Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins A proof cent maybe, it'll be a while before I get to it. I haven't even checked it into the system yet. But the coins have arrived safely. Sound familiar?

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

First Canadian dollar I got in a dollar roll:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17.... That is great... silver in change, from a bank.... I would have asked for a further five dollars in quarters from that teller. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17 said:
    You just never know!!!....

So I hit a random bank today a few towns over. I walked in very friendly and made eye contact with the first teller I saw. I just walked up and said: Hi, would you mind checking to see if you guys have any half dollars in the bank you wanta get rid of?

She checked her draw and pulled out three. She then asked the other tellers. Non of them had any. You want these she said; I could see they were junk clad but I said sure, thank you! So I gave her $2.00. She gave me the 3 half dollars and 2 quarters.

You should have asked for $5 in quarters

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

:):):)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2021 10:00AM

@rec78 said:
    First Canadian dollar I got in a dollar roll:

Awesome, dude. With a dash of toning to boot. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update as promised. My box of quarters yielded two W quarters and a 1965 that appeared to be silver in the stack but upon closer inspection does have a minimal amount of copper showing on the rim😩. Doesn't it look like it in the stack?

For a few minutes I thought I had me a 1965 silver!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2021 12:39PM

Congrats. 2 more to your W collection. ;)
    My tally is so far 61. I'm guessing your at double that? Or more!!! :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Congrats. 2 more to your W collection. ;)
    My tally is so far 61. I'm guessing your at double that? Or more!!! :D

Thanks Joey! Great to be back in the hunt!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got $200 in quarters today and I finally found some W's. A 2019 War in the Pacific and a 2020 Weir Farm. :smiley:

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Got $200 in quarters today and I finally found some W's. A 2019 War in the Pacific and a 2020 Weir Farm. :smiley:

One of each year! Very nice @Kliao!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17 said:

@Kliao said:

One of each year! Very nice @Kliao!

Thanks! These are actually the first W's that I've found and the second and third W quarters in my collection. I probably would have had more by now but took a break from CRH when the pandemic hit for more than a year. Very excited :p

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Another trio from the wheat cent bag......

Did you used Verdi-Care on those coins. It looks like it. They look good!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2021 11:17AM

@USSID17 said:

No, I used that "home made" Verdi-Care I made that I mentioned to you I was working on a few years ago. I'm probably biased but I think it does a better job - LOL :)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Just picked up a box of Halves that I ordered last week. Quick sort for enders, NIFCs 07,08,09,10,12,12,14,18, and 18. Couple of others show the reverse. Teller told me that they had two in the order, mine and ?. Told the teller maybe some one else might have ordered it, I will go back in a couple of days to see if it its still there. Cheers.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@USSID17 said:

No, I used that "home made" Verdi-Care I made that I mentioned to you I was working on a few years ago. I'm probably biased but I think it does a better job - LOL :)

Verdi-Care? Never heard of it till now guys and it looks like it works pretty well. So do you mind posting the homemade version? Or is it top secret :D I'm about to go through a bunch of Wheats I recently picked up.
    Secondly, is this safe to use on more modern and zinc cents?

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Steven59 said:

@USSID17 said:

Verdi-Care? Never heard of it till now guys and it looks like it works pretty well.

Check out this thread @CoinscratchFever..

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12966453#Comment_12966453

• Options

I was never really impressed with Verdi-Care - I still have most of the 2oz bottle I bought years ago when it was readily available. I would rather use my "home brew" on coppers unless they have a really bad case of verdigris,

• Options
  • Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Verdi-Care? Never heard of it till now guys and it looks like it works pretty well. So do you mind posting the homemade version? Or is it top secret

I don't know about "Top secret" but...................

B)

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    I was never really impressed with Verdi-Care - I still have most of the 2oz bottle I bought years ago when it was readily available. I would rather use my "home brew" on coppers unless they have a really bad case of verdigris,

I'm just trying to remove funk & gunk. In my experiences acetone is bad for copper. I've heard different, here on the forum but you might as well throw the coin in the washer & dryer.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2021 7:25PM

And I wouldn't use 99% of them.

• Options

But we could market it and get rich! We could be just like that Tiger Woods and his daddy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivttRxV7idY

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    But we could market it and get rich! We could be just like that Tiger Woods and his daddy!

His daddy taught him how to drive a club but not a car! :D

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Steven59 said:

I'm just trying to remove funk & gunk. In my experiences acetone is bad for copper. I've heard different, here on the forum but you might as well throw the coin in the washer & dryer.

I have overlooked pennies, dimes in the little change pocket of my jeans from time to time. They come out looking amazing after they have been trough the washer and dryer. Don't know why they did not fall out of the change pocket. I might try a few of the Wheats just to see how they hold up over time. Cheers.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a Rhode Island quarter and found this. Numbering ? Just a waste of time and money, if you ask me.

• Options

Raining today so had some time to do more searching - pulled out a Philly short set...........

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

I am a newbie to coin roll hunting. I purchased 2 seal boxes of halves. Sadly, I did not find any silver but I did pull 64 NIFC (the 2002 - current) and one 1987. Does this sound normal or unreasonable for 2 boxes? Or would this be considered good for the NIFCs? Is it surprising that I found no silver at all? Thank you in advance for any insight.

On a side note, I did get a $200 bag of nickels and was shocked to find 2 Buffalos and a 1910 Liberty. I was quite surprised to get those.

• Options

@yankeeno7 said:
    I am a newbie to coin roll hunting. I purchased 2 seal boxes of halves. Sadly, I did not find any silver but I did pull 64 NIFC (the 2002 - current) and one 1987. Does this sound normal or unreasonable for 2 boxes? Or would this be considered good for the NIFCs? Is it surprising that I found no silver at all? Thank you in advance for any insight.

On a side note, I did get a $200 bag of nickels and was shocked to find 2 Buffalos and a 1910 Liberty. I was quite surprised to get those.

Welcome to the hunt. It's not surprising you didn't find any silver in those boxes. It's purely the luck of the draw. You could go 15 boxes of finding nothing and the next box could have a bunch of silver Kennedy's, Franklin's or ever Walkers.

It's not uncommon to find tons of NIFC coins in boxes. You're finding NIFC coins because they're junk clad. Serious collectors don't want them, throw them back or break them out of mint sets a spend them. That's how they end-up back in circulation.

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    Welcome to the hunt. It's not surprising you didn't find any silver in those boxes. It's purely the luck of the draw. You could go 15 boxes of finding nothing and the next box could have a bunch of silver Kennedy's, Franklin's or ever Walkers.

It's not uncommon to find tons of NIFC coins in boxes. You're finding NIFC coins because they're junk clad. Serious collectors don't want them, throw them back or break them out of mint sets a spend them. That's how they end-up back in circulation.

Thank you. I'll still try my luck getting those boxes. Before I got the boxes, I purchased 15 rolls and was lucky enough to find a 1972 no FG.

I enjoy watching the coin roll hunters on youtube. I hear a lot of them saving NIFC's because of the low production but like you said, I dont see any premium for them. There was also a 2009 S clad too. I just remembered I got that one. I may have found a DDO or two. I just got my USB microscope so I will take a better look. I find it tiring looking for DDOs but maybe I won't anymore with the USB microscope.

I have a few rolls of pennies to look through. I have made and initial sifting through them to pull the wheaties. I think Im going to enjoy the pennies more than anything else.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2021 9:02PM

@yankeeno7 said:

@USSID17 said:

Thank you. I'll still try my luck getting those boxes. Before I got the boxes, I purchased 15 rolls and was lucky enough to find a 1972 no FG.

I enjoy watching the coin roll hunters on youtube. I hear a lot of them saving NIFC's because of the low production but like you said, I dont see any premium for them. There was also a 2009 S clad too. I just remembered I got that one. I may have found a DDO or two. I just got my USB microscope so I will take a better look. I find it tiring looking for DDOs but maybe I won't anymore with the USB microscope.

I have a few rolls of pennies to look through. I have made and initial sifting through them to pull the wheaties. I think Im going to enjoy the pennies more than anything else.

Congrats on the 72 No FG.

Yes, the DDO's are still out there. Also look for:

71-D DDO
    72 DDO
    72-D DDO
    73-D DDO
    74-D DDO
    77-D DDO
    82 No FG

I've also found some nice struck thru's and minor clips along the way.

I find it tiring looking at cents, they kill my eyes! Yes, your USB microscope will help. Good luck with your searching.

• Options

Thank you with that very helpful info. I also learned there is a 1983 no FG. I have yet to find any clipped or struck thru's as of yet. I look forward to the next box!

• Options

Yes, there is a 83 No FG as well.

Don't forget the 90 & 40% silver's.

64 DDO/DDR
    64-D DDO/RPM
    65 DDR
    66 DDO, No FG
    67 DDO/DDR
    68-D Triple Die Obv.

There might be a few more but I think that's the bulk of them.

• Options
    edited June 27, 2021 9:34AM

@USSID17 said:

I disagree, Serious collectors need them in their sets. Serious collectors do want them. Please throw them back and spend them so I can find them. However, having said that, the high mintage dates such as 2013 and 2018's are not real NIFC's-yes, throw them back as they have no long or short term potential. I do not know if collectors or the mint termed the term NIFC. I do not think the 2013 and 2018 dates can to be determined to be NIFC's. I like finding coins with low mintages in circulation no matter how new.
    I just went through $1000 in bank wrapped halves and found only 1 NIFC a 2007-P. A new low for me. Where have they all gone? I found more sliver coins than NIFC's in those two boxes!! (a 1964 and 1966).

• Options

@yankeeno7 said:
    Thank you with that very helpful info. I also learned there is a 1983 no FG. I have yet to find any clipped or struck thru's as of yet. I look forward to the next box!

Good luck on finding error coins. I searched about 30 boxes of halves in the past 3 months and have not found any errors. But with halves, if you do find a neat error, it will be well worth your while.

• Options

@rec78 said:

@USSID17 said:

I disagree, Serious collectors need them in their sets. Serious collectors do want them. Please throw them back and spend them so I can find them. However, having said that, the high mintage dates such as 2013 and 2018's are not real NIFC's-yes, throw them back as they have no long or short term potential. I do not know if collectors or the mint termed the term NIFC. I do not think the 2013 and 2018 dates can to be determined to be NIFC's. I like finding coins with low mintages in circulation no matter how new.
    I just went through $1000 in bank wrapped halves and found only 1 NIFC a 2007-P. A new low for me. Where have they all gone? I found more sliver coins than NIFC's in those two boxes!! (a 1964 and 1966).

I think you're right. We all have different priorities.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Common date but 2 varieties and an error on the obverse: "BIE", "Die Chip "B", and a rim to rim Lam.......

That is one neat coin with that die crack. Would be neat to see a coin like that in BU condition!

• Options

@rec78 said:

@Steven59 said:
    Common date but 2 varieties and an error on the obverse: "BIE", "Die Chip "B", and a rim to rim Lam.......

That is one neat coin with that die crack. Would be neat to see a coin like that in BU condition!

I disagree, it's not a die crack it's a lamination.

• Options

Nice @USSID17 - Butch's giving spirit lives on through others!

• Options

Lmao skunk piss? What’s it smell like :D
    Who cares it works great!

• Options

Better yet, how do you smell after acquiring some, lol.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2021 7:33PM

@CoinscratchFever said:

Doesn't really have a smell! Like I said, been working on this for over 2 years. Can I PM you?

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Doesn't really have a smell! Like I said, been working on this for over 2 years. Can I PM you?

Anytime.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2021 8:28PM

Just curious from anyone opening boxes of quarters - how many W quarters on average would you say would come in a box? Or is it rare just to find any while roll hunting?

edited to clarify

• Options

@yankeeno7 said:
    Just curious from anyone opening boxes of quarters - how many W quarters on average would you say would come in a box? Or is it rare just to find any while roll hunting?

edited to clarify

Speaking for myself, it's completely random from where I sit. You could go 15 boxes with nothing. The next box..................25 W's pop out. So to answer your question...1 or 2 per box?? I don't know, maybe.

• Options

My average is 1 per box.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file