Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2020 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe BB should have gone for Joe Flaco instead of Cam Newton,

If the Patriots lose this one, they will probably finish last in the division. That leaves the question, why spend the money Newton?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Down to the wire but the W

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad teams find a way to lose. 5 minutes left, up 7 and the Jets hold the ball for exactly 11 seconds. Well done Adam. Your plan for Trevor is working

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was and will be a lot of talk about how a loss last night would have improved our draft position.

And we have won all these SBs and as a result regular season games have been relegated to almost inconsequential events.

But this is still the NFL. We are the Pats. They are the Jets. And that feeling on that last drive, and before the field goal try, and watching the kick split the uprights, was priceless.

• Options
    edited November 10, 2020 11:39AM

When I saw the score this morning, I thought of the line from the classic 1930s film, _Frankenstein _,

“It’s alive! It’s alive!”

That’s what this season has been like for the Patriots. Somehow I see it ending in a burning windmill, not on stage with Peter Boyle doing a jig.

At least we probably won’t finish last behind the Jets. I can look at my Christmas tree with my Hallmark Brady and Gronk ornaments hanging on it and think of better times.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patriots fans, i just read where today is the final day to be able to cancel your Patriots 2020 fan club membership and receive a prorated refund.

I would list the refund amount for you, but i'm not sure how to prorate the $5 yearly membership fee into a 16 game season divided by the 8 games already played.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020 1:27PM

my one takeaway from the game last night was the penultimate play. it's one thing to be devoid of talent like the Jets are, but it's a whole nother thing to have players who lack situational awareness.

Pats had the ball on their own 47 with a grand total of 8 ticks left on the clock. a FG to win. now FF to 3:13 of the clip below and watch the worthless safety for the Jets (#32). he might as well have been on the sideline, because he didn't do squat except allow an easy pitch-and-catch to set up the game winner. dude acted like he was petrified that Cam was going to air it out :D, so Jakobi Meyers said muchas gracias for the 15(!)-yard cushion and parked it in a soft spot. heaven forbid that idiot safety play tight enough to be able to break on the ball and prevent the Pats from doing what everyone in the universe (except him) knew they were going to do.

i hope the Jets go 0-16, then draft a bust who has a cup of coffee in the NFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ns_GRlyOQ

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    my one takeaway from the game last night was the penultimate play. it's one thing to be devoid of talent like the Jets are, but it's a whole nother thing to have players who lack situational awareness.

Pats had the ball on their own 47 with a grand total of 8 ticks left on the clock. a FG to win. now FF to 3:13 of the clip below and watch the worthless safety for the Jets (#32). he might as well have been on the sideline, because he didn't do squat except allow an easy pitch-and-catch to set up the game winner. dude acted like he was petrified that Cam was going to air it out :D, so Jakobi Meyers said muchas gracias for the 15(!)-yard cushion and parked it in a soft spot. heaven forbid that idiot safety play tight enough to be able to break on the ball and prevent the Pats from doing what everyone in the universe (except him) knew they were going to do.

i hope the Jets go 0-16, then draft a bust who has a cup of coffee in the NFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ns_GRlyOQ

I just watched it again. It almost looks like he's playing prevent defense or something.....when it is obvious the Patriots just need yards to set up the field goal.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    When I saw the score this morning, I thought of the line from the classic 1930s film, _Frankenstein _,

“It’s alive! It’s alive!”

That’s what this season has been like for the Patriots. Somehow I see it ending in a burning windmill, not on stage with Peter Boyle doing a jig.

At least we probably won’t finish last behind the Jets. I can look at my Christmas tree with my Hallmark Brady and Gronk ornaments hanging on it and think of better times.

You too Bill!
    You're a Pats fan also? Did not know that, that makes about 98.7% of the posters here Patriots fans.

And only Mel Brooks would come up with a way to introduce Frankenstein's monster to polite society
    by having him perform a tap dance to 'puttin on the ritz'. :p I always thought that scene was pure genius.
    And it worked briefly, he was doing very well until the stage lights blew. LOL.

• Options

Yes, I lived in the Boston area for over 20 years. I watched the Patriots through thick and very thin.

Here is my Christmas tree (Yes, it's up. We need a little Christmas!) with dreams of seasons past. That's Brady on top and Gronk on the bottom.

Now I am following the Tampa team. They have been hard to team to love. They will probably get in the play-offs for the first time in more than decade.

• Options

I love those ornaments @BillJones

• Options

New England is taking a page from the Tennessee playbook on how to beat Baltimore. Get ahead, shorten the game and rattle Jackson. If Cam would’ve set his feet it would be 27-10 with 20 minutes to go. Baltimore can’t come from behind as they are 1-4 when trailing at half. The only comeback was last week trailing by only 3 so I really don’t consider that a true comeback.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2020 9:19PM

New England beats Baltimore!

It’s alive! It’s MORE alive!

Peter Boyle is warming up off-stage!

• Options

Always feels good to beat certain teams and Baltimore is one of them. We need Cam to get his throwing motion together. But can't count on that. I still hope we can be that scrappy wildcard team.

• Options

Congratulations to New England. Feels weird to root for the Patriots!

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Thanks Joe! The Giants and Ravens are two teams I cannot stand so it felt good to see them pull out a W against Harbaugh & Co. the Ravens are taking a big step back from last year

• Options

I actually like the Ravens when they are not playing the Bucks, Eagles or Patriots. The reasons are that I grew up with the Colts and Johnny Unitas as my “second team” after the Eagles, and the many coin shows I have attended in Baltimore.

I can’t stand the Giants, however.

• Options

Besides divisional opponents, I love to beat the Colts, Steelers, Ravens, and Giants.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta give Cam credit he’s been playing pretty good since that fumble in Buffalo. One of the best things about last nights win is you just know that Harbaugh probably thought he had this game in the bag...a bad Pats team without Brady...you’ve got the reining NFL MVP while playing at home and you still lose.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2020 8:22AM

@erikthredd said:
    Gotta give Cam credit he’s been playing pretty good since that fumble in Buffalo. One of the best things about last nights win is you just know that Harbaugh probably thought he had this game in the bag...a bad Pats team without Brady...you’ve got the reining NFL MVP while playing at home and you still lose.

It is possible that some of the Baltimore players took the Patriots lightly. As much as I am not a huge fan of Lamar Jackson, he is far from the reason they lost. Besides the injuries, they need receiving help. But Jackson was forcing it to Hollywood.

Edit to add: I don't know if they mentioned it during the game, but Hollywood Brown tweeted then deleted a tweet talking about his lack of targets. The possibility that Jackson was forcing the ball to him because of that is not good.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

It is possible that some of the Baltimore players took the Patriots lightly. As much as I am not a huge fan of Lamar Jackson, he is far from the reason they lost. Besides the injuries, they need receiving help. But Jackson was forcing it to Hollywood.

My comment was more of a dig at Harbaugh than it was of Jackson but on the WRs,I think I’d rather have the Ravens wideouts over the ones that played for NE last night

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

My comment was more of a dig at Harbaugh than it was of Jackson but on the WRs,I think I’d rather have the Ravens wideouts over the ones that played for NE last night

Yah but they need someone besides a running back throwing to them. Not to beat my dead horse but film and adjustments means clipboard year 5

W.C.Fields
  • Options

As I've said before, I believe that Belichick has the HC wins record as his endgame. I don't think he would hesitate to keep Cam if he felt that the team would be a double digit win team next year with him.

After this loss, at 4-6, the playoffs will most likely not happen. Either way, in my opinion, we should move on from Cam no matter how this season plays out.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

Should never have signed him in the first place !

• Options
    edited November 22, 2020 8:14PM

The fat lady has finished her torch song and gone back to her dressing room. Belichick and the Pats will take the post season off for the first time in a while.

• Options

That Burkhead injury didn’t look good,I hope that wasn’t the last time we see him in the NFL.

I doubt we see it happen but I’d sit Cam over the final 4-5 games and start Stidham just to see what he looks like as the starter. He can’t really be that much worse than Cam has imo.

• Options

With this last win there is still a possible path to the playoffs. But it most likely would require winning out.

I don't feel very confident in the way McDaniels schemes the offense. And that also concerns me when I think about next year.

I also have some questions about Steve and Brian Belichick and our defense.

I'm interested in hearing any opinions on these topics.

• Options

4 of their remaining games are against pretty good teams. 2 in LA 4 days apart. I would venture a guess they will stay in LA after the Chargers game to face the Rams on Thursday night. Then buffalo and Miami. Chances are very slim they get to 10-6 as I predict will be needed for a wild card. 9-7 might do it if they have a tie breaker against the Ravens. But I highly doubt 3 teams come out of the East. Let me ponder on next year when we see what the cap will be.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2020 10:48AM

@thisistheshow said:
    With this last win there is still a possible path to the playoffs. But it most likely would require winning out.

I don't feel very confident in the way McDaniels schemes the offense. And that also concerns me when I think about next year.

I think they’re capable of winning any of these last five games but I don’t see them winning enough to get into the playoffs. I’d honestly rather see them go 0-5 rather than 2-3/3-2 where they finish close to .500 then BB might decide to bring Cam back for another year.

As for McDaniels it’s tough calling him out on his play calling when he’s working with Cam as his QB,a subpar wideout group and basically no tight ends(after they just drafted two.) When the defense knows that your QB can’t hit his WRs on short passes it’s pretty easy to game plan for this offense.

As for Bill’s kid I know the sentiment around here is to rip him every time his name gets mentioned but last year he was responsible for most of the defensive play calling and that defense was one of the best ever statistically. Take away Hightower,Collins,Van Noy,Roberts,Shelton,Chung & Harmon out of the picture and their defense suffered greatly for it. That’s a lot of experience lost with only a few rookies and pretty much one FA(Adrian Phillips) as replacement.

Honestly, I think this team’s failures in 2020 mostly come down to lack of talent on both sides of the ball and that falls entirely on Bill. They reportedly will have a ton of cap space this offseason as well a ton of draft picks including some pretty high compensatory picks coming for losing Brady,Van Noy & Collins so we’ll see if they can take a step forward going into next season. (They did lose their third rounder for filming the Bengals sideline in 2019.) :#

• Options
    edited December 1, 2020 11:59AM

They do have a bunch of players coming back from opting out a year to heal and fresh legs. It’s what or who they do at quarterback. Would it surprise you to see Darnold wind up in New England? If anyone has seen any hope at all is BB playing him twice a year. My personal thought is Darnold winds up in Chicago. Nothing to back it, just an educated opinion.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

I think they’re capable of winning any of these last five games but I don’t see them winning enough to get into the playoffs. I’d honestly rather see them go 0-5 rather than 2-3/3-2 where they finish close to .500 then BB might decide to bring Cam back for another year.

As for McDaniels it’s tough calling him out on his play calling when he’s working with Cam as his QB,a subpar wideout group and basically no tight ends(after they just drafted two.) When the defense knows that your QB can’t hit his WRs on short passes it’s pretty easy to game plan for this offense.

As for Bill’s kid I know the sentiment around here is to rip him every time his name gets mentioned but last year he was responsible for most of the defensive play calling and that defense was one of the best ever statistically. Take away Hightower,Collins,Van Noy,Roberts,Shelton,Chung & Harmon out of the picture and their defense suffered greatly for it. That’s a lot of experience lost with only a few rookies and pretty much one FA(Adrian Phillips) as replacement.

Honestly, I think this team’s failures in 2020 mostly come down to lack of talent on both sides of the ball and that falls entirely on Bill. They reportedly will have a ton of cap space this offseason as well a ton of draft picks including some pretty high compensatory picks coming for losing Brady,Van Noy & Collins so we’ll see if they can take a step forward going into next season. (They did lose their third rounder for filming the Bengals sideline in 2019.) :#

I am definitely curious and skeptically hopeful about our potential high draft pick.

As for McDaniels, I agree with your sentiment. My concern is actually more if we do (hopefully) get a different QB and McDaniels does stay here, how will the offense look. I go back and forth on McDaniels, and I can't say that i think he's doing the best job this year even with all those caveats you mention. Maybe it has to with other coaches. I know the team has lost a lot of them at different levels.

And yes the defense was great last year with Steve supposedly at the helm. I think maybe I'm most concerned with restocking some key positions. I'd like to see us get a versatile, good at coverage linebacker in the draft.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    They do have a bunch of players coming back from opting out a year to heal and fresh legs. It’s what or who they do at quarterback. Would it surprise you to see Darnold wind up in New England? If anyone has seen any hope at all is BB playing him twice a year. My personal thought is Darnold winds up in Chicago. Nothing to back it, just an educated opinion.

I would be surprised to see Darnold here.

• Options

If the season ended today they’d own the 15th pick which is great compared to their picks most years but we’re assuming Bill uses it on a QB or trades up for one. Knowing his history he’ll just as likely trade back or just completely ignore a clear need on draft day. I’m just praying that they don’t finish 8-8 then BB thinks well if we add a few pieces on offense Cam might get us to 10-11 wins next year. I think even with the offense looking like it has all year there are a couple bright spots in Harris & Meyers developing a clear role going forward. Get a QB that can actually throw the ball, a couple decent WRs(preferably FAs) and if one of the two TEs just drafted can get on the field and catch the ball this team may look much better than it has. I think the defense definitely has more pieces to build around than the offense does

• Options
  • Options

There is some writers saying Stafford and Patricia will be in New England. I could see Patricia maybe but Stafford? I don’t think so

• Options

@perkdog said:
    There is some writers saying Stafford and Patricia will be in New England. I could see Patricia maybe but Stafford? I don’t think so

I would love Stafford. I don't want Patricia back. Just my opinion.

• Options

Patricia taking over for BB as head coach or just back on the defensive side of the ball? If Bill steps down and the choice was between Patricia & McDaniels I’d rather go with Josh there. My ultimate choice as Bill Belichick’s HC replacement would be Mike Vrabel.

As for Matt Stafford,sure why not. They’d need to invest heavily at the offensive skill positions so we don’t see another season on offense like this one.

• Options

I would not want Patricia back on any level.

I consider Stafford to be a very, very good QB.

• Options

I’d definitely take Patricia back, he served us well. As far as Stafford goes I’d rather not, he is big money and unless you surround him with solid WR talent he is marginal at best. Big Bill doesn’t like Big Name WR’s so putting together a patchwork WR corps won’t get Stafford marching us to a strong playoff run in my opinion.

• Options

Matt Ryan fits better than Stafford but there’s a 3 year age difference. I don’t think BB cares about age since he kept a 44 year old QB. Unfortunately for Stafford he’s been on hohum teams always in flux. We’ll never know how good he really was.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    I’d definitely take Patricia back, he served us well. As far as Stafford goes I’d rather not, he is big money and unless you surround him with solid WR talent he is marginal at best. Big Bill doesn’t like Big Name WR’s so putting together a patchwork WR corps won’t get Stafford marching us to a strong playoff run in my opinion.

@2dueces said:
    Matt Ryan fits better than Stafford but there’s a 3 year age difference. I don’t think BB cares about age since he kept a 44 year old QB. Unfortunately for Stafford he’s been on hohum teams always in flux. We’ll never know how good he really was.

I know that everyone is not high on Stafford, but IMO his talent has been wasted with a poorly run organization. And that is unfortunate because it is such an historically important franchise.

As for Patricia, yes he served us well. But I personally had soured on him a bit before he left. But I apparently wasn't paying enough attention to things to realize that he was going to essentially sabotage his HC chances right when they started -atleast according to the accounts and reports that have long surfaces from within the Lions organization. His bend don't break defenses were difficult to watch at times for me as well.

Matt Ryan is loved in Boston (Matty Ice) but there is also 28-3. I have said since it happened that he needed a fresh start elsewhere after it happened. Would coming to NE be the catharsis that he needs, or the equivalent of Wentz staring at that Nick Foles statue everyday?

• Options

Honestly the fact that Matty Ice was a product of 28-3 makes me love him that much more lol

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Honestly the fact that Matty Ice was a product of 28-3 makes me love him that much more lol

I get that. I love him too. I just know that since it happened he and/or the Falcons are unable to hold leads. I'd love to see him come full circle and get embraced back in Boston. Honestly, it is exactly the type of scenario we need.

• Options

Pats waxed the rookie today. Beating Anthony Lynn teams aren’t really bragging rights. His team is poorly couched in all phases. He has to be on his last leg in LA. Maybe his last toe nail.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2020 7:50PM

@2dueces said:
    Pats waxed the rookie today. Beating Anthony Lynn teams aren’t really bragging rights.

Maybe not , but a 45 to nuthin' shutout is.

Edit because for some reason the is was an are

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:
    Pats waxed the rookie today. Beating Anthony Lynn teams aren’t really bragging rights.

I didn’t mean to take anything away from the Patriots. They were awesome in every phase of the game. They are coming together at the right time. Games against Buffalo and Miami now mean something when a month ago they looked like a foregone conclusion.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

I didn’t mean to take anything away from the Patriots. They were awesome in every phase of the game. They are coming together at the right time. Games against Buffalo and Miami now mean something when a month ago they looked like a foregone conclusion.

I know you didn't, I'm just giving you a hard time now that I now we're in the same state... 😂

• Options

Who saw this coming?

• Options

Don’t count on a play-off appearance yet. The Buffalo game is at home, and I think they stand a good chance of winning it. Miami is another story. The Pats have frequently had trouble beating them, especially in Miami, for whatever reasons. Maybe it’s playing in the heat in December. Miami has been on a roll, and they have a hot young quarterback, although old man Fitzpatrick has been a pain the butt in the past.

The Pats are 6 - 6 and they might need to run the table to play in the post season.