Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grade Poppage Thread (Through-Date Estimation)

Comments

• Options
    TronTron Posts: 64 ✭✭

regular sub entered 5/11 goes into assembly before the regular order equal in size that was entered 4/8...because of course it would. Why finish the april order when you can finish a may order...duh

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

Has anyone's Ultra Modern Value logged late Oct/early Nov gone into Assembly yet?

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:
    Has anyone's Ultra Modern Value logged late Oct/early Nov gone into Assembly yet?

no. i still have a ton that were logged in late nov that havent even reached grading yet,

• Options

and zero personal data to back this up, but if i had to guess they are now processing modern and jordan subs. they trained all the guys w a good heap of ultra. now getting them familiar w modern and 90s stuff.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    and zero personal data to back this up, but if i had to guess they are now processing modern and jordan subs. they trained all the guys w a good heap of ultra. now getting them familiar w modern and 90s stuff.

Good theory, I had a Jan 25 Value Modern go to grading a couple weeks ago, but its Ultra Mod brother logged on the same day still in Research...

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    One of my subs that was logged in July 2020 recently moved from assembly to QA/QC. Hoping for my other July 2020 to finish the grading stage soon. The rest of mine logged between Aug 2020 through Mar 2021 are still mostly in research stage with a couple holding in the grading phase. Hoping for anything under a 1-year T.A.T. on any of these subs (but not expecting).

Two of my orders logged last year July popped and shipped this week, so bulk looking at 50 weeks for turn-around, but a but more like 54 weeks if I count back to when they were shipped. So yes, they did make it in what I can qualify as less than a year of official processing ;)

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭

Got my own upcharge email on that sub 10320565 I posted above
    Seems the hoop market is ultra hot right now
    Messi was one of those "what the= thought it as a 5 :o " type moments

Line 94 Kobe Bryant 2000 Topps Coast to Coast Refractor CC7 PSA 9 = $20 upcharge
    Line 95 Lebron James 2003 Fleer #261 PSA 10= $75 upcharge
    Line 96 Lionel Messi 2004 MegaCracks Barca Campeon PSA 7 = $50 upcharge
    Line 97 Kevin Durant 2007 Topps #112 1957-58 Variation PSA 10= $20 upcharge
    Line 101 Klay Thompson 2012 Panini Prizm #203 PSA 10 $20 upcharge

• Options
    OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    some good news. without going into details, set collectors need not fret about getting priced out.

Nice!

it is gonna be a while and well after the backlog is taken care of and the initial reopening wave is confirmed under control, but

Guess on timeframe?

there will be a modest discount for pre-80ish cards, a heftier premium will be placed on modern/ultra modern, specials will definitely be done for intermediary years after 80.

Guess on price levels?

supposedly a lot of other things in the works as well.

Guess on an actual PSA announcement timeframe?

• Options

no crystal ball. all depends on the backlog and what happens when they get down to opening up the $50 threshold.

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    no crystal ball. all depends on the backlog and what happens when they get down to opening up the $50 threshold.

My guess is January on the $50 (but likely $60+) threshold. I just think that if they do it in Nov/Dec, they'll have to deal with holiday shipping issues on top of the post offices woes they already face. So my money is on Jan 15th.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2021 9:02AM

@scmavl said:

@blurryface said:

My guess is January on the $50 (but likely $60+) threshold. I just think that if they do it in Nov/Dec, they'll have to deal with holiday shipping issues on top of the post offices woes they already face. So my money is on Jan 15th.

supposedly its $50 blocks?

$300 first
    $200 next
    ($250 national)
    $150 will be next
    $100 next
    $50 floor
    $??? ultra modern
    $??? set registry, specials.

• Options

^. very cool! congrats!!

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭

CRC (damaged in shipment slab) entered July 6th--- popped July 15th. Maintained original grade. But seriously and a $50 floor possibly coming---- as BB King said: The Thrill is Gone.............

• Options
    GOBUCKSGOBUCKS Posts: 47 ✭✭

@scmavl said:

@blurryface said:

What about all the people who paid to be a CC member to get special bulk pricing ? Are they just going to refund everyone's money ? You cant start the clock on the memberships with out special bulk pricing ?

• Options
    envoy982envoy982 Posts: 368 ✭✭✭

@GOBUCKS - Refund? No way they refund. They have said they are going to keep extending the CC memberships until value returns, hopefully that covers it for people. I don't think we see anything for that group until at least January now as well. @blurryface gave me a little hope that as a collector trying to get back into the registry, I might see something.

On a side note, I read Joe Orlando's parting letter. The part that really stuck with me was the "human pinata at The National". I can only imagine the timing of this is at least in part due to the national coming up where being a human pinata would be a welcome improvement to what is likely would have been like this year.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are quarterly specials still at the bottom of the barrel? What irks me in all this is I pay for a membership to have access to these specials, like many of you. So why do the quarterly specials get pushed to the back of the line? July 23rd will be the 1year mark I shipped my cards to PSA AND the 4 month mark my cards have been in “grading.” August 3rd will mark the 1 year anniversary of my cards being received by PSA. Some of you understand this CTD stuff better than me, could you give me an idea of when my order may show signs of life? Received 8/3 and entered 9/29. I know PSA is dealing with this the best they can. I’m just frustrated and needed to vent. Thanks.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@scmavl said:

@blurryface said:

$300 first
    $200 next
    ($250 national)
    $150 will be next
    $100 next
    $50 floor
    $??? ultra modern

not sure if this is the long term or the short term regopening plan but if the floor is $50 long term, then PSA will be catering almost exclusively to the modern collector/investor. I can't think of many cards I could purchase and then justify paying $50 to grade from the 60's and 70's outside of the hof rookies and high end mantles and in the 80's and 90's forget about it, outside of a couple main issues rookies and subset/traded cards there really aren't any.

it's amazing that within a year the outlook for a company can go from catering to all areas to maintain business to only one. it's also amazing to think that until february you could submit at $15 to 20 bucks and now $50 will be the minimum , even more amazing that until January you could get in for 10 bucks, 8 and change through bulk submittters. this truly has the feeling that many have discussed that on the other side of a bubble you come out much worse. if they can pull it off, good luck to them . after all they are literally just playing the PE playbook outside of the need to cut costs through layoffs

• Options

@beachbumcollecting said:

@blurryface said:

@scmavl said:

@blurryface said:

$300 first
    $200 next
    ($250 national)
    $150 will be next
    $100 next
    $50 floor
    $??? ultra modern

not sure if this is the long term or the short term regopening plan but if the floor is $50 long term, then PSA will be catering almost exclusively to the modern collector/investor. I can't think of many cards I could purchase and then justify paying $50 to grade from the 60's and 70's outside of the hof rookies and high end mantles and in the 80's and 90's forget about it, outside of a couple main issues rookies and subset/traded cards there really aren't any.

it's amazing that within a year the outlook for a company can go from catering to all areas to maintain business to only one. it's also amazing to think that until february you could submit at $15 to 20 bucks and now $50 will be the minimum , even more amazing that until January you could get in for 10 bucks, 8 and change through bulk submittters. this truly has the feeling that many have discussed that on the other side of a bubble you come out much worse. if they can pull it off, good luck to them . after all they are literally just playing the PE playbook outside of the need to cut costs through layoffs

$50 Would wipe out all but the top 5% of my pile to submit. I have not been grappling with the idea that $50 would be the floor. I really don't know what I would do as I just never thought that would be the reality...if it does go to that, I would be forced to trying to submit to another company for the first time

• Options

@blurryface said:

@scmavl said:

@blurryface said:

$300 first
    $200 next
    ($250 national)
    $150 will be next
    $100 next
    $50 floor
    $??? ultra modern

youre not comprehending all the info supplied. you did see the two additional lines under the floor, correct?

• Options

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

@scmavl said:

@blurryface said:

$300 first
    $200 next
    ($250 national)
    $150 will be next
    $100 next
    $50 floor
    $??? ultra modern

youre not comprehending all the info supplied. you did see the two additional lines under the floor, correct?

I see the lines but don't comprehend them I guess. I took the set registry, specials as set registry specials which I guess was not how it was meant. FLOOR to me means bottom which is how I interpreted it.

I guess anything below the floor will not be regular offered service and will not be a regular offered price. is that what you mean. In any case, it will be a long time before we see rates from PSA that justify grading the bulk of pre-2000 cards even with a plan to provide collectors the opportunity to submit. I am cool with that . I am also cool with 6-12 month turnarounds if that is known upfront. I am not cool with 4 month entry times that don't count in the turnaround time. I think the wheels are in motion to accomplish a happy median , I just hope the brand isn't destroyed with the redesigning of the grade scale in the mean time and there is still a reason to submit when submission prices settle

• Options

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

@scmavl said:

@blurryface said:

$300 first
    $200 next
    ($250 national)
    $150 will be next
    $100 next
    $50 floor
    $??? ultra modern

I see the lines but don't comprehend them I guess. I took the set registry, specials as set registry specials which I guess was not how it was meant. FLOOR to me means bottom which is how I interpreted it.

I guess anything below the floor will not be regular offered service and will not be a regular offered price. is that what you mean. In any case, it will be a long time before we see rates from PSA that justify grading the bulk of pre-2000 cards even with a plan to provide collectors the opportunity to submit. I am cool with that . I am also cool with 6-12 month turnarounds if that is known upfront. I am not cool with 4 month entry times that don't count in the turnaround time. I think the wheels are in motion to accomplish a happy median , I just hope the brand isn't destroyed with the redesigning of the grade scale in the mean time and there is still a reason to submit when submission prices settle

there are things called basements and cellars out there. even when the “floor” was $12 per, there were specials running at $8. i assume the plan will be multiple registry and specials to take care of everybody.

• Options

@Jayman1982 said:

@blurryface said:

@scmavl said:

@blurryface said:

$300 first
    $200 next
    ($250 national)
    $150 will be next
    $100 next
    $50 floor
    $??? ultra modern

$50 Would wipe out all but the top 5% of my pile to submit. I have not been grappling with the idea that $50 would be the floor. I really don't know what I would do as I just never thought that would be the reality...if it does go to that, I would be forced to trying to submit to another company for the first time

Here's another thing. I seriously don't think you'd be as happy if it's not in a PSA case. This is my personal fight also. I've waited out for a lot of things in life.....this is really just another rut. Yes it sucks, but I know for a fact deep inside....I would not be happy with a high dollar card in another case.

• Options

there are things called basements and cellars out there. even when the “floor” was $12 per, there were specials running at $8. i assume the plan will be multiple registry and specials to take care of everybody.

I live in Florida, we don't have basements or cellars :D but I used to live in Boston where we did but that is a thing of the past for me, much like affordable grading o:)

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:

Here's another thing. I seriously don't think you'd be as happy if it's not in a PSA case. This is my personal fight also. I've waited out for a lot of things in life.....this is really just another rut. Yes it sucks, but I know for a fact deep inside....I would not be happy with a high dollar card in another case.

I know I can talk myself into submitting some cards at $50, but I'm staring at a couple hundred that just wouldn't make any sense at that price point. Sometimes I feel a little masochistic and want the bottom to fall out of this whole hobby so reasonable grading costs come back into the picture.

• Options
    MarshallFaulk28MarshallFaulk28 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    Got my own upcharge email on that sub 10320565 I posted above
    Seems the hoop market is ultra hot right now
    Messi was one of those "what the= thought it as a 5 :o " type moments

Line 94 Kobe Bryant 2000 Topps Coast to Coast Refractor CC7 PSA 9 = $20 upcharge
    Line 95 Lebron James 2003 Fleer #261 PSA 10= $75 upcharge
    Line 96 Lionel Messi 2004 MegaCracks Barca Campeon PSA 7 = $50 upcharge
    Line 97 Kevin Durant 2007 Topps #112 1957-58 Variation PSA 10= $20 upcharge
    Line 101 Klay Thompson 2012 Panini Prizm #203 PSA 10 $20 upcharge

Just a question on upcharging... What values do they use to determine the value of the card? Are they values from when the card was submitted or current ones? If a card has increased significantly in value from when you sent it to when they finally graded it, it feels like the customer is being punished unfairly for their delays in grading.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:

@Historicalwood71 said:

I know I can talk myself into submitting some cards at $50, but I'm staring at a couple hundred that just wouldn't make any sense at that price point. Sometimes I feel a little masochistic and want the bottom to fall out of this whole hobby so reasonable grading costs come back into the picture.

I understand my man. The money is pushing collectors all over the place! I get it. You don't wanna be eating hotdogs every night because of grading. I want the prices to lower also! I'm just a nut for PSA! My mind says, " If it isn't PSA, it's no good!" 👍

• Options

Had a 50 card Value Ultra Modern sub go in to Assembly today, logged Nov 2

• Options

I had an Express order logged on 7/8 go into Assembly this morning. My other Express order (logged 7/7) is still in Grading. Maybe one will pop by the end of the week.

• Options

I had a regular order (5 cards) got into Assembly late yesterday. It was entered April 27 and started grading April 28.

The CDT dates are definitely deceiving. It helps now that they show the CDT monthly percentage, but even that doesn't give the full picture. They are clearly now processing at least end of April Regular orders even though the table says they are at March 18 with 98% of March completed. I suspect the majority of April is also completed too.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭

@swish54 said:

@swish54 said:
    Had a pack sub move into grading today.

Received: 1/7
    Entered: 1/11
    Grading: 7/12

Went to assembly today 7/13!

BTW this was an 81-present pack special.

QA1 today 7/20

• Options
    edited July 20, 2021 5:33PM

10 card regular

arrived: 4/05/21
    logged: 5/14/21
    graded: 7/19/21
    shipped: 7/20/21

notes: thicker rpas but grades were very good. took forever considering regular level that was bumped up to $100 a pop. would rather them take their time and/or have a seasoned grader assess them. shipping was quick too. last couple popped subs took nearly a week just to ship. hopefully things are settling down internally and starting to gel.

eta: these did sit in qa2 for about a week. i imagine for research on possible upcharges. most of them are /10, /3 and even a 1/1. comps woulda been nearly impossible to find. while i was expecting a couple at least, i didnt get hit w any. i know a lot of folks have problems with upcharges, just wanted to put this in there to show that its not like they go intentionally looking to upcharge. they could have certainly done so here easily.

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2021 9:52AM

Hmmm, I know they didn't leave my house like this. Luckily nothing of big value but very concerning that
    damage is happening it seems on every single sub

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

I think PSA may have damaged the lower left corner, (Ryan) if not; you got the gift that they took away from Bonds. Top right corner of the Ryan keeps it at 7. Bonds look like a 9 or 10, but with the new super-duper microscopes , who knows. They may have bent the corner on Johnson, but that is an easy bend to over-look before sending. Mabe the bottom right edge on Bonds knocked it down.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2021 1:37PM

@swish54 said:

Had a pack sub move into grading today.

Went to assembly today 7/13!

BTW this was an 81-present pack special.

Assembly 7/13

QA1 today 7/20

QA2 today 7/21

• Options

I have seen so many examples of bent up bottom corners being posting. shouldn't the first thing they teach you when you go to PSA is how to take a card in and out of a card saver . my goodness, so depressing

• Options

I have seen so many examples of bent up bottom corners being posting. shouldn't the first thing they teach you when you go to PSA is how to take a card in and out of a card saver . my goodness, so depressing

have had more in the last 3 months than i've had in the previous 13 years.

• Options

I concur on this

• Options

@1959 The top ryan corner wasn't like that either. I would not have sent that in, way to touched.
    The bonds bottom edge ding was not there either, I was looking for a 10 for my pc same with Johnson.

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    10 card regular

notes: thicker rpas but grades were very good. took forever considering regular level that was bumped up to $100 a pop. would rather them take their time and/or have a seasoned grader assess them. shipping was quick too. last couple popped subs took nearly a week just to ship. hopefully things are settling down internally and starting to gel.

eta: these did sit in qa2 for about a week. i imagine for research on possible upcharges. most of them are /10, /3 and even a 1/1. comps woulda been nearly impossible to find. while i was expecting a couple at least, i didnt get hit w any. i know a lot of folks have problems with upcharges, just wanted to put this in there to show that its not like they go intentionally looking to upcharge. they could have certainly done so here easily.

this hurts a bit,...I have a 2 card regular...arrived 3/12, logged 5/11...still in grading.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

all of these cards being damaged while in PSA's care is enough to make a man stop playing the grading game forever

i have cringed at every victim in this thread

it is disgusting and completely inexcusable

• Options

@azvike said:

@blurryface said:
    10 card regular

this hurts a bit,...I have a 2 card regular...arrived 3/12, logged 5/11...still in grading.

Yours has to be ready some some movement any minute now I would think. My 5 card regular was just about a week or so earlier than your dates there and went into assembly yesterday. Now reached QA1 today.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    all of these cards being damaged while in PSA's care is enough to make a man stop playing the grading game forever

Does PSA do anything if people report damage like this to a card, or is it just your word vs. theirs? Are we supposed to take super detailed pictures of all our cards before sending them in? :s

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Does PSA do anything if people report damage like this to a card, or is it just your word vs. theirs? Are we supposed to take super detailed pictures of all our cards before sending them in? :s

That's what should happen if this keeps up. Because if it's in the case bent, dinged up....you should be" happy" right? Enough of that. I went through this with another company. That's why I returned to P.S.A. That's not acceptable and we should be refunded. No excuse for that. We can wait ....just don't tear up our stuff while paying in gold bars. Bs

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

Yes, this appears to be accurate and very concerning. Sending in high value stuff for review, reholder or crossover is downright nerve wracking. I sent in a high end 7 for reholder as the top of the holder had a hair line crack on the top from crappy shipping. Card was great and totally fine. Received the card back with the corner creased not bent and in a new PSA 7 holder. I was simply stunned. Has completely scared me from sending high value stuff in.

• Options
    edited July 22, 2021 9:38AM

New Express sub popped! I sent in two Express subs (entered 7/7 & 7/8) and the second one popped today. The first is in Assembly as of this morning. Mostly WNBA cards, and I got the 10 I was hoping for (and no upcharge!). Grading seemed spot on, as 4 out of 5 were exactly what I predicted. The Curry I thought would be a 7, but that was really just a filler card and to have slabbed in my PC.

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 634XXXXX NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2002 Ultra WNBA 101 Sue Bird
    2 1 634XXXXX NEAR MINT 7 2004 Ultra WNBA 91 Diana Taurasi
    3 1 634XXXXX GEM MINT 10 2016 Rittenhouse WNBA 95 Breanna Stewart
    4 1 634XXXXX EXCELLENT 5 2009 Topps 321 Stephen Curry
    5 1 634XXXXX MINT 9 2010 Rittenhouse WNBA Rookies R1 Tina Charles

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

I thought now they photographed each card before grading. This is to discourage crack and re-submit. Did PSA photo the Johnson, Bonds, and Ryan? if so , I would ask for a copy of the photos and the date. There seems to be more times that the cards are being removed from sleeves and savers than ever before. (New employees!!!)

• Options

I thought the new terminator tool was perfect?

• Options

@1959 said:
    I thought now they photographed each card before grading. This is to discourage crack and re-submit. Did PSA photo the Johnson, Bonds, and Ryan? if so , I would ask for a copy of the photos and the date. There seems to be more times that the cards are being removed from sleeves and savers than ever before. (New employees!!!)

I wonder at what stage they take the photos though. It seems possible that newbie employee could damage the cards at first handling and then take the pictures.

I'd still be curious what kind of reply PSA gives when reporting this problem.

Now I'm kind of nervous what to expect back from them in future orders. My order hit QA2 today, so I'm hoping for good news soon...