rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2022 9:20PM

Coin roll finds since my last post:

2000 Wide "AM" Lincoln cent

Lincoln memorial cent dated "19"

1936 George V Canadian cent - a little beat up but still a neat find

1941 Lincoln cent with laminated planchet

1910 Lincoln cent

Not shown- about 200 common wheat cents.

This week's quarter roll hunt. Two boxes from the federal reserve
    Box one-100% Skunk
    No silver
    No varieties
    No Proofs
    No NIFC's
    No colorful coin
    No "W"'s
    WAH!! ☹☹☹I never had a box that was this bad- ZERO finds🥺🥺🥺XXXX????? Well, it sure can't get any worse! So all most all future federal reserve quarter boxes will be better. ☺☺☺😇😇😇

Ok, enough of that! The second box was much better!😊😊😊😊😊 with the finds shorn below! Still did not find an Otero-Warren quarter! Not many but Ok- still much better then box one with nothing at all!!

Minor die chip under elbow. I did not know these existed. I will keep a lookout in future hunts for further progressions.

Two "In God We Rust" errors:

Maya Anjelou quarter - VDDR-001 #19

Not shown: 5 Washington crossing the Delaware 2021 quarters with small die chips on Washington's cap

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC Come on man! You didn't really shoot that with a cell phone did you?

Now, the lights 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, it doesn't matter and all pointing directly at the target, or not and this is the best I can do with the Cents, granted the 03 is a PL but still. I get better shots with the lights turned away...

anyone struggling with any decent camera phone or decent dslr/mirrorless with decent macro lens, you have to move everything. the camera/stand/lights/coin (especially if the sweet spot eludes). height, legth, width etc x, y, z. it is 98% about finding the sweet spots and in order to do that you gotta move everything.

fwiw, until you get it all dialed in, it is best to work from behind the camera. looking through the view finder and moving the lights around will be much more effective and easier.

those are SIGNIFICANTLY better. it is still the lighting positions but it may also be a camera setting as well. SOOOOOOO close it kinda hurts. lol

for the image i posted above, i didn't take an image BEFORE i could see one of the sweet spots, so the images you posted above i never even would have taken a picture because i could SEE they were wrong before even taking a picture. it is why looking through the view finder/tethering is crucial.

i'm not pushing you to do any more work or go any further than you want but you have the right equip, probably the right lights and imo are soooo close.

the 71-d, 82-p and 2007-p are like 95% the way there.

that little copy stand looks familiar. does it have the ability to flip the camera to the other side with the tighen down piece? of course you have to put something heavy on that black piece so the camera doesn't go top-heavy. if you can, then you can also put some books or whatever on top of the black piece AND under it to raise the camera up to get a better working distance.

also, try using a white background for where you sit the coins. make sure only white is visible because it can effect the camera quite a bit. i had to tinker a bit to get a non-white background to work consistently.

if you know how, you are welcome to also post your f-stop, brightness, manual/auto mode, aperture setting, and a few others. the coins aren't really very close to being over-exposed with too much light imo, it looks wrong but not over-exposed. more like washed out and there is a difference in my book.

i meant to mention this a while back, does your camera have a reset? sometimes it is better to go back to factory settings because we have a tendency to change settings and not know what the default is or forgot we changed something.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited October 9, 2022 7:27AM

this is what your camera is capable of (and better). it may not be your exact goal but gives you a target to aim at.

this isn't necessarily experience, talent, money etc but really just finding the sweet spot(s). holding my lights in my hands WHILE looking through the viewfinder, with a taller copy stand than yours, i could see what the images would mostly look like without actually taking any pictures and then i could adjust the height of the camera to the coin and the distance/angles of the lights to the camera/coin. then use the little shutter-release remote ($5-15) and WELL worth it.

if you like metaphors, you have a ferrari, the track and the driver. now you just need the experience/solution to post some great lap times. :#

this is NOT an A+ effort. this is fast and virtually no post-processing so an expert can pick them apart. what my nikon d90 and sigma macro lens did with 2 GE reveal bulbs on a "cheap" but tall copy stand while i stood BEHIND the camera. it can be a bit akward to move the coins around with the copy stand in the way but it is about getting the good images. 2 people working together, one shooting and one moving coins can put up some BIG numbers in an 8 hour period. probably a few thousand coins a day if not more.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@rec78 said:

nice finds. :)

it isn't coming to me, what is NFIC?

those 100% skunk boxes rolls are really frustrating, especially if a person is looking for ddos/rpms/high-grades and like 10 other things. it is a pretty wide net and getting no fishies, brrrrrrr.

• Options
    edited October 9, 2022 10:18AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@rec78 said:

nice finds. :)

it isn't coming to me, what is NFIC?

those 100% skunk boxes rolls are really frustrating, especially if a person is looking for ddos/rpms/high-grades and like 10 other things. it is a pretty wide net and getting no fishies, brrrrrrr.

It's NIFC-"Not Intended For Circulation". For quarters the NIFC's are the business strike "S" mints minted from 2012-date (I have found some of these in prior searches) and of course proof strikes.

• Options

@rec78 said:
    It's NIFC-"Not Intended For Circulation". For quarters the NIFC's are the business strike "S" mints minted from 2012-date (I have found some of these in prior searches) and of course proof strikes.

ah. ty. that NIFC segment of numismtic is growing and growing.

• Options

not that anyone cares but i JUST turned over 10,000 images with the iphones 6s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did 10-20k on the D90
    10k+ on some random point-n-shoot for coins
    i think 10k on 1-2 cameras long ago.

SHEESH!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck through grease I have a twin.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my latest quarter box.
    Silver?
    W's? ✔
    Varieties?
    Key Coins?
    Errors?
    Found in the very last roll, roll 50.

# 154 W

2019 W San Antonio
    Box Completed.

Rating: Good

Thanks guys ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    From my latest quarter box.
    Silver?
    W's? ✔
    Varieties?
    Key Coins?
    Errors?
    Found in the very last roll, roll 50.

# 154 W

2019 W San Antonio
    Box Completed.

Rating: Good

Thanks guys ;)

Nice! "That ole San Antonio stroll..."

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@rec78 said:
    Lincoln cent dated 199

Just call it a 1992 ;)

• Options

@Coin_nut1977 said:

@rec78 said:
    Lincoln cent dated 199

Just call it a 1992 ;)

Dude, If that's a 1992, you have a BIG cash reward!
    :*

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

any of you guys come across one of these?

• Options

and in case of you have a desire to image the edge of a coin, simply and effectively, one of these flashlight reflector thingies is a good way. an image i took of mine a long time ago. setting it in the roll helped stabilize it.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2022 12:42AM

New Search, NICKELS!

35 Rolls.

Can't believe I found a Bank open today!

Let's GO Silver/ Varieties/Errors

:)
    Completed!

Results:

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    any of you guys come across one of these?

On a 2005 Nickel I Did. The stomach of the bison is incomplete

• Options
    edited October 10, 2022 2:29PM

Looks like a 9

• Options

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forms of ejection doubling/damage?!
    Full on guess based on some sweet ejection doubling I found last year that was identified by Fred.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:

Forms of ejection doubling/damage?!
    Full on guess based on some sweet ejection doubling I found last year that was identified by Fred.

severe die abrasion/polishing.

when you grind on the die, it lowers the die details but raises them on the coins. simliar to cuds and big die chips. take a chunk out of the die and it raised on the coin. :)

it certainly isn't impossible that at certain spots on the coins, if enough coins scrape hard enough against certain parts, it can start to wear on parts of the die, kinda like metal flow lines. we can see them even on 2022 coins. i see em on quarters ALL the time, much to my surprise. lots of pressure and lots of coins will create these and/or dies being a little too soft but mostly the first 2.

• Options

ok, for some reason i decided to loup the what looks like rev of a mexican 20 cent and it has these weird RAISED markings with no corresponding marks on the rev!!!

makes me wonder if it is from a counterfeit reverse. VERY odd.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2022 8:24PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    ok, for some reason i decided to loup the what looks like rev of a mexican 20 cent and it has these weird RAISED markings with no corresponding marks on the rev!!!

makes me wonder if it is from a counterfeit reverse. VERY odd.

Magician's coin. You're lucky that it came apart. I have a Kenndy half with two reverses, but I can't get it apart.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    I posted this pic a while back, a blind cherry Pick from a pawn shop. 3 or 4 of them are the DDO FS-101. I had one of them graded and it just came back MS65.

Edit. The pawn shop had them listed as wheat :D

Nice Finds!

• Options
    edited October 12, 2022 5:08AM

• Options

@rec78 said:
    Magician's coin. You're lucky that it came apart. I have a Kenndy half with two reverses, but I can't get it apart.

hehe.

it didn't come apart, i insisted it come apart and my insistence for it to come open was stronger than it's insistence to stay closed. :D

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

i stopped at a local pawn shop (1 of 2 iirc) and found morgan and peace dollars priced at like $9.99!!!!!!!

of course they came with a bonus; the word COPY stamped on them. how lucky am i !

either they don't get much coin stuff or they've had a secret numismatist in the basement, in a black suit, sleeping in a trunk all these years i've been stopping by.

they used to have some coins but i would NEVER find anything of any merit. perhaps i should've been asking about a webiste/auction site they use. i think i asked once about coins and they said they really just don't get much.

video games, tools, knives, guitars, stereo equip, etc etc out the wazoooo!

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    I posted this pic a while back, a blind cherry Pick from a pawn shop. 3 or 4 of them are the DDO FS-101. I had one of them graded and it just came back MS65.

Nice Finds!

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

i stopped at a local pawn shop (1 of 2 iirc) and found morgan and peace dollars priced at like $9.99!!!!!!!

of course they came with a bonus; the word COPY stamped on them. how lucky am i !

either they don't get much coin stuff or they've had a secret numismatist in the basement, in a black suit, sleeping in a trunk all these years i've been stopping by.

they used to have some coins but i would NEVER find anything of any merit. perhaps i should've been asking about a webiste/auction site they use. i think i asked once about coins and they said they really just don't get much.

video games, tools, knives, guitars, stereo equip, etc etc out the wazoooo!

I left two or three there at the pawnshop. I should go back maybe one of them is a wheat back

• Options

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2022 7:50PM

The good news is that I can rip through a roll of these in a minute or two!

The bad news is that after flying through 60 fresh beautiful Loomis rolls tonight...
    The wear was basically exactly the same on all 3000 pennies lol.
    And also every single penny in every single 2022 D roll I've searched before tonight.

One nice bright light (pretending to be a grader) and it's so easy to spot, over, and over, and over...
    I'd say I'm up to about a 10,000 2022 D penny skunk on these lol.
    Gonna have to get some mint sets... :smiley:

Temple, forehead, hair, bottom of bust...

Top and bottom of shield and bottom of ONE CENT...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    The good news is that I can rip through a roll of these in a minute or two!

The bad news is that after flying through 60 fresh beautiful Loomis rolls tonight...
    The wear was basically exactly the same on all 3000 pennies lol.
    And also every single penny in every single 2022 D roll I've searched before tonight.

you know better than i since you have these in-hand but if you are saying you have thousands of those cents that have that same look, there is a chance they are just weak strikes since it is just the high points which can have that dusty look or perhaps even as a 3rd choice, a little grease in the high points of the die? but since the areas being the high points, from those images, some unusual wear and a weak strike would look like and be in the same areas.

• Options

@Kurisu Get some mint sets :D
    I have another 12 sets coming one of them I won at .99c They must’ve really looked bad.
    Poor blurry dark pictures can tell two different stories. A. The seller knows the coins are trash or B. The seller doesn’t care or even know the difference. Picking up on the subtle clues to decipher which is the key and of course a dose of dumb luck never hurts.
    My latest kill 67+

I’ll post the rest of my order later for your viewing pleasure :p
    PS. No 2021 dime worth sending yet.

• Options

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC I have some nice ones too….what were we talking about again :D

• Options

Wait a minute, what do we have here :#

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

i even went through some mint/proof/proof prestigious sets recently. i wasn't able to sit down and lay stuff out, so i just slid them out in my hands and louped until i was too annoyed to do it anymore.

i found nada but only looked through 12-16 or so.

look forward to seeing what you have hidden there. ;)

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

i even went through some mint/proof/proof prestigious sets recently. i wasn't able to sit down and lay stuff out, so i just slid them out in my hands and louped until i was too annoyed to do it anymore.

i found nada but only looked through 12-16 or so.

look forward to seeing what you have hidden there. ;)

Those particular years are typically trash as I’m sure you already know, give the 74 those have strikes.
    I already flipped through them looking for beamers and toners and no such luck. Of course I’ll go back to it later for steps, bands, and boring grades no pluses for sure.
    However, I do have some more souvenir sets coming next week, those tend to be the sleepers.

• Options

• Options

@Coinscratch

since it is your thread, i'll ask first.

does foreign coin bucket (if you know what that means) qualify for roll searching since it is essentially the equivalent of roll searching foreign coins and thus permissible to post in this thread?

• Options

WARTIME

Let's GO...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file