Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

September 2020 Purchases! Show us what you got!

Comments

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    One I’ve always wanted!

I never realized he played for the Braves, um, I mean Rustlers.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020 1:09PM

A couple more fine 9's for my 1980-1995 Rookie Showcase set. LINK
    And one more for the Griffey Basic set!

6’0” 150 lbs on his rookie card. Cy Young Award four consecutive years (1992–1995). During those four seasons, Maddux had a 75–29 record with a 1.98 ERA, while allowing less than one base runner per inning! WOW!

Career catcher Home Run Leader at 396 --along with a lifetime .308 batting average. Mike is currently the manager of the Italy national baseball team.

• erbaerba Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭

Love this card! Look at the pose, just launched another dinger.

@NGS428 said:

And one more for the Griffey Basic set!

>

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

That Griffey swing follow through is just iconic.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:
    That Griffey swing follow through is just iconic.

Fleer loved that pose in 1998, here is his base card.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

All Saints Day

Sam Mills may have spent most of his career in NO, but he will forever be immortalized in Carolina. Keep Pounding!

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow very strong ‘71Munson.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020 9:12AM

Those signed Mantles are nice. The ‘52 Bowman will probably be your hardest to track down. Was for me, at least.

One small piece of advice because I know youre a centering freak as well. Dont hesitate on a signed example just bc its oc. Will haunt you and most likely end up costing you twice as much later down the road.

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020 10:06AM

Boy that Santo and Berra sure look undergraded from this vantage point!

Blurry, that is sound advice for sure— one has to be much more lenient with these because there are so few to begin with. I enthusiastically made a centering allowance on the '57, as I knew it was super strong eye appeal for that card signed; there are two 5s and a 5.5 out there of it for example, and I'd owned one of the other two 5s and saw the 5.5, so knew at first sight the odds of improvement were slim to none. Plus so many of these are locked up in collections. The 54B was with its last owner for a decade. And just like you said, the two I passed on, I remember vividly and WISH I reeled them in back then. Lesson learned and why I did not let these slip away.

@DM23HOF said:
    Boy that Santo and Berra sure look undergraded from this vantage point!

Thanks. I am very happy with both.

@blurryface said:
    Those signed Mantles are nice. The ‘52 Bowman will probably be your hardest to track down. Was for me, at least.

One small piece of advice because I know youre a centering freak as well. Dont hesitate on a signed example just bc its oc. Will haunt you and most likely end up costing you twice as much later down the road.

I could imagine how hard the 52B is to find signed and with some eye appeal— as the card has minimal if any real estate to place the signature, and so a sharpie sig would likely dominate the card. Would love to see some signed Micks if you can share some scans!

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface
    @DM23HOF

These are a few of my signed Mantle pieces - raw and graded; I really like some of these larger Master Set pieces that can also be slabbed. The signature on the 1960 SPP is one of the nicest examples of his signature I’ve ever seen; looks almost facsimile.
    1963-73 Equitable Life Sports Hall of Fame

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

That picture of him wearing #6 is a classic. The other is great, too; never saw it before, captures his personality well.

edited September 9, 2020 3:10PM

@DM23HOF said:

@blurryface said:

I could imagine how hard the 52B is to find signed and with some eye appeal— as the card has minimal if any real estate to place the signature, and so a sharpie sig would likely dominate the card. Would love to see some signed Micks if you can share some scans

here's my '57. i go eye appeal over grade, which is very hard to stick to considering. i normally hate qualifiers too, but i always get a good chuckle out of this particular one.

it has a small ink mark on the back, but of course it has a huge blue one on the front too:

@blurryface said:

@DM23HOF said:

@blurryface said:

I could imagine how hard the 52B is to find signed and with some eye appeal— as the card has minimal if any real estate to place the signature, and so a sharpie sig would likely dominate the card. Would love to see some signed Micks if you can share some scans

here's my '57. i go eye appeal over grade, which is very hard to stick to considering. i normally hate qualifiers too, but i always get a good chuckle with. has a small ink mark on the back, but of course it has a huge blue one on the front too:

Great piece. And could not agree more. In a situation like that the qualifier means nothing to me— except maybe a decent discount if the seller put too much stock in the sticker grade, of course ;) !

I once had a 64 that he signed, and some kid wrote on the back, looked like a box score-- regret having sold it, always felt that back writing added serious charm and character to it.

edited September 9, 2020 3:32PM

and just one more. don't wanna take over the thread...

love this card. another tough one to track down centering wise, esp auto'd. but really wish it were ball point vs sharpie:

it's funny because we are all kinda set in our ways as far as standard, unsigned cards go. i always tell guys, if you truly wanna see what you're made of try a hof player basic auto set run. that 3rd dimension of finding the card auto'd to plug your set is excruciating. "yea, i've been looking forever but this one that finally popped up is just a little oc for my taste" and then BAM gone forever. Then there's basic gambling on older blue flips and crossing them to reds, hopefully. or at least there was before everything turned red flip and all sorts of other nuances that test the limits or your normal unsigned criteria in cards. a lot say that they aren't into autos to which i reply, you don't have to be. you're a collector and enjoy "the hunt" right? there is no better or harder hunt and it's only getting harder by the day as these early signed cards have really started to get popular. one of the best decisions i ever did was complete the signed aaron, berra and mantle runs a few years back!

That is a great one. And don't sleep on how out of focus so many 55s are, too. Feel free to message me any Mantle cards if you ever wanna share man, never a problem looking at cards.

• bruin805bruin805 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    There are 3rd Basemen...and then there is MIKE "freaking" SCHMIDT!!!

A pickup from this year and back from PSA re-holdering.

That is a monster cello pack!! Wow!!!

• Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    My buying spree is almost over as my National budget is gone now. A couple more on the way and then slowing down to save up again.

The two biggies first:

Clemente was bought with the 5% off Ebay coupon. Have always wanted this one. Also used the coupon on the Berra and the Maz AS.

The Yaz is from David from the board - thanks!! I really love this card. Finding one without a lot of black print marks is difficult.

Bought the Perez from Monte - thanks Monte!

The Aaron AS, Williams, Buc Belters and Santo are from a collector friend of mine that I buy from frequently.

The Ashburn was from a Facebook group.

Continue to try to buy form the boards as much as possible. The cards on the way are from Net54.

The rest are normal Ebay purchases. A departure from my '61 and '68 HOF set but did get some AS I am concentrating on and also picked up the Cubs Clubbers which goes to my Banks run and my HOF multi-player run I am working on. Really liked this Mays as I thought it was a nice 8 and saw this Kaline at a fair price and grabbed it. Really excited to add all of these to my collection.

Very Nice Haul! Great cards in there. I put some of them on my "gotta get" list! congrats!!!!

edited September 10, 2020 1:24PM

Absolutely gorgeous! Wouldn't have second guessed it for a minute either.

Guessing the only reason it got a 9 was because the "e" goes off card?

Paper loss on the back or anything constituting the A grade or did the card just come from an auto nut?

It crazy that there's a segment out there that could care less about the card and are more focused on the auto grades.

edited September 10, 2020 3:12PM

Blurry, we collect the same way. Auto grades are all over the place. It's all about the total package, the total presentation. The seller was actually the original submitter of the card, which was cool. He said the crease in top left would put it at a 2-3.5, which I am totally fine with. Next time I get around to it will ask them to slap on the number/card grade too for uniformity. I am sure many of us like the same gen slab all in a row and the same type of grading for consistency to our eyes.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early 80’s Wax and cello is running away so moved to vending. Personally I think BBCE wrapped vending is under valued.

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays ..... that Juan Soto x-fractor is gorgeous..... IMO he is the best hitter in the NL...... he is the guy I want at the plate not fearing he will fail to put the ball in play with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 out..... I can't say that about Acuna ...yet.

definitely the chosen juan.

@DM23HOF said:
    Blurry, we collect the same way. Auto grades are all over the place. It's all about the total package, the total presentation. The seller was actually the original submitter of the card, which was cool. He said the crease in top left would put it at a 2-3.5, which I am totally fine with. Next time I get around to it will ask them to slap on the number/card grade too for uniformity. I am sure many of us like the same gen slab all in a row and the same type of grading for consistency to our eyes.

Exactly! And I agree, even if it came back a 1, i'd be happy. Real happy, actually. And that's the thing, even in worst case scenario and it came back AA, at the end of the day, it's still gorgeous and 1. you may not run across one w that eye appeal again. 2. you won't be kicking yourself for years about the missed op and 3. I'd rather have that than one that's completely oc, dirty looking or a whole host of other characteristics that plague these early signed cards. I mean let's face it, the overwhelming consensus back in the day was that it was a huge no-no and basically forbidden to get these older cards signed. Some say it rendered the card worthless. Basically why there are so few of them and as they get tucked away the value is exploding on them.

• hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added this for 89 sets , this puts my A's team at all but 1 in a 10

Most of my 1989 are self subbed, this was a ebay purchase

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭

Some super 75's brett is awesome

Nice row of psa 10's

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    JB— what a pack. The Gary is centered, too!

Both the "Rated Rookie" and Topps "Rookie All Star Trophy/Cup" logos are always favorites. The latter is a big reason why I always loved the 1971 Munson. As well as the horizontal action photo. His RC is kind of lackluster aesthetically, especially as compared to the '71, which is his first solo card. I also like the 71 Munson in terms of how tough the card is; I believe there are just 4 in MINT 9 state, with zero GEM MT examples. Plus the two 9s I have seen would likely not make the grade with today's standards. So the confluence of those factors made it easy to pull the trigger on a nice solid 8.

Beyond pumped to have landed these three signed Mantles.

A centered basic issue Mantle is tough enough in any grade, so finding them signed with even decent centering is really satisfying. And when the signature quality and centering are both there, it's really special. I especially love a good ball point sig.

Rarity-wise, The Mick signed just 26 of the 1957 card, 30 of the 1954 card, and 46 of the 1961. I marvel at how little that is, considering the demand for Mantle. I've watched these signed cards rise over the past year in price and I've been determined to grab a few before things get too out of hand lol.

Matt - that 57 Mantle auto is sick, and the centering is top 5%. Such a tough card to find centered and with an auto. Amazing.

KC

• All amazing cards!

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Rip cards back from grading. The DR. J has a couple roller dents on the edges.

That Dr. J. is one of the best looking 4's I have seen. Wow!!!

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules - thanks. I'm a glutton for punishment. I still love rippin even though I know its a losing cause. Its fun as heck!! The Lions Share of my collection was consigned to Heritage today. Been and gonna be a fun ride. I'm still in it though!!

@UFFDAH said:
    @JBrules - thanks. I'm a glutton for punishment. I still love rippin even though I know its a losing cause. Its fun as heck!! The Lions Share of my collection was consigned to Heritage today. Been and gonna be a fun ride. I'm still in it though!!

Good luck with the sales. From what I know of your collection it is absolutely incredible.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

Good luck with the sales at Heritage. Any reason you are selling stuff now - sell at the peak or just wanting to thin stuff out. If you ever sell your camera and set up let me know - you have the best images on the board 😉

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hankcaddy said:
    Added this for 89 sets , this puts my A's team at all but 1 in a 10

Most of my 1989 are self subbed, this was a ebay purchase

Which one are you lacking?

• hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

131 Dave Otto , have a 9 pop 1 . None higher

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's

@dustinspeaks said:
    I got this a little while ago.

solid card. and a long while ago.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat - kinda both of what you mentioned. Will be a dedicated catalog so will walk away with a keepsake.

• BJY83BJY83 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    @KendallCat - kinda both of what you mentioned. Will be a dedicated catalog so will walk away with a keepsake.

I can't wait to see your collection. Have they told you when that auction will be run?

Brian