Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve enjoyed following the roll searching action here though I haven’t had the time, initiative or energy to do any real roll searching myself for a few years. Members here, that have been going at it, have kindly shared their finds- and allowed me to enjoy the hunt vicariously. Thank you!

Recently though, I have begun to inquire when visiting local banks and I’ve been told supplies are still quite low, or they tell me that stuff is already “gone through by local regulars”- which is kind of discouraging.

I did however score an interesting cent box yesterday from a town a few miles away.
    It’s customer rolled, with many rolls labeled with dates. Bread king some open, the dates on the outside don’t make a lot of sense though. For instance, a roll labeled 45-d might had 3- 1945-d’s and the rest were all from the 1970’s.

Overall though, it appears about 40% of the volumes are indeed Wheaties from the 40’s through the 50’s, and the majority are pre 1982 coppers with less than 5% being more modern Zinc’s.
    A pretty fun box so far though the history and labels are a bit baffling.
    One one hand, I suspect they’re well gone over, but then again, I have to wonder….

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nwcoast That looks like a collectors rolls. Question is when did he/she collect them? Was it in a time before some of the varieties were even discovered.
    Happy Hunting B)

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2022 8:02AM

@Coinscratch said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC Finally at a stopping point tonight and now just playing with some of my toys :)
    Still need a rug, a taller gaming chair, and some more scoreboard ;)

Hi Coin Scratch, Very nice set-up you have. Pictures of my humble coin desk/area. It's not much, but it's home...

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch
    Also nice to see that we both use the traditional towel as our coin desktop!! lol

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2022 8:27AM

@Steven59 said:
    You guys have it way too good...........all I have is the end of an old ironing board and a few coin tools :D

makes it all the more impressive when you find something good!

the biggest table i've ever used is the floor, with a shower curtain. when i was buying foreign by the bucket full. seemed the quickest/easiest way to sort it.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@Coin_nut1977 said:
    Partial Tilted Collar

very nice. thats GOTTA be worth being in a holder?

makes the date look like it is a ddo.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

i didn't say so as i was nearing the end of my day but those are stellar pics!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Order,

has arrived!
    Black rolls!

No Enders :'(

Let's GO...

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

My Order,

has arrived!
    Black rolls!

No Enders :'(

Let's GO...

Boy, black rolls are all I can get and the last 7 boxes have been absolute skunks... ...I may have to try another box soon...

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

Finally found 2009 dimes after 13 years looking for one in change. In fact, I got 3 2009-P's and 2 2009-D's (I do admit thou that I have not roll searched dimes in a long-long, time (like almost 50 years), I have never found a 2009 dime in regular change),

What is the draw for 2009 dimes? Didn't see anything in the Redbook.

• Options

@GiveMeProof said:
    What is the draw for 2009 dimes? Didn't see anything in the Redbook.

2009 in ANY denomination, is supposedly
    Low mintage?

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭

I'll have to look that up. Thanks joeykoins.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2022 5:19PM

@Joe_360 Thanks Joe! And I would take your set up any day of the week. The feng shui is good. I started in my/that room a few years ago when it was still a formal dining room. I have since taken it over :D
    One of these days when I find the masterpiece my wife will be hearing, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE, IT"S ALLLLIIIIIIIVEE!!!

• Options

@Kliao said:
    Roll 31 of my quarter box!!!! :smiley:
    2004-D Extra Low Leaf!

You lucky dog!
    Cool find indeed

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of them are gettin' a little banged up, but they're still out there :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    morsecodemorsecode Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited March 25, 2022 9:38PM

Been awhile since I roll hunted anything, much less Lincolns (mostly for copper), but a teller who knew I liked coins asked if I wanted a box. I said sure.

Soon as she plunked them down on the counter I could see they were new, but I didn't want to appear ungrateful - she did lug them from the vault - so I took them. Turned out to be a box of 2021P.

After a few days sitting on my desk I got around to cracking a roll. Third coin in I found a spiked head, not too long but well defined. Little deeper in the roll I found several of these (photo). Then several more, then many more.

Is this normal nowadays, or is it temporary Covid quality control?

https://imgbox.com/JhLAxMk0

(I tried pasting the url in the photo drop down box, doing something wrong I guess)

• Options
    edited March 25, 2022 9:42PM

Awesome Finds, guys!

Been hunting endlessly for that "Low/High Leaf". No luck as of yet.
    Great find.
    ;)

• Options
    edited March 26, 2022 1:42AM

@morsecode said:
    Been awhile since I roll hunted anything, much less Lincolns (mostly for copper), but a teller who knew I liked coins asked if I wanted a box. I said sure.

Soon as she plunked them down on the counter I could see they were new, but I didn't want to appear ungrateful - she did lug them from the vault - so I took them. Turned out to be a box of 2021P.

After a few days sitting on my desk I got around to cracking a roll. Third coin in I found a spiked head, not too long but well defined. Little deeper in the roll I found several of these (photo). Then several more, then many more.

(I tried pasting the url in the photo drop down box, doing something wrong I guess)

That's the biggie!
    Super Cud on the obverse.
    Was going on ebay for about $300-$400.
    The 2021's you have are HOT! Check ebay. Prices probably went down but not much.
    Good Luck. :)

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coin_nut1977 said:
    Partial Tilted Collar

very nice. thats GOTTA be worth being in a holder?

makes the date look like it is a ddo.

Its in a 2x2

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@Kliao said:
    Roll 31 of my quarter box!!!! :smiley:
    2004-D Extra Low Leaf!

You lucky dog!
    Cool find indeed

Nice find! Still looking for this one.

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@joeykoins said:
    Today, I picked up a Quarter bank box where I never received one before.
    So maybe????

#109 W?

:*

Finally, yes!

#109 W V75

2020 W Rockefeller

Also, 2 2019p DDO Memorial's

Found 7 of these! Many out there

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Awesome Finds, guys!

Been hunting endlessly for that "Low/High Leaf". No luck as of yet.
    Great find.
    ;)

Really? I thought with all your hunting, you have have found one by now. The extra leaf variety is also one I have been chasing since I started CRH'ing several years ago. Very excited. Circulated but seems to still be worth around $65 from sold eBay listings.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    edited March 26, 2022 7:36AM

Lol.
    Yeah, haven't hunted down that one, yet.
    Seen 100's of Wisconsin quarters, to no avail.
    :'(

• Options
    morsecodemorsecode Posts: 25 ✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@morsecode said:

That's the biggie!
    Super Cud on the obverse.
    Was going on ebay for about $300-$400.
    The 2021's you have are HOT! Check ebay. Prices probably went down but not much.
    Good Luck. :)

Well, I had typed a response which in editing has disappeared...but to summarize:

I have seen the news about the 7 o'clock to 3 rim to rim die break. I don't think this is related to that. Starts at 6 and runs vertical. 34 rolls have yielded 271 identical examples (not finished with the box). There's no progression in the crack. They all look like the photo.

The same box yielded around 70 spiked heads. They differ a bit.

• Options

@morsecode Welcome to the forum, love the dumb luck on the box of P's.

I think it takes a few days to gain full access here for photographs. And anytime you edit a post there is a good chance of it disappearing completely, even if it says it will post once approved. Like a built-in firewall the site also doesn't like certain types of videos. I couldn't tell you the specifics although YT vids work well.

• Options

Picked up 10 2021p rolls.
    Hoping for the super cud!

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2022 12:12PM

@joeykoins said:
    Picked up 10 2021p rolls.
    Hoping for the super cud!

Good for you Joey! I hope you find more then one. The cud errors apparently were produced late in the year.
    I got 10 rolls of 2022-P's cents from the bank-I opened one roll and found nothing and then quickly sold the rest on ebay for $3.00 a roll. Amazing marking right now for new coins!! Sell those Maya quarters right away while there is still a market.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2022 12:43PM

@rec78 said:

... Amazing marking right now for new coins!! Sell those Maya quarters right away while there is still a market.

You're right about how Hot the modern coins have been. About the Maya's.
    Sold all 66 rolls about 2 hrs. ago. He (my dealer friend) lowered the price a tad. From $13 per roll to $12.50. Still, I made a decent profit! $159. Bought a couple other items from his shop. I'll show later.
    ;)
    Thanks

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    My TV's finally came in from I would say from my recent finds my order received last November, not complaining :)

Very nice set of coins.
    You have a good eye.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Improperly annealed?
    Not something I have experience with at all...anyone else?

Just pulled this out.
    You all know what the WCD quarters are looking like even if they're pretty beaten up so this one really caught me off guard.

The obverse is dull with greys, reds, and greens. And those areas of yellow on the perimeter.
    The reverse is speckled with grey and blues and reds when moved around but nothing chrome like.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited March 26, 2022 3:57PM

@joeykoins said:

...Bought a couple other items from his shop. I'll show later.

;)
    Thanks

Here are the two other items I picked up.
    In the "Cool, Category".

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    Improperly annealed?
    Not something I have experience with at all...anyone else?

Just pulled this out.
    You all know what the WCD quarters are looking like even if they're pretty beaten up so this one really caught me off guard.

The obverse is dull with greys, reds, and greens. And those areas of yellow on the perimeter.
    The reverse is speckled with grey and blues and reds when moved around but nothing chrome like.

Kind of leaning towards PMD because of the stains on it but I’m not an expert. Here’s a one sided one I found a few months back.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1069522/anything-special-with-this-2021-quarter-possible-planchet-error

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@Coinscratch said:
    My TV's finally came in from I would say from my recent finds my order received last November, not complaining :)

Very nice set of coins.
    You have a good eye.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wayne

Thank you Wayne!
    As you know a lot of effort goes into it from start to finish. So it’s always rewarding when you get positive results.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

nice images and presentation. you are obviously NOT messing around!

i presume from the turnaround time, you went economy BUT opted for TVs? or did you go regular and it just too a REALLY long time?

i only as because if economy takes that long AND you still go for TVs, for maybe just a little bit more money, you can go regular and cut down the turnaround time and still get TVs w/o paying for them since economy doesn't come with them i believe. something along those lines.

for a learning process with a STEEP learning curve, only getting 4 updates a year is pretty rough.

although, if one considering doing this a hobby with benefits (lol), all-in-all, a pretty enjoyable way to spend time and money, ESPECIALLY in the new and improved coin headquarters. hehe

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC
    Hey Lance - I take it serious in the sense that I rarely buy coins and am building this set based solely on finds.
    At the end of the day it’s gonna cost more - or is it? Kind of like an amortization chart I’m paying the interest upfront while earning a Masters in grading.
    The jury is still out as to what grade I’m currently in :D Just when I think I’ve got it all figured out the graders prove me wrong. But I am progressing.

Aside from my first few orders I’ve always used regular with Gold Shield for the simple reason of the TV. Easily the best tool for learning. And yes, they’re backed up 3 to 4 months and I’m itching to get the next order off.

For me it’s a hobby with benefits lol the benefit is flipping the excess for gold. I was gonna flip that Jeff but it’s growing on me and instead will be the start of another set. At least for now :D

• Options
    edited March 28, 2022 7:30PM

Another Box

Toner Beauty!
    After the 4th roll

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file