Home Sports Talk

New England Patriots 2020 Discussion Thread

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Who saw this coming?

45-0? Not me.

I picked them to win.

The team has been on a somewhat upward trajectory, and any BB coached team will improve as the season progresses.

Like I wished for at the beginning of the season, maybe we can be a scrappy wildcard team. But even one more loss makes the playoffs tough, two is out of the question .

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been watching this offense/team struggle to score points all season and the one game I miss they drop a 45-0 shutout :#
    Cam got them back to .500 with just four games to go, I really hope we don’t see a late season surge by him where he plays good enough to get that 2021-22 contract offer from BB.

@erikthredd said:
    I’ve been watching this offense/team struggle to score points all season and the one game I miss they drop a 45-0 shutout :#
    Cam got them back to .500 with just four games to go, I really hope we don’t see a late season surge by him where he plays good enough to get that 2021-22 contract offer from BB.

My prediction: even if we see that late season surge, and even if we make the playoffs, Belichick makes him a Patriots ' one and done'.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

My prediction: even if we see that late season surge, and even if we make the playoffs, Belichick makes him a Patriots ' one and done'.

I hope so. I was surprised to see Sony Michel back in the box score,I thought he was done for the season. I’ve been waiting to see what a Harris/Michel backfield looks like when healthy.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harris is a beast, I like his running style

@perkdog said:
    Harris is a beast, I like his running style

I agree. He fits right in.

AFAIK, if we win tonight, and the Colts, Chiefs, and Browns win this week, we control our own destiny. If we then win out we are guaranteed at least the 8th seed.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2020 12:41PM

Cam and Bill are bringing the show to town tonight. I'll be leaving work early so I won't miss a minute. Love those Patriots.......but the Lambs even more! Too bad the Hydrant family won't be sitting in So-Fi Stadium in the season ticket seats that we have paid an arm and a leg for.......makes me sort of.....angry! And that's putting it mildly. 😠

Pats 24-17 🤷‍♂️

edited December 10, 2020 9:12PM

@perkdog said:
    Pats 24-17 🤷‍♂️

You're a dreamer perky. My prediction?.......
    Rams 24-3. 😇 It all depends on which Jared Goff shows up at the game tonight. So who knows? I just want to see an exciting game. My two favorite teams. Just wish you- know- who was behind center for the Pats. Oh, well.

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:
    Pats 24-17 🤷‍♂️

. Just wish you- know- who was behind center for the Pats. Oh, well.

That makes two of us. ☹️

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rams want top spot in their conference. 34-13 Rams

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited December 11, 2020 2:59AM

And yes,....I cheated.

@Hydrant said:
    And yes,....I cheated.

Hahaha at first I’m like wow he called the exact score 😂😂😂

So any talk of Big Bill working his magic to make this team a contender was snuffed out I assume? Just don’t show up after that impressive win last week. Whatever 🙄

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭

I can hardly wait for the super bowl because then I will know football and the bill and cam show will not be seen anymore for this season.
    Lets ee what the Red Sox can do to heal the wounds.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of ex-Patriots, Tom Brady needs to show up big this Sunday in the game against the Vikings. If the Bucks are to make the play-offs, this game is a big one.

There have been dreams in Tampa of having the "home game Super Bowl. The Bucks are not good enough to make that happen. New Orleans has beaten them soundly twice. It would be nice to make the play-offs however after 13 seasons.

I'm sorry to have put this post in the wrong place, but it seems like the other areas are 200 messages ahead of me and mostly concerned about predicting point spreads.

As for the Pats, if they can beat the Rams, they have a decent chance. The rest of the season is against Buffalo (a must win), Miami (which always gives them trouble) and the hapless New York Jets.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    Speaking of ex-Patriots, Tom Brady needs to show up big this Sunday in the game against the Vikings. If the Bucks are to make the play-offs, this game is a big one.

There have been dreams in Tampa of having the "home game Super Bowl. The Bucks are not good enough to make that happen. New Orleans has beaten them soundly twice. It would be nice to make the play-offs however after 13 seasons.

I'm sorry to have put this post in the wrong place, but it seems like the other areas are 200 messages ahead of me and mostly concerned about predicting point spreads.

As for the Pats, if they can beat the Rams, they have a decent chance. The rest of the season is against Buffalo (a must win), Miami (which always gives them trouble) and the hapless New York Jets.

If the Bucs make the playoffs, I am not ready to count them out for the SB.

If Bill starts Cam next week, what will be the reason? Because the Pats are still not mathematically eliminated from the playoff run? Because he sees him as the best choice for a win? Because he has seen enough of Stidham to know that he is not going to compete for the starting role going forward? Other?

They should start Stidham but Cam probably gives them their best chance, Hoodie wants the W’s record. That’s the way I see it

The Bucks will be lucky to survive the first round of the playoffs, if they get in. They don’t play well when it really counts. That includes Brady who didn’t show up for the second New Orleans game.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

The loss to the Rams put the end to the New England season. Outside of New England, there will probably few tears.

@BillJones said:
    The loss to the Rams put the end to the New England season. Outside of New England, there will probably few tears.

And it was to be expected, at least from my perspective. A few good games but overall very inconsistent and the lack of WR’s certainly didn’t help even though Newton was never going to throw for 4500 yards regardless.

The Patriots did the best they could with the hand BB dealt them. He wagered every thing to a win now attitude the last 3 years. It got him Super Bowls and Super Bowl appearances. Honestly what more could fans ask for. Now they pay for a few years. He saw Buffalo getting better. He saw Miami building. Give him a few years and then pass judgment. I’d take a few 4-12 years for 2 Super Bowl trophies any day

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    The Patriots did the best they could with the hand BB dealt them. He wagered every thing to a win now attitude the last 3 years. It got him Super Bowls and Super Bowl appearances. Honestly what more could fans ask for. Now they pay for a few years. He saw Buffalo getting better. He saw Miami building. Give him a few years and then pass judgment. I’d take a few 4-12 years for 2 Super Bowl trophies any day

Zero complaints from me. I’m more than satisfied with what the Pays have done

Fans live their whole lives and never see even one Super Bowl win. We enjoyed six.

Look at the Philadelphia Eagles. They won the NFL championship in 1960 and didn’t win again until 2017. That’s 57 years.

The Houston Oilers won the AFL championship twice in the early 1960s. Since then the team has moved to Tennessee and a new team has taken its place. Neither one has taken the big prize.

There are teams that have never been to a Super Bowl let alone win it. I don’t remember all of them but long time franchises like Cleveland and Detroit come to mind.

W.C.Fields

Out of playoff contention. If they don't start Stidham next week, it will be very frustrating.

If they startStidham I may watch them next week. I want to see what he is capable of. I know what Cam is capable of and don't want to watch any of his games.

I did watch Brady today and he did a great job in my opinion. First game I watched this year.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Out of playoff contention. If they don't start Stidham next week, it will be very frustrating.

why do we need to see stidham? All three QB's should be cut in the offseason

I think they should keep Cam and go on a 10 year run with him. 😉

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

i think Cam is playing his heart out but physically there is something wrong that may never come back . Maybe he is going to retire . Hoyer fumbled his clipboard on the sideline when a cameraman got too close today. And Stidham needs to get a divorce or he will never be a starter

Again I don’t want Stafford or Alex Smith. I have a feeling Winston could curb the INT’s under Josh so maybe a flyer on him?

@bronco2078 You are right about Cam, he is giving it his all I will give him that.

@perkdog said:
    @bronco2078 You are right about Cam, he is giving it his all I will give him that.

He is damaged and playing that way without complaint. He acts right , he doesn't complain , he talks up that bum Nyquil Harry and Harry throws him under the bus this week via a trainer.

If Bill B thought Stidham would do better then he would be starting , either he sucks or he is so far in the doghouse he is never getting out. Either way same result

@2dueces said:

We are not going to make it that easy for you.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

can we finally please just stop with any lingering Belichick > Brady nonsense for the Pats' run?

we're being reminded of what kind of record BB can put up when he is stripped of HoF talent at the QB position and elsewhere...............a losing one. a la his Cleveland Browns days when he went 36-44 and had one winning season out of five.

and before someone mentions 2008, i'll remind them of a stacked team that went to the AFC Championship game the year before...........and still had guys like Moss & Welker...........and still had a top-10 defense.........and still had an extremely formidable o-line that was one of the very best in the league that season.

now fast forward to life without Tom Brady. Bill presently has a past-his-prime QB with twice as many picks as touches, and is throwing to guys like Jakobi Meyers, Damiere Byrd and N'Keal Harry. if you want the lion's share of the credit for the glory years, then activate your inner genius and make chicken salad out of that chicken sh*t.

repeat after me: players over coaches every day of the week, twice on Sundays, and three times on Feb 29 when it's a leap year

@galaxy27 said:
    can we finally please just stop with any lingering Belichick > Brady nonsense for the Pats' run?

we're being reminded of what kind of record BB can put up when he is stripped of HoF talent at the QB position and elsewhere...............a losing one. a la his Cleveland Browns days when he went 36-44 and had one winning season out of five.

and before someone mentions 2008, i'll remind them of a stacked team that went to the AFC Championship game the year before...........and still had guys like Moss & Welker...........and still had a top-10 defense.........and still had an extremely formidable o-line that was one of the very best in the league that season.

now fast forward to life without Tom Brady. Bill presently has a past-his-prime QB with twice as many picks as touches, and is throwing to guys like Jakobi Meyers, Damiere Byrd and N'Keal Harry. if you want the lion's share of the credit for the glory years, then activate your inner genius and make chicken salad out of that chicken sh*t.

repeat after me: players over coaches every day of the week, twice on Sundays, and three times on Feb 29 when it's a leap year

I been saying it for years but people are still going to hate on Brady and worship Big Bill. It’s frustrating but hilarious at the same time

They hate on Brady because he bolted first. If Krafty could have set aside some of that massage parlor money for Tom's contract he'd still be here.

If Bill left first we'd be doing the reverse I bet

@bronco2078 said:
    They hate on Brady because he bolted first. If Krafty could have set aside some of that massage parlor money for Tom's contract he'd still be here.

Not a chance. At least with me anyways, I have always been a Brady first Hoodie second Pats fan. 100%.

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Not a chance. At least with me anyways, I have always been a Brady first Hoodie second Pats fan. 100%.

in general I meant , like the talk radio idiots , callers and talking head types . Brady would have been the hero of the story if he stayed and Bill fled the scene.

The story is a bit muddled , if Bill hadn't drafted so badly he would be the second coming of Christ right now

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

in general I meant , like the talk radio idiots , callers and talking head types . Brady would have been the hero of the story if he stayed and Bill fled the scene.

The story is a bit muddled , if Bill hadn't drafted so badly he would be the second coming of Christ right now

I agree with who you are referring too, I can’t stand listening to them especially radio guys. Felger is at the top of my hate list for radio guys. As far as Bill goes with me it’s more than just his inability to draft it’s his ignorant stupid moves he has made over the years, like sitting Butler against the Eagles was unforgivable as far as I’m concerned. Honestly as much as I appreciate the good things he has done I just can’t stand the guy

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

I agree with who you are referring too, I can’t stand listening to them especially radio guys. Felger is at the top of my hate list for radio guys. As far as Bill goes with me it’s more than just his inability to draft it’s his ignorant stupid moves he has made over the years, like sitting Butler against the Eagles was unforgivable as far as I’m concerned. Honestly as much as I appreciate the good things he has done I just can’t stand the guy

Stidham is getting the butler treatment :D who did he sleep with in Bills family ?

Brady to Gronkowski twice today. Put that in your pipe Bill or somewhere else if you like!

Bills slapping the Pats around. We all knew it would eventually come to this 😩 🤷‍♂️

We now know that rebuilding the time is inevitable. Buffalo really wanted to stick it to the Patriots tonight with 4th down calls early in the game, and they did. Get ready for a replay of the early 1980s, at least for a while.

:(

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

If New England goes through a 3 to 5 year stretch of rebuilding and missing the playoffs, I wonder if a movement will arise that demands the team change its name by dropping "Patriots"?

I suspect that "Patriots" has to be offensive to some persons/groups.

Perhaps demands will be made to change from the New England Patriots to the New England Fall Colors.

Same thing with Dallas. The name "Cowboys" is likely unacceptable to some persons/groups.

@SanctionII said:
    If New England goes through a 3 to 5 year stretch of rebuilding and missing the playoffs, I wonder if a movement will arise that demands the team change its name by dropping "Patriots"?

I suspect that "Patriots" has to be offensive to some persons/groups.

Perhaps demands will be made to change from the New England Patriots to the New England Fall Colors.

Same thing with Dallas. The name "Cowboys" is likely unacceptable to some persons/groups.

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

I’ll take an 0-16 season for 3 Super Bowl trophies in 5 years. They sold out and that’s what they got. He’ll I’ll take a decade of 0-16’s for 3 trophies.

W.C.Fields