masonry there are only 3 degrees in the Blue Lodge, Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason. There are attendant degrees in Scottish Rite and York Rite bodies which go from 4th degree to 32nd degree with a highly cherished and only bestowed on the best of the best 33rd degree.

I have quite a bit of regalia that I have picked up at estate sales where the family of a Mason doesn't really know what to do with the stuff after the man passes. Everything from lamb skin aprons (which should have been buried with the Mason) to sets of working tools, cyphers and degree study books, Masonic bibles (usually presented during the 3rd lecture) and various commentaries on the fraternity.

Good luck with your progress and keep adding. As most of the active Masons age out, and with fewer younger men wanting to join the fraternity, many Lodges are going dark and will cease to exist. Just their pennies left behind to remind people of who and where they were.

Cliff Master Mason and 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason.

• Options

@Klif50 said:

Very nice additions. I have quite a few Masconic pennies and I also have a small collection of the "Made a Mason" coins. Most of them are silver and about half dollar size (they may have planed off the design on half dollars to make these). There is the usual Square and Compasses on one side and the other side says Made a Mason with a space to have engraved the date of the first degree, second degree and third degree. In Masonry there are only 3 degrees in the Blue Lodge, Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason. There are attendant degrees in Scottish Rite and York Rite bodies which go from 4th degree to 32nd degree with a highly cherished and only bestowed on the best of the best 33rd degree.

I have quite a bit of regalia that I have picked up at estate sales where the family of a Mason doesn't really know what to do with the stuff after the man passes. Everything from lamb skin aprons (which should have been buried with the Mason) to sets of working tools, cyphers and degree study books, Masonic bibles (usually presented during the 3rd lecture) and various commentaries on the fraternity.

Good luck with your progress and keep adding. As most of the active Masons age out, and with fewer younger men wanting to join the fraternity, many Lodges are going dark and will cease to exist. Just their pennies left behind to remind people of who and where they were.

I'm still searching for some silver ones. I let a few slip through my finger by way of computer glitches.......so sad.
    Its nice to have a few Masons here on the forum. I have a few also but mostly Lodge medals and and mixture of
    things. Pictorials are what I'm drawn to. Ive been told several are quite rare but not so sure regarding that statement.

• Options

@coinsarefun said:

@Klif50 said:

Very nice additions. I have quite a few Masconic pennies and I also have a small collection of the "Made a Mason" coins. Most of them are silver and about half dollar size (they may have planed off the design on half dollars to make these). There is the usual Square and Compasses on one side and the other side says Made a Mason with a space to have engraved the date of the first degree, second degree and third degree. In Masonry there are only 3 degrees in the Blue Lodge, Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason. There are attendant degrees in Scottish Rite and York Rite bodies which go from 4th degree to 32nd degree with a highly cherished and only bestowed on the best of the best 33rd degree.

I'm still searching for some silver ones. I let a few slip through my finger by way of computer glitches.......so sad.
    Its nice to have a few Masons here on the forum. I have a few also but mostly Lodge medals and and mixture of
    things. Pictorials are what I'm drawn to. Ive been told several are quite rare but not so sure regarding that statement.

Very nice pieces. Your are mostly high grade and that is nice. Most of mine came from estates and such and many were carried as a pocket piece or calling card and are well worn. The history behind the pennies is amazing and if you can go back and research each of the Lodges they represent I think you would be in for a treat.

Cliff

• Options

@Klif50 said:

Very nice pieces. Your are mostly high grade and that is nice. Most of mine came from estates and such and many were carried as a pocket piece or calling card and are well worn. The history behind the pennies is amazing and if you can go back and research each of the Lodges they represent I think you would be in for a treat.

Cliff

Thanks so much. I have searched the three on the bottom left and a few are from our founding fathers. To me they were the most special and I think all three are still open today. Another one was founded by Paul Revere (I think)

• Options

Cliff,

And my photography skills will never come close to those by @coinsarefun , but here is the Penny that arrived today.

I admittedly know little to nothing on the Lodges that issued the strikes that I have, and I tend to get what I can afford vs. the highest grades, but I was very happy to have found this one.

Like the "Made a Mason" half dollar Masonic pennies you mention, this one had the obverse filed off and the Made a Mason engraving covering the entire coin. It was engraved with quite some skill over a 1895 British Penny, which in my mind is even more apropos for the term.

I don't know where the "Pentalpha R.A.C" hails from, but I am guessing it is located in England.

Pardon the photography skills, or lack thereof . . . . . .

Z

@Klif50

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    Cliff,

And my photography skills will never come close to those by @coinsarefun , but here is the Penny that arrived today.

I admittedly know little to nothing on the Lodges that issued the strikes that I have, and I tend to get what I can afford vs. the highest grades, but I was very happy to have found this one.

Like the "Made a Mason" half dollar Masonic pennies you mention, this one had the obverse filed off and the Made a Mason engraving covering the entire coin. It was engraved with quite some skill over a 1895 British Penny, which in my mind is even more apropos for the term.

I don't know where the "Pentalpha R.A.C" hails from, but I am guessing it is located in England.

Pardon the photography skills, or lack thereof . . . . . .

Z

@Klif50

What an excellent piece to add to your collection. I suspect it is from a Lodge in Sussex, England but lacking the Lodge Number I am not sure. It's is an excellent job of engraving, given the smallish size of the British Penny, and the details are exquisite (from my tired and ailing eyes anyway).

Keep working on your collection. At some point, if you decide to become a Mason, all you have to do is to find one in your area and ask. The motto is "To Be One, Ask One", no one will ever ask anyone to join, it has to be of your own free will and accord to approach the Lodge and ask to join.

Good luck,
    Cliff

• Options

Well, Thursday is not quite over yet so I thought I would include various half and quarter eagles,
    With the last one being a silvered quarter eagle that PCGS refers to as a “dime”
    Some are graded, other are not.

Half Eagles.

Quarter Eagles

Silvered, which PCGS refers to as ‘dime”

• Options

We've missed a few weeks. It's time to revive Token Thursday!

I'll start with this pair.

Z

• Options

Wow! You have a silver and copper @ZoidMeister! Congrats!

• Options

@Zoins said:

Two sets, actually. I would have more if @coinsarefun were a little "poorer" . . . . .

She grabs all the obverses and leaves me with the scraps, the reverses . . . . . . .

A Chain Cent reverse anyone?

Z

• Options

Actually, I follow her around like a lost little puppy dog . . . . .

She opens my eyes to what is out there and what is possible . . . . .

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@Zoins said:

Two sets, actually. I would have more if @coinsarefun were a little "poorer" . . . . .

She grabs all the obverses and leaves me with the scraps, the reverses . . . . . . .

A Chain Cent reverse anyone?

Z

Wow! So you get the reverses and she get the obverses. What a great arrangement!

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    I finally found the images of both tokens that share the common obverse.

Great pieces by Joseph Henry Ripstra using an original die from F. C. Key and Sons!

This is the Fuld 129 die and looks close to the Fuld 131 die owned by @BillJones .

• Options
    edited November 11, 2021 10:19AM

I always liked this matched pair. I purchased from a dealer that had several thousand of Benjamin Fauver’s collection.
    Among other dealers that has them too. These are both AU58 and silvered brass, tho not noted by PCGS. You can see a fair amount
    still remains. 1850's Miller Tenn-32 & 33 . Brass M.H. Miller & Co.
    You can also see they used the obverse on one merchant token and reverse on the other.

I also like looking up the address of the business and sometimes the building are still remain but looks like this one got
    turned into a parking structure.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:

Great pieces by Joseph Henry Ripstra using an original die from F. C. Key and Sons!

This is the Fuld 129 die and looks close to the Fuld 131 die owned by @BillJones .

Yes, these are the ones I was searching for on another thread discussing who owns the dies.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:

I also had this for some time now. It appears he put together a set for the 1965 Central States Numismatic Society Medal Civil War Centennial. But if you notice there are 2 different engraver. Kofink & Ripstra had a gold one that sold a little while back in a group of most valuable Lincoln portraits. If I find the link I will post it here.
    The two uniface medals I found separately, possibly made for engraving?

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

• Options

Another quickie before I leave the office for the day . . . . .

Z

• Options

Okay, two quickies . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a transportation token from the Allentown Traction Co. made of a fabric that is rarely encountered in any type of token or medal, namely mica impregnated vulcanite or celluloid. This piece from Allentown, Pennsylvania (Atwood-Coffee PA15C) is the only token in brown vulcanite as listed in the catalog (although I believe it is probably celluloid and not vulcanite); the only other mica impregnated piece is Allentown PA 15B which is listed as black celluloid.

Both tokens were extremely rare until a group of the brown PA 15C turned up about 45 years ago. Although that group has been long absorbed it is still somewhat easy (with patience) to acquire an example. The black 15B token was an underlined census token (three or fewer known) when the last census was taken and no doubt is still the same today (I can account for two pieces total). The tokens date from the late 1870's to the 1880's.

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    Here is a transportation token from the Allentown Traction Co. made of a fabric that is rarely encountered in any type of token or medal, namely mica impregnated vulcanite or celluloid. This piece from Allentown, Pennsylvania (Atwood-Coffee PA15C) is the only token in brown vulcanite as listed in the catalog (although I believe it is probably celluloid and not vulcanite); the only other mica impregnated piece is Allentown PA 15B which is listed as black celluloid.

Both tokens were extremely rare until a group of the brown PA 15C turned up about 45 years ago. Although that group has been long absorbed it is still somewhat easy (with patience) to acquire an example. The black 15B token was an underlined census token (three or fewer known) when the last census was taken and no doubt is still the same today (I can account for two pieces total). The tokens date from the late 1870's to the 1880's.

Great information and token! It's amazing what you can learn on a Thursday on the forums!

Do we know who supplied the raw materials and who did the striking?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file