Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    I'm with @Coinscratch ...if you have opportunities (and it's comfortably within your budget) to search more than just rolls, do it! Most especially if your intent is searching for "grade-able" coins.

I got a completely ridiculous deal(s) on some covers.
    I'm seeing at least one or two for possible grading already.
    Snapshots of the selection. I got multiples of them :blush:

Those look very nice (from my cell) are they business strikes? The 04 is for sure as the mint didn’t make satin finish’s that year.
    I’m still waiting on grades on the 04
    I found mixed in packs that typically contain a mix of proofs and satins.
    PL-Please 😬

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@Kurisu said:
    I'm with @Coinscratch ...if you have opportunities (and it's comfortably within your budget) to search more than just rolls, do it! Most especially if your intent is searching for "grade-able" coins.

Those look very nice (from my cell) are they business strikes? The 04 is for sure as the mint didn’t make satin finish’s that year.
    PL-Please 😬

I believe they're all business strikes. Going to really give them a study this weekend.
    I'll take some shots of the spectacular ones.
    PL would be awesome on the '04!!!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited September 29, 2022 7:01PM

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

@Kurisu said:

PL-Please 😬

I believe they're all business strikes. Going to really give them a study this weekend.
    I'll take some shots of the spectacular ones.
    PL would be awesome on the '04!!!

They do look good and I’ve rarely found nice Jeff’s in circ. rolls. I’m not a metallurgist or a meteorologist for that matter but I’m pretty sure the nickels are softer. Even in original bank rolls the 05 Ds for example very banged up.

Edit PL Pops are growing Albeit slowly.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2022 7:52PM

@Coinscratch said:

Edit PL Pops are growing Albeit slowly.

I have MANY Mint rolls of all these nickels :smiley:
    They're one of my favorite things to search! Big details like large coins, nice and thick (so I rarely drop them lol), and big pleasing fields I guess is how I might say it.
    Just fun.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Let's GO...

Results

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Back to the Nickels.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭

I finally completed my territorial quarters set (Puerto Rico-P) and my 1965-present dimes set (FINALLY found that ever elusive 2009-P!). I still am missing the 2009-P nickel and three of the National Parks quarters.

I should still get a dime roll when I exchange rolls anyway, just in case there could be a silver hiding in there, right?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2022 9:01AM

went through a few hundred in halves and i gotta say, those poor things seem to suffer the fate of the wheel mark more than any other denom i've seen. managed to hit a few good coins too but not too many. i managed to pull over a rolls worth of nice 80s dates out that i think are premium-worthy coins including an 80-d that glows so bright, it just may have spent time at a nuclear reactor plant! (pretty decent grade contact-wise as well. if you look through quarters as notice some of the 2021/22 glow very bright, it has that kinda look. :smiley:

casually looked for some ddo, rpm etc but my ambition waned quickly. happy to hunt though.

a 99-d that is crazy PL that it almost looks plated. i had to check the NGC pops to confirm they exist for the date. pcgs gives no love to them but man alive, the are so flashy, they look fake, even in-hand.

found a neat 80s date with a nice strike through with some retained crud (solid black) that was struck into the coin but it suffered a big scratch(es) to the face/cheek. back into the fray it goes.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited September 30, 2022 7:49PM

Had to take a few pics of this one, stopped me in my tracks, it's glowing.
    Right in the middle of a Loomis roll. a luster bomb and so lovely in hand with warm gold pink toning.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

here is about the best i can do with my iphone 6s and 1 light. it is enough so that you can see the static-y grey fields normally associated with PL fields. they've always reminded me of a tv full of snow/static. i probably shoulda pulled another 90s date to image side-by-side as the contrast is quite stark. i don't think they have much value unless near top-pop but a cool coin nonetheless.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

You learn something new everyday. Ever found rolls with the ends glued shut?? Jezzzzz! It's a first for me!! 😂 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2022 4:51PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    You just never know when you're in the right place, at the right time.

Sometimes you do know.................Place, CHECK - Right time, CHECK.......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@rec78 said:
    A BU-ish 1998-P wide AM!!! This is my first one of these and quite a nice surprise. I was going through a very boring bunch of penny rolls and just out of the blue this coin pops up:
    1998-P Wide AM

gratz.

funny how that happens.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went through a box of 50 rolls of candy half dollars this weekend. Did not find any silver but found a few proof half dollars and a bunch of nifc half dollars. The previous box I went through and found a proof half dollar 264 silver halves and a whole bunch of 2021 d half dollars. Happy Hunting though all you coin roll Hunters. :)B):)

Also, the two half dollars with Pearl Harbor and the Civil War Union officer are strange fines. But it is always like a box of chocolate you never know what you're going to find when your coin roll hunting.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Got a nice little collection from just one roll :smiley:

Trustees’ Garden - Only 399,900 minted!
    Space Program - 1.4 million
    Peratrovich - 1.2 million
    Wampanoag - 29 million

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 ... Those look like biscuits... ;) but with a bit of cheese and wine... Just fine. :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited October 3, 2022 6:04PM

so after finding the 99d 50c PL and using the ngc pops to confirm it isn't a plated (pl do exist and are graded) or otherwise PMDed coin, i finally got around to the stack of quarters i'd been socking aside for later study and figured if i was right about the 99d being a PL when moderns really aren't my bag, perhaps i should look up the quarters and amazingly enough the ones i looked up, turned out to ALL have PL pops!!! (probably a lot more PL coins in various denoms/types that i'm currently aware of)

effigy mounds, bombay hook, 2019 d guam/park/war in the pacific (whatever it is called) and some others. almost a 21d crossing the delaware but none in the pops, yet. ;)

SO, if you aren't up to snuff on the difference between plating and some moderns and modern-ish coins PL properties, best stick em aside for further study. of course the reeds are a good indicator but i wouldn't call an un-plated edge an un-plated coin, ya know?

they REALLY look like problem coins at a glance because of how different their PL is compared to their semi-modern and classic coin counterparts look in-hand.

• Options

Let's try the coin that has the most potential.

The Cent Bank Box!

No Silver, but a whole many other goodies.

Such as,

Let's GO...

• Options

Need some honey with those biscuits 😛
    1972 D LPL
    It’s LIKE Proof like. The obverse devices look just like a cameo and with static mirrored fields. However, they reverse may hold it back, kind of like my photography skills.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    1972 D LPL

is that a date pcgs/ngc lists as having PL pops? seems unlikely but i know the PL bubble popped a couple/few years back and all kinds of neat stuff started coming outta the woodwork.

i took some more shots of my kennedy PL and will get through them in the next couple of days and if i find an angle for the coin or light, i'll say so.

if you stick that coin into the slot of the front of a cardboard 2x2 unstapled, you can rotate/move it around in your one hand with the camera in the other w/o having your fingers around the coin. fwiw

smart phones are great and flexible but a dslr they are NOT!

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:
    1972 D LPL

is that a date pcgs/ngc lists as having PL pops? seems unlikely but i know the PL bubble popped a couple/few years back and all kinds of neat stuff started coming outta the woodwork.

i took some more shots of my kennedy PL and will get through them in the next couple of days and if i find an angle for the coin or light, i'll say so.

if you stick that coin into the slot of the front of a cardboard 2x2 unstapled, you can rotate/move it around in your one hand with the camera in the other w/o having your fingers around the coin. fwiw

smart phones are great and flexible but a dslr they are NOT!

Good idea I’ll give her a try.
    Not sure about ‘72 but I’ve seen a few in the PG from the sixties and seventies. I believe one is the 64 Jeff.

• Options

I actually have one of these, maybe not quite as frosty but better shape.
    PLs are sleepers and easy to miss unless your looking for it.

• Options

When scanning the Price Guide lists PL is not always listed where applicable.
    E.g. Open 1999 D RD Cent and then you will see red proof like as one of the options.

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't 1999 the year that the Denver Mint did an amazing job on their MS coins?

• Options
    edited October 4, 2022 6:02AM

@Coinscratch said:
    When scanning the Price Guide lists PL is not always listed where applicable.
    E.g. Open 1999 D RD Cent and then you will see red proof like as one of the options.

something doesn't seem right about that. PL/DMPL etc shouldn't be viewable only by expanding.

i don't see the option for that in ngc price guide/pop or pcgs price guide/pop.

there are different pages (not the main) where that may be possible as i've seen dedicated pages and whatnot for specific types/dates etc over the years but those links i think no longer work?

did you say you are using and point-n-shoot camera and not a camera phone?

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/united-states/cents/100/

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/lincoln-cent-modern/47/most-active/ms?pn=1&ps=-1
    https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/lincoln-cent-modern/47/most-active

• Options

fwiw, i either didn't know or most likely just forgot that ngc has a DETAILS population report for problem coins. fwiw

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    fwiw, i either didn't know or most likely just forgot that ngc has a DETAILS population report for problem coins. fwiw

That was from a cell phone, terrible I know. I'll shoot some more pics with at least my scope. It's worth seeing.
    Still struggling with the real camera :'(

• Options
    edited October 4, 2022 7:35AM

@GiveMeProof said:
    Wasn't 1999 the year that the Denver Mint did an amazing job on their MS coins?

I think so, this one came back MS67+ I thought it would go 68PL but not quite.
    @LanceNewmanOCC You can see some PL static in the fields.

Edit: whoops Philly

• Options

The PCGS training video clearly states that PL coins must be reflective on both sides and the reverse here isn't even close.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

That was from a cell phone, terrible I know. I'll shoot some more pics with at least my scope. It's worth seeing.
    Still struggling with the real camera :'(

there are worse posted for sure.

the darker the room the better til you get good or some people just have good fortune to be able to use cell phones in bright rooms, most can't, including myself.

to be fair, these types of coins can be a bear to image, compared to say circ, business strikes.

i've been looking out for some light (in weight) lights that are kinda small as well and have a camera and coin in a fixed position and move the lights which imo, really the best way to go and i still have work on my end to set up a dedicated numis-imaging station and my results represent that lack of accomplishment. not a huge deal since i know a bit of effort/planning can increase quality pretty quickly should i be so inclined.

what about the PL pop expansion thing?

• Options

What about it? I'm liking it - That beat up Jeff sold for 3,500 or so. Should be an easy way to add value to the collection.

• Options

easy :D:D:D

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    What about it? I'm liking it - That beat up Jeff sold for 3,500 or so. Should be an easy way to add value to the collection.

hehe

let me rephrase.

i CANNOT find that in order to view PL pops/price, i have to expand anything. can you provide a screenshot (unless it is just a mobile app/website thing). i posted the above from a PC which does not require the expansion to see PL/DMPL or whatever pops/prices, ever that i've seen. :)

you sold the jeffie for $3.5k?

• Options

ok. it was a bit of a pain but i got 2 lamps together and put them about 18" above the surface they were sitting on, kinda similar to the lights that attach to a copy stand.

put some coins flat on the surface on a small piece of white paper and since the lights were fixed, slid the paper around and used JUST my eyes to gauge the type of look i wanted to try to achieve, with just a iphone 6s and the MORE light the camera phones can draw from, the better the sharpness, without washing-out/over-exposing of course, which means moving something around A LOT to find the sweet spot(s).

BUT, usually it is easier to move the camera (in-hand) and coin (in-hand) sitting in a either stapled or unstapled cardboard 2x2 and then, dont take pictures. use your eyes to get the coin to the location it needs to be at, rather low and back away from the lights usually is a good spot, then you gotta either lower the coin and/or raise your hand with the camera to where your eyes would be or so and then you can shoot some images BUT you have to hold still or fall victim to motion blur. you have to hold still for a sec while the camera processes the image and it is best to shoot a couple/few images, then go to the next side or coin.

now, if you have a big, flat and long surface, you may be able to get away with just moving the lights higher and/or further back. i did not diffuse the lights. that could help and it is best to be able to easily un-diffuse because some coins are better w/o it and you'll need to go back n forth as needed, quickly and easily.

i did mine on the edge of a desk, so i could lower the coin below the surface to give more working area to find the sweet spot of the current setup.

these are some of those results. (not showing the flat on-surface images as the in-hands are a lot better because i don't have a long/deep enough surface cleared right now, which is the better way to go if you can get the sweet spot that way.

the key, use your eyes to find the sweet spot before doing much of anything else. the less external (ambient) light, the better. JUST from the light sources if possible, until you get good.

remember, in-hand, you deal with motion/micro-blur.

no post-processing of shadows, brightness, contrast, color, sharpness etc which will DRASTICALLY improve the accuracy of these images.

i was not even close to 1:1 ratio, meaning there is a LOT of dead space around the coins. the closer to 1:1 the better, meaning minimal dead space around the coin when imaging.

i will put some images at the end on a flat surface where the only thing i move essentially, is the camera, you can see the DRASTIC difference in sharpness of the images.

FLAT SURFACE - no holding the coins WITH some minor post-processing

• Options
    edited October 4, 2022 11:13AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

hehe

let me rephrase.

i CANNOT find that in order to view PL pops/price, i have to expand anything. can you provide a screenshot (unless it is just a mobile app/website thing). i posted the above from a PC which does not require the expansion to see PL/DMPL or whatever pops/prices, ever that i've seen. :)

No! Someone else did for 3,840.00 it looks like. This is all that I'm searching (PG/PR) for populations.
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1964-d-5c-fs-pl/94076

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

No! Someone else did for 3,840.00 it looks like.

AWE. i was hoping it was yours. :)

• Options

i forgot to mention in the past weeks that i have a moto g7 play (android) phone and it gets around the same results at the iphone 6s for image qualty. fwiw

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

• Options

Mine is a 12 or 13 Pro but you couldn't tell. > @LanceNewmanOCC said:

i forgot to mention in the past weeks that i have a moto g7 play (android) phone and it gets around the same results at the iphone 6s for image qualty. fwiw

Here's that 72 D LPL (hopefully PL) shot with my Canon EOS. You can see how the reverse is less frosty than the obverse yet, both sides are reflective so worth a trip to Cali.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file