Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2020 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any opinions on the potential of Jeff Thomas if he makes the final roster?

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Matt LaCrosse makes #8 to opt out today. It’s not these are 2nd string or special teams players. I’m still waiting for Vegas to make a move. Discuss? Perk? Bueller? Bueller?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2020 2:30PM

@2dueces said:
    Matt LaCrosse makes #8 to opt out today. It’s not these are 2nd string or special teams players. I’m still waiting for Vegas to make a move. Discuss? Perk? Bueller? Bueller?

We sure do have a lot of guys opting out. What is the reaction of fans and media in New England?

Edit to add: Has anyone said "This wouldn't have happened if Brady was still here."?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

We sure do have a lot of guys opting out. What is the reaction of fans and media in New England?

Edit to add: Has anyone said "This wouldn't have happened if Brady was still here."?

I mentioned the same thing but I'm not tuned into New England sports. Very curious though

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think these guys opting out has anything to do with Brady, these guys care about money and years of service so I assume they are legit shaking in their cleats about catching the Covid. I just wish Devin McCourty would shut his mouth and opt out instead of whining about how the NFL is handling this situation.

• Options

I don't want to judge anyone, but in my heart I don't like seeing guys opt out.

• Options

I saw Cam on a video interview. Still looks like Grandma ma with that burka on his head although I believe he was in fatigues so I give him a pass. Unless it was a flowered shirt since I’m color blind. 😂

W.C.Fields
  • Options

They signed Lamar Miller to a one year deal

• Options

@perkdog said:
    They signed Lamar Miller to a one year deal

This could be huge if he is able to return to old form.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh oh. It appears that you guys in New England are already getting a taste of Cam Newton's fashion tastes. Hold onto your hats gentlemen, it has begun!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Uh oh. It appears that you guys in New England are already getting a taste of Cam Newton's fashion tastes. Hold onto your hats gentlemen, it has begun!

Just a Bizarre style, he might have Rodman as his idol? 🤷‍♂️

• Options

Cam better take it easy on the fashion spending, he has 7 children 😅

• Options
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Cam better take it easy on the fashion spending, he has 7 children 😅

Pink flowers and a scarf. All he needs is a purse and he'll be good to go!

I'm praying for you guys, I know what you're going through.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still find it hard to believe that Bill Belichick signed this thing.

Either Belichick is getting old or i'm getting old - maybe it's both. LOL

• Options

I still think he’s copying Grandma ma from the 90’s. Who was that basketball player? Johnson?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    I still think he’s copying Grandma ma from the 90’s. Who was that basketball player? Johnson?

Larry Johnson

• Options
    edited August 16, 2020 4:43AM

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Just a Bizarre style, he might have Rodman as his idol? 🤷‍♂️

Looks like Cam stole Larry Johnson’s dress.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was surprised to see Sanu cut, i thought he'd have a decent chance to be the #2 WR.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I was surprised to see Sanu cut, i thought he'd have a decent chance to be the #2 WR.

I have been a bit out of the loop for a week and a half......

Do we know why he was cut?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I’m not sure but he was due to make 6.5m this year that might have played into BB’s decision.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I’m not sure but he was due to make 6.5m this year that might have played into BB’s decision.

He was underwhelming last year and outplayed by everyone in training camp this season. 1 playoff catch for 11 yards doesn’t compute to $6.5M.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Does anyone have an opinion on Jeff Thomas? I'm seeing he probably won't make it through the final cut.

• Options

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29819402/patriots-cut-rookie-kicker-justin-rohrwasser-source-says?platform=amp So Big Bill cuts that Kicker he wasted a 5th round pick on when he could have just brought him in after the draft for a tryout since nobody was going to draft him anyways. Also cutting Sanu because “It just didn’t work out” is the explanation by Big Bill. They cut Lamar Miller as well. In short the Offense will be comical in my opinion. I hope that poor Kicker Kid kept his tattoo he was going to get removed after he was drafted ☝️

• Options

Not sure what Bill’s plans are? Whatever it is from my living room it doesn’t look like a 9 win season. 😉

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Not sure what Bill’s plans are? Whatever it is from my living room it doesn’t look like a 9 win season. 😉

Nobody knows. I don’t even think Bill himself knows really, he does so much bizarre stuff I think he throws a lot of darts and if they work out he looks like a genius, if they don’t he chalks it up as taking a chance.

• Options

There was so much negative reaction to the kickers tattoo I think Bill just waited and cut him. Just my opinion. Plus he wasn't kicking well.

@2dueces said:

We ARE making the playoffs, even as a wildcard... As long as Newton stays healthy

• Options

We all know father time catches up to athletes, and of course it catches up with coaches as well. Fifth round kicker picks you just have to be right on that virtually all of the time, and the guy has already been released? Great coaches normally don't make mistakes such as that.

I realize Cam Newton won the starting job, but we'll see how he does throughout the regular season. In any event, I doubt very much if a younger coach Belichick would have ever signed someone such as this with his baggage.

We all know Belichick is a genius, but he's got a lot of hard years of stress on that brain, and it could be wearing out at this point. It could be now that he "was" a genius. We shall see.

• Options

The hype for the Patriots is to continue to sell jerseys. Nothing else. Cam knows this is it. He has to prove himself for a contract somewhere next year worth a little more than $550K. Remember he had almost zero interest League wide.
    With this receiving corp and a shredded defense with opt outs It’s going to be a long year. Honestly, lucky to finish 3rd in the AFC East. I think Miami goes into Foxboro and beats them week one.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-patriots-have-changed-cam-newton-hasnt-together-they-make-for-one-of-the-nf-ls-most-fascinating-storylines-210039480.html

Coming from the above article, it seems like Belichick and Cam have a love affair going.

We shall see how long it lasts as the season progresses.

Maybe Patriots fans who are still in mourning over the loss of Tom Brady, will soon forget about him. ;)

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

I will be spending my time watching Brady and not that guy for sure. Billechick screwed up big time this year.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    The hype for the Patriots is to continue to sell jerseys. Nothing else. Cam knows this is it. He has to prove himself for a contract somewhere next year worth a little more than $550K. Remember he had almost zero interest League wide.
    With this receiving corp and a shredded defense with opt outs It’s going to be a long year. Honestly, lucky to finish 3rd in the AFC East. I think Miami goes into Foxboro and beats them week one.

Is this the trash talk thread? :D if Cam is healthy, expect a playoff berth. If Cam plays well enough, expect BB to try to lock him up with a three year deal.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

Is this the trash talk thread? :D if Cam is healthy, expect a playoff berth. If Cam plays well enough, expect BB to try to lock him up with a three year deal.

Why didn’t any other team bite on Cam for 3 months? That’s what bothers me about the whole mess. The Jaguars, Chargers? Heck even Pittsburgh with a 38 year old Ben coming off an arm injury? I don’t get it.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

BB took Cam to turn him into a HOFer. Now he will show everyone the real reason for their success the past two decades.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    BB took Cam to turn him into a HOFer. Now he will show everyone the real reason for their success the past two decades.

I give significant credit to Brady for these past two decades. But I believe your theory has merit. BB wants the wins record. He could hang around and get it. Or....he can revolutionize Cam's career, getting the wins record all the while carving out a stellar part of his coaching career post-Brady.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately the Pats look flat during the first half with Miami. In the old days, they would have scored after an interception in Miami territory. Of course the Pats often had trouble with Miami in the old days.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I'm enjoying the game. It's definitely different. Cam just ran for his 2nd Td

• Options

Belichick is doing Subway commercials now lol?

• Options

Just sealed the win with our 3rd int. Good game. 1-0

• Options

They looked much better than I expected, let's see how they play next week against a better opponent at Seattle. Looks like they're gonna trying winning with their run game & defense this season which I'm always a fan of.

Now for some TB12 & Gronk!

• Options

Is Cam hurt? Limping? Hopefully it's nothing.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    They looked much better than I expected, let's see how they play next week against a better opponent at Seattle. Looks like they're gonna trying winning with their run game & defense this season which I'm always a fan of.

Now for some TB12 & Gronk!

It was a fun game for sure.

• Options

Why does every big game get played in Seattle? They get all breaks.

Little Pete Carol is my least favorite coach. Every New England fan, who was around before the dynasty, knows why.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Is Cam hurt? Limping? Hopefully it's nothing.

I don’t see how he’s going to last the season if he runs around as much as he did in the Miami game.

• Options

Patriots fans are in mourning now over their win today.

• Options

I was very impressed with the play calling. I had my doubts the last few years about McDaniels.

• Options

Pats looked good running the ball, Newton will get hurt if he keeps it up though. It was against the Fins and even though we struggle against st them it’s still the Ryan Fitzpatrick led Fins.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to feel differently about the NFL and other pro sports that have become so political, but I don't.
    I did watch some Brady and Cam yesterday, but mostly because of the novelty of it all.

Pro Sports is not the place to express political opinions and disrespect the flag. Buried a couple of buddies from the Nam days, for them, I'm pretty much done with pro sports until things improve.

No knock on those who enjoy, maybe we just experienced different things along the way.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

I had directv given to me feee this year but did not watch any of the NFL games and have made up my mind I am not going to this year.

• Options

I am liking this year's team. Fun. Too bad we lost. May need a better kicker....