Home Sports Talk

New England Patriots 2020 Discussion Thread

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree with you here @2dueces I think my Pats will do a one-eighty by next season. I've said before that Belichick's endgame is the HC wins record. And he is going to do everything he can to assemble a rock-solid team asap.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    I’m not a big conspiracy guy, well yes I am. Lol. This season is no accident. I don’t care that the Patriots aren’t competitive. Yes I do. Bill had a plan as soon as he let Brady go. Sure Bill could muster 8 wins if he traded or picked up a middle tier QB. Sure Bill could’ve been fairly relevant. That’s not Bill. When he let Brady go he decided not to enter into the free agent market. He didn’t offer contracts to his own to keep them. He made his phone calls to players on the fence about opting out. Sit out this year. Don’t worry about it. So NE sucks on purpose. Bill is not going to be mired into 5-6 years at 8-8. Let’s suck this year. Get a top draft choice. Get a franchise QB. Get a boat load of cap space and draft high this year. Don’t think this is a fluke. This is a plan. Prove me wrong in 2 years when they again are a 9-10-11 win season. Let’s see if he really is the mad genius. That said Buffalo blows them off the field Sunday. Watch and see. Once they lose this game at 2-5 you’ll nod your head and say, “Dueces, you are the man.”

nonsense . Are you not listening to Pats fans? What good is a top draft choice to a guy that can't draft?

You know the patriots worked out Lamar Jackson and passed on him? That they passed on your kicker? Then chose a kicker they cut in training camp? Your kicker seems pretty good ;)

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@2dueces said:
    I’m not a big conspiracy guy, well yes I am. Lol. This season is no accident. I don’t care that the Patriots aren’t competitive. Yes I do. Bill had a plan as soon as he let Brady go. Sure Bill could muster 8 wins if he traded or picked up a middle tier QB. Sure Bill could’ve been fairly relevant. That’s not Bill. When he let Brady go he decided not to enter into the free agent market. He didn’t offer contracts to his own to keep them. He made his phone calls to players on the fence about opting out. Sit out this year. Don’t worry about it. So NE sucks on purpose. Bill is not going to be mired into 5-6 years at 8-8. Let’s suck this year. Get a top draft choice. Get a franchise QB. Get a boat load of cap space and draft high this year. Don’t think this is a fluke. This is a plan. Prove me wrong in 2 years when they again are a 9-10-11 win season. Let’s see if he really is the mad genius. That said Buffalo blows them off the field Sunday. Watch and see. Once they lose this game at 2-5 you’ll nod your head and say, “Dueces, you are the man.”

nonsense . Are you not listening to Pats fans? What good is a top draft choice to a guy that can't draft?

You know the patriots worked out Lamar Jackson and passed on him? That they passed on your kicker? Then chose a kicker they cut in training camp? Your kicker seems pretty good ;)

Just because he can’t draft doesn’t mean he doesn’t think he’s a genius. If he thinks it will work then he’s going to do it. Only time will tell how bad they tank this year. The talking heads are convinced they are going to turn it around and Bills genius wills them to a victory Sunday. If that happens the Bills are far from legit and the need to go back to the drawing board. But it isn’t happening, not Sunday, not this year. Bills hold the Cam Newton Patriots under 150 yards passing. Now can they stop the run?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:

@bronco2078 said:

@2dueces said:

Just because he can’t draft doesn’t mean he doesn’t think he’s a genius. If he thinks it will work then he’s going to do it. Only time will tell how bad they tank this year. The talking heads are convinced they are going to turn it around and Bills genius wills them to a victory Sunday. If that happens the Bills are far from legit and the need to go back to the drawing board. But it isn’t happening, not Sunday, not this year. Bills hold the Cam Newton Patriots under 150 yards passing. Now can they stop the run?

well for some reason the patriots took the run option away from Cam. The one thing that was working for him he isnt allowed to do for some reason

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cam throwing for under 150 passing yards isn’t going to be some great feat by whichever defense he faces. In this NE offense, Cam throwing the ball is practically an afterthought and he’s been held to 162 passing yards or less in every game they played so far but one.

@erikthredd said:
    Cam throwing for under 150 passing yards isn’t going to be some great feat by whichever defense he faces. In this NE offense, Cam throwing the ball is practically an afterthought and he’s been held to 162 passing yards or less in every game they played so far but one.

what about seattle?

too lazy to look it up :#

edited October 30, 2020 6:10PM

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

what about seattle?

You were to lazy to finish reading my last sentence,that but one at the end was Seattle and the only game he had over 162 passing yards.

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

what about seattle?

You were to lazy to finish reading my last sentence,that but one at the end was Seattle and the only game he had over 162 passing yards.

"too" :#

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

This week’s game will decide if the Patriots are going to go anywhere this year. If they lose to Buffalo, they will be three games behind them, and it will be pretty much over. If they win, they are a game behind the Bills and still in it.

The trouble is they need an offense. If your offense can do nothing but three and out, the defense will break down because they are on the field for too long.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    This week’s game will decide if the Patriots are going to go anywhere this year. If they lose to Buffalo, they will be three games behind them, and it will be pretty much over. If they win, they are a game behind the Bills and still in it.

The trouble is they need an offense. If your offense can do nothing but three and out, the defense will break down because they are on the field for too long.

After they lose this game I might think about taking the Jets next week. 😂

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

I have not missed watching football this season .

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:

I’m totally enjoying it, even though the Pats are in shambles, in fact it’s far less stressful. I’m just glad the season is rolling

and I have the NFL package free this year too.

edited October 31, 2020 6:17PM

@perkdog said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

I’m totally enjoying it, even though the Pats are in shambles, in fact it’s far less stressful. I’m just glad the season is rolling

I totally agree. I'm never going to complain about all the years (decades) of dominance, but I can definitely see exactly what you mean.

Edit for clarity

I enjoyed my younger years when I lived close enough to the old stadium that I could walk there but football and their overpaid players have turned me off completely. I am more interested in this years election and Nascar racing now. At least the racers honor our flag!

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

You just had to know going into this season that it was going to be a long one. Just about all the success they had on offense was due to Brady's uncanny ability to dissect defenses; outside of a few names, they never had any star players on that side of the ball. Try to replace that with a QB as unreliable and inconsistent as Newton and it is a sure recipe for disaster.

Thanks Cam. He was playing great in that 4th quarter and then he gives away the game. :#

On a side note,I’m really liking Damian Harris the more I see him play hopefully they keep feeding him more carries.

For the Patriots, "The Party's Over," for this season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@erikthredd said:
    Thanks Cam. He was playing great in that 4th quarter and then he gives away the game. :#

On a side note,I’m really liking Damian Harris the more I see him play hopefully they keep feeding him more carries.

are you sure Cam gave it away? That retarded onside kick and the defense forgetting how to tackle might have played a part

There are a lot of reasons we lost.
    I was really enjoying that final, until, ...

edited November 1, 2020 2:32PM

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

are you sure Cam gave it away? That retarded onside kick and the defense forgetting how to tackle might have played a part

They still had a chance to tie the game with a FG despite all of that. I get going for the win but Cam should know to put two* hands on the ball in that situation. I was surprised he didn’t cough it up on that previous run he made where he had his arm out swinging the ball all over before getting tackled.

still blaming coaching for 3 of the 4 losses . We now know it was 80% Brady and 20% bill

They have 5 losses and we’ve known that last part for years now.

Cam and the Patriots played well today. They would have beat a lot of teams. They made the adjustments in the 4th quarter and might have scored to go ahead.
    Buffalo made the same mistakes an average team makes. Dropped the go ahead touchdown in the end zone and settled for 3. I was extremely happy to see them run the ball. Allen was near perfect. The pic he threw wasn’t his fault. If Diggs runs the slant instead of stopping he’s still running. Buffalo was well coached on the onside kick. A lot of teams would have bailed out to block. Very sharply played game on both sides and I’m glad the Bills finally came out on top. Patriots fans have nothing to be ashamed of after today but with Buffalo at 6-2 and Miami at 4-3, ( what friggin voodoo for Tua? 2 fumble recovery TD’s and a punt return. Offense had 9 punts, 9 first downs and 7 points) the Patriots at 2-5 are almost assured to have a long battle ahead.

W.C.Fields

Tom Brady has a big grin in his face after yesterday’s game lol

It looks like the Patriots will finish third in the division this year. Nothing can save the Jets from the cellar.

@BillJones said:
    It looks like the Patriots will finish third in the division this year. Nothing can save the Jets from the cellar.

The times are certainly different huh!

@BillJones said:

I would not count the Pats out in the race to the bottom yet!

This year has a lot of good QBs in the draft, but I will keep an open mind. But they need to have a very good draft the next two years. Bill always does well plugging in free agents in my opinion. But he needs to hit on his high draft picks. Cam would need to master a better throwing motion and not revert to old mechanics under pressure to be the QB we need him to be. It's not impossible, I guess. :D Will a situation arise such as Cowboys franchising Dak then trading him? Is Bill looking for that type of scenario over a rookie ? I don't know.

We might find out next Monday night when the Patriots and Jets meet head to head.

@BillJones said:

We might find out next Monday night when the Patriots and Jets meet head to head.

the patriots can just throw both games against the jets and lock up number 1

Apparently we are looking at over 60 million in cap space next year.

Would you guys welcome Jimmy G back? We will probably send a couple picks like a 1 & 2 for him just so the train robbery can come full circle lol

@perkdog said:
    Apparently we are looking at over 60 million in cap space next year.

bill will give it all to jimmy G ! then he will get hurt in game 2 and when asked bill will say , "no one could have anticipated it" "hoyer is our guy"

edited November 5, 2020 8:36AM

@perkdog said:
    Would you guys welcome Jimmy G back? We will probably send a couple picks like a 1 & 2 for him just so the train robbery can come full circle lol

Just a 1 & 2? Bringing back Garoppolo would be BB’s wet dream he’d probably give up an entire draft class of picks.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=imceVoNRqP8&t=3s

Assuming a JG trade would likely happen in the offseason he’d then have two years left on his contract at 26M & 27M. I wouldn’t want to see BB give up a 1st for him but a 2nd or 3rd,I think I’d take that chance. With that much cap tied up in their starting QB Bill would probably go with a development QB as backup like he did for many years behind Brady. Only problem then would be this offense would need a major makeover at the skills positions.

@erikthredd said:
    Assuming a JG trade would likely happen in the offseason he’d then have two years left on his contract at 26M & 27M. I wouldn’t want to see BB give up a 1st for him but a 2nd or 3rd,I think I’d take that chance. With that much cap tied up in their starting QB Bill would probably go with a development QB as backup like he did for many years behind Brady. Only problem then would be this offense would need a major makeover at the skills positions.

can you imagine a world where a gm is happy to pay jimmy fra-gee-lee 27 million but not pay a guy that won 6 super bowls 25 million?

edited November 5, 2020 12:40PM

Nobody wants Jimmy G. Not even the 49ers. If you asked me he’s played his last game for them. The greatest ability is availability.

W.C.Fields

Everything I hear tells me that SF has to dumb down the playbook for Jimmy.

I went into into this season seeing McDaniels as a guy who doesn't adapt. I thought he started the year strong, but has regressed. So I have no faith in him making it work with the Italian Ice.

.....not even mentioning that he's made out of sugar and paper and a lot of NE home games are played in the winter elements.

when i say fra-gee-lee just so you know , I'm saying it like the dad on a christmas story talking about that sexy lamp

@bronco2078 said:
    when i say fra-gee-lee just so you know , I'm saying it like the dad on a christmas story talking about that sexy lamp

https://youtu.be/lR29zxrY2LM

I watched every play from Sunday’s Bills-Patriots game. NE didn’t look like a team tanking. They had a good game plan. The wind was swirling and gusting to 30 MPH. The little Cam threw he looked just fine. Besides the Seattle game I thought this was his best game. Maybe it was Covid and his recovery that made him look bad. If it wasn’t for his fumble NE was driving for a TD. The ball was punched out. It happens. I knew it was going to be a tough division game as always. Cam has nothing to be ashamed of with that performance.

W.C.Fields

i agree Cam looked better . I think the idiots threw out the part of the playbook he was good at for 3 games and had to go back to it.

Why they feel this offense is so precious is beyond me. It worked for Tom Brady but he was in it for 20 years and is the GOAT. Why they thought they could dump other QB's into it to sink or swim is baffling.

What is the point of an offense anyway? Score points with the personnel on the field . Bunch of newbie pass catchers and a QB that is new to it so they need to dumb it down get some results and get the guys confident and making plays

Its like you send a kid to school in the first grade and they want him to know calculus on day one. Then he doesn't so they tell him its because he is stupid. :D

Bill is a deeply flawed person who should be in therapy and Josh is no better.

Josh thought tim tebow was the wave of the future :D

To be fair Josh wanted lamar jackson but bill said no and took ummmm nobody i guess

Was the salary commensurate with the position/experience?

@thisistheshow said:
    Was the salary commensurate with the position/experience?

I have no clue I just thought bronco would find it a good reason to go off on BB again. ;)

well actually, there are things crookeder than bill and most of them involve college football

they just didn't want to pay the guy because they are stupid

isn't retard notre dame still paying bills fat buddy a decade after he is not there? :D

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

In honor of the upcoming Patriots vs Jets game, let's take a little trip down memory lane, a dogfight between the Patriots and Jets back in 97'.

Ah yes, the Tuna Bowl.