Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2020 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2020 4:54PM

Now I get it. They took a kicker who probably wasn’t going to be drafted by anyone instead of Fromm or another QB because he said “Do your job” in a post game interview https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-draft-patriots-surprisingly-select-a-kicker-before-taking-a-quarterback-and-everyone-is-confused/

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well perhaps Fromm isn't as good as some out there think? I mean he didn't get picked until the 5th round by any other team either.

What was a bit puzzling is Belichick taking two tight ends. Of course the last time Belichick did that he struck paydirt. But i don't recall teams often taking two tight ends in a draft.

What is puzzling as well is Belichick taking that player from a division two school with his first pick. Even though i read the kid has good stats, often those stats accumulated in a division two school don't translate into success in the NFL comprised of mostly division one players.

But outside the first round and sometimes even in the first round, great teams will choose the best player available rather than choose for need when there are nothing but stiffs available at that position. So Belichick must have seen something particularly good on film that made him really like this kid and decided to pick him where he did.

All that being said, the question that can be asked is Bill Belichick still the football genius that he has been for many years, or at his age has he lost his touch and is now making too many mistakes?

Moving forward, we shall see if the Patriots under Belichick now deteriorate into mediocrity or continue to play at a high level.

• Options

Bill made a fool of himself with this draft, the guy is destroying the Patriots at this point

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Bill made a fool of himself with this draft, the guy is destroying the Patriots at this point

I tend to agree with ya Paul. But we won't really know anything about anybody until we are 4-6 weeks into the season. JMHO

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

I tend to agree with ya Paul. But we won't really know anything about anybody until we are 4-6 weeks into the season. JMHO

Let’s see how it plays out Jon, I really like Cee Dee Lamb buddy 🍻

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

he sucks at drafting , he tries to make himself look clever with all his stupid trading down and sideways and finds a good player every 5 years if that

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

he sucks at drafting , he tries to make himself look clever with all his stupid trading down and sideways and finds a good player every 5 years if that

Agreed

• Options

I’m sure Edelman is so excited for this year, I’m sure he is going to completely sacrifice himself going over the middle to make a difference 🙄

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

My initial reaction was to not hate this draft.... Other than being very surprised by the kicker pick.

I will have to dig deeper.

• Options

So the Pats sign two Undrafted free agent QB’s that nobody has ever heard of. Bill must be thinking he can scratch a winning lottery ticket or something

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be in the minority here but I actually liked what Belichick did in this draft but I won't pretend that I know who any of these players are. I guess most opinions on how well he did are based upon if he drafted a QB or not and by not taking one shows that they're committed to a kid whose been in the system for a over a year. So from that standpoint,I wanted to see the team give him a shot over using another midround pick on some "name" in this draft.
    Once you get past that,the team drafted on what they needed most: Linebackers, Tight Ends, Offensive Line depth and a Kicker.
    Anyone that watched last year's team on a weekly basis knows that they needed multiple Tight Ends not just a guy to replace Gronk in the starting lineup.
    We just watched the Linebacker position get gutted in free agency and with little cap space available I'm all for drafting multiple players at that position.
    Offensive line depth was a huge problem a year ago after they lost their starting LT for 8+ weeks and their center for the season then had to immediately rely on guys they signed off the unemployment line. Mid to late round O-Linemen usually fill out the depth chart for their positions.
    We needed a kicker and if this was the "their" guy then so be it. The only time BB has ever used draft picks on K/P they've all pretty much turned into one of the better players at their positions while here(Mesko,Gostkowski,Allen.)
    I think the one questionable pick was definitely taking the DII kid in round two but I'll hold off judgement until I actually see him play.

• Options
    edited April 28, 2020 12:13PM

Eric, I respect what your saying, it’s a crap shoot who will work out or not. I just think the D2 kid was going to be available much later, spending a 2nd rounder on him was not a great move any way you look at it in my opinion. Nobody was going to draft that kicker either, I mean let’s be real here. He addressed needs but in a completely irresponsible way, again just my opinion

• Options

And let me add that if I’m that rookie Kicker I’m not removing that tattoo. It’s not a racist tat, it’s a Molon Labe statement

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Eric, I respect what your saying, it’s a crap shoot who will work out or not. I just think the D2 kid was going to be available much later, spending a 2nd rounder on him was not a great move any way you look at it in my opinion. Nobody was going to draft that kicker either, I mean let’s be real here. He addressed needs but in a completely irresponsible way, again just my opinion

We've seen this story played out so many times before that it's really not surprising anymore when it happens again. Sure the safety could turn into another Jordan Richards/Tavon Wilson or he could also turn into the eventual replacement for one of Patrick Chung or Devin McCourty,who are both 32. Only time will tell.

The kicker pick doesn't bother me at all not after we've all been complaining about Gostkowski for years now. Let's be honest,the kid was taken with the 159th pick of the 5th round and it's unlikely that any other player taken that late in the draft will have as much of an impact starting day one as the starting kicker will. All of Belichick's trading players for draft picks and hoarding compensatory picks is for times like this where he can afford to take who they thought was the best kicker in the draft with one of those picks. I haven't seen or read about his tattoo yet and whatever that is he'll have to deal with it one way or another.

Like I mentioned before,I don't know anything about any of these players, which is pretty much the case every year seeing that I don't watch college football, so I'm not going to gripe about who was taken where. I think we're all under agreement that expectations will be pretty low for at least this upcoming season and likely longer but I am kind of looking forward to seeing how their younger players look especially on offense. From these past three rookie classes they got Stidham at QB, Michel & Harris at RB, Harry,Meyers & Gunner at WR plus the two TEs they just drafted who will likely be their core going forward for the next few years.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

If the Patriots suck this year we still have Brady and Gronk to watch instead. The Patriots had a real good run and nothing lasts forever.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    If the Patriots suck this year we still have Brady and Gronk to watch instead. The Patriots had a real good run and nothing lasts forever.

I wish Brady & Gronk well, I’m a Patriots first guy but this upcoming season I want the Pats to go 4-12 just to spite Belichick

• Options

@perkdog said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

I wish Brady & Gronk well, I’m a Patriots first guy but this upcoming season I want the Pats to go 4-12 just to spite Belichick

you are being very generous giving them 4

Of course if the pats tanked all the way into the 1st overall pick they would trade it away anyway.... or have it seized for the next taping incident :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

you are being very generous giving them 4

Of course if the pats tanked all the way into the 1st overall pick they would trade it away anyway.... or have it seized for the next taping incident :D

Well I want Belichick to be made a fool of and angrily retire. Yea I want him gone.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2020 8:32AM

For some reason I am not upset about the draft. @perkdog You are right, the kicker would have been available as an undrafted free agent. Is there anyway to think he might have not been? Does BB have a reason to make that pick? I don't know. But I'm not shocked. No QB is okay. Why reach? But we signed two after the draft.

I see a lot of negative response to the picks.

That tat seems to be stirring up a lot of opinions. What's the local talk on that?

Edit. Clarity.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

I too am first season Patriots fan having lived within walking distance from the Foxboro raceway since I was a kid but this is not going to be the year for them for sure.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2020 2:27PM

@thisistheshow said:
    For some reason I am not upset about the draft. @perkdog You are right, the kicker would have been available as an undrafted free agent. Is there anyway to think he might have not been? Does BB have a reason to make that pick? I don't know. But I'm not shocked. No QB is okay. Why reach? But we signed two after the draft.

That tat seems to be stirring up a lot of opinions. What's the local talk on that?

Edit. Clarity.

I don’t listen to Sports talk so as far as local talk on the draft results it’s nothing more than me and my buddies, my closest friend who knows his Football is not really saying much other than he is not suprised that the draft disappointed most fans. The picks were not sexy by any means but who knows how it will play out. I’m ok with them not drafting a QB if they are committed to Stidham but Bill is crazy if he thinks the offense will work well with Edelman as the #1 WR, especially with a untested starter at QB. My opinion has been and remains that we will be looking at a 4-12 type season and I hope Bill quits after next season.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Edit. Clarity.

I don’t listen to Sports talk so as far as local talk on the draft results it’s nothing more than me and my buddies, my closest friend who knows his Football is not really saying much other than he is not suprised that the draft disappointed most fans. The picks were not sexy by any means but who knows how it will play out. I’m ok with them not drafting a QB if they are committed to Stidham but Bill is crazy if he thinks the offense will work well with Edelman as the #1 WR, especially with a untested starter at QB. My opinion has been and remains that we will be looking at a 4-12 type season and I hope Bill quits after next season.

Edelman definitely needs to be your 2, even better 3....not including TEs. He can step up, be clutch, but he needs support. We drafted two TEs. IMO TEs usually take a few years to be able to contribute. Harry could always make a huge leap.

I think the huge odds that there will be no season make me somewhat less upset about the draft than I should be.

And as much as the Brady and Gronk show would be fun, I would prefer TB to never play for TB. If there is no season he might retire, maybe...

• Options

It would be quite the story if they didn’t play and Brady had to wait a full year to actually suit up and play for the Bucs, that’s a huge deal especially at his age!

• Options

BB gets to finally stop paying for Antonio Brown & Aaron Hernandez and the Pats now get an additional 7M in cap space.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    BB gets to finally stop paying for Antonio Brown & Aaron Hernandez and the Pats now get an additional 7M in cap space.

Crazy but good news

• Options

I have to admit, I am coming around on the Cam signing. I still hate the SB non-dive, but I am excited to see what he can do.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I have to admit, I am coming around on the Cam signing. I still hate the SB non-dive, but I am excited to see what he can do.

Overall I’m going to give him a chance but I’m not all that excited about their chances of being a contender by any stretch.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t want to quote the above statement that maybe Fromm isn’t that good and lasted until the 5th round. Guy named Brady lasted until the 6th. Not many teams though he was any good either. Needless to say not drafting any QB was idiotic beyond words. You get a 4th, 5th rounder for the league minimum when your franchise is completely capped out? Then sign a $7.5 M backup. We’ll see this year if he’s the genius he thinks he is or was it just Tom. History proves time and time again it takes a unique combination of two to make greatness weather it be in sports or music.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cam Newton says he can do things that Tom Brady couldn't do.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/cam-newton-i-can-do-things-for-patriots-that-tom-brady-couldnt

Yeah well, Cam let me know when you win six Super Bowls. Heck, let me know when you recover a fumble.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Don’t want to quote the above statement that maybe Fromm isn’t that good and lasted until the 5th round. Guy named Brady lasted until the 6th. Not many teams though he was any good either. Needless to say not drafting any QB was idiotic beyond words. You get a 4th, 5th rounder for the league minimum when your franchise is completely capped out? Then sign a $7.5 M backup. We’ll see this year if he’s the genius he thinks he is or was it just Tom. History proves time and time again it takes a unique combination of two to make greatness weather it be in sports or music.

There is no logical reasons to explain Belichick and his draft logic. None

• Options
  • Options

I am getting more and more anxious for some football!

• Options
    edited July 24, 2020 2:08PM

@thisistheshow said:

Same here, I hope we don’t get disappointed 😞

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Same here, I hope we don’t get disappointed 😞

Since we have no sports I’ve gone back and YouTube the Patriots games from the last 2 years. (Already did the Bills for 3) it is simply amazing the success they had when their receivers -JE, had absolutely no separation. Not counting bad teams or when the Patriots had a big lead. Tom was throwing to receivers that had DB’s draped all over them or tight, tight windows. TB might have lost some zip but he still was Tom Terrific. Good luck Cam. He’s not that accurate and his arm isn’t that strong. If the defense even drops off 10% it’s going to be a long season playing catch-up.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Edelman is the Pats best receiver and takes a beating, I expect more abuse coming his way. If Harry and Myers can get better they could do “OK” but the lack of a decent TE spells trouble for the running game if those guys are dropping balls like last year. Pats are not going to be all that good in my honest opinion

• Options

cam is a great athlete , bill the coach should be able to work with that.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2020 5:21PM

@bronco2078 said:

Are we shocked Bill the GM didn’t cut any of his early draft picks? 😂

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Are we shocked Bill the GM didn’t cut any of his early draft picks? 😂

he will wait for some distraction and do it

• Options

Looks like if there is an NFL season the Pats will playing without Dont'a Hightower, Patrick Chung, Marcus Cannon, Brandon Bolden, Dan Vitale and Najee Toran after they all opted out of playing due to Covid.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Looks like if there is an NFL season the Pats will playing without Dont'a Hightower, Patrick Chung, Marcus Cannon, Brandon Bolden, Dan Vitale and Najee Toran after they all opted out of playing due to Covid.

More will follow I bet. They have till 8/3 to decide

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Just think,the more Pats players that sit out the season will only give Bill more open roster spots to fill the team with his beloved Undrafted Rookie FreeAgents lol.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Just think,the more Pats players that sit out the season will only give Bill more open roster spots to fill the team with his beloved Undrafted Rookie FreeAgents lol.

Valid point! 😂😂😂

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Valid point! 😂😂😂

I think you’re fooling yourself. You think these players would have opted out if Brady was still there? Not a chance. Bill said look it’s a building year, time to reset the clock. 5-11 and we trade up for Lawrence. I can see the futures drop their win totals from 9.5 to 7.5 by season opener. My quick trip to Biloxi is going to look good after taking the under 9 before Cam. Welcome to the world of BB, the mad scientist.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of gamblers have gone broke over the years betting against Bill Belichick. We all know that.

However Belichick is getting up in age, and some day he will begin a decline in his ability as every coach and athlete eventually does in their career.

Will 2020 be the season in which the decline for Belichick begins? We shall see.

In any event, it's not debatable that Bill Belichick is the GOAT NFL head coach, even if he never wins another football game.

• Options

The only reason I'm in this thread right now is because I have to get away from the Aaron Rodgers tequila thread. It smells like tequila and stale Wisconsin cheese in there.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    The only reason I'm in this thread right now is because I have to get away from the Aaron Rodgers tequila thread. It smells like tequila and stale Wisconsin cheese in there.

Double D your always welcome in the Pats thread 🍻👍👍

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Thanks perk!🍻🍻

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Thanks perk!🍻🍻

Just be advised if they play this year I can’t promise you this thread won’t stink of skunked Sam Adams beer though 😳

• Options
    edited July 30, 2020 5:34AM

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Thanks perk!🍻🍻

Just be advised if they play this year I can’t promise you this thread won’t stink of skunked Sam Adams beer though 😳

😂😂😂😂😂😂 We're lucky there isn't a Panthers thread on the sports forum. I think we all know what it would smell like.

• Options

😳😂😂😂😂