Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

Bought a few quarter rolls a few weeks ago. Finally went through them. I was always wondering when you guys talk about certain coins with "luster" Well I think I know what you mean. There were lots of shiny new quarters but this one really stood out. Even though it is a 2002, it just screams look at how much more shiny I am. It really stands out. I know the scan is not the best but what do you guys think?
    Thanks,
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

The other thing with the quarter above is that I cannot see any clad on the outer ribbing. At first it looks like silver when stacked with other quarters.
    Thanks,
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@milbroco said:
    The other thing with the quarter above is that I cannot see any clad on the outer ribbing. At first it looks like silver when stacked with other quarters.
    Thanks,
    Bob

It's a plated quarter. Likely in silver or platinum for those TV gimmicks. It's also why it's so shiny compared to other quarters.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

WARTIME

Let's GO...

Gl

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Major league slump here gents! Gone through many, many rolls and nothing but some nice State quarter... Ugh!

I leave for Germany tomorrow for a week, so hopefully when I get back things with change. Good luck to all!!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    Major league slump here gents! Gone through many, many rolls and nothing but some nice State quarter... Ugh!

I leave for Germany tomorrow for a week, so hopefully when I get back things with change. Good luck to all!!

see if their banks have some rolls. perhaps some of us can buy some from ya and we can say we did FOREIGN rolls.

how cool would THAT be????

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    ok, for some reason i decided to loup the what looks like rev of a mexican 20 cent and it has these weird RAISED markings with no corresponding marks on the rev!!!

makes me wonder if it is from a counterfeit reverse. VERY odd.

it still doesn't match with the rest of the strength of the strike of the reverse of that partial coin inside the magician's coin BUT, in looking through some DDO mexican stuff i found, i just randomly had this image pop in my head as i looked over the reverse of the coin below. caught me off guard.

if you noticed (not that anyone cares lol) the strength of the bottom example matches the rest of the design while the red coin doesn't. obviously they make it as part of the design so there is SOME explanation, somewhere.

i have some other mexicana red coins around here i'll have to pull out and look over the designs a bit.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

has anyone found W cents in rolls?

i bought a handful today and they looked like as though they spent just some brief time in rolls or a coin purse/box as they have JUST enough scuffs to tell they probably won't go above 66. i got the BS W cents and the PF W cents.

i get the impression they weren't released into circulation though?

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC Post at will brother. Anything (within reason) goes.
    Another favorite of the hobby, the ability to morph back and forth which keeps it interesting.

I have a jar of Canads and Foreens and one of these days :D

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC Post at will brother. Anything (within reason) goes.
    Another favorite of the hobby, the ability to morph back and forth which keeps it interesting.

I have a jar of Canads and Foreens and one of these days :D

ok. i'll try to choose some neat things that are not for sale anywhere currently.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu... I formally wish you 'NO SKUNK'.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2022 8:43AM

"Was it something I said?"
    :D
    Good Luck with the box and the Show.
    :)
    Be aware of the 2008p's. On Jefferson's left eye (viewers right), doubled eye! Very obvious.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    @Coinscratch

since it is your thread, i'll ask first.

does foreign coin bucket (if you know what that means) qualify for roll searching since it is essentially the equivalent of roll searching foreign coins and thus permissible to post in this thread?

why not?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    @Coinscratch

does foreign coin bucket (if you know what that means) qualify for roll searching since it is essentially the equivalent of roll searching foreign coins and thus permissible to post in this thread?

why not?

i have a tendency to go far afield and this IS the usa coin forum, so asking from time-to-time is a good thing for someone like me and my particular post "style." sometimes if feels/seems like i run a little roughshod (one of broadstruck's current threads) but prefer people don't think that i don't value what they want/like for their threads. something like that. ;)

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

This week's half dollar finds (2 - $500 boxes searched)
    Not many, but good ones!
    2-1964 - 90%
    1-1967 - 40%
    1-1969-D - 40%
    1 -1994-S clad proof
    NIFC's (Not Shown) A 2005-D and a 2013-P

• Options

Nice

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    Ran into a former coworker at the Denver Coin Expo today...he took these out of his backpack.
    I left with them :smiley:
    He bought these when he was 11, around 1979, they've been stored and he has never gone through them. He made me a sweet deal of course :blush:

Wish me a 67 in any of them!
    Or a '72 S DDO!
    A '70 S small date would be sweet :smiley:

a modest suggestion. ESPECIALLY if you find something good. get a coin album (dansco or similar if not too expensive) and after you do your search, if you are not in love with the coins left over, start and fill that run of cents with BUs, shouldn't be too much money and then some day/some how, present the full album to this person?

of course the caveat being, his coins started the album, your friendship ended it or something along those lines. :)

• Options

You got it!
    Congratulations
    ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:
    You got it!
    Congratulations
    ;)

Thanks!

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last night I carefully searched the '70 S roll I bought from my friend at the Denver Coin Expo.
    No small dates, no DDOs. Best condition are a couple 64ish.
    Also spotted a couple with heavy die scratches/polishing.

Best specimen (looking at the '70 S on our host's price guide it's pretty obvious that these '70 S's are a real challenge!) and this one has some rim issues too.

Die scratches/polishing...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

that reminds me. i went to an antique mall/shop i haven't been to in years and one of the cases, a rather older gentleman had some coins, so they had cards with the info BEHIND the coin, so i had to look at everything and saw some 70-s 1c small dates for under $20, not a steal imo but a good deal, so if no major problems and they were all nice red color, i'd buy em all. EVERY last one a stinkin large date. smh

• Options

50 / 50

50 Rolls from one bank
    50 Customer Wrapped from another bank

Let's GO...

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I went into a bank that I used to order coins from to order a box of dollar coins. I have not gotten dollar coins in a while. I figured that I might be able to find some of the newer issues. The head teller tells me that she can't order coins right now because the vault is full!!! Then she says I have lots of quarters! So, I got all that I could afford $4000 (8 boxes) all appear to be N.F. String rolls. Then on the way out I said now that I cleared out some space, can I order dollars for next week? She says sure!! Funny that she had all those quarters because most of the other banks won't give me any quarters at all, not even 1 roll. This works out for all. She gets vault space. I get coins to search and when I am done searching them other banks are glad to take them!

• Options

@rec78 said:
    So, I went into a bank that I used to order coins from to order a box of dollar coins. I have not gotten dollar coins in a while. I figured that I might be able to find some of the newer issues. The head teller tells me that she can't order coins right now because the vault is full!!! Then she says I have lots of quarters! So, I got all that I could afford $4000 (8 boxes) all appear to be N.F. String rolls. Then on the way out I said now that I cleared out some space, can I order dollars for next week? She says sure!! Funny that she had all those quarters because most of the other banks won't give me any quarters at all, not even 1 roll. This works out for all. She gets vault space. I get coins to search and when I am done searching them other banks are glad to take them!

did you ask just what denom is causing the vault to be full? (i understand full may just mean the space allotted for coin rolls)

i still kinda dream of getting ike rolls but settle for the little golden ones.

• Options

found this a week or two ago. i got only one roll of dollars that day, all they had and this little lady was in there waitin' for me!

• Options

Awesome Find!
    B)

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    @Coinscratch

why not?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    @Coinscratch

why not?

As long as it's numismatically (holy smokes I can spell it now) related and rated PG13 its all good.
    Myself, switching gears going back to rolls for a bit but you just never know what you might stumble over into next.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2022 7:31AM

am i losing my mind here?

i KNOW i responded to treashunt and the post went though. wat tha hack.

now i gotta go check my posts to see if i accidentally posted it to another thread. ><

edited to add. didn't you already respond too??? wha tha hack!

@Coinscratch

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

now i gotta go check my posts to see if i accidentally posted it to another thread. ><

@Coinscratch

Yeah I think treasure hunt responded to both of us I don’t know but is hard enough to keep up already 😂

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch

Yeah I think treasure hunt responded to both of us I don’t know but is hard enough to keep up already 😂

thanks for the confirmation. i'm thinking i've seen other posts "disappear" but i already have a bit of a conspiracy theory vein and i try NOT to feed it too much.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

sheesh. even from that pic i see the 22 d is a monster.

that quarter!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch

yes, I responded.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    A nice box of 22d. Looks like good strikes and PL‘s.

Close up

A planted box of already been searched junk that the teller had set aside specifically for someone just like me. He overplayed his hand and I bought in to it.
    I could be wrong but the Enders…

Then, I did actually happen to stumble over onto something today at a pawn.
    Two lonely looking over priced envelopeless 73 d mint packs.
    They wouldn’t budge on the price but it didn’t matter they were coming home once I saw some toning luster.

nice toning but..

crazy price

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt the coin has MS68 type of surfaces but the hits will drag her down to 66/+ and that’s OK too because the toning fits the set I’m building.
    Now to find more that have been treated a little better :-)

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @Treashunt the coin has MS68 type of surfaces but the hits will drag her down to 66/+ and that’s OK too because the toning fits the set I’m building.
    Now to find more that have been treated a little better :-)

It'll be an amazing set.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch Wow! As one who collects original mint and proof sets, it amazes me to see people cut open and destroy these older sets. For the life of me a can’t understand the need to do this. There has to be another source such as individual coins that have already been removed from these sets. Are these both the Denver Mint sleeves and did you actually pay $24.99 each? Again, Wow!

• Options

@jfriedm56 said:
    @Coinscratch Wow! As one who collects original mint and proof sets, it amazes me to see people cut open and destroy these older sets. For the life of me a can’t understand the need to do this. There has to be another source such as individual coins that have already been removed from these sets. Are these both the Denver Mint sleeves and did you actually pay $24.99 each? Again, Wow!

Do you have any idea how asinine that sounds?! Besides when I cut one open which is like 1/50 I am preserving the coin by having it graded or put into an album, I have plenty if you want to buy some for your collection 😂

• Options

@jfriedm56 said:

an argument can be made for at least 2 reasons to kill the old sets besides stagnated long-term value.

1. an expert in the field of these stated that they DO over time begin to spot, to the point of damaging the surfaces.
    2. a coin with nice cam/dcam/toning/gem status etc is best served being in a inert holder which also ties back to #1

i agree, all things being equal it would be nice to preserve these as part of numismatic history and they certainly aren't making any more old ones but there are good and not so good reasons to reduce their population.

for someone that doesn't care about that stuff, collect away baby!

• Options

for those that like a little onery-ness, so we CAN have blue coins w/o being MS70ed!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file