Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 8:00PM

I managed to get $1000 in quarters-The worst I ever got (with one possible exception). There only were about 10 coins dated after 2016, thus no chance for "W"'s. There were many uncirculated 2016 and 2015 coins. (I kept none of these) I found no varieties, well maybe one. 468 washer coins or more (almost 12% which seems awfully high) No silver.

What????? A 2010-P Yellowstone quarter struck in silver? or 40% silver or? This coin looks original and has a silver look, The weight is 5.73g on my uncalibrated chinese scale when a regular clad quarter weighs 5.63 on this scale and the official minted weight is supposed to be 5.67g. Well within tolerance of a clad quarter, but still over. What do you think of it?

What appears to be black marks on the rim is just reflection. The rim is silver looking all the way around. At first I thought it was a pre-1965 coin. There appears to be no center layer.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 8:04PM

Well the weak WE is just from an over polished die - But nice toning if the pic shows in hand~

EDIT - just noticed how there is a ridge ring starting to form on the reverse also - definitely a worn set of dies! Polished to keep them going -

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 That was tough dry run. Better luck next run.

@rec78 said:
    I managed to get $1000 in quarters-

A thousand????

@Steven59 said:

@rec78 said:
    I managed to get $1000 in quarters-

A thousand????

Yes two $500 boxes. If the 2010 is silver or ?, well worth the effort for just one coin! Easy to dump the searched coins now! The girl at the one bank was very happy to take them!

@CoinscratchFever said:

It's not dry yet- check out the 2010! One coin may have made it well worth the effort!!

@rec78 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

It's not dry yet- check out the 2010! One coin may have made it well worth the effort!!

Have you tried the sound check? Silver definitely sounds different when pinged.

edited July 14, 2021 9:57PM

@CoinscratchFever said:

@rec78 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

No, that does not work for me, I am tone deaf. I cannot detect a difference, maybe others can, but, I cannot.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 11:06PM

Back to that peculiar 1971d.

Look at this dazzler! Business strike?

B)<3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

@rec78 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@rec78 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

No, that does not work for me, I am tone deaf. I cannot detect a difference, maybe others can, but, I cannot.

Make two stacks of quarters like poker chips. One stack with the silver in the middle. Lift the first stack 1" and slowly feather drop. You know, like they do when playing Texas Hold'em. Now try the other stack and repeat until you hear the difference and let me know what happens :D

edited July 15, 2021 10:53AM

Maybe, Maybe???

Haven't seen these in awhile. Could be good?

:*<3

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

No luck, but only

THIS!

@joeykoins said:

Ugly but SILVER!

Would make a good candidate to practice dipping on......

edited July 15, 2021 2:45PM

I Did! :D

Still Ugly

@joeykoins said:
    No luck, but only

THIS!

Love the toning on that one 👍

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@rec78 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Try visiting a local LCS or jewelry store. They might have an XRF that can list out the metals in the quarter.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

edited July 15, 2021 6:30PM

Easier way is Tissue test - silver shines through - clad doesn't. There were so many plated State Quarter sets that arent worth a crap today so people just broke them out and put them into circulation..............Plating can add to the original weight - so that may be what you have.

@USSID17 said:
    I would say it's official. They're dumping them into circulation.

I don't get it - halves never worked in circulation before so why do they think it will work now? OH, new regime............ :D

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2021 7:52PM

@Steven59 said:

@USSID17 said:
    I would say it's official. They're dumping them into circulation.

I don't get it - halves never worked in circulation before so why do they think it will work now? OH, new regime............ :D

There seems to be a lack of quarters in circulation. I guess they think halves will help mitigate the problem.

The large and small dollar coins never seemed to work in circulation either....................except in Vegas!

@USSID17 said:
    There seems to be a lack of quarters in circulation. I guess they think halves will help mitigate the problem.

The large and small dollar coins never seemed to work in circulation either....................except in Vegas!

Large dollar coins - LOL - could you carry around a pocket full of Ikes? Now you know why those dudes had their pants around their knees when they were trying to outrun the Cops - Brilliant, EH? LOL! Should have stole the dollar bill collection. Alot less "weighty"

@Steven59 said:
    Easier way is Tissue test - silver shines through - clad doesn't. There were so many plated State Quarter sets that arent worth a crap today so people just broke them out and put them into circulation..............Plating can add to the original weight - so that may be what you have.

You sure that works? Sounds like an old wives' tale, are you an old wife :D
    Seriously though what if the clad looks like silver! Is it still gonna show darker or what if the silver is dark.
    I'm finally putting an order together tonight over a few cold ones and I'm calling BS on this one :D

edited July 15, 2021 8:34PM

@CoinscratchFever said:

You sure that works? Sounds like an old wives' tale, are you an old wife :D

I'm finally putting an order together tonight over a few cold ones and I'm calling BS on this one :D

"C'mon Man" - it's on the internet so it has to be true :D ! And does BS mean "Black Sheep"??

Nah, BS means poppycock, nonsense, disparates, hoy no, or no bueno :D

Okay! It only took 2 margaritas and four beers (in that order) to make the final decisions (that’s the hardest part), find the right packaging (the screw box is labeled zinc and most of them are and then put that box inside the same box they came from), tape it up w/o forgetting the paperwork…
    (Let’s see what else…# 5 and the hunt gets the ole reset ;)

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    I managed to get $1000 in quarters-The worst I ever got (with one possible exception). There only were about 10 coins dated after 2016, thus no chance for "W"'s. There were many uncirculated 2016 and 2015 coins. (I kept none of these) I found no varieties, well maybe one. 468 washer coins or more (almost 12% which seems awfully high) No silver.

What????? A 2010-P Yellowstone quarter struck in silver? or 40% silver or? This coin looks original and has a silver look, The weight is 5.73g on my uncalibrated chinese scale when a regular clad quarter weighs 5.63 on this scale and the official minted weight is supposed to be 5.67g. Well within tolerance of a clad quarter, but still over. What do you think of it?

What appears to be black marks on the rim is just reflection. The rim is silver looking all the way around. At first I thought it was a pre-1965 coin. There appears to be no center layer.

My vote is clad quarter. Sorry!

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

How will that work on plated coins? I would think an XRF would be the most effective way to know.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for you Kennedy searchers, I see that a 1972 D with no "FG" is now listed in a MS66 grade by PCGS. Pop 1 with none higher.
    There are now 6 in a MS63 grade, 2 in a MS64 grade and one in a MS64+ grade.
    There are currently no coins graded in a MS65.
    See: PCGS# 147888 Cert# 41353225
    SO KEEP LOOKING.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Update: 16 July 2021

https://www.coinworld.com/

@WAYNEAS said:
    Just for you Kennedy searchers, I see that a 1972 D with no "FG" is now listed in a MS66 grade by PCGS. Pop 1 with none higher.
    There are now 6 in a MS63 grade, 2 in a MS64 grade and one in a MS64+ grade.
    There are currently no coins graded in a MS65.
    See: PCGS# 147888 Cert# 41353225
    SO KEEP LOOKING.
    Wayne

I have a bunch of them. Just one small problem........they're no where near 66,65,54,63,62,61,60 or AU. :s

Got a call from one of my banks this morning: "We have a box. You want it, come a get it"

When I got there, I could see the box behind the counter. It was a mess! I thought for sure it was already searched. I couldn't say no.

But it wasn't.

Man @Steven59, you're pulling Wheat's from circulation like Joey pulls silver!.......................or like I pull W's.

edited July 16, 2021 5:04PM

@Dstnfx said:
    Hey everyone I’ve never done any coin roll hunting before. Picked up a roll of pennies at my local grocery store, just for the heck of it. Found this 1954 D wheat, gotta admit I kind of want to search more rolls now lol.

....and that's how it's done!

edited July 16, 2021 5:08PM

@Dstnfx said:
    Hey everyone I’ve never done any coin roll hunting before. Picked up a roll of pennies at my local grocery store, just for the heck of it. Found this 1954 D wheat, gotta admit I kind of want to search more rolls now lol.

And just like that - you're "hooked" :D

Oh sure, at first just a few rolls, then $20 dollars worth of Cents and Nickels, then boxes............and "BOOM" just like that, you can't stop! LOL!!!!!!!!!

Hey Tom, 40% are cool to find but last time I tried to sell a roll I barely got melt. Now the 64's are great to keep, although silver is down today with the economy............

@Steven59 said:
    Hey Tom, 40% are cool to find but last time I tried to sell a roll I barely got melt. Now the 64's are great to keep, although silver is down today with the economy............

I think we gotta wait for silver to go back up.

@USSID17 said:

@Steven59 said:

Nice finds, dude! Silver is SILVER! Awesome proofs as well. ;)<3

@Dstnfx said:

Nice catch. Now, it just CAUGHT you! Lol :D

@Steven59 said:
    Pulled a 33-D today, Mintage of 6.2 million - but damaged with 2 deep hits on the reverse :'(

Yes! Pretty low mintage too. B)

@joeykoins said:

@USSID17 said:

@Steven59 said:

Nice finds, dude! Silver is SILVER! Awesome proofs as well. ;)<3

The clad proofs get thrown back. I can't afford to keep them. You wantem'?

@USSID17 said:
    The clad proofs get thrown back. I can't afford to keep them. You wantem'?

Lol. No thanks. Thanks for asking. ;)

Hey guys, does this look like PMD or some type of a clipped or semi clipped planchet?

The area around the mishap looks to be very clean.

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Hey guys, does this look like PMD or some type of a clipped or semi clipped planchet?

The area around the mishap looks to be very clean.

My first thought was some type of mint error. Is there damage on the opposite side of that hit (anomaly) on the rim?

edited July 17, 2021 2:52PM

This looks like a hit on the opposite side of the coin. Blakesley effect?

I'de say there's no way that could be from the strike. Some kind of perfect hit with metal movement. But it sure looks good for an eBay sale! LOL

I’m not sure about the reverse damaged or not. Maybe we should call in the expert @ErrorsOnCoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file