Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Grade Poppage Thread (Through-Date Estimation)

Comments

• azvikeazvike Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

84 subs?...Wow, Blurry...I thought my 11 was a lot...LOL - Good Luck on them!

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2021 2:24PM

@azvike said:
    84 subs?...Wow, Blurry...I thought my 11 was a lot...LOL - Good Luck on them!

yep. unfortunately now. it was mostly fun while it lasted.

• OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

It's been 120 days since PSA reported CTD's on March 1. Since then, the time to complete the final orders for non-expedited service levels have extended 35 to 72 days from where they were on March 1, with Quarterly Specials now at a whopping 316 days.

great design. makes the lack of movement almost bearable.

who am i kidding? no it doesnt.

• envoy982envoy982 Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

Express and Value vintage took big jumps, moving from 4/6 => 4/29 and from 9/30 => 10/7 respectively. Anyone speculating or have info on what may or may not open up in July? I'm presuming express will be first, especially given the big jump in CTD. Also, do we think regular stays anywhere near that $100 mark or do they adjust it down?

• Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@envoy982 said:
    or do they adjust it down?

This made me giggle

• @Jayman1982 said:

@envoy982 said:

This made me giggle

me too :D

• mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

Just had a 76 card Value-modern hit assembly that arrived 10/9/20 and was entered 1/14/21. Was not expecting that for a few more months.

• @mrburns443 said:
    Just had a 76 card Value-modern hit assembly that arrived 10/9/20 and was entered 1/14/21. Was not expecting that for a few more months.

does make you wonder about the"batch fifo" when there are so many 2020 entered subs still not getting a sniff. is the "batch fifo" a rolling 3 month window , hmmm

nevertheless it is nice to see more movement recently and nice to see the ctd roll into October for vintage

@Jayman1982 said:

@envoy982 said:

This made me giggle

I was being a bit facetious as once a price or tax is set in most things it sort of becomes the accepted norm. But I really do wonder if they'll keep pricing as it is given that the increases were presumed to be a deterrent to slow the influx of cards. Wasn't regular $20 or $25 last spring? Why would anyone pay $100 for a $999 max value card and get a turnaround time of 6-9 months. I don't expect to see $6 or $9 fees again but $100 for regular, especially with no turnaround time expectations is obscene and $50 on economy is even worse.

@envoy982 said:

@Jayman1982 said:

@envoy982 said:

This made me giggle

I was being a bit facetious as once a price or tax is set in most things it sort of becomes the accepted norm. But I really do wonder if they'll keep pricing as it is given that the increases were presumed to be a deterrent to slow the influx of cards. Wasn't regular $20 or $25 last spring? Why would anyone pay $100 for a $999 max value card and get a turnaround time of 6-9 months. I don't expect to see $6 or $9 fees again but $100 for regular, especially with no turnaround time expectations is obscene and $50 on economy is even worse.

I think a price drop is going to require a precipitous drop off in new submissions, but will this happen in 2021? Not likely. What's more likely is a euphoric avalanche of submissions for the next 6 months, at whatever price points they re-open at, and then a general slowing submission trend as the market gets saturated with all those outstanding 2020 orders. Once all the new investor types start to panic as valuations drop due to the influx of freshly graded cards, maybe say early 2022, there will be an accelerated decline in new PSA subs, after a couple quarters of dwindling profits we might see a return to lower fees, but like you said I don't believe we will see pre-pandemic pricing ever again, ie. under $10/card for bulk. I'm calling $15-$17.50/card for a modern 100+ card bulk submission come November 2022.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my subs that was logged in July 2020 recently moved from assembly to QA/QC. Hoping for my other July 2020 to finish the grading stage soon. The rest of mine logged between Aug 2020 through Mar 2021 are still mostly in research stage with a couple holding in the grading phase. Hoping for anything under a 1-year T.A.T. on any of these subs (but not expecting).

• swish54swish54 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭

Had surprise movement this week. 74 card football special:
    Arrived: 1/5
    Entered: 1/11
    Grading: 6/28

@Jayman1982 said:

I think a price drop is going to require a precipitous drop off in new submissions, but will this happen in 2021? Not likely. What's more likely is a euphoric avalanche of submissions for the next 6 months, at whatever price points they re-open at, and then a general slowing submission trend as the market gets saturated with all those outstanding 2020 orders. Once all the new investor types start to panic as valuations drop due to the influx of freshly graded cards, maybe say early 2022, there will be an accelerated decline in new PSA subs, after a couple quarters of dwindling profits we might see a return to lower fees, but like you said I don't believe we will see pre-pandemic pricing ever again, ie. under $10/card for bulk. I'm calling $15-$17.50/card for a modern 100+ card bulk submission come November 2022.

Well said. I absolutely agree on the "euphoric avalanche of submissions" and on the influx of 2020 submissions that are going to hit the market. Based on the Pop-Report numbers, I expect basketball to really get hammered on prices, particularly the '20 rookie class. Since I started tracking 5 weeks ago, basketball is running >60k/wk. Baseball at 40k and football at 18k. I have a number of modern $100-200 cards that I will probably send to the tuxedo company. I'll hold out hope PSA reopens at some level that makes sense for the NFL HOF RC's I want to get slabbed.

Ultimately I'm just hoping for something price-sensible that allows me to submit some stuff for my PC and doesn't take 12 months to get back and cost me more than the card is worth while being able to flip some other stuff to pay for the PC. That model used to work really well for me, at these prices and turnaround times, it no longer does.

@envoy982 said:

@Jayman1982 said:

Well said. I absolutely agree on the "euphoric avalanche of submissions" and on the influx of 2020 submissions that are going to hit the market. Based on the Pop-Report numbers, I expect basketball to really get hammered on prices, particularly the '20 rookie class. Since I started tracking 5 weeks ago, basketball is running >60k/wk. Baseball at 40k and football at 18k. I have a number of modern $100-200 cards that I will probably send to the tuxedo company. I'll hold out hope PSA reopens at some level that makes sense for the NFL HOF RC's I want to get slabbed.

Ultimately I'm just hoping for something price-sensible that allows me to submit some stuff for my PC and doesn't take 12 months to get back and cost me more than the card is worth while being able to flip some other stuff to pay for the PC. That model used to work really well for me, at these prices and turnaround times, it no longer does.

This hobby is going to change drastically over the next year I fear. I'm very much following your strategy, I'm only going to submit cards I would be happy holding in my PC. I stopped selling on eBay altogether for various reasons and have only been adding cards to my collection I feel are still at good value price points. Lucky for me I collect hockey and it hasn't experienced the same drastic swings as the big 3 sports.

@Jayman1982 - I am showing hockey is running about 2400 cards/wk. Soccer is ~triple that. Hockey may very well end up being the most stable price-wise.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭

Value Modern
    Arrived = 10/29/20
    Logged = 01/25/21
    Grading = 06/30/21

WOW! I just received the "Review Your order" email! So exciting... it's nice to see the cards actually listed on my order status page. Can't wait to finally see the grades and get these things back, even though they're now worth much less than they were 8 months ago.

subbed for a buddy. cant get my 3 month regular out, but they sure are banging these $300 subs out quick.

• weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Their monologue about FIFO on their site....I mean do the people that write that stuff even look at what actually is happening? Not really, it seems.

My Yzerman rookies all took a 30-50% cut at PSA9 and lower....not sure hockey will be spared.

Things will get worse before they get better. Am I talking about the market? PSA glacial TAT? My cholesterol based on this trip to the Chinese buffet?

YES!

• demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

@envoy982 said:

@Jayman1982 said:

They'll see an avalanche the first month they open UM bulk, but nothing compared to the volume they would have received had they been open the whole time.

If not for their backlog, I doubt they'd have any trouble staying caught up with their current pricing and the current prices on the secondary market. When this started, you could get a 9 on something like a 2019 Donruss Tyler Herro and do ok with their much lower grading fees. Today, even with 10's, second/third tier base rc's from most 2019 basketball products would be money losers at $25 per slab. Same with 2020 baseball. And I don't see many people gambling on 10 2020 Chronicles Tyrese Maxey base cards at $25 each but they were getting the equivalent of that from 2019.

To put it differently--if they announced that all existing orders would be charged in accordance with today's prices or have to be returned ungraded, what % of the large 100+ orders would remain there? I'd bet less than 30%.

So, no, I don't think they'll have an avalanche of new submissions for 6 months whenever they re-open with today's prices, but the initial surge will be large so it makes sense to delay it. Unlike other fees (like ebay), grading fees have always ebbed and flowed and that will continue.

• PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

The only two dates that matter to me are the date the cards leave my house, and the date the cards return to my house. Everything else is just random movements of the cards along the assembly line.

I have an order that left my house on 06/30/20, which makes it one full year. And the order is still in grading! Disgraceful.

The sad part about it is that it was my son's first order. He was so excited when he saw that his cards actually had good value. Now the excitement is gone, the values are dropping, and PSA has probably lost a potential future customer right from the start. He doesn't even ask about it anymore. Just sucks.

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭

Expectations are always letdowns. And anyone foolish- or brave enough - to tempt "profit" in this industry better have a business hobby IQ well above normal, or develop an impeccable sense of hobby timing ,and have enough stuff in line to always have something burning hot.

CTD is off . By quite a bit. They are still handling the end of Sept bulk lambasting just before the 1st price increase. I am seeing some Oct start of month trickle out, but not much else bulk wise. Still in about a 12 -13 month cycle there.
    While all my old Economy are now done, same cant be said of my Regular, and based on new pricing my mouth stays shut.
    Didn't expect them back until July ,and that's looking like the case. Just in time for the National is all I cared about.

There was panic bill paying days in April 2020 where tons of good buys were made on a lot of current and future HOF in various sports, and I am seeing panic selling days starting again as credit card bills are coming due and people need to recoup expenses (apparently they spent the Covid $$ they were supposed to save to pay for these orders).

@blurryface I expect nothing less- money week they always blast out the $$$ subs last week of every month
    Gotta move that EBITDA bar ;)

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2021 9:42PM

I'm wondering if my prediction is correct? They will not open an East coast office that grades cards. Having a company that is in a very high priced area is not good. What kind of job candidates can live in Newport Beach? They must get 18 year olds who live at home with mom and dad. Anyone have any info on this. I mean, what would a nice 1 bedroom apartment cost in Newport Beach?? Isn't SGC in some resort area also?

• Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:
    I'm wondering if my prediction is correct? They will not open an East coast office that grades cards. Having a company that is in a very high priced area is not good. What kind of job candidates can live in Newport Beach? They must get 18 year olds who live at home with mom and dad. Anyone have any info on this. I mean, what would a nice 1 bedroom apartment cost in Newport Beach?? Isn't SGC in some resort area also?

That's the ultimate truth! We must have at least ..... 4 PSA facilities that GRADE every corner of the USA! PSA could do this , so we'll never be backed up again! It's the only..... Smartest option!

@Historicalwood71 said:

@Mickey71 said:

That's the ultimate truth! We must have at least ..... 4 PSA facilities that GRADE every corner of the USA! PSA could do this , so we'll never be backed up again! It's the only..... Smartest option!

4 facilities is surely not going to happen. I'm surprised they did not have 2 facilities 10 years ago.

@Mickey71 said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

@Mickey71 said:

4 facilities is surely not going to happen. I'm surprised they did not have 2 facilities 10 years ago.

Well, how about 3? East coast and smack dab Texas?

@Historicalwood71 said:

@Mickey71 said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

@Mickey71 said:

Well, how about 3? East coast and smack dab Texas?

I think we'll be lucky if they open 1 more. It's not rocket science and it hasn't happened yet. We'll see. They have a lot of things on their plate. They better come up with some answers about high prices and cards taking 1.5-2 years to grade. This is not all bad; but they better figure it out soon or it could get bad/worse.

• OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Big changes reported on today's CTD page ...

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Submitted a few packs. These are my first pack submissions.

Arrived = 04/05/21
    Logged = 05/13/21
    Assembly = 06/30/21

express @ $200 is opened.

• @OneDaysRide said:

A bunch of new info for sure.

I wonder how there is a CC voucher from June 29th?

Also, it seems the bulk submitters are not included in the CTD where it was assumed that the "20 day" was being included in Economy

Only opening express at 200 seems they are committed to working through the Value backlogs to maybe keep the turnarounds under a year

@beachbumcollecting said:

@OneDaysRide said:

Only opening express at 200 seems they are committed to working through the Value backlogs to maybe keep the turnarounds under a year

lets let the kidding stop. of course its not really under a year w a 3 month “log in” period. as many have stated, theres really only 2 dates we care about. the date they arrive and the date they ship. the rest is just fluff to make it appear as if it isnt really as bad as it truly is.

Is it just me, or have they not really made much progress? I would have thought that after shutting down new submissions months ago and hiring hordes of new people, that they would have made much more progress...I am really kind of surprised they are still this backed up.

@azvike said:
    Is it just me, or have they not really made much progress? I would have thought that after shutting down new submissions months ago and hiring hordes of new people, that they would have made much more progress...I am really kind of surprised they are still this backed up.

not just you. have subs dating back to 10/12/20 that arent even in grading yet. closing in on 8 months and still researching. they shouldnt even be opening express, imo.

• TronTron Posts: 64 ✭✭

Opening express was predictable at 200 because it sidesteps any concerns in terms of why they didn't do what they said they were gonna do and so on. It's clearly not appealing for most to pay that much only to get a 4 month turnaround as the definition of "express" when you can flip it at least 2x-3x via alternative avenues. Another week goes by with absolute crickets which is almost mathematically impossible when you have about 10 reg orders and 200+ bulk orders having been there all year by majority. The "Jordan Years" quarterly special is dangerously nearing it's anniversary...at $9/card I have no doubt that it'll get there. They probably giggle when they walk by it as they mutter something about feeling sorry for me or "I hope he's not in any hurry to get those back"

• burghmanburghman Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:

Arrived = 04/05/21
    Logged = 05/13/21
    Assembly = 06/30/21

What level were these subbed at? I have a pack order logged in Jan that hasn’t budged. Granted, it’s 19 post-1981 (cheapest level at the time) wax packs with some “on front/back” designations that probably require some research, but I’m hoping to hear your packs which are flying through at a much faster pace are at a higher level…

Jim

@azvike said:

I don't think we really know if they've hired a bunch of new people. Maybe there's 20 graders. Maybe there's 50 graders. Maybe computers are doing some of the grading. Maybe computers aren't doing any of the grading process. Maybe they're opening an east coast grading office. Maybe they are not opening an east coast grading office. The entire process isn't very transparent. I do think the one thing that is very interesting is that having too much business is actually a problem. Getting too many cards to grade is actually a problem. It is unbelievable. Downright unbelievable. Crazy times.

@burghman said:

@jayhawke said:

Arrived = 04/05/21
    Logged = 05/13/21
    Assembly = 06/30/21

What level were these subbed at? I have a pack order logged in Jan that hasn’t budged. Granted, it’s 19 post-1981 (cheapest level at the time) wax packs with some “on front/back” designations that probably require some research, but I’m hoping to hear your packs which are flying through at a much faster pace are at a higher level…

Regular service level.

@OneDaysRide said:

I can understand express is "caught up", which is what i assume "complete" is supposed to mean. However, how is economy "complete" when it was 9/30/20 as of yesterday? Wasn't that shut down at the same time as everything else? Also, CC Vouchers have not moved since 5/27/21. Is that because they marked them "Sold Out" in mid-September? I feel like my eyes are burning from the smoke and mirrors. And do we really think anyone has been bouncing in their chair waiting for a $200 express level to open up? If I have a card worth spending $200 to be graded, I probably could have convinced myself it was worth $300 and a much faster turnaround time, especially knowing express wasn't going to open up again until at least 7/1.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you have to be a current PSA member to send in cards under the Express or Super Express? I can't find this info anywhere on their site, and you can't currently subscribe for a membership.

At this current pace of uncertainty. I don't believe it was a good move opening back up today for Express. It should be dealt with now and not piling on more. To me, that's asking for trouble. I can actually see another pile on coming. This time around.... Jobs could be on the line. I appreciate the effort, but good grief.... Don't overload yourself more in the name of money.

• TronTron Posts: 64 ✭✭

Why would anyone be interested in paying 200/card for at best a 3 month wait...I'm pretty sure that, even though some will, there will be little movement on the needle. Might as well just drop the 3 bills and at least that way you'll cut your turnaround time by 2/3 and to me that's a no brainer...IF I were in that predicament which I will not be subjecting myself to beyond the half dozen or so regular orders currently outstanding which has been enough abuse as it is and I'm getting waxed at a hundo per card for that painstaking honor. There won't be any hoard of graded cards hitting the market and flooding it either...they can't even churn out what would be necessary for a flood to be felt in the market. Expect steady doses of fluff for the foreseeable future as I believe they're in deeper than we even realize because otherwise we'd be getting more figures to reflect significant progress because it would be prideful. We would likely freak out if we knew the reality which is precisely why they haven't. They're in California where deflection/diversion is an artform the practice often :wink:

edited July 2, 2021 8:27AM

I sent in a Super Express
    Arrived = 06/30/21
    Logged = 06/30/21
    QACHECK 2 = 07/01/21

I'm shocked it should be shipped today. Edited- They shipped today, grades about what I expected, not disappointed.

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭

Tron said:
    Another week goes by with absolute crickets which is almost mathematically impossible when you have about 10 reg orders and 200+ bulk orders having been there all year

I can't even imagine that many cards/orders being out there let alone the credit card charges that are forthcoming. Just wow!! Hopefully not a lot of the hot then & not now stuff.

@jayhawke said:
    Arrived = 06/30/21
    Logged = 06/30/21
    QACHECK 2 = 07/01/21

I'm shocked it should be shipped today. Edited- They shipped today, grades about what I expected, not disappointed.

Lol boy you guys most have some serious money doing super duper Express 😂 good for you!👍

@jayhawke said:
    Arrived = 06/30/21
    Logged = 06/30/21
    QACHECK 2 = 07/01/21

Gotta ask...what was the card and grade?

25 card, economy

arrived: 10/20/20
    logged: 10/26/20
    popped: 6/30/21

notes: grades were slightly below what i thought. for those keeping tally via ctd, this was a group sub. they are their own beast. numbers and dates are not included with the figures stated in the published ctds.

@azvike said:

@jayhawke said:
    Arrived = 06/30/21
    Logged = 06/30/21
    QACHECK 2 = 07/01/21

Gotta ask...what was the card and grade?

A few vintage HOF baseball for my PC.