Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Clubs, Numismatic medals and dealers tokens

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just arrived today. Another addition to the Colorado Springs Coin Club Medals I posted above. In addition to the copper and brass, satin and proof medals above, I just received the silver proof medal with the Pike's Peak Liberty gold gilded.

2012 Colorado Springs Coin Club 50th Anniversary (silver proof, gold gild) - mintage 96

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

The design and details of this one really spoke to me.

I couldn't resist. Hope to get it by early next week.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there a mughal empire in Otis Indiana? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

These two recent acquisitions struck me for their design elements of containing a "Coin on a coin."

This theme seems fairly popular with coin club and numismatic medals and tokens.

I was smitten by the design elegance and surviving condition of this 46 year old ANA Coin Week medal from 1974. It finally arrived allowing me to take my own photos.

Then there is the whimsical 2004 ANA campaign token from Donald H. Kagan.

Yes, I am Exonumia smitten . . . .

Z

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maui Coin Club, Hawaii

The silver MCC issues in my collection

https://youtu.be/yPs3hd6k3nc

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    My favorite of the ANA Convention medals is the Aug. 1977 Atlanta, GA due to the Dahlonega Mint building on the reverse. Mine is #158. Does anyone know the maximum number issued? Does anyone have this type of set for this or other years? Thanks in advance for the help.

• Tim

I too like this set very much along with a few other years I would love to obtain.
    I wish I could help with the mintage but......I would like to find out as well. Maybe someone can answer this question and a few other questions I have such as........white is there different color holders for the same year and medals?
    Ive seen black and white holders.....whats the difference. I've also seen blue?

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same die sinker:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 11:48AM

The tokens in the last two posts are made by Jesse Patrick. He has a very impressive catalog. It would be quite an undertaking to collect all his work! Here’s his catalog:

http://www.patrickmint.com/website.pdf

• Options

My completed silver Maui Coin Club medals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPs3hd6k3nc
  • Options

@coinsarefun said:
    Not sure which wallpaper I like #1 or #2 Any comments?

I vote #2.

Z

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of Cline's..

It sure feels & look like silver.

Anyone know for sure?
    \

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

I have one of Cline's..

Anyone know for sure?
    \

Mine is not silver

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:

@Treashunt said:

I have one of Cline's..

Anyone know for sure?
    \

Mine is not silver

Then I guess mine is not, also.

Does yours have a reeded edge?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Twobitcollector ,

I would love a bit more information on the two items pictured below. Is one of these "Cline's" as you mention above.

I can see a new bloodhound search starting in my world . . . . .

BTW, I have a TON of new items to post up in this thread, some I have already received, some I am waiting on. I just need work to slow down enough for me to do a photo shoot on those already here . . . . . .

Z

• Options

Never mind, I get it. I missed the fact that the first four images are the obverse and the next four were the reverse.

I seem to get thicker in the head with passing time . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 9:05AM

• Options

@cardinal said:

That's astounding . . . . !

Z

• Options

@cardinal said:

Wow! I’ve never seen that one before! It’s great it’s from QDB and from the year 2000!

• Options
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cincinnati Numismatic Association 90th anniversary medal set just arrived today. Osborne minting here in town struck them for us.

Copper examples are available for sale to non-members for $10 delivered. PM me if interested.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

Since Levick and Robinson were coin dealers and had a major impact on collecting I think they should be included.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 10:18PM

@BustDMs said:

Cincinnati Numismatic Association 90th anniversary medal set just arrived today. Osborne minting here in town struck them for us.

Copper examples are available for sale to non-members for $10 delivered. PM me if interested.

Great medals! It's really nice to honor the founding of the club and the first medal.

Are any being struck in gold this year like the original 1930 issue? Are the mintages set?

My original silver medal is below. It’s just one of 25 struck. I wonder how many of these are left? I've never seen another offered in any composition and am glad I was able to pick it up.

Here's the history of the medal from the club website:

At the December 8, 1930, meeting of the CNA, a committee was named by Herbert Brand composed of William L. Doepke, William J. Schultz, and Walter J. Boebinger to create a design emblematic of Cincinnati for the CNA token, which was planned to be distributed to the visiting delegates as a memento. These tokens were to be struck in silver for founding members and gold for life members.

The design created by the committee and adopted by the CNA was characteristic of Cincinnati. The center of the design has the well known Tyler-Davidson Fountain, which stands in the center of the city. Surrounding this is "Cincinnati Numismatic Assn. 1930." This design has been reproduced on the letterhead of the CNA every year since.

The obverse of the token or medals had this design and the reverse had "One Itannicnic" (Cincinnati spelled backward) with two palm branches and space for engraving name and number. Five pure gold, twenty-five pure silver, and three hundred copper pieces were struck. The gold medals were for life members and cost $100, the silver were for the founders and cost $10, and the copper were for members at $1. The dies were made and the medals struck by the Gregg Wright & Sons Company from metal furnished by CNA member and owner of Cincinnati Gold and Silver Refining Company, William H. Schwarz.

http://www.cincycoinclub.org/history.htm

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Here is an example of the Civil War token. It is a rare one.

Great tokens Bill!

Here's mine in silver which seems to be the most popular composition!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@BustDMs said:

Great medals! It's really nice to honor the founding of the club and the first medal.

Are any being struck in gold this year like the original 1930 issue? Are the mintages set?

My original silver medal is below. It’s just one of 25 struck. I wonder how many of these are left? I've never seen another offered in any composition and am glad I was able to pick it up.

At the December 8, 1930, meeting of the CNA, a committee was named by Herbert Brand composed of William L. Doepke, William J. Schultz, and Walter J. Boebinger to create a design emblematic of Cincinnati for the CNA token, which was planned to be distributed to the visiting delegates as a memento. These tokens were to be struck in silver for founding members and gold for life members.

The design created by the committee and adopted by the CNA was characteristic of Cincinnati. The center of the design has the well known Tyler-Davidson Fountain, which stands in the center of the city. Surrounding this is "Cincinnati Numismatic Assn. 1930." This design has been reproduced on the letterhead of the CNA every year since.

The obverse of the token or medals had this design and the reverse had "One Itannicnic" (Cincinnati spelled backward) with two palm branches and space for engraving name and number. Five pure gold, twenty-five pure silver, and three hundred copper pieces were struck. The gold medals were for life members and cost $100, the silver were for the founders and cost $10, and the copper were for members at $1. The dies were made and the medals struck by the Gregg Wright & Sons Company from metal furnished by CNA member and owner of Cincinnati Gold and Silver Refining Company, William H. Schwarz.

No gold for the 90th. Maybe for the 100th.

Silver were limited to pre orders from members only. Less than 50 but don’t know final figure yet. The president was in charge of the orders.

The copper will be available for sale at $10 postpaid to anyone interested and to give away to people providing service to the club. I think we did 200. Again El Presidente will have to confirm the number.

There are numerous members of the club who own at least one original silver medal. The most desirable ones are engraved with the members name. They usually don’t come to market outside the club.

Hope this helps a little.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@BustDMs said:

@Zoins said:

@BustDMs said:

Silver were limited to pre orders from members only. Less than 50 but don’t know final figure yet. The president was in charge of the orders.

The copper will be available for sale at $10 postpaid to anyone interested and to give away to people providing service to the club. I think we did 200. Again El Presidente will have to confirm the number.

There are numerous members of the club who own at least one original silver medal. The most desirable ones are engraved with the members name. They usually don’t come to market outside the club.

Good to know. Are the 2020 medals engraved with member names?

Do you know if any of the original 1930 gold medals are known now? It would be awesome to see a photo!

• Options

2017 Denver ANA World's Fair of Money Exhibit Award. Class 17 is Numismatic Literature. I still have not
    got the medal engraved with my name.

• Options

@DrDarryl said:
    2017 Denver ANA World's Fair of Money Exhibit Award. Class 17 is Numismatic Literature. I still have not

Congrats! Awesome accomplishment. It's nice to be recognized.

How does engraving on that work? Do you find any engraver and do it yourself? Or do you send to the ANA and they have the engraving done?

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 7:52PM

Mr_Spud

• Options

@Zoins said:

@BustDMs said:

@Zoins said:

@BustDMs said:

Good to know. Are the 2020 medals engraved with member names?

Do you know if any of the original 1930 gold medals are known now? It would be awesome to see a photo!

The silver medals are engraved.

There are at least two 1930 golds known. I do not have a photo, sorry.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2020 4:40PM

This one from Matt Dinger of Lost Duchman Rare Coins just sold. It looks like it was made by Jesse Patrick.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2020 6:11PM

I picked this one up from Ron. I saw in one of the threads an image of the edge of the coin.
    Can someone give me a link or post it here please?

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect them but will pick one up if it interests me. This one I picked up because I was living outside of Flint at the time and liked the design that encompassed the GM facilities that were operating in town. Pretty much all but Chevy is gone now (I worked at AC Spark Plug, now a vacant field). I was never a member of the club. I also have one of these in silver floating around somewhere.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrDarryl said:

Congratulations - a very difficult class for exhibits! I was disappointed that the ANA only engraved the class, prize and convention info. I had thought they might include my name or title of the exhibit. Class 5 is Tokens.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    The tokens in the last two posts are made by Jesse Patrick. He has a very impressive catalog. It would be quite an undertaking to collect all his work! Here’s his catalog:

http://www.patrickmint.com/website.pdf

After you had posted that link, I started doing some poking around and ran across the token below. It's shown on page #7 of the catalog. It's a bit of a restrike and store card in one.

I reached out to Jesse Patrick to inquire about a few additional pieces of his. Here is the reply I received from my inquiry.

I didn't know if this was public knowledge or not. What a huge loss to the numismatic community.

Z

• Options

The token above is now listed in the Token Catalog site. It is TC# 596703.

http://tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&td_id=596703&inventory_id=698778&td_image_id=506779&attribution_id=619364&record_offset=0

My first submission. Woo Hoo!

Z

• Options

And I picked this one up just because I liked the design. Nothing special about it I'm sure.

Z

• Options
    edited December 3, 2020 9:34AM

@coinsarefun said:
    I have one from Mansfield. I grew up in Cleveland.

Dang, I like that one WAY better.

The one I have just documents the Spring Show in 1969 and has the Penn / Ohio logo on it. I need to get a photo of the reverse.

Z

• Options

This one is a bit of a "sleeper" . . . . . . a Daniel Carr sleeper.

A 2011 Royal Canadian Numismatic Association convention medal, minted by Daniel Carr. It's feature about half way down this page.

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_medals_club_B.htm

Enjoy (sorry for the crappy photos, I've got to retake them).

Z

• Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

1977 ANA Convention Atlanta. Inexpensive pieces, size of a silver round. First two are bronze and the last one is gold anodized aluminum He was a New Orleans artist H. Alvin Sharpe, father of the Mardi Gras doubloon......a very interesting guy to say the least
    One link to some info on him
    Another link to Anola for info

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file