Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2022 4:11PM

Been on a Roll, yes, Pun intended! Another 2019 W Guam, not bad...

• Options
    CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

I think you most definitely could find at least some silver in that amount of quarters.

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2022 4:27PM

Terrible!

2000 of NOTHING!

WOW.
    Even I'm disgusted.
    Not one single of anything, wow!
    Never going back to this bank.
    Sorry. For my frustration.
    Very surprised. I can see no Silver but
    NOTHING at all?
    :D
    Time to move on.
    :/

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Terrible!

2000 of NOTHING!

oh come on!

nothing?

no rpm, ddo/ddr, error, gems, better dates, recent dates...

did you weigh them all, singly?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited September 21, 2022 4:41PM

maybe we can post estimated times how long we spend on any given large box/bag size.

on a $500 25c box, i would probably average 5-6 hours hours, if i am louping somewhat regularly. looking for big gouges, maybe some discovery stuff on new dates, good die chips, especially on newer dates, the usual ddo/ddr/rpm etc with maybe me looking up a few different ones with each new box just to have something else to look for and for my part, as it has always been, even since my late 20s, doing full 5000 wheat bags, $500 boxes etc, REALLLLLLYY takes it outta me and i usually need a couple hours to get re-centered. - of course i re-roll my stuff, so whether i'm re-rolling or standing in front of the coin counting machine at the bank (they recently stated they are stopping accepting rolled stuff), then my 5-6 hours is including the time to cash out.

the last box, i started pulling out 60s/70s stuff to look at, at the end of the box as there are some pretty neat ddos.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:
    Hello everyone,

My roomie has over 10K in loose pennies and quarters that he has built up over the last 20 years that he wants to sell. They are already sorted into quarters and pennies. He understands he will have to take less than 10K or he has to roll them. What is your opinion, do you think I could hit some nice coins?

Thanks

You won’t know without trying but it sounds like a lot of work. Although re-rolling quarters isn’t as bad as pennies.
    It kind of depends on the condition of the coins whether I would take that on or not.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2022 8:16PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@joeykoins said:
    It's been awhile!
    A whole bag of Halves.
    2000 Halves!

how much does it weigh. sheesh

a $1000 of quarters is over 50 pounds. so is halves over 100 ?!??!?!!?!?

any tokens of that size will have a good chance of being worth way more than 50c. that is not a standard size. in fact, even if it were a bag of silver halves, 2000 various half dollar size tokens would most likely still be worth way more. fwiw :)

i'd love to do some ikes like that bag. :smiley:

A $1000 worth of clad halves will weigh the same as a $1000 worth of clad quarters. You have half as many half dollars.
    There are 2000 half dollars in $1000
    There are 4000 quarters in $1000
    Half dollars weight twice as much as quarters.
    Clad quarters weigh 5.67g while clad halves weigh 11.34g
    2000 halves weigh ($1000 face value)
    11.34 x 2000=22680g
    4000 quarters weigh ($1000 face value)
    5.67x4000=22680g

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@Cakes said:
    Hello everyone,

My roomie has over 10K in loose pennies and quarters that he has built up over the last 20 years that he wants to sell. They are already sorted into quarters and pennies. He understands he will have to take less than 10K or he has to roll them. What is your opinion, do you think I could hit some nice coins?

Thanks

You won’t know without trying but it sounds like a lot of work. Although re-rolling quarters isn’t as bad as pennies.
    It kind of depends on the condition of the coins whether I would take that on or not.

I would do it. By 10k do you mean 10,000 pennies or $10,000 worth of pennies? If you have the space, you don't have to go through them all in a week or a month or even a year. Probably no silver quarters but a lot of varieties and W mintmark quarters are worthwhile searching for.

• Options

Normal Hunt!

Let's GO...

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins... Very nice silver quarter - and, a VERY good year.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grabbed a bunch of Loomis and customer rolls from Chase on the way home from work yesterday.
    Again my favorite teller as I'm walking up announces I've got some pretty halves in my drawer.
    She wasn't kidding.
    A little handful of beautiful 2019 halves with some subtle toning!

She then described the bag the customer brought a handful of rolls and some change it...it sure sounded like a Mint bag :blush: and she also knows this customer is not a collector so who knows how he ended up with these.
    I'll take a close look at these later today, I'm working from home for the first part of my day.

Just a fun moment to share with you all...wish me an MS68 :wink:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited September 23, 2022 8:42AM

@Kurisu said:

...wish me an MS68 :wink:

Good Luck, mman!
    Isn't it just joyful and pleasant to have this sort of relationships with people at these banks, that we frequent?
    Find some Walkers!
    Baby Silver Eagles, I call them.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2022 8:48PM

Went through that little pile of 2019's my teller gave me. There were both P's and D's.

This was the best one... What do you think? MS66?

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

1.4 million - D

1.8 million - P

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    Went through that little pile of 2019's my teller gave me. There were both P's and D's.

The fields are just fantastic!
    B)

• Options
    edited September 24, 2022 9:52AM

Let's Try The Nickels!
    Many old ones inside.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2022 3:40PM

After about 17 Rolls!

Silver!

1943 & 1944 Philadelphia's

• Options
    edited September 24, 2022 10:20PM

Nickel Box Completed!
    With 2 more Wartime's.

1945 P & 1943 S

So, that makes, 4!
    Silver is silver.
    B)

• Options

Strong finish to my day yesterday :smiley:

She's been spent a few times but still lovely, only 866,850 minted!

V75 W :blush: Those little black spots...it's loosing it's cladding :neutral:

W Lowell :blush:

4.7 million minted, the last one I found also took a heavy shot to a helmet. Helmets work, wear your helmets :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited September 25, 2022 10:48AM

I got 2 boxes of quarters this week in lieu of half dollars. After the first few rolls the The newest coins that I found were the Maya Anjelou's. No Sally Ride, No Wilma Mankiller, No Nina Otero-Warren. SO, I thought that maybe there would be a "W" or two! But, nope no "W"'s. :/ , There were no Ride, Mankiller, or Otero-Warren quarters at all! BUT,
    BUT, I found 7 -YES 7 :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley: Maya Anjelou VDDR-001's and two silver quarters a 1963-D and a 1940-P. :smiley::smiley:

I don't know what someone was trying to do to this 2014 Shenandoah quarter. I will be putting it back in cirulation:

The 2 silvers:

A Proof 2010-S Yellowstone:

7 DDR's: #'s 10-16

• Options

@Kurisu said:

Pretty, but I'm thinking 64. Are those also hits behind Kennedy's head?

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@Kurisu said:

Too many hits 64 at best.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2022 11:05AM

@rec78 said:

@Coinscratch said:

@Kurisu said:

Too many hits 64 at best.

Yup. It's a clear 3 teeth from reeding right behind the top of his head

Coins are Neato!

• Options

• Options

@Kurisu said:

just because i'm not well-versed on the newer stuff, i looked up the pops just to see how many are graded, top pop etc and there are fewer than i anticipated. pcgs top is a lone 68 whereas ngc has almost 100. pcgs has 286 TOTAL graded not counting first strikes and ngc has 294 total minus the fancy labels. so it may be worth looking into some pricing for 64/65 etc.

never hurts to get familiar with stuff so if you do come across something you at least have a feel for what may be good to set aside or not.

less than 1000 graded for any type of label between pcgs and ngc says a lot but i'm not saying you didn't already know all of this. just sharing.

of course considering the time period we are in the pops can be delayed up to several months easily so there could be big orders just sitting there waiting to demolish modern pops.

it is also possible to create artificial rarity of some graded stuff due to people having to wait so long and not wanting to. could keep some prices higher longer than normal.

ok that explains why the pops are so low? even in 66, it isn't even close to worth sending off. MAYBE not even in 7?

• Options

The Ole' booger variety :D

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2022 5:30PM

@Coin-nut1977

Damn Covid.....

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited September 26, 2022 5:43PM

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

something else going on there than meets the eye. scraped die along with strike through?

• Options
    edited September 27, 2022 10:11AM

Besides the coin hit. Looks like a struck thru to me. :smile:

• Options

• Options
    edited September 27, 2022 1:02PM

@Coin_nut1977 said:

DUDE!
    You may have found another one of these
    Strike throughs? I have 2 Identical ones. Both in the same series. The P Rockefeller.
    Both in the same area. Even though yours seems to be an early stage or later stage?
    WoW!
    Here, check mine out. I have 2 right now being graded across the street. Waiting anyday now for the results.
    Awesome find! Congratulations

The Twins!

Yours

Mine

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@Coin_nut1977 said:

DUDE!
    You may have found another one of these
    Strike throughs? I have 2 Identical ones. Both in the same series. The P Rockefeller.
    Both in the same area. Even though yours seems to be an early stage or later stage?
    WoW!
    Here, check mine out. I have 2 right now being graded across the street. Waiting anyday now for the results.
    Awesome find! Congratulations

The Twins!

Yours

Mine

I have a reverse struck thru

• Options
    edited September 27, 2022 4:59PM

I believe I have 2

• Options

• Options

I'm with @Coinscratch ...if you have opportunities (and it's comfortably within your budget) to search more than just rolls, do it! Most especially if your intent is searching for "grade-able" coins.

I got a completely ridiculous deal(s) on some covers.
    I'm seeing at least one or two for possible grading already.
    Snapshots of the selection. I got multiples of them :blush:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

• Options

• Options

Let's GO...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file