Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Clubs, Numismatic medals and dealers tokens

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SF_numismatics said:
    Turns out this was the fifth and final CSNA symposium hosted by PCNS. It was then taken over by the Vallejo Numismatic Society. And now is joint with the NCNA. Northern California Numismatic Association.

Thanks for that information and a big welcome to the forum.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

I've purchased a few. I'll send you a PM.

This is what I have done with a couple of them.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@coinsarefun

I thought this set was quite fetching. Got a pretty good deal on it too.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

This isn't really a coin or numismatic set, but I had to have it when I saw it.

Phenomenal condition for its age. Still in its original case.

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    @coinsarefun

I thought this set was quite fetching. Got a pretty good deal on it too.

Z

I’ve been looking at those sets for some time know and haven’t had a good deal pop up yet.
    Nice set !!

• Options

Got this one very close to melt.

The black marks on Liberty are shiny spots that are reflecting the light off axis to the camera lens.

Z

• Options

I like that one very much. I’ve been looking for one but I haven’t been able to find one priced right.
    I did however negotiate with a seller for 4 different ANA year sets. I’ll post when I get them.

• Options

There is an interesting piece.

Thematically it has two images that I find intriguing on coins / medals / tokens - trains and beehives . . . . .

Z

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    Nice! And your pics are getting pretty dog gone good

I have a long way to go . . . .

What is the name of the image manipulation software that you reccomend?

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@coinsarefun said:
    Nice! And your pics are getting pretty dog gone good

I have a long way to go . . . .

What is the name of the image manipulation software that you reccomend?

Z

PhotoScape X

• Options
    edited December 8, 2021 11:12AM

Possible predecessor to WRNC's counter-stamped 75th Anniversary coins?

I ran across and picked up another "Western Reserve" type counter-stamped coin the other day. It is from a local numismatics club, the Metropolitan Coin Club of Atlanta.

If you ask me, this Kennedy half with the small 1994 dated counter-stamp bears all the hallmarks of being a Ron Landis / Joe Rust / GMM piece, but predates the Western Reserve version by a couple of years.

Could this be an example that lead to the Western Reserve Numismatic Club's selection of Landis / GMM to counter-stamp their 75th Anniversary pieces in 1996?

This is the only example I have seen.

Z

@Zoins @coinsarefun

• Options

I just may have to join that club. I just discovered that Bill Fivaz is on the board of directors and is a member.

Z

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@coinsarefun

I ran across this little merchant token from your home town and had to pick it up.

Dated 1942, it comes from an important time in our country's history. The obverse has a modern look to it while the reverse looks and feels much older.

I haven't done any Googling on the Federal Coin Exchange or the address yet. A search through Tokencatalog.com I found a similar but more recent looking piece with a slightly different address.

Do you know anything about this business or the Arcade referenced?

Z

• Options

No I don't but, sure wish I did. The only thing I remember is Pearl Rd.
    I really like that one!

@ZoidMeister said:
    @coinsarefun

I ran across this little merchant token from your home town and had to pick it up.

Dated 1942, it comes from an important time in our country's history. The obverse has a modern look to it while the reverse looks and feels much older.

I haven't done any Googling on the Federal Coin Exchange or the address yet. A search through Tokencatalog.com I found a similar but more recent looking piece with a slightly different address.

Do you know anything about this business or the Arcade referenced?

• Options
    edited December 10, 2021 8:34PM

I picked up a mini run of ANA Medals.
    1999 ANA not numbered Silver & Bronze

2000 ANA Silver & Bronze #79/200

2001 ANA Silver & Bronze #30/150

2002 NY ANA Silver & Bronze #72 but not sure the mintages

• Options

I'm liking those 1999 and 2001 sets.

I've got something interesting related to the 2001 issue if the Post Office can do its job.

Z

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    I picked up a mini run of ANA Medals.

2001 ANA Silver & Bronze #30/150

This pairs nicely with the 2001 set.

By Ron Landis / GMM.

Z

• Options

Gotta Start out the new year with a 2015 ANA Portlandia Silver & Copper proof set and for almost the original price ain't all that bad! And 200 silver mintage is pretty good too.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

>

Curious... what did they grade or how did NGC grade this counterstamp?

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Yeah baby . . . !

Z

@coinsarefun said:
    Gotta Start out the new year with a 2015 ANA Portlandia Silver & Copper proof set and for almost the original price ain't all that bad! And 200 silver mintage is pretty good too.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Odessa Coin Club 1970, .999 from Lombardo Mint in Canada. Odessa has a population of 910, the club has not been active for many years. I went through Odessa in 1993 after running Bloomsday, nice town.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

• Options

I've waited a very long time for these next 2 ANA sets. Very happy when they arrived.

1969 ANA Set

1947 ANA set, mintage 50 sets

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    I've waited a very long time for these next 2 ANA sets. Very happy when they arrived.

1969 ANA Set

1947 ANA set, mintage 50 sets

That is really nice. What a great pick-up!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Not NGC graded. Just in a self slab holder. The contrast against the white background makes for better photos.

Z

@sedulous said:

@ZoidMeister said:

>

Curious... what did they grade or how did NGC grade this counterstamp?

• Options

A couple of ANA 100th Anniversary Commemorative silver medals by foreign mints.

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    A couple of ANA 100th Anniversary Commemorative silver medals by foreign mints.

Z

I’ve been trying for one of those and keep getting out bid.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

my meager collection is the presidents' medals of the NY Numismatic Club. I only have two, wish I could find more. They are not expensive (less than 100 bucks usually), just don't come up for sale in my part of the USA

Most recent medal image posted below

• Options

P.C.N.S 800th Meeting Medal

A nice pocket carried example. Doing the math, if meetings were monthly, that puts the commemoration of this particular meeting at 66.6 years, or squarely towards the end of 1982.

I'm curious as to the significance of 66.6 years?

I'm even more curious as to how many total members there were in 1982 and if one medal was struck for every member or just one per attendee?

Does anyone know if the club still exists and minted a similar commemorating 1,000 meetings in 1998?

This medal must have been originally owned by an attendees who was proud of having attended given its apparent pocket time.

Z

• Options

1947 Rochester Numismatic Association 35th Anniversary Commemorative

The Rochester Numismatic Association has put out a few commemorative medals that were less than inspiring, but this early strike isn't one of those.

Engraved by Alphonse A. Kolb for the RNA.

The RNA was organized in 1912 by a group of local collectors to attract the American Numismatic Association's annual convention to Rochester, New York, USA. They met with success as the ANA did hold their convention in Rochester. The RNA has met continuously since 1912. Only one local coin club, the Boston Numismatic Society, founded in 1860, has a longer record of continuous meetings.

On the reverse one can see RNA's designation as Branch #2 of the A.N.A. I am particularly partial to the prominent reverse die cracks on this medal.

Enjoy.

Z

• Options

Something new 😉

• Options
    edited February 27, 2022 4:39PM

And this one. Acetone?

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    And this one. Acetone?

Acetone won't hurt it, but probably won't help much either.

Soak it in Acetone an give it a nice coat of heavy mineral oil. That will give you about as much improvement as possible.

Z

• Options

Thank you.

• Options

• Options

Worthy of double posting.

Another elusive Ron Landis work that found it's way to me.

Z

• Options

This one is a bit older than I am. I wish I looked this good . . . . .

Z

• Options

My oldest son was born in 1973 😉
    This one looks pretty good. What say you?
    ( it will be his first medal, he’s a collector and role model for grandson , who’s a YN !!

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2022 1:27PM

I finally found one of these. I always felt there should be something else in the blank spaces between or above the wreaths below Cleveland, or below in the space with the line on the bottom. Reminds a me little of a Standing Liberty quarter without the date below the line.

• Options

Finally got photos of this one.

I thought it might be cool being a member of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory Numismatic Society . . . . . .

Z

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    I finally found one of these. I always felt there should be something else in the blank spaces between or above the wreaths below Cleveland, or below in the space with the line on the bottom. Reminds a me little of a Standing Liberty quarter without the date below the line.

I’m fairly certain it came from the original medal designed for Cleveland

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:

@Goldminers said:

Thanks, that's it! Interesting that Robert chose not to include the survey instrument, and over time the name changed. Also, now I understand the significance of the Western Reserve on the coin club medal.

From Wiki:

"Moses Cleaveland was an American lawyer, politician, soldier, and surveyor from Connecticut who founded the city of Cleveland, Ohio, while surveying the Connecticut Western Reserve in 1796. During the American Revolution, Cleaveland was the brigadier general of the Connecticut militia."

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@coinsarefun said:

@Goldminers said:

Thanks, that's it! Interesting that Robert chose not to include the survey instrument, and over time the name changed. Also, now I understand the significance of the Western Reserve on the coin club medal.

From Wiki:

"Moses Cleaveland was an American lawyer, politician, soldier, and surveyor from Connecticut who founded the city of Cleveland, Ohio, while surveying the Connecticut Western Reserve in 1796. During the American Revolution, Cleaveland was the brigadier general of the Connecticut militia."

>

Growining up in Cleveland when I was young, my dad was a general contractor and he was remodeling the plain dealer.
    I was with him because I like going on the jobs with him. We were introduced to the president of Western Reserve . Neither my father or I was remotely interested in coins. So, our meeting was brief. How I wish I could walk the clock back and have interest back then…….it would have been super cool.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the PNNA show is coming up, here are a few from Tukwila past

2003 including gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file