Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Oh crap - not again - Quarters with milk spots - !!!!!!!!! I thought the Mint figured out that problem on the ASE's?

A lot of these P Mayas have the milk spots...the Denver ones do not.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

More goodies in the mail box today.

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found Today! Curious of any chance of being a clamshell? I know there isnt any value. I dont own a clamshell error.

• Options

• Options
    edited March 20, 2022 6:39AM

@Coin_nut1977 said:
    Found Today! Curious of any chance of being a clamshell? I know there isnt any value. I dont own a clamshell error.![]

It looks cut to me and then corroded, also looks like the coin has been in a vice or something at some point...if coins could talk... :smile: I'm no expert on this though!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that does appear to be a clamshell error. Unfortunately, the detached lamination part seems to have been pulled off. Not sure on value but it does look like a clamshell lamination error to me.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@Coin_nut1977 said:
    Found Today! Curious of any chance of being a clamshell? I know there isnt any value. I dont own a clamshell error.![]

It looks cut to me and then corroded, also looks like the coin has been in a vice or something at some point...if coins could talk... :smile: I'm no expert on this though!

Its a handy lil homemade pocket sized flathead screw driver. The owner was probably an Eagle scout and an avid MacGyver fan.

• Options

Well much better news on my backup shipment of P Mayas, Yay!

The seller followed my instructions and packed the rolls FAR better lol! Not perfect but so much better...they're coming out to about $11 per roll when I include the shipping @joeykoins just so you know. Heck of a deal if I do say so myself :smiley:

Maybe I'll get some more while I still can!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    Well much better news on my backup shipment of P Mayas, Yay!

The seller followed my instructions and packed the rolls FAR better lol! Not perfect but so much better...they're coming out to about $11 per roll when I include the shipping @joeykoins just so you know. Heck of a deal if I do say so myself :smiley:

Maybe I'll get some more while I still can!

Lol.
    You're right, good deal!
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

The engraved quarter is really neat. Never seen one before. Nice find.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

No idea?

• Options
    CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

PMD

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2022 3:08AM

My last ten boxes of half dollars yielded slim pickings, I got about 20 NIFCS's and only 1 40% silver (in the very last box) and 1 proof. Longest drought I have ever had. Even the NIFC dates are becoming harder to find. I can only get half dollar boxes about once every two weeks now as my supplying bank only gets them for me when they order coins for themselves.
    One of my banks all-of a sudden wanted to dump some coin rolls, so I took them.
    Cents, Dimes, Nickels, and Quarters.
    I did get about $600 in dimes and found three silver dimes all dated 1964-P. Finally found 2009 dimes after 13 years looking for one in change. In fact, I got 3 2009-P's and 2 2009-D's (I do admit thou that I have not roll searched dimes in a long-long, time (like almost 50 years), I have never found a 2009 dime in regular change), and a lot of 1969-1971's with the proof reverses. All customer wrapped rolls. Other than silver, dimes are dull to search and boring with not much to search for.

And now my two big fears of customer wrapped rolls:
    1. Shortages
    One of the dime rolls had a penny turned sideways shoved in the one end-with only 41 dimes in the roll. It cost me $5 for a roll with $4.11 in it- I lost 89 cents on this roll. Such is the hazard of coin roll searching. Obviously done on purpose. Some of the quarter rolls had 39 and others 41 coins in them.

1. The person who deposited them in the bank already searched them. I also got $400 in nickels-most of which had been already searched. (The person marked the rolls) -and yep, they were already searched, but I went through them anyways, just in case and find nothing. -no shortages on these.

I also got 21 more BWR of BU state quarters.

I may have found a 1999-P wide AM penny and a 1972-D No FG half dollar which I will post photos in another post later. I have found 4 or 5- 2000-P wide AM cents. I did not find a 1998-P wide AM yet. And if the 1999 is a wide AM it will be my first. It is not in good condition tho.

Two penny rolls had a dime in them and so did one nickel roll. I don't know how this happens with customer wrapped rolls, but is does.

• Options

@rec78 When searching customer wrapped rolls you have to take the bad with the good. You cannot change your whole thought process based one losing $5. one time. There are gonna be ups and downs yet the ups far out weigh the downs when compared to searching fed wrapped crap.
    However, fed rolls are not bad if your just looking for varieties and errors but they are terrible when looking for mint state quality coins. They are simply too beat up and run through the system too many times.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah - I quit going to Vegas too because I didn't win every time........ :D But anyhow, finally stopped at my local bank today and picked up 20 cent rolls and 20 nickel rolls........ will post any finds.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Yeah - I quit going to Vegas too because I didn't win every time........ :D But anyhow, finally stopped at my local bank today and picked up 20 cent rolls and 20 nickel rolls........ will post any finds.

Good Luck, my friend.
    ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Today’s picks from an antique mall.
    Apparently the quarters are a hot commodity as I paid 40 bucks for the role of 2021D. This particular seller is known to be over priced. He wasn’t there at the time but he must’ve seen me coming :D

These were from a different seller a couple of cabinets over.

• Options

Today, I picked up a Quarter bank box where I never received one before.
    So maybe????

#109 W?

:*

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Apparently the quarters are a hot commodity as I paid 40 bucks for the role of 2021D. This particular seller is known to be over priced. He wasn’t there at the time but he must’ve seen me coming :D

Wow that's an extra hot commodity in my opinion! So far I've manage to not open about 8 solid rolls out of about 15 I've ended up with of WCD D's here right near the Denver Mint :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

Wow that's an extra hot commodity in my opinion! So far I've manage to not open about 8 solid rolls out of about 15 I've ended up with of WCD D's here right near the Denver Mint :smiley:

What gives? Is it the strike throughs or high grades?

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @rec78 When searching customer wrapped rolls you have to take the bad with the good. You cannot change your whole thought process based one losing $5. one time. There are gonna be ups and downs yet the ups far out weigh the downs when compared to searching fed wrapped crap.
    However, fed rolls are not bad if your just looking for varieties and errors but they are terrible when looking for mint state quality coins. They are simply too beat up and run through the system too many times.

I know that. I was just telling you of my latest experience. Rolls from the fed certainly do have mint state quality coins in them. I will take rolls from the federal reserve every time. I did not say I lost 5$. Even rolls from the fed are missing coins sometimes. I think you got it reversed- customer wrapped rolls- rarely have mint state quality coins, because most of these have been used in their businesses..this is my experience.
    I have searched rolls for many years. Rolls from the fed have almost always been better.

• Options

@rec78 said:

@Coinscratch said:

I know that. I was just telling you of my latest experience. Rolls from the fed certainly do have mint state quality coins in them. I will take rolls from the federal reserve every time. I did not say I lost 5$. Even rolls from the fed are missing coins sometimes. I think you got it reversed- customer wrapped rolls- rarely have mint state quality coins, because most of these have been used in their businesses..this is my experience.
    I have searched rolls for many years. Rolls from the fed have almost always been better.

Are you talking about recently or are you talking about rolls you searched many years ago?
    I would like to see some of your finds...
    Strange that we have such different experiences with the rolls. Maybe I'll try some more fed rolls but I doubt it. My experience has been 1 or 2 MS65's maybe a 66 nothing higher per box.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2022 6:11AM

Well, I finally got a chart together from all of my coin roll hunting records. It may be off by a bit because I didn't start keeping track of the rolls I hunted right away (and tried to confiscate for that my guessing how much I had already hunted).

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@rec78 said:

@Coinscratch said:

Are you talking about recently or are you talking about rolls you searched many years ago?
    Strange that we have such different experiences with the rolls. Maybe I'll try some more fed rolls but I doubt it. My experience has been 1 or 2 MS65's maybe a 66 nothing higher per box.

By "fed rolls" are we talking about U.S. Mint rolls?

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Searched about 14 of my solid Philly Maya rolls... found 2 that I consider to be in the MS67 or higher range.

I just deposited the rest at my credit union...So if you're in the Denver area and come across a few lovely BU Maya P's...
    Still not seeing solid rolls of D Mayas here so thought I'd spread some actual CRH love in Denver :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    Husker73Husker73 Posts: 35 ✭✭

What is the big deal about the 2022 Maya Angelou quarters. Where I reside the banks I go to have a few boxes of the new quarters I did get a 2022 box and sold it on eBay for a profit. But my banks seem to always need the quarters they have and won’t let me have a box unless I have quarters to trade them.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Husker73 said:
    What is the big deal about the 2022 Maya Angelou quarters. Where I reside the banks I go to have a few boxes of the new quarters I did get a 2022 box and sold it on eBay for a profit. But my banks seem to always need the quarters they have and won’t let me have a box unless I have quarters to trade them.

I agree, although I am looking forward to keeping a couple of Sally Ride rolls...

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

@Husker73 said:

I agree, although I am looking forward to keeping a couple of Sally Ride rolls...

Today is my Friday...picking up rolls on the way home today...hoping for solid rolls of Maya, WCD, or even better for this week some Sally's :smiley:
    Wish me good karma!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

@rec78 said:

@Coinscratch said:

By "fed rolls" are we talking about U.S. Mint rolls?

Good point! When I say fed rolls I’m not talking about original from the mint and I’m not even sure their from the federal bank. They are typically white with red stripes on the end (but so are some of the original mint rolls)
    Similar to Loomis or brinks services that are mostly junk.

• Options

@CoinHunter4 said:

I like it but you should add a column or two for graded successes and scores so you can come up with some percentages.

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@Joe_360 said:

@Husker73 said:

Today is my Friday...picking up rolls on the way home today...hoping for solid rolls of Maya, WCD, or even better for this week some Sally's :smiley:
    Wish me good karma!

Bring the tellers kolache‘s and donuts then let the Karma rain.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@CoinHunter4 said:

I like it but you should add a column or two for graded successes and scores so you can come up with some percentages.

Maybe not so much "graded success" for me, more interesting, W's, S's, Wheats, Key-dates, Silver, rare finds.... Thanks, Joe

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

@Coinscratch said:

@CoinHunter4 said:

Maybe not so much "graded success" for me, more interesting, W's, S's, Wheats, Key-dates, Silver, rare finds.... Thanks, Joe

Ya, I just made that chart quick--I wasn't going for a chart with all my finds--that would take much longer to create.

• Options

Just got back from the bank--I picked up my order of a dime box, nickel box, and a penny box and grabbed a customer wrapped penny box that they had as well. The dimes are almost completely brand new 2021-P (although not totally brand new--there are a few circulated coins mixed in), the nickels are like 60% brand new 2020-P. I was hoping for some silver... ...but that will most likely not be happening this hunt. The penny box I ordered is circulated (which is a bummer--I was hoping for a 2022 box). At least the customer wrapped cent box is pretty unique--there are some shrink-wrapped rolls (from who knows when), a few rolls that have "new" written on them, and my first ever Loomis roll (I typically get what I think are brinks rolls around here). Anyways, I'll update you all on the finds eventually!

• Options

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

imo, worth posting in it's own thread if you haven't already. it is rather peculiar and while your images are good, they are not enough FOR ME to say 100% whether it is an error or not but there is a chance. more eyes could lock it down i bet.

neat stuff in this thread over its MANY posts.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Nice to see you over here @LanceNewmanOCC only a handful of members actually post in this thread.
    I’m pretty sure they’re a lot of lurkers though hoping to catch a glimpse of the 69S ddo. Only @joeykoins has the kinda luck needed to find one :*

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Nice to see you over here @LanceNewmanOCC only a handful of members actually post in this thread.
    I’m pretty sure they’re a lot of lurkers though hoping to catch a glimpse of the 69S ddo. Only @joeykoins has the kinda luck needed to find one :*

i posted my little blip of a find a while back of a couple silver halves and a W quarter. that is STILL the only W i've found not that i've been trying though. doing the rolls was a random blip as well. i'd be more inclined to do $10-50k worth than $1-5k, say on a regular weekly/bi-weekly basis with big tables/tubs and spend 99% of the time just sorting and once a month go through the big tubs. maybe have some sort of big table with holes or slides. probably another digiscope with a big monitor to save my neck like i used to do it. i really don't like the scopes when there are significantly better options (more versatile/effective) but they can have their uses and searching large batches of coins w/o bending ones neck is one of them. just slide the coins under the scope and they appear on the monitor. once practiced, i think it is one of the fastest methods w/o automated technology.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Bank wrapped rolls has taken a new meaning over the years. One of my banks wraps their own rolls and will not take customer wrapped rolls-you need to bring coins in raw. But bank wrapped rolls also refers to the rolls that are delivered from the federal reserve to the banks. Most banks today do not wrap their own rolls.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

i posted my little blip of a find a while back of a couple silver halves and a W quarter. that is STILL the only W i've found not that i've been trying though. doing the rolls was a random blip as well. i'd be more inclined to do $10-50k worth than $1-5k, say on a regular weekly/bi-weekly basis with big tables/tubs and spend 99% of the time just sorting and once a month go through the big tubs. maybe have some sort of big table with holes or slides. probably another digiscope with a big monitor to save my neck like i used to do it. i really don't like the scopes when there are significantly better options (more versatile/effective) but they can have their uses and searching large batches of coins w/o bending ones neck is one of them. just slide the coins under the scope and they appear on the monitor. once practiced, i think it is one of the fastest methods w/o automated technology.

Yes, that is the kind of set up I have dreamed about. A couple years back my wife bought me a nice desk for my coin room yet it is more like a dresser with no place to sit down. So, I stand while sorting through a freshly unwrapped roll looking through a large looking glass. Then, when I see a year that needs further investigation I have set down the glass. pick up the loupe and do a 8" downward crunch to get under the light and focus. Talk about tedious especially when some rolls are loaded with 80's and 90's cents. So, I can get roughly 10 to 15 crunches per roll but I tend to offset that with beer so it levels out. Now, that I'm thinking about it, I'm doing this all wrong. I think it's time to add another desk, one with a nice chair - Yea!

• Options

@rec78 said:
    Bank wrapped rolls has taken a new meaning over the years. One of my banks wraps their own rolls and will not take customer wrapped rolls-you need to bring coins in raw. But bank wrapped rolls also refers to the rolls that are delivered from the federal reserve to the banks. Most banks today do not wrap their own rolls.

Yea, I can only wish I had started picking up rolls of coins years ago. A bank I recently visited would not give me rolls until they have verified them which, means unwrapping , counting. and then rewrapping them. Which, also means more sliding across a cabinet and more finger prints - very annoying.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

it depends on how much you do it. if you are tinkering, that probably works but unless standing serves a direct purpose (some people that sit for extended periods have gone to standing a lot for health reasons) i would think sitting would be easier on the back and neck (if over 40 especially).

also, unless you are in love with the desk, you could consider drilling some 1/2 holes offset from one another so you could slide the coins into tubs in the top draw(ers).

i personally find it more effective to do a bunch of one type/date at one time and if you have tubs you haven't gone all the way through but you run out of material, you could have sessions where you only do close-up work, no sorting. just spitballin.

OR if you are in love with your setup and the desk w/o a chair (is she nutz!) and even more with her, you can tell her just how much you love the desk (especially if it is true lol).

if you are a handyman. you can just modify the desk by ripping all the shelves on one (both?) sides to accommodate a chair. perhaps keep one shelf raised on the chair side? then have 8 shelves on the opposite side.

you could also be underutilizing the top. all the stuff on the right could stay there but you get some shelves/drawers with an open bottom to accommodate the existing stuff but keep more often used stuff in those shelves and/or to offset the missing bottom shelves where the chair would be?

of course, verify all structural stability no matter what. i gotta put in a mid-vertical shelf to support my 2 monitors as that shelf is staring to sag and is kinda like i mentioned for your top. open bottom, shelves on top to accomodate laptop w/dock and a calendar with a single row box of some gem red (not pink) rpm/ddo lincs i've still yet to figure out what to do with.

meh, either way. hope i stirred the creative mode. :) let us know what you do.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2022 6:31PM

@LanceNewmanOCC Yes, you have :) I'm already rearranging my set up. Problem is that the desk only fits on the current wall but I have another smaller desk (wooden art desk) that allows for sitting so I'll set it up for unrolling and sifting. And then do my spitballin and camera work on the big one.
    She would trip if I cut holes in that desk (too expensive :)
    I'll post once complete.

I finally sold this gem - turned it into almost half ounce of gold - My latest habit.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC Yes, you have :) I'm already rearranging my set up. Problem is that the desk only fits on the current wall but I have another smaller desk (wooden art desk) that allows for sitting so I'll set it up for unrolling and sifting. And then do my spitballin and camera work on the big one.
    She would trip if I cut holes in that desk (too expensive :)
    I'll post once complete.

I finally sold this gem - turned it into almost half ounce of gold - My latest habit.

Very nice, where did you come about it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file