Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

September 2020 Purchases! Show us what you got!

Fresh off the scanner for my 1980-1995 Rookie Showcase set. LINK

Donnie Baseball on one of the best cards of the 80's. Only achieved a max of 28.2% for HOF voting in his first year. Rare label variant if you are into that type of thing.

Harold Baines only acvieved a max of 6.1% for HOF voting until he was elected in by the Today's Game Era Ballot. 134 hits shy of 3,000. Played for the Orioles in 3 different stints in his long career.

Comments

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

More Mantle Madness. An uncut sheet and a store display piece which was used to advertise the cards...

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

fresh back from PSA yesterday. scans dont do these cards justice give how shiny they are.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 - I think the '58 All-Stars are among the most underrated cards of the decade. Cool design and legendary names. I've always felt the Mantle is one of his best looking cards.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Here's a great shot of The Comet on Mickey Mantle Day. Without a bat or a beer to hold, Mickey was so unsure of what to do with his hands (and the adulation) that day. You can watch it on YouTube; it's just a whole mess of hand wringing and mic dodging. He gave a solid speech (and subsequently a plaque to Joe DiMaggio) and anytime they said his name or it seemed like he'd be addressing the crowd, the place exploded: the crowd must have been truly deafening. Just look at him; he probably should have still been playing...

What a STUD! One of the most physically (if not THE most) gifted athletes of all time.

Great photo.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

sent to PSA this morning, 15 mins after taking delivery.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

A beautiful addition to my All-Time Eagles set! Huge part of the Gang Green defense of 1991!

Jason

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DJJazzBass said:
    Upgraded a PSA 4 to a PSA 6, plus it's a Grey Back. I'm finding these Grey Backs so much harder to find, even in the 2nd series.

You can't just talk about how excited you are about getting a Grey Back and only show a picture of the front!

• Options
    DJJazzBassDJJazzBass Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2020 12:13PM

@daltex said:

@DJJazzBass said:
    Upgraded a PSA 4 to a PSA 6, plus it's a Grey Back. I'm finding these Grey Backs so much harder to find, even in the 2nd series.

You can't just talk about how excited you are about getting a Grey Back and only show a picture of the front!

You are correct. Got me there. I fixed it. Thank you.

Hey Moose! Rocco! Help the Judge find his checkbook, will ya!
  • Options

A few more Rc’s
    13 years ago today he joined the 3,000 K club. Such a dominating pitcher. Also one of my favorite Manning Rc’s. Just think it’s a cool card

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally picked up an iconic 1952 Topps card. Sievers was a great player, one of my dad's favorites. I love the red background and Browns logo on this card.

I also grabbed this cool Bill Buckner card. Growing up in Chicago in the late 70's, Buckner was my favorite player. I used to try to copy his stance and swing in Little League.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This arrived yesterday. 2017 Panini Impeccable Silver Bar #12/15. It’s got a one oz. silver bar embedded in the card. I think it has a very attractive design and I'm happy to add it to my Alworth collection, but at the same time I think it's kinda weird. It's about 1/4" thick.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    This arrived yesterday. 2017 Panini Impeccable Silver Bar #12/15. It’s got a one oz. silver bar embedded in the card. I think it has a very attractive design and I'm happy to add it to my Alworth collection, but at the same time I think it's kinda weird. It's about 1/4" thick.

Has to be pretty thick to hold that much silver and not have the bar completely dominate the card!

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Finally grabbed one of these. Heard this kid could be pretty good if he can improve his defense at short ;-)

Jason

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow on the Ryan!!!

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sasha Banks

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

First pickups of the month!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Love that Mick photo! What that must feel like, to reach the heights he did, and be that adored by that many people. Blows the mind.

This has always been my favorite card of the 1970s, since I first laid eyes on it at about 12 years old. With the black design and that action shot and the lowercase letters, it always struck me as a classic case of a whole being greater than the sum of the parts, aesthetically.

I thought for many years about finding a crisp example as it is such a brutal set and few solid mint ones exist. Finally pulled the trigger.

Awesome pickup Matt. Ryan is to the 60’- 80’s what Mantle was to the 50’s and 60’s.

KC

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

1984 Donruss Baseball Wax Box BBCE FASC...$1500.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Mail day yesterday. One of the benefits of being on the PSA registry is that folks can contact you with little oddball gems like this. Of course Bobby Orr is the center of attention in the Kings schedule picture:

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:

All in one pick-up?

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    Yeah was part of a collection I just got
    Hundreds of stars

That’s awesome. Nice Mickey’s!!!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff gents. That raw collection is bonkers, That '57 mantle looks to have amazing centering tucked away in the corner over there. that wilson rookie above is extremely sharp for a 6. and that soto xfractor. could be a huge card if he keeps up the pace. wish i woulda bought more of him early on. his prices are getting cray-cray now. $300k for the platinum? $17k for an indy? wow.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a bunch of stuff on eBay and seller canceled all of my orders - said his basement flooded and all cards damaged. :(

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    Bought a bunch of stuff on eBay and seller canceled all of my orders - said his basement flooded and all cards damaged. :(

Well that’s a new one. Sorry you lost out on the purchases. Never fun when you have you mind set on the cards, bought and paid for. I feel for you.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

Was he in Louisiana? Had the same thing happen but guy sent me pics and definitely believe him.

• Options

First PSA submission! Went about as well as I could've hoped!

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules - incredible pack!! Congratz!!

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.