Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Clubs, Numismatic medals and dealers tokens

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

1965 Abraham Lincoln, Central States Numismatic Society Convention.
    I started out running across this copper plaque Signed Kofink Unc Obv Bust.

Then I ran into an aluminum plaque of Lincoln by J. Henri Ripstra.
    Same design.....so I started searching and found out that in 1965 CSNS created sets (various I think) pictured below.

This is a set I found on Google.......I need to find a complete one!.....Or just the Silver plaque.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2020 6:27PM

@Zoins said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Peninsula Coin Club medal Barbie Hall of Fame
    [...]
    The Barbie Hall of Fame museum of Palo Alto closed in 1999.

I wonder if the owners were coin collectors and members of the Peninsula Coin Club.

No, the owner of the Barbie Hall of Fame museum was not a member of the PCC.

Contact info for the club is available here. Their meetings are at the J.L.S. School, Classroom 140 in Palo Alto. I wonder if they have a good YN program there.

https://www.smc-connect.org/locations/peninsula-coin-club

There is a youth prize at the meetings.
    I used to bring my young daughter or son with me, and they liked the prizes.

More on the PCC medals, from when I was more active in the club:

Medals (annual)

Every year we produce a new medal, in silver (for prepaid orders), and in bronze (quantity 500-1000, for use with raffle tickets at our Coin Show, and for sale anytime). Silver medals can be ordered by the general public until the end of April, for $20 plus $3.50 insured shipping. Delivery is in June/July.
    In 2000, we minted 15 extra silver medals, for sale to the general public ($20 + $3.50 shipping). 14 are still available as of 2/12/01.

Medals the club has produced

2005: Half Moon Bay - first community with wireless internet access
    2004: 50 year anniversary of the Peninsula Coin Club
    2003: Maverick's (world's largest waves)
    2002: San Francisco Mint 'granite lady'
    2001: Think Tank (light bulb)
    2000: E Commerce
    1999: Flying Cloud (1849 sailing ship)
    1998: Hiller Aviation Museum
    1997: David Packard
    1996: Barbie Hall of Fame
    1995: Jeremiah O'Brien - Liberty Ship
    1994: Palo Alto Centennial / Museum (old bicycle)
    1993: Palo Alto Times
    1992: P-3 "Orion"
    1991: Filling San Francisco Bay
    1990: El Palo Alto
    1989: George Washington
    1988: Locomotive
    1987: Early Palo Alto
    1986: Gateways to Freedom
    1985: U.S.S. Macon (dirigible, Moffet Field)
    1984: Stanford Stadium

The reverse design is the club logo.

Wooden Nickels:

1981: 2nd annual coin show
    1980: 1st annual coin show

I could post photos of most of these if there is interest.

Annual Medal Schedule

January: design rules in Bulletin, designs due at meeting.
    February: approved designs published in Bulletin, vote on designs at meeting.
    April: deadline for ordering silver medals (usually $20 for club members; 10% more, prepaid, for non-club members). Sample strike available.
    June/July: medals available.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 1:43PM

A couple interesting club medals that came in recently.

I think I'm catching up to @Zoins . . . . a little.

Z

Liberty Seated Collectors Club (by Daniel Carr)

So-Called Dollar 3rd Annual Gathering Medals (by Jeff Shevlin / Daniel Carr)

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone is interested I have a bunch of various ones from Westchester County Coin Club various dates The WCCC was responsible for the New Rochelle 1/2 dollar. Just pm me anytime

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud Awesome 1957 Charlotte Coin Club medal! Very interesting is that the club was also formed in 1957. I wonder if they specifically waited for for a year that ended in 7?

I wonder if there's any background known on this now.

Here's a link to the club:

http://www.charlottecoinclub.org/

• Options

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    If anyone is interested I have a bunch of various ones from Westchester County Coin Club various dates The WCCC was responsible for the New Rochelle 1/2 dollar. Just pm me anytime

The Westchester County Coin Club makes some great medals and I have a number of them. Two were even made by Dan Carr :)

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    @Mr_Spud Awesome 1957 Charlotte Coin Club medal! Very interesting is that the club was also formed in 1957. I wonder if they specifically waited for for a year that ended in 7?

I wonder if there's any background known on this now.

Here's a link to the club:

http://www.charlottecoinclub.org/

If you mean they deliberately waited for the year to end in 7 to start the club so it matched the 7 that was when the Charlotte mint first opened in 1837, then I don’t think so. That would just be a coincidence. But if you mean something else, let me know and I can probably find out. It’s funny looking at the club website, me and Mrs_Spud helped put up that site back in 2007. Mrs_Spud was an officer in the club. it’s funny to me to see the cutout gold portrait logo and some of the other stuff, because that’s just what I recycled from when Shylock (a photoshop whiz that used to post a lot on this very PCGS coin forum) used to do photo editing challenges challenging us to figure out how to make cutouts from coins and all kinds of other tricky coin edits. I didn’t know how to use photoshop, but I was able to keep up with the challenges using Picture-it 99 which is a photo editor basically designed for kids.

Mr_Spud

• Options

A couple of Dan Carr's numismatics pieces that recently came in. I'm having a difficult time getting clear photos of these for some reason. (Crappy camera no doubt.)

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    Those Canadian tokens are @ZoidMeister . I had no idea DC made those.

There are quite a few "sleepers" in Dan's portfolio.

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_medals_club_B.htm

Z

• Options

I have @Zoins to "thank" for starting me down yet another rabbit hole to find these. He posted in another thread (I belive) about the Gobrecht medals produced by the Hanover Numismatic Society, and that just set off my inner search hound (squirrel, squirrel!).

Z

Bronze and silver 1966 / 1967 strikes

• Options

And I picked these up (I'm chronic) because I liked the castle on the obverses and the "coin on a coin" theme on the reverses.

These need a little acetone bath to get the fingerprints off of them.

Z

Southern California Coin Club medals

• Options

Here is an interesting PCNS Medal. It doesn't have the reverse. I don't remember why this was done. Maybe for a meeting award? But the award dint't happen. I remember seeing some with a members name on it. I guess I need to look it up again on the internet and see why this one is blank.

I posted these earlier but for reference only......I still need the rarer versions

• Options

I was fortunate to pick up a few fetching and compelling convention attendance medals issued by The Metropolitan New York Numismatic Society.

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    A couple of Dan Carr's numismatics pieces that recently came in. I'm having a difficult time getting clear photos of these for some reason. (Crappy camera no doubt.)

Z

And reminiscent of the Dan Carr created Royal Canadian Numismatic Association, here is a 1993 RCNA Convention medal I picked up recently honoring the Moncton Coin Club . . . . .

Z

• Options

A couple new ones I acquired . . . . .

Z

• Options
    edited January 13, 2021 8:24PM

Not sure why I haven't posted these yet but will do now.
    1988 Worthy Coin Co.
    There are two rainbow-toned examples in copper, plus one each in aluminum, copper with a silver center, silver, and one overstruck on an 1891-O Morgan silver dollar.

• Options

I just got finished imaging a few annual medals issued by the Boeing Employee's Coin Club.

I picked these up as they meld a variety of concepts I like. Exonumia, aviation, and exceptional coin designs . . . . . .

Enjoy.

Z

The Obverse's

Most of the Reverse's look like this . . . . . .

• Options

Here's one from the PNNA made from a Ron Landis die!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just snagged this Earl Schill Rare Coin Dealer from Detroit Michigan Store Card struck on a silver planchet. In silver this is only the second example I've even seen and far betters the other which was circulated and stained. A vague facsimile of Augustus Saint-Gaudens $10 Indian and approximately the same diameter with a phoenix instead of eagle as his shop also sold Native American artifacts. Dated 1962-S with a mint mark as a nice design addition. Earl Schill's provenance at times appears within auction descriptions of major early silver and gold coinage. He was a contributor to the first and following editions of the Redbook and also involved with the distribution of Early Commemoratives.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2021 8:58AM

@Broadstruck said:
    I just snagged this Earl Schill Rare Coin Dealer from Detroit Michigan Store Card struck on a silver planchet. In silver this is only the second example I've even seen and far betters the other which was circulated and stained. A vague facsimile of Augustus Saint-Gaudens $10 Indian and approximately the same diameter with a phoenix instead of eagle as his shop also sold Native American artifacts. Dated 1962-S with a mint mark as a nice design addition. Earl Schill's provenance at times appears within auction descriptions of major early silver and gold coinage. He was a contributor to the first and following editions of the Redbook and also involved with the distribution of Early Commemoratives.

What a wonderful looking token! It's great to find such a rare piece. I love the phoenix and horizontal lines.

I did some quick Google searches and found a couple of interesting things. The first is E-Sylum quotes @CaptHenway mentioning his visits Earl's store back on November 21, 2004:

https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v07n47a08.html

@CaptHenway said:

I too used to visit the coin department at Hudson's when I was a student at Wayne State University in Detroit. In pleasant weather I would walk down Woodward Avenue after classes and visit used book stores along the way, drop in at Hudson's and Earl Shill's store behind them, and then catch the Plymouth Rd. express bus home.

One day I found a pristine first edition Redbook at one of the used book stores for 75 cents. I think it was the original price it had sold for in 1946, and the used book dealer simply resold it at that. When I got to Hudson's I showed the guy behind the counter my find, and he generously offered to double my money. I declined."

I also found what looks to be another silver specimen, along with a bronze, that CoinPeople.com member Circus posted back on Nov 7-8, 2016:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=269909&whichpage=3

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021 8:56AM

@Zoins said:

What a wonderful looking token! It's great to find such a rare piece. I love the phoenix and horizontal lines.

I also found what looks to be another silver specimen, along with a bronze, from CoinPeople.com member Circus posted back on Nov 7-8, 2016:

Thanks Zoins! :)

The bronze examples are far more common and seem to have been struck and distributed in greater numbers. It's pretty safe to assume that a quantity of 25 or more of the silver had been struck. Not sure if they got melted or are just floating around in junk drawers not deemed important enough to list on eBay?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Schill was a fine old gentleman. If he was not busy he would show me coins he knew that I, as a college student, could not afford.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Royal Hawaiian Mint reused its dies. Here is an example where the obverse die is worn.

• Options

A progression set of the Official Hawaii Statehood bronze medals in my Hawaiiana collection. Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog 2nd Edition, by Medcalf and Russell, states that "About 30 sets for display purposes in bronze were issued..."

• Options

Undocumented error. Gold dies were used to strike this silver medal to commemorate the total eclipse of the sun, 1991 Hawaii. Struck by the Honolulu Mint for Bishop Museum.

• Options

National Organization For The Repeal Of The Federal Reserve Act (NORFED): The 1998 Silver Liberty used the design elements from two Royal Hawaiian Mint (previously known as The Hawaiian Mint). Images taken from my website.

• Options

It took me some time to trace the origins of this Hawaii related medal.

Listed as K110 in the book, The Faces of Captain Cook, A Numismatic Memoir Compiled by Allan Klenman (a very hard book to locate, but I did secure a copy!). Medals and coins related to Captain James Cook up to the year 1983 are cataloged.

• Options
  • Options

@coinsarefun said:
    @DrDarryl thanks for posting so many interesting items! I even browsed through your website.
    A lot of interesting items.

Hawaii numismatics is not bounded by the King Kalakaua coinage, Reginald Huth medals, the Hawaii sesquicentennial US commemorative half dollar, nor the "HAWAII" overprint US currency. It covers a broad area of numismatics.

• Options

Here's a numismatic medal I consider a bit of a "mule" . . . . . .

Commemorating two different numismatic associations, but no "event," on the same medal.

The obverse (I think) is commemorating the Racine Numismatic Society. The revers commemorates Numismatists of Wisconsin. One founded in 1938, the other in 1960. Medal "dated" 1973.

I picked this one up because it reminded me of the HK-573 Oregon Centennial "Beaver Dollar".

I hope you like it as much as I did.

Z

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was issued for the 1973 yearly NOW (Numismatists Of Wisconsin) Coin Show which was hosted that year by the Racine Numismatic Society. The show moves around the state and the host club issues a show medal using the stock NOW die as the reverse. The medal is usually issued in several different metals; some of the early issues were struck over Morgan & Peace $1 for the fun of it.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

The largest collection of dealer tokens, numbering about 8,000 pieces, is cataloged here -- https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/528986.

• Options
    edited February 24, 2021 3:47PM

1977 ANA 86th Anv. Atlanta GA Convention Official 3 Medal set # 425
    Total mintage 710 sets. Silver & Bronze.

I thought to add a close up to this set as the obverse is just beautiful and the reverse is the Dahlonega Mint.

• Options
    edited February 24, 2021 4:24PM

@coinsarefun said:

I thought to add a close up to this set as the obverse is just beautiful and the reverse is the Dahlonega Mint.

That is my absolute favorite ANA medal set. I've been looking for a set on and off for a while now.

A true thing of beauty.

Z

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some very cool tokens on this thread!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@coinsarefun said:

@coinsarefun ,

I had to go searching for this one, but truth be told, I DID find one on a ribbon . . . . .

Z

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin club stuff- encased quarters and wooden nickels...

• Options

Keeping this thread from getting too stale . . .

Found another I couldn't live without . . .

This one checks a lot of boxes for me. @Twobitcollector , @coinsarefun , have you ever seen this design?

I'll post my photos, when and if, it arrives.

Z

• Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

• Options

I'm back on the "good side" of the U.S. Postal Service.

Arrived yesterday, with a couple other pieces that were "lost" . . . . . .

Z

TAMPA BAY COIN CLUB - FLORDIA KEYS OVERSEAS RAILROAD
    Built by Henry Flagler, 128 miles, 42 bridges - Florida mainland to Key West
    In operation from 1912 until the Labor Day Hurricane in 1935

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Railroad

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file